Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mister Macys posted:

Oh well. Anyone know where I can find Monster Feathers? I want to build a set of Griffin Armor.

And where can I find Red Mutagens?

Find a harpy nest, do the nest looting glitch, have over 100 harpy eggs. They dismantle into a monster feather and a monster egg.

Seriously the nest glitch saved me so much time hunting down some of those alchemy items.

Edit: if you want, this is also a way to get rich super quick because drowner nests always have a seashell of some sort. Those dismantle into pearls.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Snak posted:

I am playing on ps4 with a ds4. It seems completely random who will be soft targeted. I recently countered an attack and then when I tried to counter-attack lunched towards the guy farthest away from me.

I just got punched through an invisible wall( the same one as always) and had to restart. It's been 3.5 hours of this poo poo now, and I just want to beat something to a pulp.

edit: ps4 crashed again. This is the only game to crash my ps4. It's done it like 5 times now. I'm not really mad, I'm hoping this will mean that the weird freezes will stop. I'm not mad about the crashes in general because some combination of the the Witcher 3 and ps4's save system have always brought me right back to where I left off.

edit: are you loving serious with this poo poo? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xx-g9UoeEU

The soft lock is a pain in the butt so we all feel you. I think the best way to deal with it is flicking the movement stick towards the enemy you want to attack. That generally got me slicing in the right direction.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think the only thing I needed that bug for was drowner's brains. I wonder how long will it take CDP to patch it..

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just got hit with the 'crashing when traveling back from Skellige to Velen" bug :( Good that I only went there to do one quest and it wasn't after doing hours of stuff on the islands so I can just reload an earlier save. Oh well, I guess I'll postpone everything in Skellige for later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Levantine posted:

Yes, but she also cuts the puns short showing she has only a limited sense of humor. -1 points for Yen.

Also, (Triss ending spoilers)Triss lets you live in a house that always smells like cake and you become a kept man that only takes on contracts when you feel the urge. Geralt of Rivia, the Butcher of Blaviken, Giant Killer, and Killer of Kings may be the first witcher to die in his bed. Triss rules.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also, (Triss ending spoilers)Triss lets you live in a house that always smells like cake and you become a kept man that only takes on contracts when you feel the urge. Geralt of Rivia, the Butcher of Blaviken, Giant Killer, and Killer of Kings may be the first witcher to die in his bed. Triss rules.

It's the same for both of them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But missing one important thing. Cakes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

exquisite tea posted:

There is officially too much stuff to do in this game. I'm 15 hours deep and have barely cleared out even half the question marks in Velen.

So far I liked that missing wife sidequest the best. Things get devilishly hosed up if you don't take the sister's bribe and keep pressing the investigation.

This is important: If you're ever talking to someone part of a quest and there is a "I don't believe you"/"Your story doesn't make sense" or some other option where Geralt smells trouble, always take it. It happens several times in this game and you only found one instance of it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

exquisite tea posted:

There is officially too much stuff to do in this game. I'm 15 hours deep and have barely cleared out even half the question marks in Velen.

So far I liked that missing wife sidequest the best. Things get devilishly hosed up if you don't take the sister's bribe and keep pressing the investigation.

Yeah, but even better, you can take the bribe and then immediately turn around and continue the investigation, make an extra bit of coin, and the only person who can judge you for it is already a terrible person, sooo....

Also maybe I just rushed ahead too quickly in the story on my first playthrough or my skills have improved since then, because I'm doing a Death March playthrough and I'm finding it easier in parts. The botchling fight still absolutely sucks, but the gargoyle in Keira's quest and the werewolf in one of the contracts both took forever on my first playthrough, and I was just cleaving through them like a hot knife through butter this time. Assuming you're willing to be patient and cautious and constantly cast Quen, it's not too bad outside of certain tricky segments.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I've tried Googling but no luck, will GOG patches corrupt saves from earlier versions? If I want to update would I have to start again?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Keira > Yennifer/Triss

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Keira > Yennifer/Triss

I liked Keira a lot but I ended up gutting her over Geralt thinking she'll be forced to make a bioweapon, sorry Keira!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've tried Googling but no luck, will GOG patches corrupt saves from earlier versions? If I want to update would I have to start again?

Why would a patch ever corrupt an old save? I have the stream version which updates automatically, and all my saves work. If that was a problem you would be hearing about it, and it would be the first result on Google.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shoehead posted:

I liked Keira a lot but I ended up gutting her over Geralt thinking she'll be forced to make a bioweapon, sorry Keira!
It's funny how that pretty long quest line can end in completely different ways depending on which conversation option your intuition tells you to click during that last dialogue with her.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The end of the black pearl quest legit bummed me out, and I don't think it's possible to get a happy ending.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

radiatinglines posted:

The end of the black pearl quest legit bummed me out, and I don't think it's possible to get a happy ending.

Yeah, that quest ended up being one of the biggest :smith: moments in the game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Yeah, that quest ended up being one of the biggest :smith: moments in the game.

This isn't even a quest but, there was a pretty big bummer of scene I found in White Orchard or Valen just running around. There's a small boat on the beach surrounded by some bandits when you kill the bandits there's a kid's body there along with another person in the boat. There's a note nearby which basically says the kids parents sent the kid to go live with a relative and sent along a sack of gold to pay for the guide. The note ends with "and make sure to leave a candle on for him at night because he's afraid of the dark. :smith:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The night is dark and full of terrors.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Interview about the expansions:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329274/Witcher+3+expansions+%22almost+size+of+Witcher+2%22/

quote:

"The expansion packs will be whole new storylines with all the elements you've got in the main story (like cutscenes, new characters, new items, new Gwent cards) and many, many more. They will be quite long. The first expansion will be around 10 hours and the second expansion will be around 20 hours... and I think it's possible that they will be bigger, because it's always like this (that when we plan some time or hours, it's twice or something like this), but I'm not promising anything right now. And even now, if you sum up this 10 to 20 hours and you compare it to The Witcher 2, it's almost the size of The Witcher 2. And it will be cool, it will be new stories, it will be very emotional stories and I think that people will be happy."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Free expansions that are literally the size of the previous game in the series?

God CD:PR owns

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think those are free.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ice Fist posted:

Free expansions that are literally the size of the previous game in the series?

God CD:PR owns

They aren't free, these are the ones you get for 25 bux Season Pass.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I assume they'll be integrated into the main game rather than something you select on a menu.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Are the expansions endgame or are they going to be integrated into the game so you have to replay it or something?

Nitrousoxide posted:

This isn't even a quest but, there was a pretty big bummer of scene I found in White Orchard or Valen just running around. There's a small boat on the beach surrounded by some bandits when you kill the bandits there's a kid's body there along with another person in the boat. There's a note nearby which basically says the kids parents sent the kid to go live with a relative and sent along a sack of gold to pay for the guide. The note ends with "and make sure to leave a candle on for him at night because he's afraid of the dark. :smith:

Somewhere in Velen, you find a town scared about someone called "little Red" or something that's gonna come and wreck their poo poo. They'll claim she's a warewolf. If you decide to help them, she tells you what really happened - one of the villagers sold them all out and told her gang who had the best poo poo to steal. He's been taking a cut for a while but got greedy and wanted more. When she said no, he ratted her out to the witch hunters. If you let her do as she wants, she keeps her promise and only takes the rear end in a top hat and presumably kills him. If you say "no", she turns into a warewolf and you have to kill her.

On her, you find a :smith: note on her from her mother pleading with her to never return and try to make a good life for herself. Her parents were also warewolves and the "family secret" was found out and they've been killed.

It's another case in this game where no option is great, but I probably chose the worse of the two now that I think about it.

radiatinglines posted:

I was expecting to get another quest where I have to lift a curse or get a mage to undo her Alzheimers.

I have a grandmother who died of Alzheimers... :smith:

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 9, 2015

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I always thought people were overdoing it with calling it 'peasant misery simulator' until I stumbled upon a quest where a woman's boyfriend was eaten by wild dogs, then another quest where Nilfgaard executed a bunch of people, and yet another where a missing son was executed for deserting. gently caress you Witcher 3 don't make me feel sorry for digital people

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They aren't free, these are the ones you get for 25 bux Season Pass.

Ah my mistake. So an expansion the size of Witcher 2 for $25. CDPR still owns.

Swedish Horror posted:

I always thought people were overdoing it with calling it 'peasant misery simulator' until I stumbled upon a quest where a woman's boyfriend was eaten by wild dogs, then another quest where Nilfgaard executed a bunch of people, and yet another where a missing son was executed for deserting. gently caress you Witcher 3 don't make me feel sorry for digital people

I didn't have the heart to tell the old lady what happened to her son.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JetsGuy posted:

Somewhere in Velen, you find a town scared about someone called "little Red" or something that's gonna come and wreck their poo poo. They'll claim she's a warewolf. If you decide to help them, she tells you what really happened - one of the villagers sold them all out and told her gang who had the best poo poo to steal. He's been taking a cut for a while but got greedy and wanted more. When she said no, he ratted her out to the witch hunters. If you let her do as she wants, she keeps her promise and only takes the rear end in a top hat and presumably kills him. If you say "no", she turns into a warewolf and you have to kill her.

On her, you find a :smith: note on her from her mother pleading with her to never return and try to make a good life for herself. Her parents were also warewolves and the "family secret" was found out and they've been killed.

It's another case in this game where no option is great, but I probably chose the worse of the two now that I think about it.

The way I justified that is however much the snitch might have deserved it, the werewolf was still a bandit. She might take one man now, but she's going to go out robbing and murdering indiscriminately later.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Swedish Horror posted:

There's one I did last night where you run into a Skellige woman who's fiancee disappeared. She claimed a horrible beast took him away and the whole town is laughing at her thinking he just ran off with some other woman. Of course you find out she was right he was taken and torn to shreds by a Ekhidna. The brother in law who hired you asks you to tell her. So you have to swim out to the cliffs she's standing on to tell her her fiancee was torn to bits. Fun times.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 9, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

1stGear posted:

The way I justified that is however much the snitch might have deserved it, the werewolf was still a bandit. She might take one man now, but she's going to go out robbing and murdering indiscriminately later.
Not my problem, gently caress 'em.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

1stGear posted:

That's how I justified it when I said no to her. She was still a bandit that was killing people and taking their poo poo. That note was just :smith: .

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 9, 2015

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah, i just resented that i didn't have the option to run that snitch guy through right after i fought the bandits. He's still guilty, and he lied to me! That's the worst crime of all!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
As Geralt I have made so many personal, arbitrary and immoral (not to mention illegal) decisions to suit my wants or those of my friends that I don't really stress about bending the letter of the law. If I wanted to follow the law I'd have been hanged a thousand times over by now, so why not just do what needs to be done, and when there is the luxury of choice do what feels right? And after that, do what is fun, i.e. kill folks

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I made the decision to skip Dandelions "quest" when it became available, because he's an annoying twat, but then I read a comment it takes a dark turn. I sure didn't expect this. :catstare:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

exquisite tea posted:

Take the time to explore now and appreciate the relaxed exploration.

Once you go past act 1, the story picks up in terms of urgency and it feels weird to go off and do a contract when you have urgent business to attend to.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

alex314 posted:

That's what you get for doing a sign build - everything melts to alt igni, then you meet rear end in a top hat like Imlerith who can only get a bit defrosted by it. He's annoying because he's a massive damage sponge, but except that his attack patterns are predictable. After learning that I only got hit when I were overzealous with hit after he smashes his mace thingy in the ground.

I did invest a lot in signs, but I also put about ten points into the sword play talents for quick strike and adrenaline point managements. Also picked up the perk which lets you spend adrenaline points on signs. That came in handy in the final part of the fight.

I actually really enjoyed the boss. When he starts teleporting behind you constantly is when I kept dying. Got it on the 3rd try when I realized he would get tired after the big over head swing. Gave me enough time to refresh quen, and hit him with a combo. Once I got that down, it was pretty straight forward. Still kind of nervy as he can kill you pretty quick with a few combo hits.

Best boss fight so far!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

There's one I did last night where you run into a Skellige woman who's fiancee disappeared. She claimed a horrible beast took him away and the whole town is laughing at her thinking he just ran off with some other woman. Of course you find out she was right he was taken and torn to shreds by a Ekhidna. The brother in law who hired you asks you to tell her. So you have to swim out to the cliffs she's standing on to tell her her fiancee was torn to bits. Fun times.

Swim? Why not just ride Roach over there and tell her? Takes like 10 seconds. I used Roach like a taxi through nearly all of the game. In fact I loved killing low level monsters/wolves as I rode by in one swipe. Once there was a guy getting attacked by a warg and I just killed it as I was riding by. Sure the other wolves probably got him, but his friendly neighborhood witcher just bought him a few more precious moments of life while he was on his way to sell table knives and fishing poles to the local vendor.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Swim? Why not just ride Roach over there and tell her? Takes like 10 seconds. I used Roach like a taxi through nearly all of the game. In fact I loved killing low level monsters/wolves as I rode by in one swipe. Once there was a guy getting attacked by a warg and I just killed it as I was riding by. Sure the other wolves probably got him, but his friendly neighborhood witcher just bought him a few more precious moments of life while he was on his way to sell table knives and fishing poles to the local vendor.

I'm picturing the charge of the rohirrim in slow motion and with orchestral music, storming forward to demolish a half-dozen orcs before riding away triumphant into the distance, leaving the vast majority of the orc army intact. As they dip over the horizon a faint "you're welcome" comes piping back on the breeze before everybody at gondor gets put to the sword and eaten

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

JetsGuy posted:

I did that quest backwards exploring the cave system I found the body and the Ekhidna, then found the fella in the village and he decided to tell her himself, yaaay

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeC posted:

Once you go past act 1, the story picks up in terms of urgency and it feels weird to go off and do a contract when you have urgent business to attend to.
I felt this way the whole game, though :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, witcher's gotta witcher. Ciri will still be missing when I'm done searching for this leshen in the forest.