Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking through the added movies I have two to at least sort of recommend.

Point and Shoot is a really much better than I was expecting documentary about a American journalist that decided to join the Libyan rebels. The thing that makes the movie kind of work for me is just that the subject is sort of an idiot and the movie does not sugar coat this and the whole thing is just sort of fascinating as a result.

Also a movie I saw at Sundance this year, Advantageous is an interesting scifi movie that has some major problems but I feel picks up enough steam in the last act to make it worst watching. The dialogue is very stiff and some of the actors really dont' help this but it gets dark in a way that I sort of like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chichevache posted:

This is exactly how I feel. Even the characters I don't actually like are at least interesting. But the last thing I want to watch from a Jenji Kohan joint is another upper class white person coming in to lower class situations and doing things "better", or whatever the gently caress she's having Piper do in season 4.

Basically all the problems I had with Weeds are cropping up in OitNB, though not as badly as that awful show.

Nothing to add much but that I'm in full agreement (besides the fact I never saw Weeds). One of the reasons I liked Season 3 was because they at least seemed to mostly isolate Piper from everyone else into her own little world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Point and Shoot is a really much better than I was expecting documentary about a American journalist that decided to join the Libyan rebels. The thing that makes the movie kind of work for me is just that the subject is sort of an idiot and the movie does not sugar coat this

I keep almost watching this because the guy on the cover looks like Dan Cortez of "MTV's Spring Break circa 1994" fame.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Netflix put out a real trailer for Wet Hot American Summer recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlMTn_Jzok

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
Is there a grease monkey plug-in or something that makes this new Netflix not so lovely? Any time I click "continue watching" it plays one episode and makes me return back to the homepage to watch the next, instead of just being a playlist. Maybe it's one of my existing plug-ins interfering?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

DarkSun6890 posted:

Is there a grease monkey plug-in or something that makes this new Netflix not so lovely? Any time I click "continue watching" it plays one episode and makes me return back to the homepage to watch the next, instead of just being a playlist. Maybe it's one of my existing plug-ins interfering?

It doesn't do that for me :shrug:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Extraterrestrial was a big ol' pile of cliches but I was entertained. The last 15-20 minutes of it though were a mostly pleasant surprise.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DarkSun6890 posted:

...Don't click "continue watching"? I can watch 2 or 4 episodes of a show before it auto-pauses to see if I fell asleep, but otherwise it plays through fine to the next. If I' impatient during credits or something I click the picture in picture with the play button in the middle, for next episode. Works fine.

I have had Netflix get weird about remembering which episode I'm on though, if, say, I re-watch an older episode and then watch a couple new ones, it often tries to make me watch the oldest one I'd watched, when I come back alter. Not a huge deal but still a pain sometimes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I feel y'all disappointed in TRANS4MERS on Netflix should watch this first to increase your appreciation of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRmRMnVULs8

Then next time you watch it you can even shout "OREO-BOT NOOOOO" at the appropriate time

https://vine.co/tags/oreobot

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The wife and I have our niece and nephew (7 and 9) coming over for a sleepover tomorrow night, and we're looking for something nostalgic to stream. The last couple times they were over we watched The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Everythign we've though of so far (Princess Bride, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park...) isn't available on Amazon or Netflix (for free, at least). Any good suggestions?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

The wife and I have our niece and nephew (7 and 9) coming over for a sleepover tomorrow night, and we're looking for something nostalgic to stream. The last couple times they were over we watched The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Everythign we've though of so far (Princess Bride, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park...) isn't available on Amazon or Netflix (for free, at least). Any good suggestions?

Just a suggestion, but I think it's worth shelling out $3 to stream Jurassic Park, especially if they haven't seen it and double especially if they've seen Jurassic World.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brocktoon posted:

Terminator 2 unfortunately just left Netflix but T1 is there! There's also Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Fifth Element.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The Goonies? Or maybe they're too old for that. I dunno what crazy poo poo 9-year olds are into these days.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

The main reason I'm balking at paying the $3 for Jurassic Park is the 7 year old is kid of a wuss when it comes to movies. He said Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal both had scary parts, but also said the same thing about Muppets From Space and I honestly can't figure out why. I mean, at that point, any movie becomes too scary. Roger Rabbit has Judge Doom. Goonies has scary parts. Princess Bride has thr ROUSs.

Similarly for Back To The Future, I'm worried their mom would flip out about the sex stuff. She just recently watched Grease with them and was "mortified at the content".

The Terminator and The Fifth Element? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Those are joke suggestions, right?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Brocktoon posted:

The main reason I'm balking at paying the $3 for Jurassic Park is the 7 year old is kid of a wuss when it comes to movies. He said Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal both had scary parts, but also said the same thing about Muppets From Space and I honestly can't figure out why. I mean, at that point, any movie becomes too scary. Roger Rabbit has Judge Doom. Goonies has scary parts. Princess Bride has thr ROUSs.

Similarly for Back To The Future, I'm worried their mom would flip out about the sex stuff. She just recently watched Grease with them and was "mortified at the content".

The Terminator and The Fifth Element? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Those are joke suggestions, right?

A lot of goons had hosed up childhoods and watched stuff like Alien at age 8 and think that's normal and healthy.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I had a good childhood, in which my mom didn't want me to see any war movies or even Power Rangers because of violence, and my dad was like "Yo you seen Predator 1 and 2? Let's watch Predator 1 & 2."

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

A lot of goons had hosed up childhoods and watched stuff like Alien at age 8 and think that's normal and healthy.

The more I think about it, I saw movies like that at that age and turned out okay. I saw Aliens when it first hit home video when I was 9 and was fine, other than a few scary nights. But I also was somewhat used to watching "adult" movies by then. My in-law's kids haven't seen anything beyond every computer generated cartoon made in the past 10 years, so to jump in with two feet into The Terminator (or even Jurassic Park) would be insane. I mean, they're not my kids, and I don't want to be the one to expose them to things their parents don't want them to see, even if it does make my "the cool uncle" in the long run.

Now my BROTHER'S kids (6 and 10), I'd watch whatever with them, because my brother has already shown them Ghostbusters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Big Trouble In Little China, Holy Grail, etc...and they love them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just don't watch Critters, I saw that when I was like 8 and couldn't sleep for two weeks. Yes I know it's supposed to be a comedy

Jurassic Park tho, come on don't deprive kids of that experience

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There's James and the Giant Peach, The Rescuers Down Under, Jumanji, Fern Gully, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Nightmare Before Christmas. If you want something new, Boxtrolls is pretty good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Or noted children's classic, Return To Oz

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I remember James and the Giant Peach having some loving intense sequences from seeing it in the cinema as a little kid.

This is good though. Roald Dahl firmly believed in terrifying the poo poo out of your kids.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I started watching Rashomon when I was 5, and look how well I turned out!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I've been wondering the best way to introduce them to the concept of shock therapy...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

This isn't on streaming for free anywhere. I've been waiting for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Party Boat posted:

I remember James and the Giant Peach having some loving intense sequences from seeing it in the cinema as a little kid.

Yeah, the rhino and the Jack Skellington pirate were pretty weird.

Oh also the Goosebumps TV show is up there and it's more cheesy than scary.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Alterian posted:

This isn't on streaming for free anywhere. I've been waiting for it.

Don't do it. Seriously one of the worst movies I've seen in theaters, and I really tried to like it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Animation never ages. These are all on Netflix:

The Rescuers
Pocahontas
The Nightmare before Christmas
James and the Giant Peach
The hunchback of Notre Dame
The Fox and the Hound
Dumbo
The Adventures of Mark Twain

edit: Maybe Mark Twain would be a little intense. I remember it being scary as a kid.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 9, 2015

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Don't do it. Seriously one of the worst movies I've seen in theaters, and I really tried to like it.

I saw it as a kid and it greatly bothered me. I wanted to see what its like as an adult.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

wa27 posted:

Animation never ages. These are all on Netflix:

The Rescuers
Pocahontas
The Nightmare before Christmas
James and the Giant Peach
The hunchback of Notre Dame
The Fox and the Hound
Dumbo
The Adventures of Mark Twain

edit: Maybe Mark Twain would be a little intense. I remember it being scary as a kid.

Pretty sure they've seen all of those except for Mark Twain, and I think it would make their heads explode.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Alterian posted:

I saw it as a kid and it greatly bothered me. I wanted to see what its like as an adult.

Whoops, my mistake. I thought this was the really lovely James Franco one from a couple years ago. I never saw Return to Oz.

wa27 posted:

The Fox and the Hound

This will make the children cry.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What about The Great Mouse Detective? It's never too soon to learn about Vincent Price.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

A MIRACLE posted:

Just don't watch Critters, I saw that when I was like 8 and couldn't sleep for two weeks. Yes I know it's supposed to be a comedy

Jurassic Park tho, come on don't deprive kids of that experience

Whoa. I saw Critters when I was about 5, and I wouldn't go outside for 2 weeks. My family still brings this up to bust my chops. I'm glad to see someone else had a similar experience.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I loved the Rescuers Down Under. George C. Scott is the villain!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Back in the 80's when we got cable my parents told my brother and me. "Come on kids let's watch a movie about summer camp on one of these new pay movie channels". Of course that movie turned out to be the first Friday the 13th. This was not the first or last time my parents did this.

Thanks Mom and Dad (I still can't sleep with open curtains because of watching Salem's Lot at 6).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They might like Hugo or Shaolin Soccer.

Edit: Oh, missed "nostalgic". Definitely the Bill and Ted movies, then.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Brocktoon posted:

Stardust - it's basically the Princess Bride

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nate fisher posted:

Back in the 80's when we got cable my parents told my brother and me. "Come on kids let's watch a movie about summer camp on one of these new pay movie channels". Of course that movie turned out to be the first Friday the 13th. This was not the first or last time my parents did this.

Thanks Mom and Dad (I still can't sleep with open curtains because of watching Salem's Lot at 6).

One of my earliest memories is being absolutely terrified of Nightmare on Elm Street 4, which my parents had no problem with a 3-4 year old watching.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My childhood was full of inappropriate movies of my dad let me watch: a fun action/survival movie (Rambo); a funny movie about golfing (Caddyshack); a thriller about people on a rafting trip (Deliverance). These were all before I was 10.

Disney has quite a few of their classics on Netflix. Someone mentioned Goosebumps is on Amazon, but the much better and more kid-friendly Are You Afraid of the Dark? is on Amazon.

There are lot of great summer movies that aren't traumatizing: Heavyweights, Camp Nowhere, The Sandlot. They may cost $3 on amazon, but they pack a huge nostalgia punch for everyone I know.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I watched Aliens when I was 10 and it's been my favorite movie ever since.

That and Big Trouble In Little China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Stardust - it's basically the Princess Bride

This is a fantastic recommendation and I wholeheartedly second it.