Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Hottest of takes.

"Trump is strong, that's part of his strength" - Mark Halperin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

colonel_korn posted:

Just wanted to share this incredible cartoon from the Politoons thread, probably my favourite of the year so far.

punching women so hard you knock out their teeth: a value the GOP endorses and supports

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

He's not wrong.

Of course but now the right is going to start screaming that it's proof that Obama was a lovely president and his own party doesn't like him anymore. Yeah recovery is happening but the recovery has been rather "meh."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

punching women so hard you knock out their teeth: a value the GOP endorses and supports

You know she's a liberal when there's teeth there to be knocked out.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

That's not a woman, though?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course but now the right is going to start screaming that it's proof that Obama was a lovely president and his own party doesn't like him anymore. Yeah recovery is happening but the recovery has been rather "meh."

The right has never waited for permission or indeed reason to scream poo poo about Obama before.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Winter Stormer posted:

I'm going by the "Ms. Media" button. I think it's supposed to a masculine-looking woman.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Winter Stormer posted:

But her name is Ms. Media? :confused:

Edit: I know "Main Stream Media". The cartoon is bad though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm going by the "Ms. Media" button. I think it's supposed to a masculine-looking woman.

Mainstream Media.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
It's 'MS Media', not 'Ms', so I'm guessing he abbreviated 'Mainstream' for some reason.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
can we keep bad cartoonchat to the bad cartoonchat thread tia

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't this also true???

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

The right has never waited for permission or indeed reason to scream poo poo about Obama before.

No but they grab hold at anything that gives legitimacy to it. Somebody on the left criticizing Obama is one of those things. Granted the right has also been openly and gleefully sabotaging Obama's ability to do anything at all ever so it's largely their own fault the recovery has sucked.

But then this is also the party that declared their primary goal was to ensure that Obama was a one-term president by making life in America suck as much as possible during his term.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They can't shout too loud about it, the Republican party doesn't want to report anything other than the U3 either. Sanders is a labor guy, talking about how the system is broken and the stats are set up to lie to you is his bread and butter. The GOP can't afford to get too much of that mess on them in case it sticks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

*sips tea*

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
every time I hear his name, I always think of: Reince Priebus Forced Back Into Ancient Puzzle Box After Being Tricked Into Saying Name Backwards

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trump is the id of the GOP

Our id has donated to Hillary and the Clintons came to it's wedding?

(should I gender id I dunno crowdsourcing this)

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Guys you may not aware but gender is a social construct.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I keep hearing how labor force participation rate is declining due to Boomers retiring, but that doesn't make sense as there are more Millennials than Boomers and they are nearly all of working age at this point or will be soon. What am I missing?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

I keep hearing how labor force participation rate is declining due to Boomers retiring, but that doesn't make sense as there are more Millennials than Boomers and they are nearly all of working age at this point or will be soon. What am I missing?

You're missing that as Boomers are retiring, their employers aren't replacing them at the same rate they're losing them. It is fairly common now, especially in the administrative fields to roll the duties of two retiring employees into a single position, then hire a new employee to fill it at 75% of the salary of one of those retirees.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Boomers actually aren't retiring as quickly as they should be. One of the things that the financial crisis did was decimate a lot of retirement funds. They're working until they're older because they can't afford to leave. More people in the 50+ age bracket are also being shoved into disability because nobody will hire them but disability payments are positively dismal. There are a lot of factors at play actually. Individually they wouldn't be huge deals but taken together and the young are being hosed very, very hard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radbot posted:

Eh, I imagine school has something to do with it. It probably isn't some magic bullet theory regarding millennials all being successful youtube superstars and podcasters, but you've got boomers retiring, post-boomers possibly retiring early, and millennials in school without a part/full time job.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Radbot posted:

I've worked with God knows how many Boomers and none of them have any plans to retire besides working a lousy part time job while collecting a pittance in social security.

Our lovely safety net combined with businesses abandoning pension plans combined with corporate cost cutting virtually guarantee that there will be a dearth of open positions for Millenials.

EDIT: It's going to be an absolute crisis in demand. I don't know why businesses don't want it addressed. Furthermore you have people like Jeb! issuing statements that would only make the problem worse.

Great_Gerbil fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 9, 2015

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Mittens was right

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...d57eb_blog.html

they are both wrong

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

quote:

Priebus's decision to reach out to Trump came after days of talks with Republican donors and officials about how best to manage Trump's outsize presence on the airwaves. Many financiers who are influential at the RNC have been fuming about Trump's ascent and told Priebus that he must ensure that the RNC's efforts over the past year to win more of the Hispanic vote is not harmed.

Reluctant to engage publicly and having developed a friendship with Trump in recent years, Priebus decided to call the candidate and quietly ask him to soften his pitch, said GOP donors familiar with Priebus's thinking. Trump had left a voice-mail message for Priebus over the weekend asking if they could catch up, making the call's context less confrontational, the donors said.

The call lasted about 45 minutes, the donors said, and Priebus was cordial, updating Trump on the party and the primary calendar while also urging him to "tone it down" — a phrase used repeatedly by those with knowledge of the exchange. Priebus told Trump that making inroads with Hispanics is one of his central missions as chairman. He told Trump that tone matters greatly and that Trump's comments are more offensive than he might imagine with that bloc.

I don't want it to end :(

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

RedQueen posted:

I don't want it to end :(

No time soon

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/09/donald-trump-says-r-n-c-chairman-called-to-congratulate-him/

'Mr. Priebus, he said, "knows better than to lecture me." He added, "We're not dealing with a five-star Army general."

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 9, 2015

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

I mean, they're right in that real unemployment (the U-6 index) is higher than the typically reported unemployment (U-3), but they're wrong if they're saying that this shows that the recovery isn't happening, cause that would imply that it's at all valid to compare the U-6 of today to the U-3 of yesterday. Looks like the U-6 capped out in the financial crisis at around 17% in March of 2010, but it's been going down just like the U-3 metric, and was as low in May as it was in August 2008 at 10.8%. The low point in the last ten years was 7.9% near the end of 2006.

source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102404260

Thinking about the U-6. Would keeping an eye on it be a good way to tell if the fear of Obamacare pushing corporations to convert full time employees to part timer's en masse had happened? I'd think that, if that concern was legitimate, there would have been some kind of spike in the U-6 last year when a lot of that stuff went into effect. From the data in this article, it looks like it's tied pretty close to the U-3.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

*sips tea*

It is so beautiful. He just substitutes his own reality at max volume and leaves everyone else distressed about it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Why would Priebus leak his call with Trump to Costas, or whoever? Was he trying to setup a situation where he could justify excluding him from the debates?

You don't do that with Trump, as soon as poo poo hits the media he's in automatic damage control mode and will just dig in harder. Dude is incapable of shame.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Boomers actually aren't retiring as quickly as they should be. One of the things that the financial crisis did was decimate a lot of retirement funds. They're working until they're older because they can't afford to leave. More people in the 50+ age bracket are also being shoved into disability because nobody will hire them but disability payments are positively dismal. There are a lot of factors at play actually. Individually they wouldn't be huge deals but taken together and the young are being hosed very, very hard.

Great_Gerbil posted:

I've worked with God knows how many Boomers and none of them have any plans to retire besides working a lousy part time job while collecting a pittance in social security.

Our lovely safety net combined with businesses abandoning pension plans combined with corporate cost cutting virtually guarantee that there will be a dearth of open positions for Millenials.

EDIT: It's going to be an absolute crisis in demand. I don't know why businesses don't want it addressed. Furthermore you have people like Jeb! issuing statements that would only make the problem worse.

This is exactly my experience as well. So how the gently caress can anyone say "Boomers aren't retiring" and "Millennials are the largest cohort in America" right after saying "LFPR is declining due to Boomers retiring", which is somehow common knowledge?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sir Tonk posted:

Why would Priebus leak his call with Trump to Costas, or whoever? Was he trying to setup a situation where he could justify excluding him from the debates?

You don't do that with Trump, as soon as poo poo hits the media he's in automatic damage control mode and will just dig in harder. Dude is incapable of shame.

Trump is pissing off some important donors and backers. The message was to them, "don't back off, we have this situation well in hand". Make the call, leak it to the press, they learn of it, they don't abandon you.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
It describes the GOP perfectly that they were fine with the massive public backlash to Trump's comments but it's only when the sugar daddies start whining that they decide to try to nip it in the bud. Knowing Trump, though, he will continue to double down causing more drama and increasing his recognition as a candidate going into the debates.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Yeah, Trump is a nightmare for the GOP, but he's just a distraction. It's silly season and none of this really matters. Remember when Michelle Bachmann was thought to be viable?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

It is so beautiful. He just substitutes his own reality at max volume and leaves everyone else distressed about it.

Trump is a magical gift to everybody following the campaign.

How are all of these people polled? Do they still just do land line phone calls?
you have to imagine that the people who are pro-Trump have no real information, just name recognition as a "straight talking businessman"

It is way too early for other republicans to start launching attacks about Trump's "record" but once that happens, he won't last. Meanwhile, the strong Trump gets in the meantime, the bigger mess he is going to make in the party. A beautiful, awful mess.

I mean, lets be realistic. Things are already a mess.
With the HUGE number of people running for the Republican nomination suggests that the Party has really lost its mind and its focus. They have thrown SOOOO many people into the ring because they honestly have no clue what the people are looking for. It shows a weakness of their position. Its not that they have "so many quality people" but "no clue what a quality candidate means."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, Trump is a nightmare for the GOP, but he's just a distraction. It's silly season and none of this really matters. Remember when Michelle Bachmann was thought to be viable?

Nobody thought she was viable. Maybe she had a shot at placing well in Iowa (and she did force TPaw out of the race), but she was never ever ever a serious candidate.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

McDowell posted:

He's not wrong.

He's not wrong per se, but the usual (Republican) implication of using U6 instead of U3 is that this is some sort of new phenomenon and the government is trying to hide something and that unemployment is at some sort of historic highs. They're trying to contrast today's 10.5% U6 with the good old days of 5% U3 when U6 was in the same 10% range back then.

The definition of reported unemployment (U3) hasn't changed, and it is perfectly valid to say that this figure has dropped from 10% at the height of the recession to 5.3% today. Just as it's perfectly valid to say that U6 has dropped from about 17% at the height of the depression to 10.5% today. The unemployment rate has improved significantly any way you look at it, and U6 is not at particularly high historical levels.

Neither number is more correct than the other, they measure different things. The most important thing is to be consistent about which one you're referencing if you want to have an honest discussion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

"The police were actually just stopping by to compliment me on my taste in music, and not to ask me to quiet it down because of complaints from the neighbors. Sorry that party was such a smashing success, haters."

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

Trump is a magical gift to everybody following the campaign.

How are all of these people polled? Do they still just do land line phone calls?
you have to imagine that the people who are pro-Trump have no real information, just name recognition as a "straight talking businessman"

It is way too early for other republicans to start launching attacks about Trump's "record" but once that happens, he won't last. Meanwhile, the strong Trump gets in the meantime, the bigger mess he is going to make in the party. A beautiful, awful mess.

I mean, lets be realistic. Things are already a mess.
With the HUGE number of people running for the Republican nomination suggests that the Party has really lost its mind and its focus. They have thrown SOOOO many people into the ring because they honestly have no clue what the people are looking for. It shows a weakness of their position. Its not that they have "so many quality people" but "no clue what a quality candidate means."

and the energy they put into taking down trump, is energy they can't use to build momentum with voters. Dem candidates are smart to not even really comment on it, leaving it to republicans to clean up the mess.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

richardfun posted:

It's 'MS Media', not 'Ms'

Well I still think its bad to hit reporters with multiple sclerosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Nobody thought she was viable. Maybe she had a shot at placing well in Iowa (and she did force TPaw out of the race), but she was never ever ever a serious candidate.

Neither is Trump.

• Locked thread