Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

StealthArcher posted:

:thumbsup: I cut myself on all this edge.

:agreed:

I don't care to watch the video poparena, but is the channel you trash Twin Perfect? Their fans are obnoxious some times but all the points TP themselves are pretty great and as far as I'm aware don't get anything wrong.

Similarly, just because geeks can be insufferable doesn't mean everything in with "Silent Hill" in the name that isn't made by Team Silent is a billion times worse than the Star Wars prequels. That's not even hyperbole, they make Attack of the Clones look like The Empire Strikes Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is Spoony in the new NC? He posted the link on his site which usually means a crossover.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Jsor posted:

Is Spoony in the new NC? He posted the link on his site which usually means a crossover.

As Tuurl.

The joke is dead. Long live the joke.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spoony and/or NC running a joke into the ground? You don't say?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KayTee posted:

As Tuurl.

It's not like he's written any new ones to draw from.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

WickedHate posted:

I don't care to watch the video poparena, but is the channel you trash Twin Perfect? Their fans are obnoxious some times but all the points TP themselves are pretty great and as far as I'm aware don't get anything wrong.

Nah, TP are also toxic people who have an alarming tendency to create a conclusion first and then seek out evidence that supports that conclusion while ignoring evidence that contradicts it and then declaring that they are right and anyone who disagrees with them is a, quote, "retard".

WickedHate posted:

Similarly, just because geeks can be insufferable doesn't mean everything in with "Silent Hill" in the name that isn't made by Team Silent is a billion times worse than the Star Wars prequels. That's not even hyperbole, they make Attack of the Clones look like The Empire Strikes Back.

"Everything with "Silent Hill" in the name that isn't made by Team Silent is a billion times worse than the Star: Wars prequels." is an opinion held by TP.

It isn't, however, an opinion espoused in the video so I'm confused as to why you brought it up.

e: I just finished the video, so my thoughts. I liked it. It was a good overview of the Silent Hill series I thought and an interesting discussion on canon and fan expectations and how they can stifle creativity and stagnate franchises. I thought the Twin Perfect rant was unnecessary and bogged down the video, as I'm of the opinion that TP deserves as little attention as possible, but it was only a small part of an otherwise interesting video.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 9, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
WickedHate post.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

KayTee posted:

As Tuurl.

that's...that's seriously still a thing...?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I remember it being funny back in the original Battlefield Earth review.

I do not know why it's still going.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

that's...that's seriously still a thing...?

Doug really doesn't want to let any of his "jokes" go to waste. I'm honestly surprised the guy has the restraint to not bring up the Burger King gag again, or stop another review to explain in detail what "Frying the coke" means.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I remember it being funny.

Spoony.txt :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Frying the coke is the most ridiculous, egrigious thing Doug has ever done(as far as his videos go) and it's so cringeworthy.

dijon du jour posted:

It isn't, however, an opinion espoused in the video so I'm confused as to why you brought it up.

Ah, I meant for that is to be an "isn't". Just because geeks can be insufferable doesn't mean no one can ever complain about a franchise being pissed on by the people who own the rights for several years.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Frying the coke is the most ridiculous, egrigious thing Doug has ever done(as far as his videos go) and it's so cringeworthy.

well now I need someone to explain what that means.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
A scene from Double Team where the characters were saved from an explosion with a coke machine. He tried to make it a meme and it didn't go over well.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

senae posted:

well now I need someone to explain what that means.

Here you go.

The sequel.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emeriin posted:

A scene from Double Team where the characters were saved from an explosion with a coke machine. He tried to make it a meme and it didn't go over well.

Yeah wasn't it supposed to be like jumping the shark or something, but with more product placement? Jesus. I can't believe I had almost forgotten that gem.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

emeriin posted:

Not only that but he brought it back up in one of the Steven King movie episodes where a character got his hand stuck in a coke machine and it blew up, where NC literally stops the review and explains it in detail.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Redlettermedia explains Terminator timeline :allears:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Leal posted:

Not only that but he brought it back up in one of the Steven King movie episodes where a character got his hand stuck in a coke machine and it blew up, where NC literally stops the review and explains it in detail.

So does a scene have to have Coke product placement to qualify as a true frying the Coke moment, or is that just a special case?

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

I remember Big Lipped Alligator Moment really taking off with the TV Tropes crowd, so I get why he thought it would be a thing. Although it doesn't help that no one would know what "frying the coke" referred to without context. Or that it's a disingenuous way to describe it, because it's transparently using the language and imagery of the "nuking the fridge" thing (which I never understood much either).

Reminds me of "I was frozen today", which he also tried to make into a meme for some reason.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

kaleidolia posted:

I remember Big Lipped Alligator Moment really taking off with the TV Tropes crowd, so I get why he thought it would be a thing. Although it doesn't help that no one would know what "frying the coke" referred to without context. Or that it's a disingenuous way to describe it, because it's transparently using the language and imagery of the "nuking the fridge" thing (which I never understood much either).

Reminds me of "I was frozen today", which he also tried to make into a meme for some reason.

All of those memes are years old and he still insists on including them. Pretty much :regd08:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kaleidolia posted:

He tried to make it a meme on the power of Christopher Lloyd screaming I WAS FROZEN TODAY! :byodood: seemingly apropos of nothing in his most Christopher Lloyd of ways.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Big Lipped Alligator Moment was actually Lindsay's creation, he just helped her make it a thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Big Lipped Aligator moment was at least supplemented by him using the "BIG LIPPED ALIGATOR MOMENT!" running gag decently, and using it correctly to it's actual meaning(for which there wasn't really a phrase to describe it before).

With frying the coke, he just stops everything dead in it's tracks to explain what it is two times, and beyond that, it's painfully generic. "Holy poo poo that was wild, woah, that was so over the top!" is not exactly an unprecedented concept. It feels like Doug thought that's what Jumping the Shark meant(it's not), that Nuking the Fridge was that but more(I've never heard someone use this phrase aside from him), and he wanted Frying the Coke to top those two.

I Was Frozen Today always just felt like another running gag of his. Eh. There are worse. Lloyd's delivery is pretty funny, but Doug kept acting like the "randomness" of it was what was funny instead of how it was said. It made perfect since within the context of what was going on. He was angry about being frozen that day!

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 9, 2015

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

emeriin posted:

Big Lipped Alligator Moment was actually Lindsay's creation, he just helped her make it a thing rode her coattails.

Fixed for you.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Well yes, thank you.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

You already answered that:

I remember it being funny back in the original Battlefield Earth review.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Leal posted:

Doug really doesn't want to let any of his "jokes" go to waste. I'm honestly surprised the guy has the restraint to not bring up the Burger King gag again, or stop another review to explain in detail what "Frying the coke" means.

omg okay so I have to share this story now:

Phelan and I pretty much think the Casper "timing!" joke is the worst, so when Phelan did his crossover with Doug on Child's play, he had him flush him down the toilet. That was it. But Doug was so set on not getting rid of him, he added a bit where he came back. He couldn't commit to leaving him flushed in a crossover review joke.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's the difference between a running gag and a callback?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Competence.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think this whole line of thought is why I couldn't never get into any of the CA reviewers. They all seem so focused on building their character, their in jokes, that they stop trying to be entertaining or informative. Do they expect all new viewers to archive binge in order to understand the constant self-references? Are they intentionally attempting to manufacture catch phrases and gags for fans to reference to each other as some kind of fan club shibboleth?

It's not limited to CA, all personality-driven internet shows do this, but I've seen in in CA the worst.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Mraagvpeine posted:

Running gags don't know when to stop.

v EDIT: Yeah, that was one of the main examples that came to my mind when was trying to think of good examples.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 9, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mraagvpeine posted:

An example of a good running gag is in Inside Out (very very minor non-story spoilers): two characters who work in our Riley's long-term memory storage are picking old, faded memories to toss away into the pit of no return. As they do this, they come across a memory of an old commercial jingle that they really enjoy. They proceed to tell Joy and Sadness - two of Riley's emotions and our main characters - that they like to throw this jingle into the system whenever they feel like it. This translates to Riley randomly having this jingle stuck in her head, sometimes referred to as an earworm. This is just the setup, of course, and the payoff is that at unexpected moments - for example, when the emotions back at headquarters are trying to access some memories - the jingle shows up, furthering the joke by having it affect not just Riley but her emotions.

I think it's pretty funny, anyway :v:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

TheMaestroso posted:

An example of a good running gag is in Inside Out (very very minor non-story spoilers): two characters who work in our Riley's long-term memory storage are picking old, faded memories to toss away into the pit of no return. As they do this, they come across a memory of an old commercial jingle that they really enjoy. They proceed to tell Joy and Sadness - two of Riley's emotions and our main characters - that they like to throw this jingle into the system whenever they feel like it. This translates to Riley randomly having this jingle stuck in her head, sometimes referred to as an earworm. This is just the setup, of course, and the payoff is that at unexpected moments - for example, when the emotions back at headquarters are trying to access some memories - the jingle shows up, furthering the joke by having it affect not just Riley but her emotions.

I think it's pretty funny, anyway :v:

Yeah, that was a great gag. I've only seen the movie once, three days before it wide-released, and I still remember that drat jingle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

Phelan and I pretty much think the Casper "timing!" joke is the worst, so when Phelan did his crossover with Doug on Child's play, he had him flush him down the toilet. That was it. But Doug was so set on not getting rid of him, he added a bit where he came back. He couldn't commit to leaving him flushed in a crossover review joke.

Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 0 Days Since We Learned Something Groan-Worthy About Doug Walker

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'd complain that bringing up Doug's failings is turning into the new Josh Hadley thing, but this is probably therapeutic for the ex-CA posters in this thread, so I don't mind as much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dreezy posted:

I think this whole line of thought is why I couldn't never get into any of the CA reviewers. They all seem so focused on building their character, their in jokes, that they stop trying to be entertaining or informative. Do they expect all new viewers to archive binge in order to understand the constant self-references? Are they intentionally attempting to manufacture catch phrases and gags for fans to reference to each other as some kind of fan club shibboleth?

It's not limited to CA, all personality-driven internet shows do this, but I've seen in in CA the worst.

I remember one larry on the CA forum (I've probably mentioned this story before) who started a thread asking if it was okay for him to use the Nintendo Power Glove as a recurring prop in his review show, because Linkara had already used it. Everyone was like, "It's fine, nobody has a monopoly on props," until one guy asked him what he reviewed, because he hadn't seen his show. His response could be summed up as, "I haven't started the show yet; I wanted to get all my plots and characters fleshed out before I started reviewing."

It was the veritable apotheosis of nerds aspiring to be Internet critics. Don't worry about the criticism; your character and the subplots you have in your review videos (which you're totally gonna make) are much more important.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

:cripes:

Doug doesn't actually know how comedians are successful, does he? Then again the guy does make his living off that, lemme rephrase: He doesn't know why career comedians are funny. They can make anything funny, without having to fall back on old jokes.

E: Actually Casper reminds me of something else that annoyed me with Doug: His need to bring up references/jokes that just recently happened. IE; for like 3 or so episodes after Casper he would bring up all those Casper jokes. Recently in the Fantastic 4 video he references Hong Kong 97, a game that the AVGN also recently made a video for. No real build up or anything, just a blatant "Hey remember that other internet reviewer?"

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 10, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This went about as well as I thought it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Does Doug still do Chuck Norris jokes because holy poo poo that's one of the most dated jokes I've ever seen, it was dated as hell back in 2010 when he was doing it.

• Locked thread