Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

No, I mean who cares how rehearsed her talking points are if they're just empty words to win an election, after which she can easily change her positions again?

Talking points are rehearsed replies to questions about [something] that the campaign has put together based on their positions on the issue so the candidate or spokesman or whoever can use to not gently caress up their delivery of their reply. I would rather have that than an off-the-cuff remark that gets distorted.

See: "47%", "$10k bet", "They're rapists", "The private sector is doing fine", "Legitimate rape", "You didn't build that!" and on and on and on

e: "BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN"

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Given that she's spent the last 20+ years under constant media scrutiny for a litany of made up bullshit, I think her animosity and caution with the media is somewhat fair.

The media is going to say poo poo about her no matter what. That's what they always do, because she's a public figure. There aren't many other mediums to connect the public. And it should be It should be perfectly okay to discriminate against candidates for their personal character. We do it all the time on this forum and in the political channels because we honestly think this is an okay thing to do, and we're right saying it's okay.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Job Truniht posted:

The media is going to say poo poo about her no matter what. That's what they always do, because she's a public figure. There aren't many other mediums to connect the public.

It's not just that they say poo poo about her, the Beltway Media Fetish with Hillary/Bill is absolutely insane.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Talking points are rehearsed replies to questions about [something] that the campaign has put together based on their positions on the issue

Whose positions? You all seem to think that Hillary believes in the things coming out of her mouth for some unexplained reason.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not just that they say poo poo about her, the Beltway Media Fetish with Hillary/Bill is absolutely insane.

On the other hand, these are the same people who helped make Mitt Romney unelectable on the spot over stupid poo poo he said regarding Benghazi and 47%.

Punishing the media is bizarre, especially since you're making the assumption that people are going to believe everything that's said. Candidates should get as much exposure as they can and stop engaging in censorship.

I think people kind of ignore how personal character actually does affect elections. Some of them called Biden a worthless ticket for VP since he doesn't bring any electoral gain, but a lot of people saw vice presidential debates the 2008 and 2012 elections as being key to the outcome. He made both Ryan and Palin look like caricatures, because he comes off as an actual person who puts meaning behind the words he says.

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 9, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Job Truniht posted:

On the other hand, these are the same people who helped make Mitt Romney unelectable on the spot over stupid poo poo he said regarding Benghazi and 47%.

Hahahaahah. Oh that's hilarious.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pwnyXpress posted:

Whose positions? You all seem to think that Hillary believes in the things coming out of her mouth for some unexplained reason.

She does though. Why do you only believe men believe what they say?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mitt Romney made himself unelectable. Also the 47% thing was stupidly ironic considering the final result for him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

If it just hadn't been for that mean old media making :mitt: look like a cold, heartless Robot, he wouldn't have gotten his rear end handed to him.

Yes, that is totally like the poo poo Hillary and Bill have been through for the two decades, wherein, every facet of the public and private lives is turned into a mini-scandal worthy of lengthy op-eds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RaySmuckles posted:

The fun conspiracy theory is that's why he's in it in the first place. To distract from Bush! No one's talking about how bad it would be to have another bush, but instead laughing at the clown! Plus bush looks better by comparison.

Regardless, he must know he never stood a chance in the first place, so why run?

Of course he's also providing cover for Walker, and the less people are confronted with the real Walker, the better for him. It's going to be almost as fun after Trump quits as it is with him in. The sudden vacuum of hateful insanity is going to result in everyone else's crazy being pulled out for the media's enjoyment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nice, you showed that bigot!

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's weird how people don't trust people who are proven huge liars, agreed.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's weird how people don't trust people who are proven huge liars, agreed.

:allears:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Where did I say that I believe that? I don't.

Hillary has a demonstrated record of flipping her stance when convenient. Why do you think she believes what she says?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If it just hadn't been for that mean old media making :mitt: look like a cold, heartless Robot, he wouldn't have gotten his rear end handed to him.

Yes, that is totally like the poo poo Hillary and Bill have been through for the two decades, wherein, every facet of the public and private lives is turned into a mini-scandal worthy of lengthy op-eds.

I don't think it's fair to play the armchair historian and say that Obama would've won the election without factoring in the media coverage. He was mired in controversy at the time, particularly over Benghazi. The right is still mad over that poo poo since it kept rebounding every time they launched an investigation.

I want to get back to my original point: Censorship in any form is bad. Candidates should be as open and honest about their positions as possible. I think a lot worst things would've come out of the 2012 election if candidates merely sprouted their honest opinions on something behind closed doors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm still waiting for that list of policies Clinton has put forth on the campaign trail this year but secretly loathes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm sure her switch to supporting marriage equality precisely as the national view tipped toward "yes" came from the heart.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pwnyXpress posted:

Where did I say that I believe that? I don't.

Hillary has a demonstrated record of flipping her stance when convenient. Why do you think she believes what she says?

The only person you're yelling about not believing things this election cycle is a woman.

Why do you think she doesn't believe what she says? Politicians are supposed to operate in accordance with what the voters want after all.

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm sure her switch to supporting marriage equality precisely as the national view tipped toward "yes" came from the heart.

Thanks, paranoid guy who isn't aware that she fought for gay rights back in the early 90s.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm still waiting for that list of policies Clinton has put forth on the campaign trail this year but secretly loathes.

Chipotle
Poor people
Transparency
Mild Salsa
Hating on Trump
Blue Ezreal builds
Pro-trade bill
Anti-trade bill
Hair dye
O'Malley's abs

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Job Truniht posted:

I don't think it's fair to play the armchair historian and say that Obama would've won the election without factoring in the media coverage. He was mired in controversy at the time, particularly over Benghazi. The right is still mad over that poo poo since it kept rebounding every time they launched an investigation.

I want to get back to my original point: Censorship in any form is bad. Candidates should be as open and honest about their positions as possible. I think a lot worst things would've come out of the 2012 election if candidates merely sprouted their honest opinions on something behind closed doors.

This is just stupid bullshit though.

Romney was an awful loving candidate who was bad on the stump and bad on policies. Let me help you. A worse moment for Romney, or at least that typified him really well, were him being asked on Fox News what book he was reading, he mumbled something, then decided that "well, I am not going to tell you the interesting one" and instead listed the same prosaic historical reflect book he'd been saying for six months. Or even better: RYAN RYAN ... NO NO NO ROMNEY RYAN ROMNEY RYAN.

Like, you can say that candidates should be "as open and honest" as they can be; but they're actively dissuaded from that because the American public have been stupid about it for decades.

And again, as for Hillary, this is a women who spent the last twenty years having the media pick apart her every sentence for some new gate to have. Like, we had a national conversation about whether or not she should have left her husband for gently caress sake.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chipotle
Poor people
Transparency
Mild Salsa
Hating on Trump
Blue Ezreal builds
Pro-trade bill
Anti-trade bill
Hair dye
O'Malley's abs

But honestly guys, we promise we're not sexist! :rolleyes:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Blue Ezreal builds

no one should support this.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Thanks, paranoid guy who isn't aware that she fought for gay rights back in the early 90s.

lol she was still anti-gay marriage until 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So were a lot of people, including the president.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I believe Obama was as well though.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you honestly not know anyone who has changed their position on this issue from the mid 2000s to now? My entire family was anti-marriage until the last few years. We're talking dyed in the wool Catholics.

Hell, even some of my :siren:Millenial:siren: friends have had their hearts softened since the world moved on.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Check your facts *crosses arms*

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Nonsense posted:

I believe Obama was as well though.

Obama supported marriage equality as a state senator but softened his position on the national stage, IIRC.

What a :siren:Liberal Flip Flipper:siren:.

Seriously, though, guys. Activists push for unpopular things and represent a small group of determined people. Politicians are elected to represent and execute the will of the people. Sometimes the two go hand in hand and sometimes they don't. See: Any civil rights decision ever.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

But honestly guys, we promise we're not sexist! :rolleyes:

Uh what was sexist about that post.

Actually? Don't tell me

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

If you want to make a better point about her being some what, pliable, on issues -- you can talk about the trade deal. I would have preferred her to be more concrete on her position, and its pretty clear she's walking a line of non-committal so that she can pivot correctly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Writing a negative article about the Clintons is the politics equivalent of a tech publication writing about super secret leaks of the next iphone. Guaranteed page views or book sales and by the time it becomes clear you were bullshitting the check has already cleared.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Writing a negative article about the Clintons is the politics equivalent of a tech publication writing about super secret leaks of the next iphone. Guaranteed page views or book sales and by the time it becomes clear you were bullshitting the check has already cleared.

bingo

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, people have said that she won't really do any of the stuff she's talking about regarding the big banks and the regulatory steps needed to prevent another 2008-style meltdown.

Shifty Pony posted:

This. It's profitable to attack the Clintons, because there is a large subset of people who will swallow any negative thing that's said about them without question. They're called Fox News viewers.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 9, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Well, people have said that she won't really do any of the stuff she's talking about regarding the big banks and the regulatory steps needed to prevent another 2008-style meltdown.

People can say lots of things though. I think, given the clime of the Democratic party, she'd have trouble if she didn't and she knows that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uh what was sexist about that post.

Actually? Don't tell me

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes a pathway to citizenship?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes increased spending on infrastructure and R&D?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes raising the minimum wage?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes the right to organize?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly supposes the wage gap?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes mandatory paid leave?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly supposes LGBT discrimination in the workplace?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes Military spending?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes the VRA?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes universal automatic voter registration?

Do you believe that Clinton secretly opposes minimum standards for early voting?

Or do you just care about her flip-floping on hair dye?

Alter Ego posted:

That might be a good one, although its not exactly a main point of her campaign to begin wth.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think we have to wait until monday when Hillary is supposed to release her platform for the economy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

People can say lots of things though. I think, given the clime of the Democratic party, she'd have trouble if she didn't and she knows that.

It'll be interesting to see what she says and does on the debate stage with Sanders and O'Malley. I expect the three of them will run to the left as quickly as their feet can carry them.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Just to give credit, her husband banned gay marriage at the federal level but that doesn't mean people can't listen to their constituents and say "maybe I should re-evaluate my position on this?"

I prefer that to deferring to the bible.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

McDowell posted:

I think we have to wait until monday when Hillary is supposed to release her platform for the economy.

The one think tank that is pro-Hillary more or less already had a while back, but I am curious to look at it. I think it will be less populist than people around here are hoping for and will have lots of stuff about "strengthening the middle class."

Though NYT is hinting they're much more ambitious than I had thought: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/us/politics/hillary-clinton-economic-agenda-aims-at-a-party-moving-left.html?_r=0

Alter Ego posted:

It'll be interesting to see what she says and does on the debate stage with Sanders and O'Malley. I expect the three of them will run to the left as quickly as their feet can carry them.

Likely. They'll be super boring snooze fests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If you want to make a better point about her being some what, pliable, on issues -- you can talk about the trade deal. I would have preferred her to be more concrete on her position, and its pretty clear she's walking a line of non-committal so that she can pivot correctly.

But, really, she's right. She probably wants a trade deal. But it would be stupid in any sense to say she absolutely supports a deal that turns out to be a big gently caress You to everyone.

It's the same with a deal on Iran.

It would be like you or me protesting a proposed payroll change in our office when in the end we all get raises.

• Locked thread