Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

bobkatt013 posted:

I am just saying that the current storyline is pretty good and the inhuman part of her story is important to it. I was responding to your post about how a story that relies on her inhuman ties has not been written yet.

I think I was thinking more along the lines of some great, character defining story using her Inhuman heritage as opposed to a pretty good arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

I hesitate to call it great. Good, definitely. I like the story but the players do nothing for me. The only new character (aside from Kamala who only half-counts cause she's kicking rear end in other books) who isn't totally forgettable is Frank the Cop. And I loved the woman with the big ears, though I don't know if she was new. I was mad when she was killed so I guess that's a hallmark of a good character? Black Bolt and Medusa actively bore me, too.

What about Reader? He's been a great new character, too.

Plus it had Karnak come back to life by finding a flaw in the afterlife, and then bursting out of the villain's head.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm really going to miss Storm's current costume. It was probably the best-looking "redesign" of a classic character since...I dunno, ages. All these new X-costumes are just...kinda janky and weird.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Codependent Poster posted:

What about Reader? He's been a great new character, too.

Yes. I forgot about Reader. I can see his premise getting a bit old, maybe? But so far I like him, too.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm really going to miss Storm's current costume. It was probably the best-looking "redesign" of a classic character since...I dunno, ages. All these new X-costumes are just...kinda janky and weird.

I kind of dig the Nightcrawler costume - weird, but awesome. Illyana is ... not too different from what we've had, but I'll genuinely miss her having bangs, and I'm glad she gets real pants. Nobody else is really standing out to me. This Storm update definitely fits the bill of 'janky and weird' as you say. It's disappointing.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The important question that no one is asking: which team is Goldballs on?

edit: Also, can Maggot come back yet?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

edit: Also, can Maggot come back yet?

No, because we're not allowed nice things. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No students (except the All New team) are on any of the teams so far.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I kind of dig the Nightcrawler costume - weird, but awesome. Illyana is ... not too different from what we've had, but I'll genuinely miss her having bangs, and I'm glad she gets real pants. Nobody else is really standing out to me. This Storm update definitely fits the bill of 'janky and weird' as you say. It's disappointing.

I really miss Illyana's bangs too :(. Hopefully that's just a cover thing, but I doubt it. Although bangless Illyana is still better than the plastic armor thing from All-New X-Men.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

No students (except the All New team) are on any of the teams so far.

This just made me realize, I think the X-Men may be the only team(s) to have actively gotten less diverse in this relaunch. :psyduck:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Since there's no books with Scott or Emma, and there are other upcoming books that weren't announced in the giant batch of announcements (Black Panther, there are no books with Black Widow, etc), I think there might be 1 more X-Men book, but it would be weird to show off all the X-Men books but that one, and Scott, Emma, the Cuckoos and the new students were all core Uncanny members so it would also be weird to have all the Uncanny characters jump boat to a new book.

I'm thinking/hoping Marvel just made a really weird choice to jump them all to some other X-Men book like adjectiveless X-Men and are delaying the announcement until the next batch of announcements for more weird/dumb reasons :ohdear:.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 1, 2015

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Am I the only one that noticed that colossus has a beard/goatee and seems to be wearing clothes that I'd say are 1602-ish? Or am I crazy?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Elucidarius posted:

Am I the only one that noticed that colossus has a beard/goatee and seems to be wearing clothes that I'd say are 1602-ish? Or am I crazy?

He does appear to have a metal beard going, yeah. You might be right!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

He does appear to have a metal beard going, yeah. You might be right!

Is it this one?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

DrProsek posted:

Since there's no books with Scott or Emma, and there are other upcoming books that weren't announced in the giant batch of announcements (Black Panther, there are no books with Black Widow, etc), I think there might be 1 more X-Men book, but it would be weird to show off all the X-Men books but that one, and Scott, Emma, the Cuckoos and the new students were all core Uncanny members so it would also be weird to have all the Uncanny characters jump boat to a new book.

According to Lemire, Scott and other notable X-Men are missing in action after some mutant-Inhuman incident that's taken place during the timeskip. His book is the one dealing with it.

That said, it did seem like the last issue of Uncanny was setting up the Cuckoos and students breaking away and doing something as a team together, but not under an X-Men flag.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Seemlar posted:

That said, it did seem like the last issue of Uncanny was setting up the Cuckoos and students breaking away and doing something as a team together, but not under an X-Men flag.

I haven't read it yet (too many drat side books that look cool), but there's a Runaways Secret Wars book, and that'd be a good title for a book about The Cuckoos plus Goldballs et al wrecking havoc, maybe trying to find Emma and Modern Scott.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Any recommendations for a run with some good Illyana stories? I've gone back and read her origins, but I don't like the 1980s 'characters narrate to themselves all the time' style of storytelling, so I'm hoping to read some of her more modern stuff.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Tyma posted:

Any recommendations for a run with some good Illyana stories? I've gone back and read her origins, but I don't like the 1980s 'characters narrate to themselves all the time' style of storytelling, so I'm hoping to read some of her more modern stuff.
For modern stories that are good, there aren't a lot:

Zeb Wells' New Mutants Run
Gillen's Uncanny X-Men (the relaunch/extinction team)
Gillen's AvX Consequences

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
She's in Uncanny X-men, the most recent run, but is little more than a Taxi. She does have some great interactions with Kitty once she joins the team, and I like her taking over the All New Xmen teaching job from her.

I love during the New Mutants part of Asgardian Wars, Illyana after being freed from Enchantress, she decides "I need my own Asgardian outfit, I know, sexy jailbait Loki".

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Continuing my read-through of all things X, and good god is the beginning of X-Factor poorly thought out. Plenty has been said about the lovely Cyclops arc where he abandons his wife and newborn child and neglects to tell Jean about it for 10 issues, but there's many more problems.

The idea of a pro-mutant group hiding as staunch anti-mutant hunters is dumb enough, due to the fear it breeds (which I guess the comic kind of goes into), but they don't even a) tell the other X-Men about their plan or b) TELL THEM JEAN IS ALIVE? Jean doesn't even ask about her old friends on the X-Men? Never asks to see them? Never asks to see Professor X? Like, seriously, wtf?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If memory serves, Magneto was running the X-Men at that point, and the original five wanted nothing to do with that at all. It was kind of dickish of them, true, but you can kind of see where they're coming from.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It tells her/you right at the start that Charles is gone and the X-Men are working with Magneto, which is a completely unfathomable, alien concept to her to the point she is convinced they can have nothing to do with the Weschester crew.

For their part, the X-Men are deeply suspicious over the dumb cover story, plus they're so scattered and have their hands full dealing with poo poo all over the place that they don't even realise Jean's alive until after Apocalypse attacks New York. Apart from Logan, who discovers it during the massacre and just thinks he's going out of mind and refuses to talk about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sentinel Red posted:

For their part, the X-Men are deeply suspicious over the dumb cover story, plus they're so scattered and have their hands full dealing with poo poo all over the place that they don't even realise Jean's alive until after Apocalypse attacks New York. Apart from Logan, who discovers it during the massacre and just thinks he's going out of mind and refuses to talk about it.

All of that is Claremont, though. Claremont seeing through bad writing and fixing it on his side, so there would be some consistency. He still had the touch at the time.

Most of the original X-Factor's plotting was pretty bad, no joke, the start being the worst.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

All of that is Claremont, though. Claremont seeing through bad writing and fixing it on his side, so there would be some consistency. He still had the touch at the time.

Most of the original X-Factor's plotting was pretty bad, no joke, the start being the worst.
Yeah. When Jean came back in Fantastic Four/Avengers they tell her Magneto is running the school and the X-Men are basically evil. Remember that due to the retcon - Jean would have actually spent very little time with any of them (only from Giant Size to the issue with the space ship). Iceman/Angel/Beast never liked the new X-men much (especially Angel). Cyclops is the only one who actually knows them, and he is kind of losing his goddamn mind. Other than Cyclops, they all know the fantastic four/avengers better and trust them more, so they pretty much take their words for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the origonal concept of X-factor was overly convoluted and rather silly. Plus it was obvious to anyone with half a brain this would actually make it harder for mutants. From what Rachael and Miles say, once Louise Simonson gets on the book, it becomes very, very good.

I doubt Scott ever told Jean about Rachael either.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I doubt Scott ever told Jean about Rachael either.

Pretty sure at this point he doesn't know about her either. All the other X-Men know but they never told Scott. A similar thing happened with Corsair. No one tells Scott anything.

It's just clear to me they started with the concept first (the 5 original X-Men together) and then worked backwards with the worst justification ever. I'm interested in getting to the Apocalypse stuff, because I've never seen that character's origin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brocktoon posted:

Pretty sure at this point he doesn't know about her either. All the other X-Men know but they never told Scott. A similar thing happened with Corsair. No one tells Scott anything.

It's just clear to me they started with the concept first (the 5 original X-Men together) and then worked backwards with the worst justification ever. I'm interested in getting to the Apocalypse stuff, because I've never seen that character's origin.

From what I got from X-men, is that Scott knows Rachael is his daughter from an alternative timeline, but him being Scott Summers, has no ability to talk about it with her. Not that he's around that much, I mean, he's off with Maddy for most of Rachael's appearance then with X-factor.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

From what I got from X-men, is that Scott knows Rachael is his daughter from an alternative timeline, but him being Scott Summers, has no ability to talk about it with her. Not that he's around that much, I mean, he's off with Maddy for most of Rachael's appearance then with X-factor.

I'm on the Mutant Massacre right now, and I'm pretty sure I *just* read an issue of Uncanny recently where someone said to Rachel "you really need to let Scott know who you are" or something.

Edit: Can't find any info on when Scott finds out about Rachel, I'll have to double check the issues I read recently when I get home.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 9, 2015

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

You mentioned Rachel and Miles, I only remember this cuz they talked about it recently. It's implied that Scott knows at the end of the Asgardian crossover, but doesn't want to make Rachel talk about it if she doesn't want to. Next time we see them interact it's "I can't tell him, etc" and when Scott is told he is totally shocked.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If someone turned up saying they were your daughter from a hellscape timeline parallel dimension where your dead sweetheart never died but married you instead before everyone was wiped out by speciesist robots, staying well the gently caress back is as valid and normal a response as any.

Looking back, I love how bargain basement Apocalypse is at first. Like, he's mad powerful and full of his Nietzsche shtick yet slumming it in Fucksville, USA with the lamest bunch of no-marks ever seen, then pootles off for a bit, collects a bunch of lames and turns them into terrifying agents of destruction and starts wiping out New York like it's the easiest poo poo in the world.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I always laugh remembering that Apocalypse's first appearance was him filling in for the loving Owl of all people.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

Edit: Can't find any info on when Scott finds out about Rachel, I'll have to double check the issues I read recently when I get home.

Scott finds out the same time as Jean does, in the Days of Future Present arc.

Cyclops in early X-Factor is great because he's going through a complete mental breakdown that he doesn't fully get over until he blasts the poo poo out of Mr. Sinister in Inferno.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Brocktoon posted:

I'm interested in getting to the Apocalypse stuff, because I've never seen that character's origin.

You don't get too much origin for Apocalypse in X-Factor, just motivations. His origin is told in the Rise of Apocalypse miniseries, which was pretty good for a late 90s comic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr. Maltose posted:

I always laugh remembering that Apocalypse's first appearance was him filling in for the loving Owl of all people.

And on Earth- 1305 this X-Factor series was used to spring board Owl as a Mega A-List villain.
In the 90's there was the Age of Owl mega crossover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Looking back, I love how bargain basement Apocalypse is at first. Like, he's mad powerful and full of his Nietzsche shtick yet slumming it in Fucksville, USA with the lamest bunch of no-marks ever seen, then pootles off for a bit, collects a bunch of lames and turns them into terrifying agents of destruction and starts wiping out New York like it's the easiest poo poo in the world.

It's a proud X-Men tradition, going back to the days when Xavier would go, "To me, my X-Men! Cerebro has detected a mutant who will surely be our most deadly challenge yet!" then it turned out to be Blob or the Vanisher or Unus the Untouchable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My favorite part of Unus is how every alternate world X-men story includes him.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a proud X-Men tradition, going back to the days when Xavier would go, "To me, my X-Men! Cerebro has detected a mutant who will surely be our most deadly challenge yet!" then it turned out to be Blob or the Vanisher or Unus the Untouchable.
The Vanisher one is so crazy, because he is such a badass that the original X-Men can't do anything to him. Professor X has to come out to stop him in the original story. And now he is just a joke. The original X-Men were not good at their jobs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

On Genosha, Elixir reveals he removed the tumor in the future and that the Vanisher is actually suffering from stage 4 Syphilis.

ell oh ell

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Vanisher on Wolverine's X-force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Fritzler posted:

The Vanisher one is so crazy, because he is such a badass that the original X-Men can't do anything to him. Professor X has to come out to stop him in the original story. And now he is just a joke. The original X-Men were not good at their jobs.

Awww, they were kids! In gentler times!

• Locked thread