Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dolash posted:

That quote from Bush about people having to work longer hours was a little ambiguous, even in the same article he had someone clarifying right after that he meant people should get full-time employment instead of just part-time. How he's supposed to accomplish that remains ambiguous, of course.

Yeah I can definitely understand what he was trying to say, but what is this like, the third time he's meant one thing and it's come out as something else like how he would totally go into Iraq and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bicyclops posted:

"The police were actually just stopping by to compliment me on my taste in music, and not to ask me to quiet it down because of complaints from the neighbors. Sorry that party was such a smashing success, haters."

That is a disturbingly believable Trump tweet. Only it being over 140 characters gives it away.

I just realized that the GOP bigwigs are in a bit of a Catch 22 now. If they blast him publicly they are making him look like the outsider just saying what needs to be said but if they don't distance themselves from him he becomes the face of the party in a way.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I can definitely understand what he was trying to say, but what is this like, the third time he's meant one thing and it's come out as something else like how he would totally go into Iraq and such?

Don't make excuses about what he 'meant' - his comment fits right in with Gov. Walker's agenda of getting rid of the 'one day off per week' law.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Jeb Bush wants to clarify what he meant

quote:

"If we’re going to grow the economy people need to stop being part-time workers, they need to be having access to greater opportunities to work," he told reporters

He faulted the Obama administration and congressional Democrats for enacting a series of policies that have made it harder for businesses to create jobs and for Americans to work longer hours.

"You can take it out of context all you want, but high-sustained growth means that people work 40 hours rather than 30 hours and that by our success, they have money, disposable income for their families to decide how they want to spend it rather than getting in line and being dependent on government," Bush said.

So, to recap: Obama is hurting workers by forcing businesses to cut hours to avoid paying health insurance, and also no one who works 40 hours a week has to get assistance from the government.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People remember the Bush economy, and Jeb is a non-starter. Walker will win the primary overwhelmingly too.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fried Chicken posted:

Trump is pissing off some important donors and backers. The message was to them, "don't back off, we have this situation well in hand". Make the call, leak it to the press, they learn of it, they don't abandon you.

Except Priebus doesn't exactly come across as 'having the Trump situation well in hand' after that last Twitter volley from The Donald.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nonsense posted:

People remember the Bush economy, and Jeb is a non-starter. Walker will win the primary overwhelmingly too.

Walker is an amateur, if he wins he will be destroyed in the general.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He's not wrong per se, but the usual (Republican) implication of using U6 instead of U3 is that this is some sort of new phenomenon and the government is trying to hide something and that unemployment is at some sort of historic highs. They're trying to contrast today's 10.5% U6 with the good old days of 5% U3 when U6 was in the same 10% range back then.

The definition of reported unemployment (U3) hasn't changed, and it is perfectly valid to say that this figure has dropped from 10% at the height of the recession to 5.3% today. Just as it's perfectly valid to say that U6 has dropped from about 17% at the height of the depression to 10.5% today. The unemployment rate has improved significantly any way you look at it, and U6 is not at particularly high historical levels.

Neither number is more correct than the other, they measure different things. The most important thing is to be consistent about which one you're referencing if you want to have an honest discussion.

It's valid to compare the two when you're talking about how we measure unemployment, which is the only context I've ever heard Sanders do that in. He's not making a comment on the change in unemployment or trying to say that there isn't some economic recovery going on (the typical right-wing narrative you're referencing), he's pointing out that the U3 is simply a disingenuous measure of unemployment - that if you are actually concerned about how well our economic system works for people at the bottom margins, you should look at U6.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Walker is an amateur, if he wins he will be destroyed in the general.

I know and I love it because there is literally no alternative for Gippers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Trump is pissing off some important donors and backers. The message was to them, "don't back off, we have this situation well in hand". Make the call, leak it to the press, they learn of it, they don't abandon you.

Sure, I can see that, but Trump isn't a normal candidate. Seems like the risk/reward isn't there. Situation with donors must've been pretty bad.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 9, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nonsense posted:

I know and I love it because there is literally no alternative.

I think he'll crumple like cheap paper when the RNC decides he's no match for God-Empress Hillary.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't get over how Trump being so offensive to Hispanics is only perceived as a problem by the GOP because it annoys their donors and costs them support, not because they disagree with anything he has to say or that his ideas aren't an ideological fit with the Republican party. That his fellow candidates have been so half-hearted in their condemnations (while some haven't condemned him at all) speaks volumes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Roydrowsy posted:

I mean, lets be realistic. Things are already a mess.
With the HUGE number of people running for the Republican nomination suggests that the Party has really lost its mind and its focus. They have thrown SOOOO many people into the ring because they honestly have no clue what the people are looking for. It shows a weakness of their position. Its not that they have "so many quality people" but "no clue what a quality candidate means."

Their biggest issue is that they have absolutely no quality candidates. None. All of their choices are awful but they can't put up a center right person that has a chance to actually get elected because the crazies running the circus won't allow it. They made a monkey paw wish for short term gains, got the Tea Party out of it, and now they're paying for it. More important their "ideology first, who cares what actually works?" policy has been shown repeatedly in the last few decades just flat out not work. You're really seeing it in cases where Tea Party wingnuts actually got power and are also seeing it in the Do Nothing Congress we have. People handed them power, they did stupid poo poo with it, and now they're trying to pass the blame.

But they're doing the same thing. The only thing they really know is "well we obviously didn't go far enough to the right!" but they can't get much further to the right without becoming literal Nazis.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dolash posted:

I can't get over how Trump being so offensive to Hispanics is only perceived as a problem by the GOP because it annoys their donors and costs them support, not because they disagree with anything he has to say or that his ideas aren't an ideological fit with the Republican party. That his fellow candidates have been so half-hearted in their condemnations (while some haven't condemned him at all) speaks volumes.

It's almost like Republicans hate the majority of the country.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Their biggest issue is that they have absolutely no quality candidates. None. All of their choices are awful but they can't put up a center right person that has a chance to actually get elected because the crazies running the circus won't allow it. They made a monkey paw wish for short term gains, got the Tea Party out of it, and now they're paying for it. More important their "ideology first, who cares what actually works?" policy has been shown repeatedly in the last few decades just flat out not work. You're really seeing it in cases where Tea Party wingnuts actually got power and are also seeing it in the Do Nothing Congress we have. People handed them power, they did stupid poo poo with it, and now they're trying to pass the blame.

But they're doing the same thing. The only thing they really know is "well we obviously didn't go far enough to the right!" but they can't get much further to the right without becoming literal Nazis.

I think it's really telling that Mitt loving Romney would have been, by far, the best candidate they could come up with.

They are loving bankrupt. Which I suppose, makes them perfect for Trump.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

richardfun posted:

Except Priebus doesn't exactly come across as 'having the Trump situation well in hand' after that last Twitter volley from The Donald.

You can't control Trump, he's a physical representation of the ideological purity of the Tea Party nuts that they unleashed a few years ago. He's the GOP id.

I guess the only negative from him running will be making the other candidates look less insane, assuming he lasts another month. If he doesn't make it into the first debate, I don't see him sticking around unless he comes up with some luxurious classy alternative (which would be awesome).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think he'll crumple like cheap paper when the RNC decides he's no match for God-Empress Hillary.

Yeah but how much of his campaign funding comes from the RNC as opposed to SuperPAC-laundered advances off his Koch Kard?

About the only positive thing I can say about the Shitizens decision is basically that it allows crazed billionaires to ramrod nationally unelectable idiots through the primary over RNC objections. Walker's a loving deer in the headlights of the general. Between the spiteful interests of the average conservative animal and the avalanche of outside-the-RNC money, he's keeping fairly strong numbers as a compromise candidate because the laity are interpreting an incompetent WI Dem party as some kind of preternatural quality of Walker. The money outside the party knows he's on remote control so they're happy to invest since they believe (not without at least a little justification) that they can just thumb the scale enough to win. Mickey is being drowned by the brooms and it's glorious.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 9, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

You can't control Trump, he's a physical representation of the ideological purity of the Tea Party nuts that they unleashed a few years ago. He's the GOP id.

I guess the only negative from him running will be making the other candidates look less insane, assuming he lasts another month. If he doesn't make it into the first debate, I don't see him sticking around unless he comes up with some luxurious classy alternative (which would be awesome).

I know. I'm just wondering what possessed Priebus to try to talk Trump down in the first place. If he thought he had a chance in hell of succeeding, he must've been even more drunk than he usually seems.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 9, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dolash posted:

The donors want immigration reform quite badly, Trump is energizing the part of the base that has sunk it again and again. The problem is that when Trump goes away, that part stays angry and active and prevents the laws they want, just like under Bush

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dolash posted:

The dilemma that the candidates are faced with is that if you throw the first punch against Trump it better be a knockout. If you attack him and don't finish the job he is going to mercilessly attack you on the trail, in the media, and most importantly in the debate.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah but how much of his campaign funding comes from the RNC as opposed to SuperPAC-laundered advances off his Koch Kard?

Eh, it's a matter of them deciding who's the most electable and then rallying the troops to their cause, see McCain, Romney.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

richardfun posted:

I know. I'm just wondering what possessed Priebus to try to talk Trump down in the first place. If he thought he had a chance of hell of succeeding, he must've been even more drunk than he usually seems.

It's not just "dude shut up" it's that there is pushback from the establishment, which signals that the establishments goals are opposed to Trumps. The message being sent is that "Trump is attacking immigration, we are pro immigration"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

It's not just "dude shut up" it's that there is pushback from the establishment, which signals that the establishments goals are opposed to Trumps. The message being sent is that "Trump is attacking immigration, we are pro immigration"

The Establishment goals are to "pretend to care about hispanics when it's windowdressing, but we won't support immigration reform"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The new immigration reform that can win GOP voters back is to oppose legal immigration and it's working. Since the average Republican cannot be convinced that the Republican contenders hate Mexicans enough besides Trump, the goal now will be to prevent more foreigners who are smart from coming in. Because they likely will gain true citizenship someday and South/EastAsians vote Democrat.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Aaah, what you're saying is Reince never expected to get anywhere with Trump. That makes more sense.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

If the Kochs want to spend the $1 billion it takes to run a campaign by themselves, that's great - it knocks out 10-15% of their holdings and reduces their future income flow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Anime Curator posted:

I can see his name being brought up for the Hillary VP nod most definitely.

Castro/Castro

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

The new immigration reform that can win GOP voters back is to oppose legal immigration and it's working. Since the average Republican cannot be convinced that the Republican contenders hate Mexicans enough besides Trump, the goal now will be to prevent more foreigners who are smart from coming in. Because they likely will gain true citizenship someday and South/EastAsians vote Democrat.

Asians in general (South, East, whatever) are about 5% of the population, about half of that for the electorate, and are overwhelmingly situated in deep deep blue districts and urban areas. It's quite likely that conservatives don't even remember they exist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Asians in general (South, East, whatever) are about 5% of the population, about half of that for the electorate, and are overwhelmingly situated in deep deep blue districts and urban areas. It's quite likely that conservatives don't even remember they exist.

Eastern Europeans have been positive marks for the GOP though, so not every Republican is on board the HATE LEGAL IMMIGRANTS train.

VV Let us pray, my son that he sees his path clearly.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 9, 2015

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

When Trumps primary campaign implodes , would it be too much to hope he doubles down and runs an independent "T" party ticket in the general, causing a hilarious schism among the Republicans?

I realize there's basically no chance he'll have the resources after blowing the primary, but I feel like it'd be well within his personality to do so, especially if he decides the establishment is to blame for his primary failure and therefore a target for his legendary powers of spite.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Establishment goals are to "pretend to care about hispanics when it's windowdressing, but we won't support immigration reform"

Which is why they pushed it under Bush and passed it in the Senate in '13, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's all just a long con to throw the race into a loop until Mittens throws his hat into the ring a week before the debates, rides the post-announcement bump into a top 10 polling slot and the accompanying spot in the debate, then takes the candidacy.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there still a plan for a "forum" for candidates 11-20 before the main debate? I'm trying to make plans for my debate party, I need to know how early to have the kegs delivered.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Donald!

quote:

“So many people want me to run as an independent — so many people,” Trump said. “I have been asked by — you have no idea, everybody wants me to do it. I think the best chance of defeating the Democrats and to make America great again is to win as a Republican because I don’t want to be splitting up votes.”

Pressed about whether he would back the Republican ticket if he fails to win the nomination himself, Trump left the door open for a third-party bid of his own. “I would have to see who the nominee is,” he said.

quote:

Trump said that the Wednesday afternoon call with Priebus lasted between 10 and 15 minutes and was “congratulatory” with regard to Trump’s ascent in recent polls. He said that near the end of their discussion, Priebus did ask him to speak in a more measured way about immigration.

“He started off saying, ‘Wow, you really hit a nerve,’” Trump said. “He said, ‘I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this since I’ve been in politics.’”

Trump added, “Then, in closing, he said, ‘You know, if it would be possible, maybe you could tone it down just a little bit, but you are who you are, and I know you have to do what you have to do.’”

Trump said the call from Priebus “was meant, in my opinion, to be a congratulatory call. . .It wasn’t a lecturing-type call. He’s going to lecture me? Give me a break.”

:allears:

Bonus: debate prep is for schmucks

quote:

Trump said he is looking forward to the Republican primary debates, though he has not begun preparing for them.

“I’m not a debater,” he said. “I don’t debate. I build buildings and I grow jobs. These [other candidates] debate every [expletive] night of their life. That’s all they do. They talk.”

Trump suggested that Mitt Romney spent too much time preparing for debates as the 2012 Republican nominee.

“He became a frozen jelly fish,” Trump said. “He spent so much time in prep he couldn’t speak.”

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 9, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Which is why they pushed it under Bush and passed it in the Senate in '13, right?

And promptly abandoned it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I know the conventional wisdom is that none of this really matters because only political junkies are paying attention to the primary process seven months out of Iowa, but Trump's comments are being widely reported right now. Will his continued involvement make the primary that much more visible at this stage in the game?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Donald!

Pressed about whether he would back the Republican ticket if he fails to win the nomination himself, Trump left the door open for a third-party bid of his own. “I would have to see who the nominee is,” he said.

Oh God, please. I'm an atheist, but I might start praying for this.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Donald!

Bonus: debate prep is for schmucks

Oh my god the schism might not be such a pipe dream, motherfucking Donald make it happen!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And promptly abandoned it.

When it ran into the House, a group notably not under the control of the establishment. The establishment is still very clearly in favor of immigration reform, and has taken action on it on multiple occasions.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is that none of this really matters because only political junkies are paying attention to the primary process seven months out of Iowa, but Trump's comments are being widely reported right now. Will his continued involvement make the primary that much more visible at this stage in the game?

His involvement is a plus for Bush. Every minute the camera is on him, every minute the media is talking his latest action, is a minute they are not focusing on and talking about someone who can actually beat Bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

When it ran into the House, a group notably not under the control of the establishment. The establishment is still very clearly in favor of immigration reform, and has taken action on it on multiple occasions.

The establishment cares in so much as they want to win a national election some time. Don't try and act like the party wants meaningful results.

• Locked thread