Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bruceski posted:

I need to go there on the way to Istory anyway, but I'll make sure to grab it.
When you get it make sure not to do anything stupid with it.

Like sell it.

Like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KataraniSword posted:

Diamond Bell is magical and does crap damage anyway, Chocobo is... only magical on the mobile version. :negative: This is one circumstance where your choice of version hampers you a little.

You're gonna have to shank it with your noodle arms.
:sigh: Back out to buy two more Mage Masher...grind some levels...it's embarrassing having to do that with a Summoner on the team, but there is just nothing I can do at the moment. The fucker is heavy, so Remora also won't do anything, right?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

KataraniSword posted:

Diamond Bell is magical and does crap damage anyway, Chocobo is... only magical on the mobile version. :negative: This is one circumstance where your choice of version hampers you a little.

You're gonna have to shank it with your noodle arms.

Did they have to reverse engineer the game for the mobile version or something? More and more subtle mechanical differences keep cropping up.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

maou shoujo posted:

Did they have to reverse engineer the game for the mobile version or something? More and more subtle mechanical differences keep cropping up.

I would say that's less reverse engineering the game and more taking the games items and spells at their base description / appearance in other games for what they were probably supposed to do (Chocobo being a single target magical attack in FF4 for example). But even if they implemented everything in the same way as the GBA or FAMtI versions they were probably fixed as 'bugs' in playtesting.

I want to just go to the void and skip Fork Tower as a pre-req for getting into Istory, but I think I can triple crown if I have the Aegis shield and Lamp.

Fork Tower just looks like it's going to take aegis

Berserker / Ninja / Geomancer / Ranger

e: I can get the lamp without going to Istory but I can also get a bow in Istory that might do better damage to Omega than a Thunder Bow :ohdear: I guess I figured out a strat for Fork-Tower anyways so it's ok

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 9, 2015

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Doing a Chaos Run, I managed to end up with Summoner, Beastmaster, and Ranger. This team is pretty rad because I'm summoning ALL THE EVERYTHING and this is the first time I've actually ever used !Animals. Unfortunately, there isn't really a 4th job that summons other things, but I was looking forward to what the Earth job would be.

IT WAS SAMURAI

:unsmigghh:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

zolthorg posted:

I would say that's less reverse engineering the game and more taking the games items and spells at their base description / appearance in other games for what they were probably supposed to do (Chocobo being a single target magical attack in FF4 for example). But even if they implemented everything in the same way as the GBA or FAMtI versions they were probably fixed as 'bugs' in playtesting.

I want to just go to the void and skip Fork Tower as a pre-req for getting into Istory, but I think I can triple crown if I have the Aegis shield and Lamp.

Fork Tower just looks like it's going to take aegis

Berserker / Ninja / Geomancer / Ranger

e: I can get the lamp without going to Istory but I can also get a bow in Istory that might do better damage to Omega than a Thunder Bow :ohdear: I guess I figured out a strat for Fork-Tower anyways so it's ok

I think some of the mobile inconsistencies are just bugs. Like I mentioned earlier, I have no access to thunder spells even though I bought them and it won't let me purchase them again. Like the stores know I have it, but my magic list doesn't.

Doesn't matter that much since I'm almost all physical.

Knight/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Samurai

#swordorwhip wish I could rename to Iga.

Gettin Samurai solved my dilemma of fighting purlopos.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Doesn't level cap at 99 for the purpose of damage calculation, at least in the GBA version? I remember Hero Cocktails eventually no longer affecting my damage even though I wasn't level 255 yet.

I did some testing because I was curious. I used the Slug enemies near Phantom Village for this, as they are weak to fire. At level 34, Ninja Lenna does between 1440 and 1620 damage to them with a Flame Scroll, which is consistent with the damage formula from the Algorithm Guide. Giving her four Dragon Powers should increase her level to 114, and according to Libra it does. However, her damage was between 2400 and 2700, which is what you would expect at level 99. Using an additional Dragon Power does not increase the damage, and applying Samson's Might or Hero Cocktails instead of Dragon Power results in the same outcome. No matter how much I boosted Lenna's level, 2700 damage was the most she ever did.

It seems that, at least in the GBA version, damage calculations cap out at level 99. Only go higher than that if you want to play around with status effects, otherwise don't waste your time or mixing ingredients.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DemonTrigger posted:

Doing a Chaos Run, I managed to end up with Summoner, Beastmaster, and Ranger. This team is pretty rad because I'm summoning ALL THE EVERYTHING and this is the first time I've actually ever used !Animals. Unfortunately, there isn't really a 4th job that summons other things, but I was looking forward to what the Earth job would be.

IT WAS SAMURAI

:unsmigghh:

Samurai summons death.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

neongrey posted:

Samurai summons death.

Summon the almighty dollar.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Samurai/Geomancer/Dancer/Dancer

God punished me for not valuing Dancer enough in my last run.

But I bought Black Mage and Chemist to replace the two Dancers that I'd have coming up when I get the earth shards. I wanted to try something that.. wasn't Dancer.

Up yours, God.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy bard once I get a few songs and a harp.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy bard once I get a few songs and a harp to world 3.

Harps, aside from Apollo's, are worthless and you don't even need them to !Sing.

Although you'll probably want to stop by Istory to pick up Romeo's Ballad. That'll be your bread and butter until you get the good stat-buffing songs much later on.

Alluring Air from Lix is also worth picking up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

gently caress you.

And the final Job is Dancer - that's practically ideal! Physical damage, woo!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AND PLAY EVERY LAST PIANO UNTIL YOUR FINGERS BLEED.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Ramos posted:

Bartz quit
Faris got married
should've known we'd never get far.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Ramos posted:

Actually, since the pianos are indestructible and you don't get the reward until you play them all anyway, it doesn't hurt to wait until world 3.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Bartz quit
Faris got married
should've known we'd never get far.

:vince:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trying to capture that drat golem on the dragon valley is the hardest thing I have encountered so far. Sum/geo/geo/beast just can't deal enough damage to a single enemy. All my damage is area effects.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Both enemies in that encounter can be controlled. That should give you enough time to finish them off one by one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Both enemies in that encounter can be controlled. That should give you enough time to finish them off one by one.

That helped plus hi potion spam made it much easier

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trying to capture that drat golem on the dragon valley is the hardest thing I have encountered so far. Sum/geo/geo/beast just can't deal enough damage to a single enemy. All my damage is area effects.

I use Hi-Potions to get through that fight. 500 damage per potion is pretty good, gets through the dragons fairly quickly.

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

Second run...

Blue Mage / Knight / Time Mage / Ranger

:getin:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Possibly the only team combination where you could make a good case for either the Chicken Knife or the Brave Blade.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Possibly the only team combination where you could make a good case for either the Chicken Knife or the Brave Blade.

nah, rapidfire chicken knife wins

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In terms of sheer power that's true, but in that situation I'd probably still go for the Brave Blade, just for the novelty of the Goblin Punch + Brave Blade combination.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

In terms of sheer power that's true, but in that situation I'd probably still go for the Brave Blade, just for the novelty of the Goblin Punch + Brave Blade combination.

eh, by the time that comes online your blue mages have better poo poo to do than goblin punch against most stuff, it'd just end up being a waste

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wish this was all year round. :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish this was all year round. :sigh:

Well, I'll try to keep control over the ffvfiesta channel in the intervening time, and you can always come by and pester my bot for jobs for a run. :shobon:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sure, Goblin Punch lets you keep that +50 attack over the Excalipoor and still run away, but keep in mind that you need to sacrifice your ability slot to have Brave Blade and !Blue on the same character.

Plus, if you're going to use the Brave Blade, go whole-hog and two-hand it. That massive 150 attack loves any increase to the multiplier it can get. :getin:

EDIT: But yeah, especially with a Ranger and a Time Mage for easy running, the Chicken Knife is the optimal choice.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Simply Simon posted:

gently caress you.

And the final Job is Dancer - that's practically ideal! Physical damage, woo!

seriously, how? That is a cruel cruel party for that fight.

If I'm rocking Blue/Time/Ninja in the floating ruins, do I have any way to get White Wind or 1000 Needles? I'm not sure if I have a way to confuse the monsters there, or if they would even use those spells on me while confused.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Poque posted:

If I'm rocking Blue/Time/Ninja in the floating ruins, do I have any way to get White Wind or 1000 Needles? I'm not sure if I have a way to confuse the monsters there, or if they would even use those spells on me while confused.

1000 Needles does require !Control to learn here. Not because Lamias won't use it while confused, but because they won't use it on you while confused. :v:

But no, looks like you'll be waiting for Meatfort to pick up White Wind.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Today on "Killing Snakes for Fun and Charity"

On weresnakes:

quote:

"Fai, if it's a snake when you kill it, it's a snake"
current snake murder count: 10

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

Only on mobile. SNES/GBA have Chocobo check against physical defense, and thank christ for that because it makes form 5 very doable.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Poque posted:

Everyone is Level 21 and has 3 Mage Masher and the Main Gauche (on the Geo) pre-equipped. I think for a better rhythm one of them (maybe the BM, dunno if they or Summoner have a little more Str, but I didn't want to min-max too hard, it was down to luck anyway) could have carried a Rod to boost the Thundara. Or all, but I am lazy and didn't want to butterfinger an accidental rod-break instead of a weapon change. They're all in the front row because AOE is the problem, not physicals (and we have three dodge items spread out anyway).

First part: Lightning spells and Sylph to stay topped off. Only on the last form pre-revive will Lightning heal the Avis, so I used that as cue (or Sylph suddenly dealing half damage). If you keep up the pressure (see rhythm above, it was not really good in the winning run actually), Avis should change forms quickly enough to not bother you overly much with AOE poo poo, especially Frost should be avoided at all cost or Sylph will only offset the HP drain.
As soon as the final form of Phase 1 rolls around, one !Gaia will usually pop a Tornado (in this version, at least!), and a final damage source will finish the job.

Post-revive, it's a constant dance to make sure Geo always can attack, heal Maelstroms with my four Hi-Potions then Elixirs, bop confused characters asap (DON'T want to eat a Thundara on another character), attack attack attack whenever possible, and pray that Avis doesn't spam AOE poo poo all the time. HP is enough to survive two, at least, Geo maybe three if one is a Breath Wing.
Fun fact: bopping with a Rod will not snap people out of Confusion. Another confusion-attack will not snap people out of confusion.
At the end, I was lucky to get the confused Lenna paralysed (no need to bop her), and just went all-out. Damage is 200+ with the Main Gauche, 100+ with the Mage Mashers, so it doesn't take that long.

I did grind for about two levels, mostly way out/Mage Masher buying/back in, but I tried Mini Dragons...once, then decided that levels ultimately wouldn't do too much unless I really went all-out, and I didn't feel like that in the slightest. I think confidence in the front row was key, you will lose a prolonged battle no matter what.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Fun fact: bopping with a Rod will not snap people out of Confusion. Another confusion-attack will not snap people out of confusion..

:stare:

The more I hear about the mobile version the more I'm glad I don't yet have enough surveybux for it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Edward_Tohr posted:

Sure, Goblin Punch lets you keep that +50 attack over the Excalipoor and still run away, but keep in mind that you need to sacrifice your ability slot to have Brave Blade and !Blue on the same character.

Plus, if you're going to use the Brave Blade, go whole-hog and two-hand it. That massive 150 attack loves any increase to the multiplier it can get. :getin:

It'd be an interesting defensive setup. A Knight in the back row with Mighty Guard, White Wind and Vampire could keep your team going almost indefinitely, while still doing respectable damage with the Brave Blade. Admittedly, Hylianbunny's team doesn't really need any defense.

Also, now that I think about it, I'd probably go with the Chicken Knife just to make the Omega fight a bit more convenient.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare:

The more I hear about the mobile version the more I'm glad I don't yet have enough surveybux for it.
I didn't know that this is mobile-specific, actually; I am not really into the deeper parts of FFV's mechanics, just the "lol Rapidfire Spellblade" ones. For me, this made sense (but not enough to not try) in the way that Rods are probably purely magical damage, and Confusion ending by being bopped probably was coded to trigger on physical damage (so you can pelt confused/controlled/sleeping enemies with spells at leisure), not on a Fight command (which is also good, that way a Tail or Claw or whatever by enemies could still snap your dudes out of it, and you can't Sleep someone and then Rapidfire their rear end forever).
As for Avis' Confusion-proccing attack (dunno about the name), I figured it just dealt damage first, then immediately applied Confusion again, not the other way round? Makes perfect sense again, because otherwise you couldn't Sleep- or Silence- lock enemies with Spellblade, after all.

Mobile is pretty valid to play on, with only a few annoyances. FFV is incredibly hard to gently caress up, even by Matrix. Though I do think the normal walk speed is kinda slow, Sprint makes it tolerable, but ofc I don't have Sprint now, and you can't really-fast-run ever. You can Sprint with a Chocobo and a Submarine though, that's logical. (it's a touch-button toggle that only appears if you have Sprint equipped/a Thief in the party - button never vanishes no matter what vehicle you use)

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Phew, reverse-Fartz run finally complete. Too bad I missed the 50 Fartz goal by such a huge margin, but that's life.

This team was pretty rough to get through the game with, but nabbing the triple crown was actually pretty easy. I had more trouble with NED than the other two, and that's saying something.

I already registered for a third Chaos run, and got Summoner. It's gonna be a good day.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

I didn't know that this is mobile-specific, actually; I am not really into the deeper parts of FFV's mechanics, just the "lol Rapidfire Spellblade" ones. For me, this made sense (but not enough to not try) in the way that Rods are probably purely magical damage, and Confusion ending by being bopped probably was coded to trigger on physical damage (so you can pelt confused/controlled/sleeping enemies with spells at leisure), not on a Fight command (which is also good, that way a Tail or Claw or whatever by enemies could still snap your dudes out of it, and you can't Sleep someone and then Rapidfire their rear end forever).

Nope, because bopping someone with the Healing Staff (which does no damage at all - it casts a spell!) does break confusion just fine. In fact, this is the de-facto method of fighting the Sol Cannon's rocket launcher side-guns for staff-using jobs in SSCCs. The fact that rods wouldn't (which are still a melee weapon) seems to insinuate that the Healing Staff wouldn't either, which uh... yikes.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

I'm still sad that ending this fight with a positive HP total doesn't change the outcome. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Run 2 complete, with another Triple Crown.

This run was much simpler than the first, Knight + Summoner makes the 1st 3 Crystals a cakewalk to get, certainly a lot easier than White Mage + Berserker, aside from the lack of healing. Geomancer is worse than Ninja, but it made Exdeath's Castle and the Trench a lot easier to manage. Gaia has surprising power, especially Wind Slash which shows up a lot. Chemist being great goes without saying, though Samurai is a lot easier to use unless you know the game really well, I had to keep using the FFWiki to look up the Mixes I wanted to use.

Also, this is what happens when you run ~150 times vs. never, ever running from a fight.

• Locked thread