Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Even if they AoS 40k, they'd still keep space marines, so this makes sense :tinfoil:

Nah, to increase brand visibility and drum up sales they'll squat all of the space marines and introduce spacespace marinemarines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
With the legion of books published for 40K, new codecs, massive fan base devoted to multiple best selling series, continuing expansion of 30k, and the desire to continue making lots of money the chances of them doing to 40k what they did to fantasy is less than zero.

Anyway, bought the painting guide to Ultramarines, decided I hate all my models and need to paint new ones T_T

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Lord Twisted posted:

Dakka dakka motherfuckers. Still not finished because of the base and some final highlighting but its probably 80% done.

No dakka can save you from shame of unbored barrels and

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Lord Twisted posted:

Dakka dakka motherfuckers. Still not finished because of the base and some final highlighting but its probably 80% done.

I think a thin black outline on the top of the fire will really make it pop, I think that's what's missing from your test on the base and what's on the model. Test it out in a photo editor first, though.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'll be down that weekend anyway--that's when we usually do our Fantasy football draft that weekend, so I could ostensibly come down and we (Me + ANAmal + Shadow Daishi) could meet up and wreck y'alls poo poo

Let's do it! If you guys don't want to like actually join in any of the tournaments, you can always purchase a convention pass and and then sign up for the 8-man highlanders if we get enough goons. At least, I think you can. I can clarify with Mike Brandt.

OR

We can do something before that at Dropzone or wherever else. Glen Burnie's not too far!

So, myself, WOM, MSP, Boon, you, ANAmal, Shadow Daishi + 1 more makes a full slate for the first ever SRM Cup!

Everyone come to the NOVA Open.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Uroboros posted:

With the legion of books published for 40K, new codecs, massive fan base devoted to multiple best selling series, continuing expansion of 30k, and the desire to continue making lots of money the chances of them doing to 40k what they did to fantasy is less than zero.

Anyway, bought the painting guide to Ultramarines, decided I hate all my models and need to paint new ones T_T

Your painting now is leagues ahead of where it was a couple months ago. I really admire your progress.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

Concerned? Sigmar is not fantasy. It would be like them putting 40k figures on square bases and having you rank them up. If you were a fantasy fan that would be fine because it just made 40k a gateway to fantasy. As it is, Sigmar is a gateway to 40k.

I will expect that you will like it as a casual gateway game to 40k because you have no skin in the game. It is fun! All it took was poor communication, a whole new scale for the minis, and nuking the old setting. You mentioned be careful what you wish for, but at the same time GW screwed the pooch by not building momentum in the end times. The elf story would have been great if it was built on over time. But no, toss it and release unbalanced warscrolls for all the old armies we are probably going to drop anyways.

"Pretty upset" is about as worked up as I get over a game/hobby these days.

If what you describe happened to 40k I would probably not like it - but I'd give it a shot. I would then either grin and bare it, or find another game/hobby. It might depend on what my group did as a whole.

We have several fantasy players in our group and so far two really like AoS while the third hates it (and refers to it as Age of Shitmar) though he hasn't played it yet. The two who enjoy it are much more casual gamers while the third is highly competitive. Not sure if that matters but I think it might.

As you say, I have no "skin in the game" but I'm about to as I'm probably going to pick up some undead to play around with. From GWs perspective that's what they are attempting here. To get new players in and move some models that weren't selling anyway. Will it work? I don't know. I'm skeptical at this point. But four of my group are buying the starter set and talking about what factions interest them (this doesn't include the two fantasy players who enjoy AoS). So anecdotally, in our group it's starting off well... We shall see if it maintains any momentum.

So yeah "pretty upset" would cover it for me. Others experiences may vary. I am genuinely sympathetic to those who are not happy about the change.

Will this happen to 40k? I don't know that either. My gut says no... But I've been wrong so many times trying to predict GW behavior (even with inside resources) that I don't trust my instincts with that anymore.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Ultramega posted:

The mud is typhus corrosion which, along with the rest of the effects based paints, nihilakh oxide, whatever the blood one is called, are all awesome and should be part of your paint arsenal.

I have no idea how smoke launchers work IRL, I just put them on in the position I thought looked the coolest.

The most important rule - the rule of cool.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Hand posted:

"Pretty upset" is about as worked up as I get over a game/hobby these days.

Dude, you spend an insane amount on this hobby. It's good that you have perspective on this stuff, but you deserve a better company than GW considering how much you've put into their products and the hobby in general. You could have thousands of dollars worth of miniatures invalidated if GW keeps going down this path.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ghost Hand posted:

If what you describe happened to 40k I would probably not like it - but I'd give it a shot. I would then either grin and bare it, or find another game/hobby. It might depend on what my group did as a whole.

Unfortunately I think a lot of guys are just going to give AoS their love and devotion even though in the back of their mind they know it isn't good =/ There are so many good games out there right now, GW isn't the only show in town anymore (for those people, not pointing this at you directly).

Awesome job on the Tempest podcast, btw. Really enjoyed it

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

muggins posted:

Unfortunately I think a lot of guys are just going to give AoS their love and devotion even though in the back of their mind they know it isn't good =/ There are so many good games out there right now, GW isn't the only show in town anymore (for those people, not pointing this at you directly).

There's really only so much this can last. Even super GW fans will eventually abandon a game if it totally has no substance since as much as non-WAAC players like to pretend that all they care about is fun, they want to win games and put together lists they think will either win or be cool within context of an army book's structure. I'm already seeing some of the GW superfans I know shifting to other systems with the destruction of 8th edition.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Your painting now is leagues ahead of where it was a couple months ago. I really admire your progress.

Thanks man, the biggest difference is the use Maccrage Blue instead of Altdorf Blue as the primary blue, and I'm just sitting here looking at going "oh this looks better" turn and look at my guys and go "God damnit".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I figure that with how big 40k's player base is, even if it gets Age of Sigmar'd there will still be people who want to play the game they remember. It probably won't be impossible to find people who want to play whatever edition of 40k precedes a hypothetical AoS situation. I know my friends in my gaming group would still want to play the comparatively older game.

Direwolf posted:

Helllloooooo 40k thread it's been too long.

Last time I checked in I was living in DC, occasionally playing The Sex Cannon's beautiful, beautiful IG and playing somewhat infrequently. Now I am back in central NJ, new job, new apt and ready to get back into hams. There's a local store down the street from my job that has some player base, East Coast Gamers in Toms River, anyone know anything about it?

Also - I tried catching up on the thread but there were literally 11,000 posts to go through and I couldn't do it, I gave up when Hollismason started talking about hairy rear end cracks. Are there any updates for Iyanden Eldar, Khorne, or Dark Angels? I did see there was a new Khorne book, is it any good?

There's a Khorne Daemonkin book, which is just for Khorne Daemons and Marines palling around. I hear it's okay. Eldar got redone and got a sexy new Jetbike kit, but word is they're still overpowered. Wraithknights got moved to a Lord of War slot and gargantuan creatures so you can only take one in an average FOC. Dark Angels got a new codex fairly recently and word is that it's actually not bad.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Let's do it! If you guys don't want to like actually join in any of the tournaments, you can always purchase a convention pass and and then sign up for the 8-man highlanders if we get enough goons. At least, I think you can. I can clarify with Mike Brandt.

OR

We can do something before that at Dropzone or wherever else. Glen Burnie's not too far!

So, myself, WOM, MSP, Boon, you, ANAmal, Shadow Daishi + 1 more makes a full slate for the first ever SRM Cup!

I want to be part of this so bad but I need to get to NOVA from Boston, and while Zhent usually goes to NOVA, I haven't seen him around in like 9 months :(

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Rules Q&A:
1: If I cast Endurance on a unit is the FnP canceled out by double strength weapons? I thought they would but my opponent swore up and down in my favor saying the Eternal Warrior special rule prevents instant death and thus preserves FnP.
2. Is there a limit on the number of Independent Characters that can be part of a unit?

These questions came up because I wanted to play with stuff I never had a chance to use. I finished my third librarian and ran the conclave formation with Tiggy going Biomancy and the other two going divination and telepathy. Assuming there is no limit on Ind Chars. nestling the conclave in the heart of a nasty unit could work well. I also ran all four assassins for fun.

Vindicare rolled double ones turn 1, opponent double six'd my Land Raider with a Lascannon. I even took Chronus who ended up bailing out and joining the Honor Guard on foot. Honor Guard with conclave powers is an unstoppable rape machine and Tigurius with Biomancy can smash Land Raiders to bits. Culex us didn't have psykers to kill and was insta-gibbed by a snap-shooting Lascannon. Eversor ate some bikes and a predator that immobilized itself pivoting. Callidus killed some Vanguard Vets and interrogator-chaplain. Vindicare killed the super special Dark Angel speeder, and was then insta-killed by the DA vortex gun.
Kill points game with opponent tabled, terminator Knights were tore apart by honor guard.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

An Angry Bug posted:

You could have thousands of dollars worth of miniatures invalidated if GW keeps going down this path.

I do not think that will be the case. And even if it IS the case - I'm not going to worry about it NOW, before it HAS happened (capitals for emphasis). I'm still enjoying 40k as it is right now. I'm enjoying 30k as well. My boss always tells me "Worry without action is just wasted energy." It's a good point. If you are that worried about it - screw it. Jump ship and find something that you don't have to worry about so much I guess. This is supposed to be fun for its participants and if worry about the future is ruining that fun for anyone - they should just vote with their wallet and get out while they can!

I don't say that lightly - I obviously have spent over 5 years extolling the virtues of 40k and trying to help build the community. But ultimately I just want people to enjoy what they do. Whether that is a GW game or not.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 9, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

I do not think that will be the case.

I didn't think that before July either.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TKIY posted:

I didn't think that before July either.

So what are you going to do about it? I would also point out your miniatures have not been "invalidated".

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

muggins posted:

Tempest podcast? (Assume failed voice recognition...?) :)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ghost Hand posted:

Episode 125 – Horus Heresy 5: Tempest (Part One)

^^ Love bringing back Geoff for that one, he always provides a good viewpoint.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Horus Heresy V: Tempest :v:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

I do not think that will be the case. And even if it IS the case - I'm not going to worry about it NOW, before it HAS happened (capitals for emphasis). I'm still enjoying 40k as it is right now. I'm enjoying 30k as well. My boss always tells me "Worry without action is just wasted energy." It's a good point. If you are that worried about it - screw it. Jump ship and find something that you don't have to worry about so much I guess. This is supposed to be fun for its participants and if worry about the future is ruining that fun for anyone - they should just vote with their wallet and get out while they can!

I don't say that lightly - I obviously have spent over 5 years extolling the virtues of 40k and trying to help build the community. But ultimately I just want people to enjoy what they do. Whether that is a GW game or not.

"if you don't want a company that has a history of invalidating past purchases that are sold at ultra-premium prices, maybe games worskshop isn't for you"

edit: you seem like a decent guy but i'm really glad you're doing podcasts and stuff as opposed to like, doing something that directly affects human lives

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Can we stop dog-piling on Carl for him not hating on GW enough, and start dog-piling on him for not releasing the second half of his Horus Heresy 5 podcast? I almost fell asleep on the train yesterday because I didn't have enough plastic mans to listen to.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hey nerds. Last Shadowsword questions, I promise!

How do I model targeters and how does the primary weapon rule work with the D?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Uroboros posted:

Rules Q&A:
1: If I cast Endurance on a unit is the FnP canceled out by double strength weapons? I thought they would but my opponent swore up and down in my favor saying the Eternal Warrior special rule prevents instant death and thus preserves FnP.
2. Is there a limit on the number of Independent Characters that can be part of a unit?

1.You still can't FnP an Instant Death attack if you have Eternal Warrior. Eternal Warrior only prevents the automatic reduction of Wounds to 0, not the FnP cancellation portion.
2. Not that I'm aware of?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

Can we stop dog-piling on Carl for him not hating on GW enough, and start dog-piling on him for not releasing the second half of his Horus Heresy 5 podcast? I almost fell asleep on the train yesterday because I didn't have enough plastic mans to listen to.

there's a difference between dogpiling and 2 people saying "hey man, GW is doing a lot of stuff that isn't cool, i'd watch out if i were you. i didn't and i just got burned."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

"if you don't want a company that has a history of invalidating past purchases that are sold at ultra-premium prices, maybe games worskshop isn't for you"

edit: you seem like a decent guy but i'm really glad you're doing podcasts and stuff as opposed to like, doing something that directly affects human lives

Way to turn a quote about toy soldiers into a thinly veiled insult. Any stupid toys you buy for any price are intrinsically worthless - if you can't handle the truth that you are essentially throwing your money away, then any hobby isn't for you. GW hobbyists have had the weird luxury of old stuff still being worth money well after the game in question has passed on, but on average, there is no game company where old models are worth anything. Yes, GW is screwing over the veterans, but if you're crying about the thousands of dollars you pumped into your toys, Ghost Hand is correct in his assertion. Suck it up and move on.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Way to turn a quote about toy soldiers into a thinly veiled insult. Any stupid toys you buy for any price are intrinsically worthless - if you can't handle the truth that you are essentially throwing your money away, then any hobby isn't for you. GW hobbyists have had the weird luxury of old stuff still being worth money well after the game in question has passed on, but on average, there is no game company where old models are worth anything. Yes, GW is screwing over the veterans, but if you're crying about the thousands of dollars you pumped into your toys, Ghost Hand is correct in his assertion. Suck it up and move on.

:rolleyes:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ :cripes:

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I think the big story for Slanesh ending or changing is already being set up. I just read the four eldar books, and it's pretty obvious they're setting up a final confrontation between the various eldar factions and Slanesh one way or the other.

Almost every faction in dark eldar, craftworld, haemoculous, and harlequin entries point to some opinion or action towards ending Slanesh or the Eldar once and for all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hey nerds. Last Shadowsword questions, I promise!

How do I model targeters and how does the primary weapon rule work with the D?

I'm not aware of any way to model the targeters unfortunately. That being said, the Shadowsword's primary weapon (which is the D strength Volcano Cannon) uses a blast template and uses a scatter die to hit, so I don't think that going up to BS4 is that big a deal. In the game I played with it last week, every shot that scattered was still close enough to catch whatever I was shooting at, since I was mostly shooting at other superheavies. I'd rather have the pair of lascannons.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ANAmal.net posted:

No one is dog piling in me. I really actually appreciate the discussion... I know part 2 is SUPER late - its been a nightmare to schedule. But Geoff and I are recording tonight. The final episode will drop after my return from Warhammer World next week - so that's a pretty fitting end I think.

Carl

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

OR

gently caress yes. We are totally down to wreck poo poo before then.

We can also *potentially* get one more guy who's kind of a person in our group and lives in the DC area to join but he's tough to nail down and like 50% weeaboo so if you guys have a better +1, that'd own.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Also - this is not what I said. Nor what I meant.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 9, 2015

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Sex Cannon posted:

OR

Give Deets

Also 6 months and I apparnetly have a new codex for allll of my armies? And jesus what happened to Fantasy? $$$ aguhhh

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Direwolf posted:

And jesus what happened to Fantasy?
Don't look. It's not good. :smith:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Ghost Hand posted:

No one is dog piling in me. I really actually appreciate the discussion... I know part 2 is SUPER late - its been a nightmare to schedule. But Geoff and I are recording tonight. The final episode will drop after my return from Warhammer World next week - so that's a pretty fitting end I think.

Carl

I just wanted to bust your chops about the show being late, you can ignore the first part of that post (actually the entire post (actually all of my posts)).

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress yes. We are totally down to wreck poo poo before then.

We can also *potentially* get one more guy who's kind of a person in our group and lives in the DC area to join but he's tough to nail down and like 50% weeaboo so if you guys have a better +1, that'd own.

:getin:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ANAmal.net posted:

I just wanted to bust your chops about the show being late, you can ignore the first part of that post (actually the entire post (actually all of my posts)).

You have no idea how bad I actually feel about how late this episode is... sigh. You cut me to the core sir! :P

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hey look it's the Emperors Sigmars palace:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

TKIY posted:

Hey look it's the Emperors Sigmars palace:

At least it's something vaguely more art deco than just straight-up ripping off 40k's Baroque/Gothic style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

So, I know you guys are really busy discussing how much AoS affects your ability to enjoy 40K but I just wanted to butt in and say that the more I read about real-world conflicts like the first world war, etc. I gain an appreciation of the economic effects of global crises and the strain it puts on the treasuries of belligerent nations. So with that said I seriously don't know what would possibly be worse; being literally worked to death on the home front in order to supply the armed forces with supplies or being eviscerated leagues away from your home with no hope of ever seeing your family or loved ones again. I made the mistake of watching The ABC's of Death part 2 recently and one of the shorts was about these two kids who were playing with grimdark action figures and musing how cool it would be to be part of the setting and then they instantly get sucked into a vortex to that world and they're suddenly right in the middle of your typical guardsman bloodbath and they see dudes in flack armor getting vaporized by necron gauss guns and it all just seemed extremely excessive and infuriated me.

tl;dr life in the 40k universe sucks no matter who you are and don't watch the ABC's of death because watching kids get murdered/traumatized is apparently triggering for me?

• Locked thread