Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

10 hours?! Holy poo poo now I understand why people are complaining about the 3.0 stuff being locked behind the MSQ.

Out of curiosity, was the 2.3 story written before or after the Furgeson rioting? I got to imagine there were some hilarious posts about SE being "insensitive".

That's the one about building up Mor Dhona with the refugees right? Pretty sure it was before. Regardless, Ferguson is neither the first nor the last time That Kind Of Thing happens in human history nor that there will be a fictional representation of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

did somebody say macros

That one isn't as bad because you can turn off emotes and say chat and go through a dungeon just fine. However you might need party chat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Boten Anna posted:

That's the one about building up Mor Dhona with the refugees right? Pretty sure it was before. Regardless, Ferguson is neither the first nor the last time That Kind Of Thing happens in human history nor that there will be a fictional representation of it.

I think they're more referring to the Ala Mhigan refugee riots.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also I'm not sure why he mentioned the first three hard mode primals cuz I don't think they're mandatory for anything?

They're required for starting the 2.5 MSQ. Most people just didn't notice it since we'd already done them for relics or whatnot.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They are for trials roulette iirc.

Nah, trials roulette got changed with 3.0 so that it works like LLDR. It unlocks once you've completed any two of the trials on the list and will only put you in ones you've completed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

did somebody say macros

Ah yes, the one person in the game that didn't think SCH was anime enough.

Besides, communicating with your pet via sentences like that is too slow for what is depicted in game. You must be using magic, hand signals or very short words to communicate!
:goonsay:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Besides, communicating with your pet via sentences like that is too slow for what is depicted in game. You must be using magic, hand signals or very short words to communicate!

... Now I need to convince a goon I know whos playing summoner to macro things like "ZORT!" *points* "BARP!" and other nonsense words. :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just make it dog orders.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Keep in mind the best practices from police/military dog trainers - you don't want to train your fairy using eorzian common. To make sure your targets can't confuse your fairy, you should train her to only obey orders {/shout}ed in tlhIngan Hol

Vvv: according to 12 year old humor, for best results be sure to name the dog along the lines of "Vaginal" or "Anal"

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 9, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Truga posted:

Just make it dog orders.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Man, for 3.0 Ninja should have gotten a dog

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Every three seconds real time equals one minute of in-game time, so a macro that represents ten seconds of dialog in game and taking a half a second in real time is about right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nipponophile posted:

Nah, trials roulette got changed with 3.0 so that it works like LLDR. It unlocks once you've completed any two of the trials on the list and will only put you in ones you've completed.

Sweet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

My carbuncle never attacks people, I have no idea how this could happen, usually it's really nice :kiddo:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, Bismark story mode isn't hard, but somehow I got the worst party for it in a roulette.

It started off with two DPS at the beginning of the fight falling off the platform after his initial slam on the island. So we wipe. Next time the person in charge of the generator fails to activate it. We wipe again. One of the DPS that fell off the cliff yells at us for not doing our job and ragequits. Other people quit too. We wait, and more party members join - we end up getting 4 bards as DPSes. We're able to get through the 1st phase, but we get to the blue and green dragons and fail the DPS check. Party wipes a forth time. Try again, and same thing. Because they're all bards, they think they don't need to be on Bismark (despite everyone saying GET ON THE drat WHALE) to hurt him. At that point, we vote to abandon duty. 40 minutes of my life over that crap. At least I got Cape Westwind on my next duty roulette!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

Every three seconds real time equals one minute of in-game time, so a macro that represents ten seconds of dialog in game and taking a half a second in real time is about right.

so a 2.5s GCD means you're actually using abilities once or twice per minute

wow this game really is like FFXI

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Getting used to the WM lifestyle and I still really don't like it, but at the very least the ability to instantly toggle it off helps. It adds a layer of complexity, and makes shots hit like a truck, but it just throws me off as it's such a sudden change from playing the class on the go for 2 years.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Man, Bismark story mode isn't hard, but somehow I got the worst party for it in a roulette.

It started off with two DPS at the beginning of the fight falling off the platform after his initial slam on the island. So we wipe. Next time the person in charge of the generator fails to activate it. We wipe again. One of the DPS that fell off the cliff yells at us for not doing our job and ragequits. Other people quit too. We wait, and more party members join - we end up getting 4 bards as DPSes. We're able to get through the 1st phase, but we get to the blue and green dragons and fail the DPS check. Party wipes a forth time. Try again, and same thing. Because they're all bards, they think they don't need to be on Bismark (despite everyone saying GET ON THE drat WHALE) to hurt him. At that point, we vote to abandon duty. 40 minutes of my life over that crap. At least I got Cape Westwind on my next duty roulette!

it's ok, i got levi hm for trial roulette last night. we wiped because no one pushed the button.

twice in a row

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SirPhoebos posted:

10 hours?! Holy poo poo now I understand why people are complaining about the 3.0 stuff being locked behind the MSQ.

Out of curiosity, was the 2.3 story written before or after the Furgeson rioting? I got to imagine there were some hilarious posts about SE being "insensitive".

Took me a week of a casual 3 hours a day to go from 2.1 to 2.55.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

There are 100 MSQs between 2.1 and 2.55. Ramuh is about halfway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

What is this thread for, exactly? Like I ain't in DGKK and it's not like 2006 anymore and i dont see a point to rando forums for every topic i'm interested in

It's just a more convenient option for some people. Both for people who want to post spoilers, and people who don't want to see spoilers.

Opposing Farce posted:

Also, since this is the connection I found when I went to look it up, in FFXII when you fight Zodiark you can steal the Serpentarius gem from him.

Also I'm about to BLOW YOUR MIND

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FF12 takes place in Ivalice. If you haven't played the game or want to replay it, you have to get a translated version of the zodiac job system release.

They added classes so everyone is not a samurblackmageknighthealergod. Makes spells to a degree viable, hunter and samurai can hit for over millions in damage. Damage cap unlocked from the start of the game. Zodiac spear is a subpar spear for dragoon.

Good changes

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I missed a 99% gathering attempt 3 times in a row. :shepicide:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was originally concerned about WHM's nerfing of Holy in 3.0, but after getting Aero 3, I can say that I'm quite happy with where the class is at. Aero 3 owns, Assize owns, Holy still owns even with the nerf, Stone 3 owns and has the highest single damage potency of any healer class, and in terms of raw healing output, it's still the best. I think if you combine with a decent scholar, you get a perfect mix of raw healing and support buffs that makes fights much easier for the rest of the party.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Fat_Cow posted:

:xcom:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fat_Cow posted:

That's literally a one and a million chance. The probability of getting something with a 1% chance happening three times in a row is 1 / 100^3, which is 1 / 1,000,000.

Congrats on your unlucky failure!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

seiferguy posted:

That's literally a one and a million chance. The probability of getting something with a 1% chance happening three times in a row is 1 / 100^3, which is 1 / 1,000,000.

Congrats on your unlucky failure!

But my Flax :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If it makes you feel any better, the chances of that happening are probably a lot higher depending on how the game's RNG works.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
As weird as the token system is for Alexander I have to say it's still going to make gearing up go by much quicker than the regular random drop system. Anyone who had a full set of gear from coil in the first 5 weeks would have had the most stupidly good luck imaginable.

abraham linksys posted:

I'd like to remind folks that registering for an off-site forum to read spoilers is way more effort than clicking on black bars

If you're playing on Excalibur you should already be registered there and if you aren't then nobody cares about you.

Pomp posted:

holy poo poo, they finally released the android port.

The IOS version was good. More or less a straight port of the PSP version, not a butchered hackjob like all the other mobile FF ports.

The online/multiplayer stuff from the PSP version simply doesn't exist in the iOS version as far as I can tell. Though when you beat the game it simply lets you buy all the super powerful bonus gear from the poach shop, and this unlocks on all your save games.

Zeratanis posted:

Dumb Theory #410: Watch the The Warring Triad end up being The Magus Sisters. :v:

That'd be a pretty dumb switch considering they're in game already and you can see them and what looks to be a structure containing Kefka right outside ARF and there's no question about what they look like.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Sorry, thread is too stupid even for me now. I've failed.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Holyshoot posted:

Browsing reddit so you don't have to. FFXIV players_macros.txt

Gonna go macro boost.jpg to my Battle Litany with sound effects now. Eorzea, can you feel it?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I appreciate they went to a token system for Alexander, but the implementation they went with can create a feeling of obligation to run each floor each week until you win the right token. Whether you pug, or you have a static, it could mean a lot of runs if you really need that crank and it isn't dropping, or you roll abysmally. The old loot system didn't necessarily give you anything week to week, but it also didn't allow you to run it endlessly so there was no imparted feeling of obligation.

The right answer is probably just to temper your expectations and not feel obligated to get every piece in 5 weeks, especially if/when your static doesn't have enough time to farm Alex NM and also work on Alex Savage. That and figure out ahead of time which Esoterics pieces will likely be better for your job (See: SCH and Esoterics chest).

It's still an improvement over 5 SMN books dropping in a row. :stare:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Belzac posted:

The argument"MCH/Bard have utility so their damage should be lower"
This is an invalid argument in my opinion for one simple fact and reason, ...oh wait I have 3 great reasons!

#1: Other classes get strong utility as well.
-Dragoon's crit buff is absolutely insane (15%!!!?!!?!) and increases piercing damage

-BLM gets Apochiasisis and is outright the king of AoE with no rival

-Monk gets enhanced mantra, removes buffs from enemies and reduces their intelligence and resistance by 10%

-SMN gets eye for an eye and supervirus

-Ninjas have smokescreen, trick attack (Oh and let me make clear what this ability does just to rub it in really well: Increases target's damage taken by 10% for 10s on a 60s cd timer.) And Goad (TP REGAIN) and Shadewalker

Your argument that the other DPS clasess do not bring strong utility is false at the highest level, it does not hold merit.

#2: THE DAMAGE REDUCTION IS BUILT INTO THEIR KITS.

BUILT. INTO. THEIR. KITS. AS. IS.

Bard gets a 15% damage reduction to ALL OF THEIR ABILITIES.

Mach absolutely loses their turret's dps contribution (80 potency spammed) and also invalidates their level 58 hypercharge ability! THIS IS NOTICABLE IN PRACTICE FOR CERTAIN.

It is not even close to the fact that these skills go unchecked. The DPS loss is significant and adds up QUICKLY when the songs are used. 10 seconds of the songs even is 10*DPS_LOSS. And mana is built into their kits and is lost as well, these skills do NOT come without significant tethers and DPS losses. They are already built to punish people significantly who activate the effects. These are NOT "pop and forget" abilities, they come at a premium. Also even if someone is naïve enough to leave them on they will run OOM quickly and be unable to provide this utility later.

#3: DPS CHECKS IN RAIDS.
BARDS AND MACHINISTS TAKE UP A DPS SLOT. Go try Ravana EX with multiple bards and machinists, you simply can not do it.

Then try it with a full team of monks or dragoons and see it be the easiest clear you've ever had (I speak from personal experience).

At present taking more than ONE OF a Bard or Machinist is a liability at DPS checks. Either as a healer (Me) you have to DPS to make up for the lost damage or you will not pass.

"But the numbers in dps calculators say it isn't that much lower", HONEY IN PRACTICE IT IS THAT MUCH LOWER. Whether that be because of cast times or whatever else it is just flat out that much lower at present.

This isn't acceptable for two classes to be so below the rest in the same role that it is almost abhorred to take even a bard and a machinist (one of each). It is an EXCLUSIVE OR Bard or machinist if not take neither at present.

However because of healers mana demands they are granted a spot begrudgingly in statics/ party finder groups.

Closing statement ------------

So why do we have this mentality that Bards and Machinists MUST have at least 20% lower DPS... BEFORE EVEN USING THEIR MANASONG/LOSING THEIR CRITICAL TURRET? (So even lower?!?!?!?!)

They have also been forced to eat the massive "nerf" of casting times that now they cannot move much at all compared to before with WM and Gauss. In other words their playstyle has been crippled ontop of their lower damage.

So I strongly feel that this argument that bards/machinists should have lower DPS at any given moment than other DPS classes is an invalid statement that should be made obsolete.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Source your quotes.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
The formatting gave me away didn't it. Who the gently caress formats like that :psyduck:

Reader, beware, you're in for a scare!

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 9, 2015

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Belzac posted:

Eorzean Christmas came early!

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Evil Fluffy posted:

As weird as the token system is for Alexander I have to say it's still going to make gearing up go by much quicker than the regular random drop system. Anyone who had a full set of gear from coil in the first 5 weeks would have had the most stupidly good luck imaginable.

My problem with the token system is that its boring as hell.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
It was nice while it lasted, but the bots are returning and the gil sellers are whispering.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's much more exciting for loot to rot by week 2 and to never see a given piece of loot after 20 runs.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So how are Kefka and Cloud of Darkness coming into FFXIV? Is Gilgamesh running a travel agency now? Or do we just not know yet?

EDIT: One detail I like is how all the new content (and not just the latest Primal fight) are integrated into the story of each patch, although I can imagine depending on how someone levels a new character it can produce some weird moments:

Scion: Hey, this new rogue discipline sounds mighty interesting, you should check it out!
*Lvl 50 Ninja player nods enthusiastically*

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I'm curious if people in progression statics are actually willing to grind out Alexander long enough for 8 springs and shafts to drop every week and if so how long it took them.

• Locked thread