Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xenaero posted:

drat the solar weapons don't seem really great. Shoulda saved the fragments for something else.

I found them to both be really good, and going with the highest defense armor is also useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You can have a cliff that goes like this:
code:
      |
      |
  ->  |
     /
    |
and if you spam click the area where the arrow is you can dump a bucket of water, let a bit of it flow and pick it up too, that way you can fill a lake sort of fast. Or just get the hardmode bottomless bucket, it's far less painful.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Speaking of the new water physics, it may need a bit of tweaking. On worldgen most of my jungle is flooded with huge lakes, so I decide to drain one off so I can do some landscaping. Cue about 25% of my underground jungle getting flooded and the lake hasn't dropped a loving inch. :mad:
Also I finally got sick of looking for them so I used a map viewer to find the strange plants on my world. Turns out there was only two of them, both fairly deep underground. Got Reflective Gold and Reflective Obsidian dyes, and they are the poo poo. They look so loving cool.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I Said No posted:

Also I finally got sick of looking for them so I used a map viewer to find the strange plants on my world.

What's the best for finding strange plants, the wiki suggests a dozen map editors and viewers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RatHat posted:

For those of you having trouble with traps, carry around Wire Cutters. When you have them in your hotbar and switch to them you can see all the wires around you, makes it really easy to spot traps. As a bonus you can also easily disable them and take the wire for yourself.

Shamelessly stealing your idea for npc housing design.

I'm pretty uncreative with my house design, I just like to show off all the stuff you can make.

It bothers me that not everything has a furniture set or platform. Still undecided if I want the ores to be under ground or just keep going up into the sky.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Spergminer posted:

What's the best for finding strange plants, the wiki suggests a dozen map editors and viewers.

Terramap. If you're looking for strange plants, you want to check "Dye Flowers" and not the blocks actually called Strange Plant 1 2 3 and 4.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I Said No posted:

Terramap. If you're looking for strange plants, you want to check "Dye Flowers" and not the blocks actually called Strange Plant 1 2 3 and 4.

nm, I'm stupid

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yeah, strange plants are rare not because the chances for them to spawn are low, but because they are too embarrassed to be seen within 350 blocks of any other dye plant, strange or mundane. That might sound reasonable until you realize that you pretty much have to build a farm as high on your map as you can, because a single marigold can block 1/12 of the entire surface of your world from spawning strange plants. The closer to the ground you want your farm the more underground dye plants like orange bloodroot and the green and teal mushrooms will also start to annoy you and those will pop up in places that will pretty much require a map viewer to find, so do yourself a favor if you want the cool dyes and build your farm up in space so you only need to patrol the surface. The plants are as tall as you are, so make sure you have enough room to walk on the dirt. Don't bring a staff of regrowth or plant any grass seeds, that will allow blue berries and yellow marigolds to spawn and you don't want those.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All those "organic" houses have inspired me to stop being such an OCD lunatic who makes everything symetrical. I almost wish I didn't have a social life so I could play this more.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

I Said No posted:

Good thing I never looked too hard for these plants before because according to this, my world doesn't have any. Inventory editor here I come.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

just cheat in the dyes you want because strange plants are bad enough, but the dye you get is random

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

oddium posted:

just cheat in the dyes you want because strange plants are bad enough, but the dye you get is random

Seriously.

For example I cheated myself 99 of all four plants and got less than half of the dyes, a ton of repeats, but very few of them.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

SirSamVimes posted:

Fishing the surface jungle in hardmode is the worst experience in the world. Derplings are awful.

Then the game gave me the Seedler and I forgave it everything. Sweet christ this is a good sword.

You actually fished that up? on the surface or underground?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Here's last night's little project

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

King Doom posted:

You actually fished that up? on the surface or underground?

Anywhere as long as it's jungle (you can probably create your own biome and fish it out). I fould using spider summons really helped keep random mobs at bay while fishing in the jungle. You can also fish through a 1 block space, so wall yourself in (it may take you a number of tries to get the lure through the small space though).

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
With different ores being equivalent to each other and there being a recipe using either ore usually to make an item can you use some of both ore to make one item or does it have to be all of one or the other? I can't play right now to test this out nor do I think I have enough of tin to make a bar to try it out with. I will also jump on the bandwagon and praise how cheap and easy fishing is to get some OP equipment respectively early. With water walking boots at the ocean, nothing bothers me and I can fish for days. Reavershark and swordfish found withing ten min with a reinforced rod and enchanted nightcrawlers, now to get the rockfish.

Also, I wouldn't worry about making sure its the right time of day or that its raining or any of the other modifiers that boost fishing. I fishing during the day while it was raining on moon phase I believe decreased my chances and still had no problems finding it rather quickly.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 9, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Potential BFF posted:

Here's last night's little project

:stare:

Dat's pretty cool. :ssh:

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I'm hitting the same wall that I always do in Hardmode, that being the mechanical bosses. I have full adamantite, Godly Amrok and Godly Poison Staff. The best ranged weapon I have is a boomstick with explosive rounds, and even with a quickly constructed arena of wood platforms I cannot for the life of me defeat the Destroyer, which seems to be the easiest hardmode boss. I've seriously never successfully beaten a hardmode boss in an embarrassing amount of playtime. Anything I'm missing here?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Potions and food buffs help a lot. Try reforging your items to get better prefixes on them, too. Maybe set up campfire and heart lanterns too in your arena.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm hitting the same wall that I always do in Hardmode, that being the mechanical bosses. I have full adamantite, Godly Amrok and Godly Poison Staff. The best ranged weapon I have is a boomstick with explosive rounds, and even with a quickly constructed arena of wood platforms I cannot for the life of me defeat the Destroyer, which seems to be the easiest hardmode boss. I've seriously never successfully beaten a hardmode boss in an embarrassing amount of playtime. Anything I'm missing here?

There are plenty of tips but here are a few:

1. Increase your defense as much as possible. Get "Warding" for your accessories, use ironskin potions, etc.
2. Stack as much life regen as possible in your arena. Campfires, heart lanterns, potions, etc.
3. Get more creative with your arena. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZa3nrIerk

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Invisible Ted posted:

I recommend that you farm hollow mimics for a daedalus bow. You can farm souls of light in any number of ways and make 15 of them into a key. Put said key in an empty chest and it'll spawn a hollow mimic on demand. You can also make a mimic farm in the underground hallow if you'd prefer. Then, collect stars to make holy arrows. The resulting hail of stars will let you kill The Destroyer in short order, and works well against most hardmode bosses.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my destroyer arena was a 7x7 hollow box ~200 blocks up with a small hole in the bottom to hurl magic knives through. sometimes probes float through the walls but they're no big deal

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The probes are the part of the Destroyer that will kill you. The body is big and scary but it's kind of a red herring. Kill the probes ASAP or you will get overwhelmed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, what new mechanics do the mech bosses have on Expert? I didn't actually notice any.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
(On Expert) We did Skeletron and the Twins last night and they were much easier than expected. We had less trouble with the mechanical bosses and pre hardmode skeletron. AND we did Plantera on our first try. Having the nurse available to heal almost trivializes these bosses,

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Coming back to this after not playing for a long time. So there are about a billion crafting recipes now. Assuming that you have all your crafting stations neatly packed together for maximum efficiency, is there a way to find specific recipes faster? I feel like I'm getting carpal tunnel scrolling through 1,000 recipes every time I want to make a door.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Click on the little hammer icon with the squares, it changes it to a grid so you can select what you want easier than scrolling!

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

GenericOverusedName posted:

The probes are the part of the Destroyer that will kill you. The body is big and scary but it's kind of a red herring. Kill the probes ASAP or you will get overwhelmed.

That's been my issue, I can't really kill the probes fast enough. Currently farming souls of light though after getting killed by a hallowed mimic that I spawned, though. Thanks for the suggestions!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

Having the nurse available to heal almost trivializes these bosses,

Oh yeah I almost forgot about this tip. Making a secure room high in the sky above your arena for the nurse along with a bed so you can spawn/teleport there whenever you want trivializes nearly all boss fights.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

So, what new mechanics do the mech bosses have on Expert? I didn't actually notice any.

I've only done The Twins so far but they seem exactly the same. There might have been the whole "more aggression as they're near-death" effect like what the WoF and EoC have but it wasn't super-noticeable.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

How would I go about linking an image without table breaking anything? Idk if clicking to enlarge is an SA Last Read specific feature.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Seven Force posted:

How would I go about linking an image without table breaking anything? Idk if clicking to enlarge is an SA Last Read specific feature.

Just wrap it in timg tags and it should be fine.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Seven Force posted:

Just replace img with timg in the brackets.
efb

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Thanks!

My world has been awesome to me. I lucked out in having a couple of floating islands right over my spawnpoint. I found a lucky horseshoe and something else I don't remember at the moment. It made going to hell easier. Also bombed my way into breaking a couple of shadow orbs and getting a vilethorn. After getting a poo poo ton of mana stars I was able to beat the eye and skeletron in one go. I feel pretty invincible right now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Good lord, do turtles even still drop turtle shells? I've killed over 30 of the bastards without a single one dropping.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Seven Force posted:

I feel pretty invincible right now.
Oh there's always something in the game that can take this feeling away real quick, just you wait :smug:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

GenericOverusedName posted:

Click on the little hammer icon with the squares, it changes it to a grid so you can select what you want easier than scrolling!

Huh. I did that, but I might not have done it while near the crafting stations (and thus didn't necessarily see the full effect). I will try it again, thanks!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Good lord, do turtles even still drop turtle shells? I've killed over 30 of the bastards without a single one dropping.
Yeah, but they're way rarer than they used to be. Which makes sense I guess, you only ever need three total.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Supremezero posted:

I made a new small world, rushed down to kill WoF and then set up a barebones afk farming bunker in the jungle. After about an hour of doing other poo poo while turtles and derplings hurled themselves into lava I had a grand total of 2 shells.

Basically, it's going to take more than 30 to get the shells you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Asimo posted:

Yeah, but they're way rarer than they used to be. Which makes sense I guess, you only ever need three total.

You need 4 if you want access to both variants of the Beetle armor.

7 if you want that AND a set of Turtle Armor, I guess.