Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's concept art, 90% of it means sweet gently caress all to what happens in the finished product. It's just things people draw up to start getting a feel for the setting and what they want to do with it. It'd be weird if they didn't have something like that, what with other landmarks of the Revolutionary War we have floating around the city.

With that being said yeah, I could see them having a crazy raider of some sort that wears it because there's an anti-raider group calling themselves the Minutemen running about.

Gonna honor my English heritage and join the Redcoats.

Or maybe I'll just be a Red Cap instead; I am a murderer of mythic proportions, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If there's an invading force of British douchebags to join up with this might be the first RPG I play on the rear end in a top hat path the first time through :britain:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

King Arthur is gonna cross the pond and kick the Brotherhood's rear end for stealing all their Knightly imagery. They'll come with power swords, laser lances and robot horses.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 9, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Anita Dickinme posted:

Maybe post-war Europe is more accepting, like with everything else, than America with the Ghoul thing and lets them in the Army and such.

Or Bethesda could be going a more gruesome-looking super mutant route and that particular super mutant was in the middle of a Independence War reenactment or saw the clothes and took them from a store or something. I'm in favor of super mutants looking a bit more scary and skinless.

But super mutants are mutated because of FEV.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I can just see them looking at NV and seeing the scavenger romans and thinking 'yeah, we can totally have a group running around in tricorns and redcoats'.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lotish posted:

Arthur is gonna cross the bond and kick the Brotherhood's rear end for stealing all their Knightly imagery. They'll come with power swords, laser lances and robot horses.

This was a thing in Rifts.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Maybe post-war Europe is more accepting, like with everything else, than America with the Ghoul thing and lets them in the Army and such.

Post-war Europe is two rocks and a goat the Europeans take turns loving. The goat may be a ghoul. They got hit hilariously bad by their own war even before the last war, and that just made things infinitely worse. And there's no real indication they had any Vault program [Which after all was largely a US Government funded enterprise, and unlike the real world there wasn't quite the same exact Cold War dynamic to make America give a gently caress if anyone survived over there to combat Communism] to help the rebuilding process.

It's the secondary reason all the games take place in America. A bunch of naked and starved ape-men huddled around a bit of irradiated water is amusing, but it's not really conductive to an RPG. You actually need somewhere with the resources to rebuild a bit to tell any type of story. That and nobody likes a loser.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably just some ghouls in some reenactor's clothes they found.

Given that it's Boston it wouldn't surprise me if there was a group of them and if there was a quest involving throwing something (tea) into the river.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Davoren posted:

I can just see them looking at NV and seeing the scavenger romans and thinking 'yeah, we can totally have a group running around in tricorns and redcoats'.
That would actually be a Legitimately Good Thing though

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Is there any Fallout lore about what happened to Europe? I have to imagine that either the Fallout version of the EU picks a side and gets flattened, or individual countries pick sides and flatten each other, or Europe stays out of it and when things turn to poo poo everywhere else Africa and/or Russia invade to try and get some of that sweet, sweet socialized healthcare. Then Europe has to resort to a scorched earth policy of pulling back from threatened areas and nuking them to stem the tide of invadigrants.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Well we already know there is going to be a medieval faction with nobility if Fallout Shelter is anything to go by.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nevets posted:

Is there any Fallout lore about what happened to Europe? I have to imagine that either the Fallout version of the EU picks a side and gets flattened, or individual countries pick sides and flatten each other, or Europe stays out of it and when things turn to poo poo everywhere else Africa and/or Russia invade to try and get some of that sweet, sweet socialized healthcare. Then Europe has to resort to a scorched earth policy of pulling back from threatened areas and nuking them to stem the tide of invadigrants.

europe and the middle east nuked each other into nuclear shitholes before the great war happened.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
How did the dude in Megaton still have a British accent if there was no more Britain?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

New Leaf posted:

How did the dude in Megaton still have a British accent if there was no more Britain?

same way how tenpenny sailed across the sea i guess?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nevets posted:

The European Commonwealth got into a giant war in the Middle-East that did sweet gently caress all to help them, then a bunch of people left the Commonwealth, then there was a massive civil war as the nations of Europe tore themselves to pieces for the remaining resources, then the world ended. What we know for sure is that the last war the UK declared was against....the Italians. And they didn't even win before the world ended. For shame, Britain.

No wonder the remaining survivors beat rear end to America even centuries later.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

New Leaf posted:

Colin Moriarty? James also had a bit of an irish lilt too.
In a place like Boston with such a ~crazy kooky accent~ it would be hard to believe that that accent wouldn't eventually permeate into all people within a small vault society.
e: also who cares

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

drat, I just looked at the Wiki.. didn't realize there were so many Brits in Fallout.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I imagine there were a lot of refugees from the European war, despite the Commonwealths' paranoid isolationist policies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sout posted:

~crazy kooky accent~

Uh, excuse me, but I believe you mean "very sophisticated, nuanced and great accent, for people who are wicked smart and deserve prizes for their neat way of speaking."

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I unabashedly wish I was British. But mostly just so I could join the Yogscast.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

New Leaf posted:

I unabashedly wish I was British.

you should try it some time, it's fun inbetween the bits where it's miserable.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

2house2fly posted:

I love the hidden checks in PoE. I think someone was making a mod like that for New Vegas, painstakingly going through every skill check and removing the tags, but that would take ages so they probably gave up on it.
For what it's worth, Ⓧ HI PRETTY LADY may allow precisely this sort of invisible skill check.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Truecon420 posted:

Oh my god... Are we really going to fight... the British?

What is the likelihood of this being canon?

I am going to be very disappointed if we don't get a bald wig wearing Protectron companion named Benjamin Frank-Bot voiced by Danny Devito out of this theoretical DLC.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

If there's an invading force of British douchebags to join up with this might be the first RPG I play on the rear end in a top hat path the first time through :britain:

I still want it to be animatronic killbots from It's A Small World.

Alternate option: Vault 1773, a historical reenactment experiment. Different cultures from across history functioning in a mock UN. Redcoats and the Aztecs come out on top after a massive sectarian war, their cultures cross-assimilate. Vault door opens, Massachusetts shits itself.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Post-war Europe is two rocks and a goat the Europeans take turns loving. The goat may be a ghoul. They got hit hilariously bad by their own war even before the last war, and that just made things infinitely worse. And there's no real indication they had any Vault program [Which after all was largely a US Government funded enterprise, and unlike the real world there wasn't quite the same exact Cold War dynamic to make America give a gently caress if anyone survived over there to combat Communism] to help the rebuilding process.

It's the secondary reason all the games take place in America. A bunch of naked and starved ape-men huddled around a bit of irradiated water is amusing, but it's not really conductive to an RPG. You actually need somewhere with the resources to rebuild a bit to tell any type of story. That and nobody likes a loser.

So maybe all Brits are ghouls and we'll be fighting against/for a British ghoul army. I would be down for this, as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

So maybe all Brits are ghouls and we'll be fighting against/for a British ghoul army. I would be down for this, as well.

Europeans were all mutated into orks super mutants that settle their disputes with footy and footy-related riots.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bicyclops posted:

FYI, "no saving in the wilderness" is the inherently stupid idea, as is the idea that save scumming is some kind of a design flaw when, for the four hundredth time, like fast travel, it is something that you can simply choose not do if you don't want to.

People who are concerned that reloading saves ruins verisimilitude can only have this concern because they want everyone else to play the game the way that they play it.

That's silly, though. The game is (should) be designed around the save system that it has. Combat encounters are presumably going to be based around the fact that the player isn't going to lose very much progress if he dies, which means that manually doing a save-in-owned-beds thing is going to be a bad experience.

Also I'm not against unlimited quicksave because of the immersion, I think it just leads to bad encounter design, and kills a lot of tension in combat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bholder posted:

NV barely had any Low-Int option anyway

Fallout 3 had a lot of "low intelligence" dialogue!!!! ha ha ha

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

and that particular super mutant was in the middle of a Independence War reenactment or saw the clothes and took them from a store or something. I'm in favor of super mutants looking a bit more scary and skinless

and dashing.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Lotish posted:

King Arthur is gonna cross the pond and kick the Brotherhood's rear end for stealing all their Knightly imagery. They'll come with power swords, laser lances and robot horses.

Every Girl's Fantasy, Now a Reality

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alain Post posted:

Also I'm not against unlimited quicksave because of the immersion, I think it just leads to bad encounter design, and kills a lot of tension in combat.

No it doesn't; those things exist independent of unlimited quicksaves. A game's combat does not need to be designed "around" quicksaves in order to incorporate them (which is easy), nor do I think there is any evidence that games which do not include quicksaves have easier combat, better encounter design, or cause you to lose less progress when you are defeated in combat.

It is a feature, and the fallacy that combat is designed around it purely because it is included is the same as the fallacy that games which include fast travel as a feature involve game world design which is empty if you walk around exploring. Don't use it if you want to create artificial tension in combat.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

No it doesn't; those things exist independent of unlimited quicksaves. A game's combat does not need to be designed "around" quicksaves in order to incorporate them (which is easy), nor do I think there is any evidence that games which do not include quicksaves have easier combat, better encounter design, or cause you to lose less progress when you are defeated in combat.

It is a feature, and the fallacy that combat is designed around it purely because it is included is the same as the fallacy that games which include fast travel as a feature involve game world design which is empty if you walk around exploring. Don't use it if you want to create artificial tension in combat.

Self discipline and control are not high priority items among the posters to the Games section of forums.somethingawful.com

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magmarashi posted:

Self discipline and control are not high priority items among the posters to the Games section of forums.somethingawful.com

It is not, and should not, be the player's job to play game designer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you need to rely on not letting me save to create tension you're an rear end in a top hat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also if the game designer is making a game with quicksave, and isn't designing combat around the fact that the player can restore at any time, then that's just bad game design. The save system is a game mechanic, and the fact that multiple lovely games exist that don't think about what effect the save system will have on gameplay isn't some kind of rebuttal.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Suave Fedora posted:

Every Girl's Fantasy, Now a Reality

There needs to be at least one of those in the game somewhere that a scavenger has meticulously rebuilt to use as loot transport.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

loving Dark Souls made people hate saves.

Alain Post posted:

Also if the game designer is making a game with quicksave, and isn't designing combat around the fact that the player can restore at any time, then that's just bad game design. The save system is a game mechanic, and the fact that multiple lovely games exist that don't think about what effect the save system will have on gameplay isn't some kind of rebuttal.

here's the effect quicksaves will do to combat:

If you fail, you reload.

The end.

If you mean that this will remove cases where you enter an area and an unwinnable combat situation where you have to leave and forget about it until you are overleveled and the area is stupidly easy then 1) GOOD 2) That's actually not true, you can re-load infinitely if the combat is impossible you cannot win anyway.

In the end, limited saves just makes the game stupidly annoying.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Just make load times several minutes long

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bholder posted:

loving Dark Souls made people hate saves.

here's the effect quicksaves will do to combat:

If you fail, you reload.

The end.

If you mean that this will remove cases where you enter an area and an unwinnable combat situation where you have to leave and forget about it until you are overleveled and the area is stupidly easy then 1) GOOD 2) That's actually not true, you can re-load infinitely if the combat is impossible you cannot win anyway.

In the end, limited saves just makes the game stupidly annoying.

I know what let's do, let's make saving only possible in certain special rooms. Let them be safe rooms of a sort, with item storage shared between them. To limit the players reliance on these save rooms, though, they must collect ribbons tapes that they must use with a typewriter computer console to save.

If you use too many of them, and they are limited haha, then Todd Howard comes to your house to personally take a poo poo in the tank of your toilet.

This will invigorate combat by means of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

bing_commander posted:

Just make load times several minutes long

That may happen regardless.

• Locked thread