Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't mention the Passport, which is terrible. Please click the link I put in my post instead of being a poo poo disturber, god bless.

The Venice does look pretty great (physical keyboard and that beautiful crinkle finish), but RIM's track record does indicate that they will fall completely down when it comes to some major aspect. I'm betting they cripple the OS somehow, or the battery only lasts two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Legit excited about the Venice

Physical keyboard and Google Play Services :swoon:

What a nice USB Type-C port!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It may be a good phone, it's possible.

Here's what I have knocking around in my head though.

1) BB has zero history when it comes to updating phones. We don't know how aggressive they are going to be with updating their only special snowflake Android phone and they have next to ZERO pull with the carriers anymore so I wouldn't expect any carrier branded device to get priority for quick updates.

2) BB has a reputation back in the day for building solid hardware. That was nearly a decade ago. The target has moved and they haven't had experience building a phone for "normal" people that actually sells, well, any units. So, it remains to be seen if they are capable of jumping right in and giving every day customers what they want in a modern smartphone at a price they want to pay without cutting corners.

3) It may all be for naught because the Blackberry brand is toxic now. It matters gently caress all anymore what the OS is running on it. BB is a joke and people aren't going to want to buy a punchline for a phone even if it is the best thing in the world.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Blackberry's "solid hardware" reputation was destroyed with the Storm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's still a subset of people who really, really want a physical keyboard, to the point that some guy in another thread wants to import a Droid 4 to Europe specifically for that. I bet it'll get some buyers. Probably not enough to matter, but more than, I dunno, the Fire phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

1) BB has zero history when it comes to updating phones. We don't know how aggressive they are going to be with updating their only special snowflake Android phone and they have next to ZERO pull with the carriers anymore so I wouldn't expect any carrier branded device to get priority for quick updates.

2) BB has a reputation back in the day for building solid hardware. That was nearly a decade ago. The target has moved and they haven't had experience building a phone for "normal" people that actually sells, well, any units. So, it remains to be seen if they are capable of jumping right in and giving every day customers what they want in a modern smartphone at a price they want to pay without cutting corners.

3) It may all be for naught because the Blackberry brand is toxic now. It matters gently caress all anymore what the OS is running on it. BB is a joke and people aren't going to want to buy a punchline for a phone even if it is the best thing in the world.

1) BB10 phones update quite regularly. They just released the 10.3 update (plus smaller patches and bugfixes after that) which was a huge revamp of BB10.
1a) They still have decent pull with carriers in Canada. And BB10 phones are not carrier branded here.
3) They still have quite a bit of clout in the Canadian enterprise space, as well as a number of overseas markets. Like most tech things on SA, you're taking a pretty ignorant and extremely American-centric viewpoint.
*) BES12 is fantastic, especially with the direction they're moving with Android, Knox, and their partnering with Samsung and Google.

I cannot stand my Blackberry and literally every BB I've gone through from work (I've used every single BB10 phone at some point) makes me want to throw it into a trash compactor and jump off a cliff afterwards, but bullshit should be called out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

4) BB does have a solid and well-deserved reputation for writing some of the worst software known to man. I'm sure every bit of the middleware and Android additions will be of equal quality

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) BB10 phones update quite regularly. They just released the 10.3 update (plus smaller patches and bugfixes after that) which was a huge revamp of BB10.

That's with their own OS. This is completely different.

quote:

1a) They still have decent pull with carriers in Canada. And BB10 phones are not carrier branded here.

Don't really give a gently caress about Canada. They have zero presence in the US anymore and that's the market they have to worry about (unless they are targeting China.)

quote:

3) They still have quite a bit of clout in the Canadian enterprise space, as well as a number of overseas markets. Like most tech things on SA, you're taking a pretty ignorant and extremely American-centric viewpoint.
*) BES12 is fantastic, especially with the direction they're moving with Android, Knox, and their partnering with Samsung and Google.

See above. I would argue you are taking an unwarranted arrogant Canadian-centric viewpoint. The only place where BB exists in anything approaching a measurable marketshare is Canada due to nationalistic reasons. They have lost virtually all enterprise space in the US and I would sooner do a self-performed lobotomy with a Blackberry Storm than touch BES ever again in several lifetimes. It wants to make me wretch just thinking about it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Note 5 rumors. Glass back, no removable battery, no SD card.

Visit the Android Central post comments for an absolute poo poo storm cry fest about removable batteries and SD cards. :newlol:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Windows Phone is also reportedly very well received and adopted in Asia and Europe.

Just sayin'.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

How many BB7 phones were updated to BB10, BB6 phones updated to BB7, BB5 updated to BB6? Any?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Don't really give a gently caress about Canada. They have zero presence in the US anymore and that's the market they have to worry about (unless they are targeting China.)

Aren't you rude. I don't give a gently caress about the USA. God bless~

bull3964 posted:

See above. I would argue you are taking an unwarranted arrogant Canadian-centric viewpoint. The only place where BB exists in anything approaching a measurable marketshare is Canada due to nationalistic reasons. They have lost virtually all enterprise space in the US and I would sooner do a self-performed lobotomy with a Blackberry Storm than touch BES ever again in several lifetimes. It wants to make me wretch just thinking about it.

Actually, in a highly secure enterprise like mine, Blackberry is still the only option for us. The only part NATIONALISM plays is that we don't want our data stored anywhere in the US because you're a terrible country.

No other platform currently offers the level of security and control we require. The BES12/Knox integration may change that, I'm hoping. Mainly because the BB10 OS is terrible and I don't want to use it ever again. Knox has some cool poo poo.

RVProfootballer posted:

How many BB7 phones were updated to BB10, BB6 phones updated to BB7, BB5 updated to BB6? Any?

None, they are completely different platforms and I'm guessing you know that and are poking for some reason? I don't know how many times I have to say how terrible I think Blackberry is and has been, it's important that ignorance is countered though, and it's hard to logically argue that this new Venice phone isn't a massive shift for that company.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 8, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Windows Phone is also reportedly very well received and adopted in Asia and Europe.

Just sayin'.

Too bad this is apparently going away.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/8/8913365/microsoft-lumia-windows-phones-strategy-2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

That's the point I'm making.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

None, they are completely different platforms and I'm guessing you know that and are poking for some reason? I don't know how many times I have to say how terrible I think Blackberry is and has been, it's important that ignorant is countered though, and it's hard to logically argue that this new Venice phone isn't a massive shift for that company.

I knew it was few, didn't know if it was 0 or only a handful, though. I was just adding to what bull3964 said about Blackberry and history of updates. Seems pretty different making a point update or two in a device's lifetime vs. multiple major updates a la Android and iOS, that's all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Note 5 rumors. Glass back, no removable battery, no SD card.

Visit the Android Central post comments for an absolute poo poo storm cry fest about removable batteries and SD cards. :newlol:

Thanks, I think I will!

TraderStav posted:

Just sayin'.

Um, no. Microsoft just took impairment on it and they did it all for a sub-2% marketshare. They burned $7.2 billion in 438 days trying to make it work. They spent over $16 million every day and accomplished nothing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I knew it was few, didn't know if it was 0 or only a handful, though. I was just adding to what bull3964 said about Blackberry and history of updates. Seems pretty different making a point update or two in a device's lifetime vs. multiple major updates a la Android and iOS, that's all.

Absolutely I agree. For what it's worth, their record updating BB10 has been better than any device line in their entire history. It's even been better than Samsung. That's why I'm not sure that's a current concern of mine with whatever Android thing they're doing with Venice is. A lot of the issues people are basing their current opinion of Blackberry on took place a loooong time ago when it was a different company, poo poo has changed a lot in recent years especially.

To reiterate though, this Blackberry Leap is so bad it makes me want to shatter it into a million pieces and claw out my own eyes with the debris.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Aren't you rude. I don't give a gently caress about the USA. God bless~

....about Blackberry. Context matters. Blackberry isn't going to become a player in the mobile space if they can't gain a foothold in the US market. So, I don't give a gently caress about what Blackberry is doing in Canada, it has no relevance to them clawing back any marketshare.

quote:

Actually, in a highly secure enterprise like mine, Blackberry is still the only option for us. The only part NATIONALISM plays is that we don't want our data stored anywhere in the US because you're a terrible country.

No other platform currently offers the level of security and control we require. The BES12/Knox integration may change that, I'm hoping. Mainly because the BB10 OS is terrible and I don't want to use it ever again. Knox has some cool poo poo.

There are a myriad of mobile security options out there. I find it hard to believe that your requirements are SO specific that only blackberry fits the bill.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There are a myriad of mobile security options out there. I find it hard to believe that your requirements are SO specific that only blackberry fits the bill.

I'm not going to outline specifics here and don't remotely expect you to trust me on the internet, but we did look at the other platforms and options and only BES/BB10 fit our requirements. That's why I have hope for this Venice phone and the BES/Knox integration because I would do anything to use an Android variant instead of this BB10 poo poo.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
:canada: indeed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Blackberry just bought AndroidSecured.com

(they also bought blackberry.sucks)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 20, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blackberry ain't poo poo in Canada either outside of companies forcing their employees to use them sometimes. Even my cheap company upgraded from Blackberry Bolds to Samsung Rugbys.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Blackberry ain't poo poo in Canada either outside of companies forcing their employees to use them sometimes. Even my cheap company upgraded from Blackberry Bolds to Samsung Rugbys.

I work in a different sector than you, they're huge in mine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well yes to be fair my company couldn't give less of a poo poo if sensitive information is stolen. Hence pre-KitKat Samsungs.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh yeah, hah. I didn't mean to imply it was any kind of deal breaker, sorry if you read it as such. It's an easy change that makes typing easier on a software keyboard, that's all.

No problem, though apparently someone else disagrees. That's ok! Soon everyone will achieve lower/upper case keyboard nirvana.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

There's still a subset of people who really, really want a physical keyboard, to the point that some guy in another thread wants to import a Droid 4 to Europe specifically for that. I bet it'll get some buyers. Probably not enough to matter, but more than, I dunno, the Fire phone.

I agree with this. There's still people who crave a physical keyboard. Have a friend who has been loyal to Blackberry even to this day because of that. I still think that if they had made the move to Android years ago, they'd be in a much better position. People seemed to like the design of their phones, it just didn't have the apps and other features that the other companies did at the time.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I am definitely one of those that still prefer a physical keyboard. I am not a grandpa, and have been using non-physical keyboards on my phones for years, but even with Swype I never got as fast as I did with physical buttons. Hell, I was faster using T9 on my old black and white Nokia than I am with all-touch.

However, I highly doubt there's any demand for physical keyboards, and I say that because....wouldn't one exist if there was any demand? Motorola was the only one still making them and that was in 2011. I would think that demand would have been filled a long time ago.

But if there's ever a smartphone with a physical keyboard on Verizon with at least 2 GB of RAM, count me in.

Not that the new Blackberry is coming to Verizon (looks like GSM only), but 5+" is kind of overkill in my opinion. Not sure how you're going to type with one hand with that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Melmac posted:

I am definitely one of those that still prefer a physical keyboard. I am not a grandpa, and have been using non-physical keyboards on my phones for years, but even with Swype I never got as fast as I did with physical buttons. Hell, I was faster using T9 on my old black and white Nokia than I am with all-touch.

:rolleyes:

You are definitely a grandpa.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Not sure where to put this but has anyone else had issues with their phones receiving an OK Google command while asleep and charging? I swear at work once or twice a week my phone will beep and go "WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU!" as if I gave the OK Google command. I changed the setting where I can't do the command unless I'm in Google Now and that seems to have fixed it for now but I have no idea why that was happening. Galaxy S5 on 5.0 if it matters.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

explosivo posted:

Not sure where to put this but has anyone else had issues with their phones receiving an OK Google command while asleep and charging? I swear at work once or twice a week my phone will beep and go "WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU!" as if I gave the OK Google command. I changed the setting where I can't do the command unless I'm in Google Now and that seems to have fixed it for now but I have no idea why that was happening. Galaxy S5 on 5.0 if it matters.

I had this happen once or twice on my Moto G when I had it. I just assumed the phone thought it heard someone say Google Now through various sounds in the room or whatever.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i had a custom phrase on my turbo that would trigger off of the hunger games whistle for some reason, sometimes it just triggers off of weird stuff

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

But the thing is it doesn't work at all while the screen is off. I've yelled OK GOOGLE at my phone while it's asleep and get nothing. I found online people saying that happening while charging and from what I can remember there's a good chance every time it happened to me I was charging it as well. It's just weird and slightly annoying, really.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Yeah I had to turn off that "OK Google" trigger from any screen/screen off on my Nexus 6 as it was getting triggered during meetings/random conversations.

Pretty annoying - I wish I could set a custom phrase.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Melmac posted:

However, I highly doubt there's any demand for physical keyboards, and I say that because....wouldn't one exist if there was any demand? Motorola was the only one still making them and that was in 2011. I would think that demand would have been filled a long time ago.

There's been a vicious cycle:

Consumers: We want a phone with flagship specs, the newest OS, and a physical keyboard would be great too, that would be ideal.
Carriers: The consumers want a phone with a physical keyboard. Manufacturers, what can you do?
Manufacturers: Here's what we can do. It will be thicker though.
Carriers: Oh, well, nobody wants a thick phone except low budget poors. Equip that physical keyboard phone with poo poo specs. And don't bother updating the OS on it ever.
Manufacturers: OK, whatever you want Carriers, you are the boss.
Consumers: I wanted a phone with flagship specs and the newest OS, I'm not buying that POS just to get a physical keyboard. Give me a touchscreen flagship phone please.
Carriers: Nobody bought the phone with physical keyboard and poo poo specs, obviously there is zero demand for physical keyboards. Manufacturers, no more of those.
Manufacturers: OK, whatever you want Carriers, you are the boss.

For example, read this interview with a Sprint executive idiot:

quote:

"So we had all that data, and we said 'Look, there's still the demand for QWERTY.' And then we went out and built the LG Mach and the Photon Q."

"It was a big party and nobody came." So much for surveys.

Doug Kaufman, manager of handset strategy for Sprint, you are a stupid loving moron. I bought a Photon Q because I was so desperate for a QWERTY. It had POS specs and was permanently stuck on Android 4.1. The keyboard was great, but it was a terrible phone.

Then it broke so I took the opportunity to switch to T-Mobile, I got an LG Optimus F3Q (GSM equivalent of the LG Mach). It had POS specs and was permanently stuck on Android 4.1. The keyboard was even better than on the Photon Q, but it was a terrible phone.

I finally broke down and got a Moto X. I no longer had any other choice as a consumer.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I still miss typing on my Palm Pre, I'm not ashamed to admit it. Still the best multitasking on a phone all this time later.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

explosivo posted:

But the thing is it doesn't work at all while the screen is off. I've yelled OK GOOGLE at my phone while it's asleep and get nothing. I found online people saying that happening while charging and from what I can remember there's a good chance every time it happened to me I was charging it as well. It's just weird and slightly annoying, really.

Aren't the settings "Only in google app, When screen is on, and when screen is off and charging"? AFAIK unless you have a special device like the Moto X, you can't get Google Now to respond to you if your screen is off and it's NOT charging.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

Yeah I had to turn off that "OK Google" trigger from any screen/screen off on my Nexus 6 as it was getting triggered during meetings/random conversations.

Pretty annoying - I wish I could set a custom phrase.

Moto X lets you do this. Saying "OK Samaritan" gets you a lot of strange looks from Person of Interest fans.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Aren't the settings "Only in google app, When screen is on, and when screen is off and charging"? AFAIK unless you have a special device like the Moto X, you can't get Google Now to respond to you if your screen is off and it's NOT charging.

A Moto X or a Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

Rastor posted:

Doug Kaufman, manager of handset strategy for Sprint, you are a stupid loving moron. I bought a Photon Q because I was so desperate for a QWERTY. It had POS specs and was permanently stuck on Android 4.1. The keyboard was great, but it was a terrible phone.

Then it broke so I took the opportunity to switch to T-Mobile, I got an LG Optimus F3Q (GSM equivalent of the LG Mach). It had POS specs and was permanently stuck on Android 4.1. The keyboard was even better than on the Photon Q, but it was a terrible phone.

I finally broke down and got a Moto X. I no longer had any other choice as a consumer.

They are pieces of poo poo because no one is going to bother putting premium components into a form factor the market doesn't want. They don't get upgraded because no one is going to bother writing the software needed to run a device the market doesn't want.

You can't get a good phone with a physical keyboard for the same reason you can't get a good phone with a rotary dial, or a good phone with a pull-out antenna. There is no reason to have these components in a modern phone beyond a few luddites who can't comprehend that the dial/antenna/keyboard are contained in the phone.