Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Law Cheetah posted:

My Hero Academia is inspired by American superhero comics, and One-Punch Man owes a lot more to old Japanese superhero cartoons and super sentai series.

MHA Is Like, Japanese American Superhero and OPM is Japanese Japanese Superhero

The closest thing it reminds me of is PS238. It's a long running webcomic about an elementary school for the super powered kids of superheroes. It hits a lot of the same notes. Main difference is the kids are younger so it's a little lighter, and everyone maintains secret identities.

I'm also going to put in a recommendation for Worm. It comes off like something that would get mocked a lot around here, but I really liked it. It does a lot of interesting stuff with the idea of super powers and how they would fit into society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Worm follows a very similar quality progression to Naruto in which it starts fairly strong with interesting characters dealing with human-level stuff, timeskips and forces up the scales to city destroyers and assorted bullshit to the point you stop caring.

It is also edgyhard where literally nobody can be a genuinely good guy because, and this is 100% true because I saw the dude saying it, the author doesn't believe there are heroes left in the world. So everybody has to be saddled with some trauma or motive or whatever.

Also the world itself is designed so only characters with mental hangups and/or brain problems get superpowers, and pushes them into conflict. (They get powers explicitly by experiencing a moment of significant trauma, just in case they were well-adjusted beforehand) By design, no powers are used in anything outside of combat.

The world is also designed so Reed Richards is Useless and any toys the superscience guys make are impossible to reapply or adapt or anything. This ties into the above. (Meanwhile any unpowered forces are reduced to irrelevancy, even though the guys with powers are a gross minority, by author magic wand. This is a staple of superhero comics, yes, but this is a series that tries to have its cake and eat it by positioning itself as 'more serious' and 'dealing with consequences' or whatever the gently caress and then sticks to the same nonsense staples)

And finally the protagonist devolves into some major hard man doing hard decisions bullshit but never gets her karma handed back at her.

That's my :goonsay: for today.

PD: Oh gently caress and how could I forget that one of the significant characters has literally Plot Fiat as her power in the sense she can see (and flawlessly execute) the ideal method to do whatever she wants to do (unless it falls within the spectrum of things that have been Author Wand'd as even more untouchable than her own untouchable-ness).

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk, i'd call moderate brain damage, ptsd, being shot in the head, and having to have your death faked and live in hiding because everybody who's anybody now hates and/or fears you pretty rough karma

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of disappointed that Mina's costume isn't some hideous Eighties fashion travesty. C'mon, girl, you've got a style to maintain.

Whatever Mina wears is automatically the best outfit there.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Repster posted:

Guess what?You work out? You get Swole. "Man sized shoulder" is just your perception of someone with thick shoulder muscles. Like, you know, a super-hero that's expected to grab a 100 kilo dude while getting him to safety, WHILE fighting a bunch of jerks.

You also get a huge rear end and huge thighs. You ever seen the dudes who don't skip leg day? He draws those muscles on the men but on the women they have these super buff arms and then these really shapeless legs. It's probably what throws me off so much since I'm expecting every part of them to be buff.

Waffleman_ posted:

:goonsay: I know you're like a superhero and strong and all, but you don't gotta look so manly about it, god!

If only you knew about how depraved the super hero fan communities get. If only.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh no my anime girls arent waifs.
They actually have structure that wouldnt snap at the slightest provocation.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no my anime girls arent waifs.
They actually have structure that wouldnt snap at the slightest provocation.

I'll drop it, I get it. I prefer different art than you. This doesn't mean I want to gently caress/marry 15 year old imaginary characters though; what the gently caress is going on in your head that that's the first thing you thought of?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I'll drop it, I get it. I prefer different art than you. This doesn't mean I want to gently caress/marry 15 year old imaginary characters though; what the gently caress is going on in your head that that's the first thing you thought of?

:aatrek:

It's not like there isn't a precedent. :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Let us not confuse waifs with waifus.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so what do you think about invisible girl's design

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Inflammatory posted:

I've never seen anything like it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Inflammatory posted:

a very transparent attempt at fanservice

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well I mean that much is clear.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's not very good at surprising you. I mean, you can see right through her sometimes.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Ow, these puns are brutal. There's no pun here.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I find it slightly confusing that I can see the interior of her clothes. It just works I guess.

E:
U C
HER

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Zeruel posted:

I find it slightly confusing that I can see the interior of her clothes. It just works I guess.

E:
U C
HER

Basically she is herself completely invisible, but unlike most examples it seems, she can't actually extend that power to most clothes. Think more the classic Invisible Man than Sue Storm.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Invisible Girl's favorite WWE wrestler is John Cena.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Worm had an interesting start, but it really needed an editor to rein it all in. I read through the second or third world ending disaster and skipped out on finishing it. It was like trying to plow through all 60 years of X-Men or something, just lots of plot coming from all angles in a dense tome that, by word count, is the equivalent of two and a half "Atlas Shrugged"s.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Kyte posted:

Things

Let's also not forget that there's an unstoppable god-monster running around that has planetary-scale behaviour modeling, effectively limitless pre and postcognition on a planetary scale, roughly a spiral galaxy's worth of matter protecting the only thing of them that matters, and telekinesis capable of discreetly performing brain-surgery on multiple people while fighting hundreds of superheroes in battle. And is well known for setting up massive rube-goldberg machines that will cause massive disaster years later.

And the only thing that could have brute-forced it is dead by the end of the story.

Oh, and let's not forget the second most overpowered character is a woman who's basically operating on autopilot, with a primary objective foiled by the fact that "The only thing I can't automatically win against is the thing I'm trying to beat", so they just end up turning the world into a crapsack out of hope that maybe it'll work (It does, but it's not because of anything they did, if anything, victory was had in spite of their actions, and not because of them).

Worm got really out of hand with the grimdark. Balanced stories where there's more than one or two token good people in a sea of assholes are generally better. Part of why I like MHA so much.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Worm sounds so batshit you guys are sorta selling me on checking it out

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Shieldhill posted:

Worm sounds so batshit you guys are sorta selling me on checking it out

It starts off fun and interesting and then dies a grim and dark death...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's the Warhammer Fantasy of online comix.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Having just read Worm, I think it's alright, and a lot of what people are saying are taking things out of context in order to make them sound worse. Not saying it's perfect - there is a character that insists on calling themselves "Bitch" in a way that isn't explained to my satisfaction - but I definitely don't think it's bad enough to dismiss out of hand.

MHA is really good though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nah it's p.bad and basically the worst excesses of 90's deconstructionism comics that doesn't even understand most of what it's trying to do was done better elsewhere decades ago. Also it needs a loving editor.

MHA on the other hand is indeed really good.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I understand that the story and characters are flawed, but how creative are the powers and abilities in Worm?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think this chapter might be another "holky poo poo" level chapter provided I'm not being trolled.

Case in point (Spoilerly as hell, warning. For real. :siren:): http://i.imgur.com/DRmnP3C.png

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mraagvpeine posted:

I understand that the story and characters are flawed, but how creative are the powers and abilities in Worm?

I am eternally disappointed by the fact the setting was specifically crafted so powers are only used for combat applications, so that's at least half of the possible interesting stuff nixed outright. (No Support Dept. or Rainmaker program here)
Tinkers, the superscience people, are also designed so they can't do anything interesting with their supertech beyond personal use, so there's that too.

It's basically all geared towards combat on the personal scale, all the tropes of a shonen manga or comic book but pretending it's not.

Within the field of combat applications, it's somewhat creative, I guess. The protagonist has high-tier bug controlling powers (perception, parallel processing for mass control, etc), and does some interesting stuff with it, although she'd be rendered completely useless if people (beyond one of the superscience guys) took some basic anti-insect measures. Take a look at here for a list.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Mraagvpeine posted:

They're all over the place. Some are pretty good, some are just so ridiculously overpowered that you don't need to be creative with it (One of the early antagonists has a power that's basically "I basically model two completely different paths, and get to take the one that's most beneficial to me at every moment", which basically makes him seem like nothing ever goes wrong for him, literally the only reason he loses is because he's a sadist who absolutely can't bring himself to give up an advantage under any circumstance, even if it would gain him another one.).

Generally speaking though, gimmick powers don't last long because they eventually run afoul of one of the ridiculously overpowered people in the setting, and then get themselves killed--because you literally have to perform feats on the level of "Depopulate towns" before they'll even consider authorizing lethal force on you. Part of the reason the setting is such a crapsack is because the people who are supposed to be keeping the peace are shackled by their own organization to consider "Keep powerful villains in play so they help fight the invincible god-monsters that attack every three months". to be a higher priority than "Actually doing your alleged job".

Natural Selection by dint of "There's genocidal, invincible god-monsters that attack every three months, and the only people with a semblance of sanity are busy trying to keep the assholes who maim and murder their way across the world to only do a little damage instead of bringing them to justice".

That, and the worst of the worst tend to have immortality clauses (One of them has a power that's "I possess whoever kills me, and they become the new me, along with all the powers of everyone who was part of this chain"), and one has literal Joker Immunity (Because the powers that be want him alive so that he triggers off the apocalypse while there's still a chance to survive it, and they have the aforementioned "I win at whatever I choose to do" character as a loyal employee.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 9, 2015

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Where is this worm manga? Google is not being helpful.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Google parahumans, and it's a webnovel.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mraagvpeine posted:

Powers are all over the place. There's a lot of really specific powers and there's some pretty creative limitations and ways of using them. There's a guy with teleport powers, but to use them he has to switch two objects of roughly the same size and weight. A guy who can freeze objects in time but can't control the duration etc etc.
90% of the powered people could probably be stopped with a bullet to the head. There's less of the traditional superhero thing where everyone has at least some super strength and healing.

People are complaining about tinkers only making gear for themselves, but that's been a thing basically everywhere. Same way Tony Stark isn't giving all the Avengers Ironman suits.

Alectai posted:

Generally speaking though, gimmick powers don't last long because they eventually run afoul of one of the ridiculously overpowered people in the setting, and then get themselves killed--because you literally have to perform feats on the level of "Depopulate towns" before they'll even consider authorizing lethal force on you. Part of the reason the setting is such a crapsack is because the people who are supposed to be keeping the peace are shackled by their own organization to consider "Keep powerful villains in play so they help fight the invincible god-monsters that attack every three months". to be a higher priority than "Actually doing your alleged job".

Natural Selection by dint of "There's genocidal, invincible god-monsters that attack every three months, and the only people with a semblance of sanity are busy trying to keep the assholes who maim and murder their way across the world to only do a little damage instead of bringing them to justice".

Again it's a pretty standard super hero trope that the villain always lives to cause trouble later. But there's at least a better reason than usual. The guy who smashes open a bank vault once in a while isn't really that dangerous in the long run, and you really would want him around when you're expecting an attack from a monster that can sink half of Japan.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Where is this worm manga? Google is not being helpful.
Sorry, but it's not a comic.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm also going to put in a recommendation for Worm. It comes off like something that would get mocked a lot around here, but I really liked it. It does a lot of interesting stuff with the idea of super powers and how they would fit into society.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I tried reading it but I found myself disliking the main character pretty fast and it's hard to keep reading a story written in the first person of someone you don't care for.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I think this chapter might be another "holky poo poo" level chapter provided I'm not being trolled.

Case in point (Spoilerly as hell, warning. For real. :siren:): http://i.imgur.com/DRmnP3C.png

It seems like every week you guys read the raws/spoilers/chinese scans and freak out and then the translation hits and it turns out okay.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't understand what trauma would need to happen to a person for their most enjoyed way of consuming media to be to read poorly translated and written summaries a day or two before reading the actual thing

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KoB posted:

It seems like every week you guys read the raws/spoilers/chinese scans and freak out and then the translation hits and it turns out okay.
Not really, everyone knows it's going to be okay. It's shounen- it's generally always okay. It's just cool that stuff actually started happening sooner than expected.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I just need a complaint about all of the best and strongest characters in Worm being female and I can fill out by "stupid complaints about Worm" bingo card guys

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like worm but it's admittedly a flawed story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i like worm but it's admittedly a flawed story

well it is an unedited first draft lol