Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I set myself a reminder for the kickstarter for The Bards Tale IV, which ends in 48 hours (it's by inXile, the Wasteland 2 folks). Knowing absolutely nothing about that franchise, is there any reason at all to be excited about the fourth one and thus back it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I set myself a reminder for the kickstarter for The Bards Tale IV, which ends in 48 hours (it's by inXile, the Wasteland 2 folks). Knowing absolutely nothing about that franchise, is there any reason at all to be excited about the fourth one and thus back it.

Not really. If you have no strong nostalgia for Bard's Tale it isn't anything special.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Gungnir, do I need to worry about hiring some generic units and keeping them up to date, or will I get enough unique characters to cover everything the generics could do?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Nate RFB posted:

The 2004 one isn't amazing or anything but it's not bad and actually pretty funny. Or it was when I was 15.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually there's not much of a point in worrying about it since it's already funded, and therefore I can just do the Yooka-Laylee thing and sit back and wait to see if it's actually any good and then buy it through normal channels when it comes out.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Because I think it'll be a few days before I've chilled out enough to reattempt that raft ride and the reactor in Musashi, I restarted Final Fantasy 9. I started it years ago, then for whatever reason left it sitting at the first village. And, one three-hour sitting later, I'm back to where I left off.

I remember there were a handful of summons you could miss in FF7 (and I did miss three; Alexander, Hades, and... uh, the boar whose name I couldn't spell even if I knew it). Since this is the game with that sidequest that went undiscovered for thirteen years, are there any other dick moves this game pulls that I should keep an eye out for?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Codiekitty posted:

Because I think it'll be a few days before I've chilled out enough to reattempt that raft ride and the reactor in Musashi, I restarted Final Fantasy 9. I started it years ago, then for whatever reason left it sitting at the first village. And, one three-hour sitting later, I'm back to where I left off.

I remember there were a handful of summons you could miss in FF7 (and I did miss three; Alexander, Hades, and... uh, the boar whose name I couldn't spell even if I knew it). Since this is the game with that sidequest that went undiscovered for thirteen years, are there any other dick moves this game pulls that I should keep an eye out for?

Dont sell your weapons, you need a few early ones for weapon fusion (I think the Ogre or Mage-Masher is the REALLY lovely one that cant be bought again for a few discs?).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

If you're angry at the first reactor section you may as well throw in the towel and watch an LP because round 2 will rip your nuts off.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Don't sell anything, buy a few extra copies of things in each town just to have them, search everywhere, check Mognet every single time you pass by a moogle even if you don't think anything has changed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why are people selling things in RPGs? Breath of Fire 3 taught me to never sell anything for any reason, unless the description specifically says "this item has no purpose other than to be sold." And even then, it's a calculated risk.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

If you're angry at the first reactor section you may as well throw in the towel and watch an LP because round 2 will rip your nuts off.

It could be frustrating me more normal since I'm just not at my most patient time of the month right now, which is another reason for me to wait a few days.

(I don't have nuts for the game rip off, but I guess it could still punch me in the uterus)

Clarste posted:

Why are people selling things in RPGs? Breath of Fire 3 taught me to never sell anything for any reason, unless the description specifically says "this item has no purpose other than to be sold." And even then, it's a calculated risk.

Part of it for me is 8- and 16-bit RPGs that had very limited inventory space (Hello, Final Fantasy 1), so you had to sell your old equipment. And even though I know modern RPGs have infinite space, sometimes I just like being tidy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I sell stuff in xeboblade all the time, since you don't get money directly and most of it is trash

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clarste posted:

It's really annoying in games with terrible menus. If you don't have a robust sort function but an infinite inventory then go jump off a bridge.

But usually your inventory is trash except for the handful of games with crafting/synthesis/whatever. Final Fantasy 9 and Dragon Quest 8 were huge kicks in the rear end as you have these series where selling equipment is the norm but suddenly they roll out a system where you need to hang on to practically everything. DQ8 twists the knife by having some of the best items in the game require your starting gear but you don't get the alchemy pot for like 10 hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

I sell stuff in xeboblade all the time, since you don't get money directly and most of it is trash

Hope you don't sell Collectapedia stuff - you need it for affinity-raising within the party.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hope you don't sell Collectapedia stuff - you need it for affinity-raising within the party.

But you don't have enough space in your bag for even all of the random quest stuff.

:shepicide:

The inventory limits in Xenoblade loving sucked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Nah, the two Legend of Grimrock's are basically modern day Bard's Tale games so I'm not really sure what a new one one could add, unless they're going the route of that weird action RPG parody thing that used the name ten years ago.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Davincie posted:

but you can kill her if you want?

I probably didn't get that option because I avoided them at every juncture in favor of the pop star, who of course just disappeared. The split paths felt too opaque for my tastes.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i don't remember what I did but I easily avoided the church people without thinking about it. I chose the 'gently caress everyone i'm going to the top' ending though.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

The White Dragon posted:

I probably didn't get that option because I avoided them at every juncture in favor of the pop star, who of course just disappeared. The split paths felt too opaque for my tastes.

They do feel really arcane, as SMT paths often are. I liked the cult girl the best though because none of their personalities interested me much and she has a giant flower on her head and a giant loop for sleeves. I literally do not remember anything about personalities now except really disliking the blue haired girl in the pink outfit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Erg posted:

In Gungnir, do I need to worry about hiring some generic units and keeping them up to date, or will I get enough unique characters to cover everything the generics could do?
You don't need to worry about it but all of the generics are just as good as the unique characters. In fact the unique characters don't even share classes with the generics IIRC, so you can use whomever. You should at least use Giullo and Alissa though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I seem to remember Gungnir annoying the hell out of me for some reason, was that the game where chests had hit points you needed to deplete to open them which would waste multiple turns?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yes, you're not supposed to really go out of your way for them too much on your first play through.

Welcome to Sting games, where everything you want to do is probably not what they intended for you to do.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They brought over that chest mechanic to their next game too.
Gungnir was never localized, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

no, it was

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HGH posted:

It's better to treat it this way because that game suuuuuuuucked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

Maybe thinking of Grand Knight History? That got announced for localisation but got canned because Xseed ran out of money or something. That was Vanillaware not Sting though.

Sting's most recent game has dumb chest mechanics too. In more than one sense.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GulagDolls posted:

i liked the choice system in devil survivor. it was basically 'who do you like the most out of all these animes' and 'yourself' is an option

Devil Survivor 2 may have had a much lamer Evangelion ripoff main plot, but the ability to play your main character as a total goofball rear end in a top hat more than made up for it, IMHO. Also getting to be bros with Al Psyduck was cool and chill.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also getting to be bros with Al Psyduck was cool and chill.

That dude quickly became one of my favorite SMT characters, but I may be biased in that I have always been fond of original-model Kaworu.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yo what the gently caress, Square Enix just announced Dragon Quest Minecraft Builders: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-builders-announced-ps4-ps3-ps-vita

This looks so completely shameless that I dunno what to feel. Maybe it'll turn out to actually be its own thing.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Some details were just released and it actually sounds pretty.... cool? I sort of want to play this....

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-builders-details-protagonist-story-gameplay

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, the two Legend of Grimrock's are basically modern day Bard's Tale games so I'm not really sure what a new one one could add, unless they're going the route of that weird action RPG parody thing that used the name ten years ago.

Other than being first-person party-based dungeon crawlers, the Legend of Grimrock games are pretty much nothing like The Bard's Tale games. Legend of Grimrock is more in the vein of the real-time, slightly twitch-based games like Dungeon Master and Eye of The Beholder. Bard's Tale is pretty much a grindier, more obnoxious version of the first three Wizardry games.

There's really no reason to get excited about Bard's Tale other than nostalgia. The first was OK for its time (1985) but doesn't hold up well at all, and the second and third were terrible games even when they were released.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

if you go naoyo's evil path (he has 2) you can kill her without even talking to her once. i did so last week while totally avoiding her before that since i had already done her path. true on the pop star though, i haven't encountered her in any of the three paths i've done

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dont sell your weapons, you need a few early ones for weapon fusion (I think the Ogre or Mage-Masher is the REALLY lovely one that cant be bought again for a few discs?).

it's actually worse than that, you need to buy extra copies of javelin or some poo poo to make everything much later

just don't loving bother trying to complete ff9 :fireman:

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 9, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The best way to go thru FF9 is to not give a poo poo about most missable things. It's not a particularly hard game anyways.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If you're really going for a 100% run of Final Fantasy IX you'll probably be using a guide for all the synthesis stuff. No idea why somebody would want to 100% that game anyway.

On a normal run don't sell your equipment and you're fine throughout the game regarding synthesis stuff.

Additionally you should steal from all the bosses cause they have good poo poo and always play hot and cold chocobo when you can.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Buy three of every dagger, three of every hat and armlet, and two of every piece of armor you can get. Don't sell any accessories. Most weapons are safe to sell except a Javelin and rackets.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If I don't like NWN2 within the first few hours of gameplay, does it eventually get better?
Everything seems really twee and the voice acting is so loving bad it's ridiculous.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

unlimited shrimp posted:

If I don't like NWN2 within the first few hours of gameplay, does it eventually get better?
Everything seems really twee and the voice acting is so loving bad it's ridiculous.

the first chapter of nwn2 is a real slog, the later parts of the games are alright, and the stronghold is nifty. the first expansion is really good though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

The first third of the game is bland and workmanlike, the second is really fun and engaging, the last obviously unfinished and profoundly unsatisfying

The expansion has a great setting, story and characters but the combat is tedious and something to be cheesed through and ignored as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

If you're really going for a 100% run of Final Fantasy IX you'll probably be using a guide for all the synthesis stuff. No idea why somebody would want to 100% that game anyway.

On a normal run don't sell your equipment and you're fine throughout the game regarding synthesis stuff.

Additionally you should steal from all the bosses cause they have good poo poo and always play hot and cold chocobo when you can.
Oh, I don't plan to 100% it. For one thing, there's no way in hell I'm going to make it through in under 12 hours to get Excalibur II. I'd just like to get as much out of it as I can, and if the game's going to try to blindside me with anything I want to be somewhat prepared.