Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in.

And by "ticket," I mean the new extremely creepy anchor that started last week came in and began rubbing my shoulders and then rubbed his head on my back while moaning "My GIMP doesn't work. I need my GIMP to work!" before walking away.

He did this in front of the GM and no one batted an eye. I am really creeped out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

And by "ticket," I mean the new extremely creepy anchor that started last week came in and began rubbing my shoulders and then rubbed his head on my back while moaning "My GIMP doesn't work. I need my GIMP to work!" before walking away.

He did this in front of the GM and no one batted an eye. I am really creeped out right now.

:stare:

you need to GTFO there man

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, did you fix his GIMP?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Volmarias posted:

Well, did you fix his GIMP?

I just sort of muttered "submit a ticket" and now I'm sitting here in my dark office wondering if my GIMP will ever work again.

Sickening posted:

How do you let another person put their hands on you like that without standing up for yourself? Totally bizarre.

The whole bizarre spectacle only lasted about a second. He was walking out before I could process what had actually happened. I'm seriously considering making a sexual harassment complaint.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

How do you let another person put their hands on you like that without standing up for yourself? Totally bizarre.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sickening posted:

From what it sounds like it just happened really fast and larchesdanrew didn't have the time to process it until after the fact.

loving gross though. Submit a sexual harassment complaint.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

larchesdanrew posted:

I just sort of muttered "submit a ticket" and now I'm sitting here in my dark office wondering if my GIMP will ever work again.

The whole bizarre spectacle only lasted about a second. He was walking out before I could process what had actually happened. I'm seriously considering making a sexual harassment complaint.

Yeah, you need to get that reported asap- if the GM saw it and didn't care, see if there is someone else who does that can corroborate it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

You will never need more than this much ram.

Just download some more: http://downloadmoreram.com/

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

Good grief. I don't get people that disrespect personal boundaries. We had a CIO once that basically liked to stand at "If we unzipped our dicks would rub" distance with people he was talking to, and it was creepy and invasive. Finally one of our big burly CS techs calmly put his hand forward and pushed him out to arms length and said "Mike, we're not here to rub dicks, if you want to talk to people stand at arms length."

He also liked to rub peoples backs like the OP above but I put an end to that by slapping his hand away and saying "Any touch is bad touch Mike."

I don't know if he was just socially broken to the point where he didn't know that poo poo was inappropriate/unwanted, or he really knew we all hated him and was just trying to jack the office discomfort up to 11.

For the record I never knew anyone in any office more reviled than this man. He was left in charge of the company for a week while the CEO went on a honeymoon vacation. By the time the CEO got back half of the T1 support crew had tendered their resignations.

When we did the anonymous survey on how to improve the company under "What bureaucratic process can we do away with to improve workflow" like 45% of employees listed the guys name and nothing else.

He's still working there 10 years later in the same position.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 9, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just download some more: http://downloadmoreram.com/

Good grief. I don't get people that disrespect personal boundaries. We had a CIO once that basically liked to stand at "If we unzipped our dicks would rub" distance with people he was talking to, and it was creepy and invasive. Finally one of our big burly CS techs calmly put his hand forward and pushed him out to arms length and said "Mike, we're not here to rub dicks, if you want to talk to people stand at arms length."

He also liked to rub peoples backs like the OP above but I put an end to that by slapping his hand away and saying "Any touch is bad touch Mike."

I don't know if he was just socially broken to the point where he didn't know that poo poo was inappropriate/unwanted, or he really knew we all hated him and was just trying to jack the office discomfort up to 11.

For the record I never knew anyone in any office more reviled than this man. He was left in charge of the company for a week while the CEO went on a honeymoon vacation. By the time the CEO got back half of the T1 support crew had tendered their resignations.

When we did the anonymous survey on how to improve the company under "What bureaucratic process can we do away with to improve workflow" like 45% of employees listed the guys name and nothing else.

He's still working there 10 years later in the same position.

My workplace is the loving headquarters of inappropriate physical contact. To the point where I literally punched a guy in the face in order to get across the point that I didn't want to be touched.

They joke about it now, but they still keep their distance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do you work in a prison?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Here's a post to make larchesdanrew cry and the other broadcast/post goons laugh. Vendor who runs our edit suites is cleaning out their equipment room. So many dollars in now-useless Avid storage.

This is from pages back but that all makes me :qq: I had to do an entire summer internship poking at Avid poo poo before i got into radio and away from the TV side of journalism. Goodbye bulky poo poo tech

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a drat sight. I'ma get medieval on your rear end.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Do you work in a prison?

Shark biologist.

But no, just a small town IT shop with a bunch of man baby co-workers and a inappropriate culture perpetuated by the owner.

They all mostly do good work though, and I primarily work at client locations, so whatever.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

So, a potential job came in, at Tesla Motors.

Recruiter posted:

Hi FireSight,

I hope this email finds you well. We have an opportunity as below. Kindly do revert to this email if this is of your interest.

Client: Tesla
Role: Deskside Support

Other job specific requirements obviously written by somebody with a better grasp of engish

Deskside Support? Uh... ok. Well the rest of it is fairly obvious he's just indian... also his name is stereotypical indian, so I'll forgive this.
So I respond to him, asking about pay. He gets back to me... and responds using the wrong name.

Good pay, awesome company, but... I'm not sure I want to deal with this guy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Every time you respond to his email call him a different name. All stereotypically American names.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

"I'm sorry, Arunakrishnan takes too long to type. Your name is Toby now"

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh it is enterprise. But even if PAE is enabled, his system won't use more than 4gb.

The problem is that he's running out of memory. This server is running exchange, plus a small MySQL server, and is the domain controller to boot.

It chugs and halts along. When he tries to add a backup to the mix, the whole house of cards crumbles.

This, of course, means that it's our backup program causing the issue.

He just refuses to believe that the system isn't using the available memory despite me showing him it's only ever using 4gb in like four ways.

PAE on 32-bit Windows will just crank back the kernel and all drivers (not including device memory) into the top 1gb of virtual address space instead of the top 2gb. That allows processes to alloc up to 3gb, but some apps assumed the top bit would always be zero and used it as a flag on the pointer which breaks horribly under PAE. There's also the Address Window Extension (AWE) API that apps can call to map ranges of memory in and out of their 32-bit space to access beyond 4gb, but memory allocated this way doesn't get reported as part of the process under most mechanisms, so it can look like a process is only consuming 200mb when its actually got another 40gb mapped this way. Very few apps support that API, typically only databases like MSSQL, so it's still quite possible for your backups and other apps to fight over the bottom 3gb and run OOM. Still, I'd ask why your page file isn't covering the difference; swapping is god awful slow but it's better than hard crashing.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

keseph posted:

Very few apps support that API, typically only databases like MSSQL, so it's still quite possible for your backups and other apps to fight over the bottom 3gb and run OOM. Still, I'd ask why your page file isn't covering the difference; swapping is god awful slow but it's better than hard crashing.

If PAE is actually enabled, shouldn't each process be able to use its own 2GB/3GB without doing anything special? I bet it's not actually on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

keseph posted:

PAE on 32-bit Windows will just crank back the kernel and all drivers (not including device memory) into the top 1gb of virtual address space instead of the top 2gb. That allows processes to alloc up to 3gb, but some apps assumed the top bit would always be zero and used it as a flag on the pointer which breaks horribly under PAE. There's also the Address Window Extension (AWE) API that apps can call to map ranges of memory in and out of their 32-bit space to access beyond 4gb, but memory allocated this way doesn't get reported as part of the process under most mechanisms, so it can look like a process is only consuming 200mb when its actually got another 40gb mapped this way. Very few apps support that API, typically only databases like MSSQL, so it's still quite possible for your backups and other apps to fight over the bottom 3gb and run OOM. Still, I'd ask why your page file isn't covering the difference; swapping is god awful slow but it's better than hard crashing.

Wrong.
The /PAE and /3GB switches to the Windows XP/2003 kernels and older are separate.

The /3GB switch tells the kernel to try minimizing its own footprint in process address spaces, to let /LARGEADDRESSAWARE-compiled applications get more usable address space.

The /PAE switch tells the kernel to allow using address lines 32 to 47 for physical memory, letting it map memory above the physical 4 GB barrier. Often the BIOS can have mapped various devices in the area below 4 GB, and some devices can even be quite greedy. The result is that some parts of physical memory that should logically be below 4 GB is actually relocated to above 4 GB, resulting in a non-PAE 32 bit kernel seeing 4 GB physical memory as perhaps just 3.4 GB or even less.

Say you have 16 GB of physical memory. Using /PAE without /3GB lets the kernel map up to 7 processes using their full 2 GB address space into physical memory without swapping pages out. (The last 2 GB would be reserved for the kernel.) Using /3GB without /PAE would at most let the kernel keep one process using its full 3 GB address space in physical memory, but likely it'd be swapping pages to disk before that; at least 12 GB of physical memory would be sitting idle and useless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gilok posted:

"I'm sorry, Arunakrishnan takes too long to type. Your name is Toby now"
I found out the other week that our CEO for the Shanghai branch literally does this to his employees.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gilok posted:

I like the parts where he is just obstinate and confrontational with his superiors and also end users so that's cool.

It beats the hell out of the usual The Daily WTF-type "someone made me do stupid thing so i did it but I'm smarter than they are :smug:" story.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
An email went out from the office today.

"Sound good to mee, r u still looking?

Tom

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cas/5108736113.html

Sent from my iPhone"

Sent from our work iPhone. Dude replied and even called the office. This Email was sent to everyone in the IT department. Guy who sent it gives no shits. I love this job, the crazy poo poo that happens here is refreshing.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FireSight posted:

Deskside Support? Uh... ok. Well the rest of it is fairly obvious he's just indian... also his name is stereotypical indian, so I'll forgive this.
So I respond to him, asking about pay. He gets back to me... and responds using the wrong name.

I had an Indian recruiter send me four emails about the same job in the span of ten minutes, each one using a different wrong name. The last one was addressed to "Dear CONFIDENTIAL..." :cripes:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Tom

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cas/5108736113.html

Sent from my iPhone"

Sent from our work iPhone. Dude replied and even called the office. This Email was sent to everyone in the IT department. Guy who sent it gives no shits. I love this job, the crazy poo poo that happens here is refreshing.

Might want to NSWF that.

Did Tom leave early from work yet?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Cotton posted:

It beats the hell out of the usual The Daily WTF-type "someone made me do stupid thing so i did it but I'm smarter than they are :smug:" story.
I like to think of The Daily WTF as IT fanfiction.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I fixed his GIMP.

Then told him politely that if he ever touched me again, I'd be going to management.

I'm stone cold, bros.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You handled that the best that you could.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Muffinlord posted:

You handled that the best that you could.

I still think he should have shat in their drawer.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

spog posted:

I still think he should have shat in their drawer.

And then wiped his rear end with Mr. Gimp's scripts.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

larchesdanrew posted:

I fixed his GIMP.

Then told him politely that if he ever touched me again, I'd be going to management.

I'm stone cold, bros.

Do you work at a pawn shop by any chance?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

fromoutofnowhere posted:

And then wiped his rear end with Mr. Gimp's scripts.

Yeah, but also, it's nice to have a job, sometimes.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Roargasm posted:

Do you work at a pawn shop by any chance?

The basement certainly looks the part.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Haquer posted:

The basement certainly looks the part.

Pawn shops will usually part with things.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Tom

:nws:http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cas/5108736113.html:nws:

Sent from my iPhone"

Thanks for getting me to open that at work. Good thing I am the one who controls the web filter.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

began rubbing my shoulders and then rubbed his head on my back while moaning "My GIMP doesn't work. I need my GIMP to work!" before walking away.
It wasn't the software he was talking about. :ssh:

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Trastion posted:

Thanks for getting me to open that at work. Good thing I am the one who controls the web filter.

This is precisely why I browse via RDP to my home PC. Never know when you're gonna end up somewhere your employer wouldn't approve of.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

It wasn't the software he was talking about. :ssh:

Mr. GIMP started last Wednesday. He has submitted so so so many tickets.

A sampling:

"PLEASE .. A NEW KEYBOARD ... AT LEAST ONE I CAN READ," (He hunts and pecks. His keyboard had three letters worn away.)
"HOW ABOUT SOME NEW LIGHTS IN THE BATHROOM" (Referring to an obsolete fluorescent light over the mirror that hasn't worked in over a decade, but was never taken down. He needs a light to put on foundation)
"GIMP" (That's all it said. It is the now infamous 'Gimp Rubdown')
"STUDIO SPEAKER I WANT TO HEAR IT" (Referencing an obsolete monitor speaker hanging from the ceiling from the days when studio control would converse with the studio crew through speakers, rather than ear pieces.)
"CAN'T SEE MY DESK" (Translation: "One fluorescent light is out in the newsroom. Please bring in a 30 foot ladder and change it for me right now.")
"IT IS NOT APRINTER HELP ME PLEASE" (Printer not printing?)

And on and on and on. He insists on typing in all caps because his caps lock is already on from typing stories.

Hilariously, his first day on the air, the first words he uttered to the public ear were "This is where I'm going to end my career."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I say that every time I start a new job.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I prefer, "This is where I'm going to end your career" and then I poo poo in their drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I say that every time I start a new job.

I say that in the morning before my first shot of Jack.

• Locked thread