Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

they could also just not rewrite the game 17000 times, or only get the CG cutscenes made once they actually have things written

coulda, woulda, shoulda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I still really appreciate the CGI cut scenes in FF games, but if something expensive needs to be cut in order to refine the quality of other features or to simply ensure the survival of the main line series then I would be ok if those were on the chopping block.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Minrad posted:

But then you're conceding that Gilgamesh dies alone and thinking of Bartz in The After Years

After Years isn't canon. We did not put a Cecil on the moon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Minrad posted:

But then you're conceding that Gilgamesh dies alone and thinking of Bartz in The After Years
Dying alone and thinking of butz is a fate we can all relate to in the Final Fantasy Megathread.

Xavier434 posted:

I still really appreciate the CGI cut scenes in FF games, but if something expensive needs to be cut in order to refine the quality of other features or to simply ensure the survival of the main line series then I would be ok if those were on the chopping block.
It stopped being justifiable when the CGI in Chapters 1 and 12 of FF13 were non sequiturs because their production schedule required committing to a cutscene before the story was actually finalized.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
CGI was nice during the PS1 era but graphics these days are solid enough now that we don't really need them anymore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

CGI was nice during the PS1 era but graphics these days are solid enough now that we don't really need them anymore.

Yeah. In engine scenes will also always age better because future tech will enable them to run nicely

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish I could show 10 year old me what games look like today because the CGI cutscenes in VII/VIII/IX were mind blowing to me and I thought it'd be amazing to have a whole game like that

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish I could show 10 year old me what games look like today because the CGI cutscenes in VII/VIII/IX were mind blowing to me and I thought it'd be amazing to have a whole game like that

Replaying FF8, this is my exact thought every time a cutscene comes on. And that's on top of the cutscenes mostly aging pretty badly and just looking worse than what some games put out in engine now :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cid crystalizing, then being alive again only to die 10 minutes later was the dumbest

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I think the only recent game with absurdly good cgi cutscenes was Diablo 3. Stuff in those scenes were amazing looking.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Yeah this is why I am ok with it now. If we were in any era before the 360/PS3 days I would object more.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Golden Goat posted:

I think the only recent game with absurdly good cgi cutscenes was Diablo 3. Stuff in those scenes were amazing looking.

Probably stretching the definition of "recent" but I like the prerendered cutscenes of cartoony stuff like Ratchet and Clank since they still have way more motion than the gameplay. It's kind of a shame that graphics have gotten so good but everybody still has to move like dolls.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycot posted:

Probably stretching the definition of "recent" but I like the prerendered cutscenes of cartoony stuff like Ratchet and Clank since they still have way more motion than the gameplay. It's kind of a shame that graphics have gotten so good but everybody still has to move like dolls.

The PS4 ratchet and clank stuff looks insanely good

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

mycot posted:

Most recent then. The point is if you put in a ton of effort into it you can pull off cgi scenes. Totally not worth the effort though i'm sure.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CGI looks dated as soon as the industry standard resolution changes, in-game cutscenes can look good forever

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

CGI looks dated as soon as the industry standard resolution changes, in-game cutscenes can look good forever
In-game cutscenes can still look dated as hell.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Just as dated as the game itself, so it's not as jarring.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

A Steampunk Gent posted:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Golden Goat posted:

Most recent then. The point is if you put in a ton of effort into it you can pull off cgi scenes. Totally not worth the effort though i'm sure.

Ah, sorry, I was referring to my own post with that recent comment, not yours. (I haven't made a judgement on the PS4 Ratchet and Clank because I'm still not sure what promotional clips are from the movie or the game, which I guess is to its credit.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That's because that's a JPG, if you posted his face in PNG he's sexy as gently caress.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've got a special nostalgia boner for PS1 RPGs that had the hybrid CGI and 3d interactive scenes where the 3d stuff went extra aliased and the background CGI was streamed at the quality of Real Player.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

mycot posted:

Ah, sorry, I was referring to my own post with that recent comment, not yours. (I haven't made a judgement on the PS4 Ratchet and Clank because I'm still not sure what promotional clips are from the movie or the game, which I guess is to its credit.)

Sorry. Still though it applies to D3 anyway. It's been out for a while now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The CGI in the two latest Fire Emblem games has been slick as hell.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

In-game cutscenes can still look dated as hell.

If you go back to the PS1 era maybe, but with more modern titles like Valkyria Chronicles PC port the FMVs can actively look worse than the in-engine visuals between the locked resolution of prerendered video and access to updated graphic options like AA, AF and all that

And even pretty old titles like MGS can look pretty sharp rendered at 1080p, it's probably aged better than it would have with FFVII-era prerendered cutscenes

Rendered in a modern resolution, Squall doesn't actually look anywhere near so hideous, which is my point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UIPqd71iY

e: @4:56 for reference, SA keeps eating the timestamp

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 9, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Terper posted:

The CGI in the Tellius saga was good as well. CGI wasn't the problem in those game's case.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Terper posted:

That's because anime is good.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I did it, I finished FF3DS (the Android port). There were times when I started thinking how it's not that bad, but then I ran into a boss that kills my entire team in one or two turns before I could do anything because they get two actions per turn (strangely enough, the final boss was one of the easiest boss fights in the entire game). Can't imagine playing through that without the mobile version's constant autosaving (or savestates I guess). gently caress FF3DS, it really is the worst game in the series.

Some of the music was nice though, and I really really like the final dungeon theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LtSNkwprw

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Veib posted:

I did it, I finished FF3DS (the Android port). There were times when I started thinking how it's not that bad, but then I ran into a boss that kills my entire team in one or two turns before I could do anything because they get two actions per turn (strangely enough, the final boss was one of the easiest boss fights in the entire game). Can't imagine playing through that without the mobile version's constant autosaving (or savestates I guess). gently caress FF3DS, it really is the worst game in the series.

Some of the music was nice though, and I really really like the final dungeon theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LtSNkwprw

I had the exact same experience. I booted up FF4DS and it seems wayyyyy better so far, we'll see how it holds up.

I'll add that I really liked the Crystal Tower's music, as well as the boss music's intro.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
XIII's plot progression sucks because you go from a place that has wicked awesome airships to a place that has none. As far as I can tell. I haven't even gotten to that stupid Oerba village yet.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I think all of FF9s cgi has held up fairly well. Especially the airship chase from disc 1. It probably helps that ff9 had a cartoony art style.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Ohtsam posted:

I think all of FF9s cgi has held up fairly well. Especially the airship chase from disc 1. It probably helps that ff9 had a cartoony art style.

the CG was so good they reused the assets for that infamous FFIX Coka-Cola commercial.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Endorph posted:

they could also just not rewrite the game 17000 times, or only get the CG cutscenes made once they actually have things written

It's just been their style of announcing and producing games. They often create a concept and visuals for a game before a prototype or gameplay template is established. The creative staff enjoys getting their work in front of people. Management likes to show investors they have a lot of projects in production.

At e3, they showed off a number of new games through CGI trailers or just concept art. Nevertheless, they got a positive response in spite of no actual gameplay footage being shown. I guess they'll keep on doing it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Veib posted:

I really truly want to like FF3 because of the aesthetic and the soundtrack, but I really can't enjoy a game where every single dungeon and most bosses are "that" dungeon and boss

I dunno who thought an entire game of dungeons that play out like the magnet dungeon from FF4 would be a good idea

That said I really did like FF3 for the NES when I was dumb and in high school and would save scum/fast forward the poo poo out of it. I was really excited for FF3DS and then it made me realize I never had the true FF3 experience when I couldn't do that

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Sunning, I don't suppose you know anything about the Japanese reception to FFXIV: Heavensward, do you? Isn't the game basically dead over there at this point?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The only thing I know about FF3 is that it's definitely a prequel to the best game in the series, FF8 (aka FFVIII (pronounced FF Versus Three))

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

I, too, use a jpg with compression artefacts for a comment on visual fidelity.

:pseudo:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

source

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gologle posted:

Yes. FFXII is before FFT, over a thousand years I think, so it hasn't gotten to the point where civilization is wiped out by them yet

I like to think that the Occuria in 12 were guiding humanity to prevent the sort of catastrophe that led to the world decline in FFT, so by throwing off their yoke, Venat basically screwed the species over. This is probably incorrect but it adds to the ambiguity so it's a fun thing to ponder.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Francis posted:

Sunning, I don't suppose you know anything about the Japanese reception to FFXIV: Heavensward, do you? Isn't the game basically dead over there at this point?

It's difficult to say since the most we know so far are the Japanese retail sales for Heavensward for the PS3/PS4. We don't know how well it's doing on PC but the PC gaming market in Japan is very small. The platform tends to be used more for browser games than traditional PC games.

It'll probably take a few weeks to see if the expansion maintains the interest of players and attracts new ones. Nevertheless, the Japanese sales for Heavensward weren't particularly good, especially if digital sales aren't making up for it. Data released for FFXIV:ARR's Japanese digital sales on consoles had it selling at a small fraction of its 285K Japanese retail sales.

Throughout the development and launch of A Realm Reborn, Japanese players were generally more critical of the changes when compared to Western players. The server consolidation plan was met with tremendous backlash. In the Japanese Q&A sessions, they were unhappy with the 'WOW-ification' of the game and the move towards appealing to an international audience. There's just been more of a confrontational atmosphere on forums and social media. It could just be the nature of hardcore fans being more active in communities.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Japanese players, especially the casual ones, just left altogether when FFXIV 1.0 had its disastrous launch. In Japan, MMORPGs have become more and more a niche. A big barrier is that Japanese populations peak very late at night due to most work/school schedules. Some developers, including Square-Enix, are porting games to smart devices to attract more casual players who can play at their convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Gamma Nerd posted:

I like to think that the Occuria in 12 were guiding humanity to prevent the sort of catastrophe that led to the world decline in FFT, so by throwing off their yoke, Venat basically screwed the species over. This is probably incorrect but it adds to the ambiguity so it's a fun thing to ponder.

I like that interpretation, because it suggests a double edged sword. "Yeah, humanity gets to decide what it wants to do rather than be herded, but eventually, as a result, magic starts to decline and all this awesome stuff goes away"