Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Ekhidna decoction is so powerful that I feel bad using it. It trivializes pretty much any combat encounter. I'm on blood and broken bones now but I guess I should bump it up to death march?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Arglebargle III posted:

Video game sex is a lot easier for me to handle when it's two characters with their own opinions about things like Geralt and some batty sorceress. In Dragon Age where it's a blank page player-avatar and a harem of available NPCs it feels too much like I'M MAKIN' THE DOLLIES KISS MWA MWA MWA!

I just want to say I have been playing this game in short, infrequent bursts (job, toddler leave little time for vidya games) but I've been reading this thread too. I just got to the sex scene with the blond one yesterday and skipped it after two seconds, it was so cringeworthy.

This post though made me laugh out loud. Ok back to page 190 or whatever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Metanaut posted:

I made the decision to skip Dandelions "quest" when it became available, because he's an annoying twat, but then I read a comment it takes a dark turn. I sure didn't expect this. :catstare:

Skipping Dandelion's stuff because you don't like him should result in automatically giving you the bad ending :colbert:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Javes posted:

Ekhidna decoction is so powerful that I feel bad using it. It trivializes pretty much any combat encounter. I'm on blood and broken bones now but I guess I should bump it up to death march?

Yeah, with the exception of the first 5-10 levels there really is no challenge to combat on easier difficulties.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Macaluso posted:

Skipping Dandelion's stuff because you don't like him should result in automatically giving you the bad ending immediate game over, save erase, game uninstalled and deleted from steam library :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dandelion's charm is that he sounds and acts like a complete and utter dweeb but he's still drowning in pussy

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I've spent like 20 points in combat, 11 in signs, 3 in potion tolerance, and I stupidly bought that vitality yellow one when I first started.

Like my build actually. The only thing about combat that annoys me is how sometimes when a mob blocks you get all stunned. I burn those fucks alive.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Swim? Why not just ride Roach over there and tell her? Takes like 10 seconds. I used Roach like a taxi through nearly all of the game. In fact I loved killing low level monsters/wolves as I rode by in one swipe. Once there was a guy getting attacked by a warg and I just killed it as I was riding by. Sure the other wolves probably got him, but his friendly neighborhood witcher just bought him a few more precious moments of life while he was on his way to sell table knives and fishing poles to the local vendor.

It takes a small amount of time to just jump off the dock and swim to her. I use Roach for a ton of stuff, but his fool rear end gets stuck on every loving rock on Skellige so I don't use him if I'm going a short distance. Hell I don't even whistle for him in towns because that dummy just gets caught on a peasant or something. Keep up roach, I'm in a hurry.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I've spent like 20 points in combat, 11 in signs, 3 in potion tolerance, and I stupidly bought that vitality yellow one when I first started.

I did too. That blond witch with her nipples always showing (can't remember the name) sells a skills reset potion for 1k. I am sure there are some other vendors that do to.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Macaluso posted:

Skipping Dandelion's stuff because you don't like him should result in automatically giving you the bad ending :colbert:

If you don't do the quest, all the narration suddenly gets really pissy and passive-aggressive. "And then Geralt, who smelled like rear end all the time, went to Skellige, where I hope he died or something, in order to find Ciri, who could really do much better for a father figure."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Best trick to get Roach to spawn where you want him is to turn your back, take 1-3 steps in the opposite direction, and call him. He'll be running straight at you because he always comes from behind to sneak up on you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

If you don't do the quest, all the narration suddenly gets really pissy and passive-aggressive. "And then Geralt, who smelled like rear end all the time, went to Skellige, where I hope he died or something, in order to find Ciri, who could really do much better for a father figure."

Holy poo poo I almost want to not finished the quest just for this.

Has anyone tried playing with ALL the hud elements turned off? I'm really enjoying the minimap being gone (although I wish I still had a compass somewhere on my screen), but now all the other UI elements seem to stick out to me.

edit: V aww, too bad, that would have been really funny. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was at least one jab in there, though.

My favorite thing about Dandelion is that he's such a terrible poet. Like he's super famous, and everyone has read his poo poo, but it's not really that he's good, just well traveled and hangs out with way cooler people than himself to tell stories about.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 9, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo I almost want to not finished the quest just for this.

I should say I was making a joke here and the game doesn't actually do this. Although I haven't actually ever avoiding doing the quest, because I'M NOT A HEARTLESS MONSTER.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I don't think you can completely skip his quest since it's part of the Ciri-tracking Main quest?

Though now that I think about it, the Baron + Skellige bits are really the only part you need to find her, so maybe it is skippable?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

OAquinas posted:

I don't think you can completely skip his quest since it's part of the Ciri-tracking Main quest?

Though now that I think about it, the Baron + Skellige bits are really the only part you need to find her, so maybe it is skippable?

You can skip his cabaret side quest chain if you want, that's what they mean.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Metanaut posted:

I made the decision to skip Dandelions "quest" when it became available, because he's an annoying twat, but then I read a comment it takes a dark turn. I sure didn't expect this. :catstare:

Cabaret? I forgot to do that one and it timed out

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Cabaret? I forgot to do that one and it timed out

It's....good.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Romes128 posted:

Also I think I have a Gwent addiction. I managed to absolutely destroy someone with a 2nd round score of 190 just cause I wanted to see how high I can get it.

The last time this happened was Final Fantasy 8 and basically only progressed the game to get more cards.

Can I get any tips on playing Gwent? I cannot win a game to save my life.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I seriously wish they had done that - once you fail his quest all the loading screen stuff gets passive aggressive and mean. "Then Geralt greedily bartered for 30 more crowns from the poor townspeople to kill a monster 20 levels below him. Geralt had 25K crowns on him, and no need for the coin, but felt the contract was more important than helping a bro get laid."

D-Pad posted:

I did too. That blond witch with her nipples always showing (can't remember the name) sells a skills reset potion for 1k. I am sure there are some other vendors that do to.

Keira has gone to Kaer Morgan or whatever, but the Skellige druid has a bunch. It's not worth buying for one misspent point right now. Thanks though.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 9, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bemis posted:

Well, the goal is to make your opponent run out of health crystals before you do, but this doesn't mean you need to win the first or second round. Card advantage is everything. Play as many spies as you have. Medics are some of the best cards.

I use a decoy dummy (I forget what they are called) to pick up spies my opponent has played an replay them. If you wait till the next round, you can also use a medic to dredge spied your opponent has played against you. the Decoy can also pick up a your best card if you know a round is lost.

It's okay to lose a round if you can make you opponent over-commit and give you card advantage in the next round. Be careful with this, because once you are up against people with a decent number of medics in their deck, they can repopulate the board (or their hand, if you played spies against them) pretty quickly.

If you've lost against a specific person more than once, you should really just be tailoring your deck to counter them specifically.

edit: The mulligan or "redraw cards" step is pretty important as well. While there's certainly some skill/tactics in the game, a bad hand and you're just screwed. Knowing which cards are the best ones to redraw helps mitigate this to some degree.

Also, I have had pretty good success playing only about 6 special cards. While you are allowed 10, you have to have 22 units, and this makes your deck pretty big. I generally want two weather conditions (excluding the one where I have my heaviest hitters), 2 commanders horns, 1 scorch, and the Decoy. This gives me quite a bit of utility, without the too much chance of drawing specials when I need units.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 9, 2015

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So will i end up going to that huge tree that you can see on your map (and can be seen from most points in Velen) during the story? I just finished the Ladies in the Woods story and arrived in Novigrad which has just taken me the opposite direction of the tree. Did i miss something (i tried going down south in Velen, but the monsters were about 5~10 lvls higher than me, got chased around by a lvl 23 griffin that was just roaming around, so i turned back)?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bemis posted:

The primary path to winning is to have more cards in your hand than your opponent, so that you can still act after the opponent has played their entire hand.

There are a few different ways to accomplishing this. The easiest way is to load your deck with as many spies and play as many of them as you before you play anything else. If the opponent has spies, he'll most likely play his at the same time, and this is your queue to use decoys to bring his spies into your hand so you can also play those. If any of his spies end up in your discard pile after the round, use medics in the next to play them again. Nilfgaard and the Nothern Realms decks are the only decks with spies.

Without spies, it takes a bit more luck and careful play, but is till possible.

Your goal in the first round isn't to win it, but to end it with more cards in your hand than your opponent ("card advantage"). If you feel that you can win it without giving up card advantage, go for it, but passing as soon as it is certain that opponent must end the round with less cards in his hand than you is perfectly fine.

Note that while card advantage is often the deciding factor, an opposing deck that significantly exceeds yours in total points can still force a win through. Card advantage won't help if the cards you have left can't hope to meet the point value that the opponent has already played. If your card collection isn't great, you'll have to rely a lot on special abilities that increase the strength of a card or row of cards, but there's usually quite a few options here and it isn't that hard to find options that synergize well.

e:fb

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Crappy Jack posted:

I should say I was making a joke here and the game doesn't actually do this. Although I haven't actually ever avoiding doing the quest, because I'M NOT A HEARTLESS MONSTER.

Nope.

Sorry Dandelion :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ughhhh posted:

So will i end up going to that huge tree that you can see on your map (and can be seen from most points in Velen) during the story? I just finished the Ladies in the Woods story and arrived in Novigrad which has just taken me the opposite direction of the tree. Did i miss something (i tried going down south in Velen, but the monsters were about 5~10 lvls higher than me, got chased around by a lvl 23 griffin that was just roaming around, so i turned back)?

You'll come back to it, don't worry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bemis posted:

On top of what everyone else said, the Northern or Nilfgaard decks are definitely the easiest path to victory - most likely Northern, since you already have a decent deck of that type from the very start, and because their perk lets you keep that all-important hand advantage on your opponent.

Monster decks are all about overwhelming force, since many Monster cards have a special skill that lets the player instantly play all other cards of that type from their deck; some skilled Monster opponents can have you staring down a 15-card army with like 200 strength. Monster decks have several huge disadvantages, though: there are no Monster-type spies that I know of (so no free draws for you), the cards trend overwhelmingly towards Melee type units (so a Frost card can shut down your whole army), and the Zerg-rush nature of their draws means that they're hilariously vulnerable to Scorch-type cards. If you've got 5 units with 10 Attack on the field, and they're the strongest units out there, then one Scorch or Velletrentenmerth card is all it takes to burn down your whole army. The faction perk is also fairly useless, since Monsters are all about strength in numbers and having one leftover card out on the field isn't going to do much.

Scoia'tael decks also lack spies, have a bloody useless Faction perk, and their unit gimmick (most Scoia'tael units can be placed on either the Ranged or Melee rows) is of limited utility. They've got some really good Medic-type cards, but without the power advantage of Monsters I'd argue they're the worst deck type overall.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
On top of what everyone else said, the weather cards are useless. I've never kept one in my deck, and most of the time the stupid Gwent AI opponent will play a Clear Weather card as one of their last cards. Once you start getting character cards that are not affected by weather or other card abilities, Gwent becomes incredibly easy because you don't have to worry about them being affected by weather or scorched.

Also save your medic cards for 2nd or third round. You can use medic cards to bring back spy cards your opponent has played against you in case you ran out of decoys. You can also decoy medic cards to keep drawing cards from your discard pile. Bring as many medic, decoy, and spy cards as you can. If you can chain something like medic > play opponents spy > get 2 more cards > decoy the medic > replay the medic to play a discarded card, etc you end up with a lot more cards than the opponent and will just overwhelm them.

The AI is also very predictable and you'll start noticing and predicting when they'll pass or when they'll keep throwing out cards on the first round to try to overwhelm you.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm at a point where my Niflgaard deck would be better if I had the loving spies for it. It's got more heroes than my northern deck right now, but the spies really makes the difference.

I just want to throw poo poo out the window though when you play a good Nilfgaard CPU, becuase it's endless spies from them until they dig up their heroes. They're hard to beat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Romes128 posted:

On top of what everyone else said, the weather cards are useless. I've never kept one in my deck, and most of the time the stupid Gwent AI opponent will play a Clear Weather card as one of their last cards. Once you start getting character cards that are not affected by weather or other card abilities, Gwent becomes incredibly easy because you don't have to worry about them being affected by weather or scorched.
Look at this terrible opinion. Biting frost is a great card if you are going to be playing spies (you should be playing spies) or fighting Scoi'atel or Monsters, and can even be useful against Nilfgaard and Northern realms. If you are playing spies (you should) you are giving your opponent melee power and they are likely playing their own. Playing spies gives you card advantage and passes turns, meaning the enemy AI will pass before you, which means you can then play your biting frost knocking their point total down a lot after they pass and cannot clear weather you. Also, if you have card advantage from spies (you should) you should have non-melee cards to play with the plan in mind to play the biting frost.

I still only think you should put on biting frost in your deck, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

I didn't have the heart to tell the old lady what happened to her son.

I was honest with her in my second go-around, and I think she appreciated it more since she got to read his final letters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

Look at this terrible opinion. Biting frost is a great card if you are going to be playing spies (you should be playing spies) or fighting Scoi'atel or Monsters, and can even be useful against Nilfgaard and Northern realms. If you are playing spies (you should) you are giving your opponent melee power and they are likely playing their own. Playing spies gives you card advantage and passes turns, meaning the enemy AI will pass before you, which means you can then play your biting frost knocking their point total down a lot after they pass and cannot clear weather you. Also, if you have card advantage from spies (you should) you should have non-melee cards to play with the plan in mind to play the biting frost.

eh I'm not sure it's worth it's card pool dilution, you aren't really going to play spies in the last round anyway when it would matter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spy round is the round you lose by playing only spies so that you can murder the ai on turns 2 and 3. don't try to win a spy round unless the ai does something dumb

gaint bomb is mad that there's an update coming. they're like how dare they ship this game with a sub par inventory. loving hacks.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I found Biting Frost to be pretty useful, especially against the Monster deck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, hero cards are a bit overrated. They are good, but they aren't affected by commanders horn effects, and they can't be the target of medics. This means you often end up putting significantly less power on the board during the match than you would if you had non-heroes of the same value. Some heroes are good though, since they aren't impacted by weather or scorch.

Scorch avoidance is a whole nother thing. If you know that your opponent is a playing scorch, you either have to sacrifice some stuff to bait it out, or play around it. You can protect your power base from scorch by keep most of your units below the power level of the biggest unit. If you are used to using the tight bond effect, scorch can be a huge wakeup call, because those 3 blue stripe commandos with a commanders horn can just go poof and you have nothing.

God I wish there was multiplayer gwent.

edit:

Real hurthling! posted:

Spy round is the round you lose by playing only spies so that you can murder the ai on turns 2 and 3. don't try to win a spy round unless the ai does something dumb
This actually happens quite a bit. if the AI doesn't drop spies right away, and you play 2, it will often pass early, because it sees a board state where it's winning like 17 to 0. When this happens, you can often win the first round with 3 or less cards that aren't crucial (or can be mediced back), and then you're still up 1 card with a victory under your belt.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 9, 2015

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
Thank you for all the tips. I have one last question: I am near the end of the game and skipped Gwent because I was bad at it. Do I need to go back and do certain areas in order to build my deck up? I have been trying lately to get any card I can by visiting innkeepers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Also, hero cards are a bit overrated. They are good, but they aren't affected by commanders horn effects, and they can't be the target of medics. This means you often end up putting significantly less power on the board during the match than you would if you had non-heroes of the same value. Some heroes are good though, since they aren't impacted by weather or scorch.

Scorch avoidance is a whole nother thing. If you know that your opponent is a playing scorch, you either have to sacrifice some stuff to bait it out, or play around it. You can protect your power base from scorch by keep most of your units below the power level of the biggest unit. If you are used to using the tight bond effect, scorch can be a huge wakeup call, because those 3 blue stripe commandos with a commanders horn can just go poof and you have nothing.

God I wish there was multiplayer gwent.

edit:

This actually happens quite a bit. if the AI doesn't drop spies right away, and you play 2, it will often pass early, because it sees a board state where it's winning like 17 to 0. When this happens, you can often win the first round with 3 or less cards that aren't crucial (or can be mediced back), and then you're still up 1 card with a victory under your belt.

weather effects would be better if they made units immune to scorch

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bemis posted:

Thank you for all the tips. I have one last question: I am near the end of the game and skipped Gwent because I was bad at it. Do I need to go back and do certain areas in order to build my deck up? I have been trying lately to get any card I can by visiting innkeepers.

As far as I can tell, every person who you can play gwent against will give you a card the first time you beat them. But you can't get more that one card from anyone, so once you've beat someone just move on. There are also cards available to purchase, so you should check every merchant once to see if they have any cards (or look it up online). The Gwent quest lines will have you playing against local champions for their unique cards.

Real hurthling! posted:

weather effects would be better if they made units immune to scorch
Holy poo poo, i've never seen scorch played on a table with all 1s...

I think weather effects are fine as they are. I really like the design philosophy of Gwent. It's mechanically simple but strategically complex.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 9, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Crappy Jack posted:

If there's ever a witcher 4, I'm stealing this idea shamelessly.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

Makes sense, but you should really be letting the opponent burn through cards the first round. They'll always go through their spies, and in the case of monsters or scoi'atel, play those cards to try and overwhelm you. It's best to let them so they go into the second and third rounds with as little cards as possible. While you're throwing out spies and decoys to get the card advantage for the next two rounds. I usually never expect to win the first round against monsters or scoi'atel,so I don't carry biting frost. But it is a good strategy though!

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 9, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I found Biting Frost to be pretty useful, especially against the Monster deck.
Its worth having one in just for Villentretenmerth coming out and burning down their entire line.

Snak posted:

They're also high value early on. A beginning deck is going to get a lot of mileage out of heroes, but you should fade them out as you get more powerful "basic" cards and medics. Right now my heroes consist of Geralt, Ciri, Yen, Avallac'h, and that Nilf hero medic. Personally, I think the Triss card should get a ranged scorch effect similar to Villentretenmerth to make it not basically one of the worst cards in the game. It wouldn't be as fun as Nilf decks mercilessly resurrecting that dragon to keep scorching any melee cards available, but it'd still be worth bringing to the table.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Palpek posted:

On one hand Triss got together with Geralt in the absence of Yen but on the other she did everything she could to bring Geralt's memories back. She knew it would probably mean a break up but she did it anyway. Also it's not that this was the first time - Geralt was involved with her in the books even when he had his full memory. She was abandoned for another woman and never got over the fact. I've always seen her actions in TW1 and 2 as living out the dream of being with Geralt that was once taken from her but also knowing that one day it will end. It's not like she was magically keeping Geralt with her - Yen was missing and he was happy with Triss. There's not really much reason to hate either Yen or Triss. They both have character and history with Geralt and it's up to you if you even want to be romantically involved with any of them.

Keep in mind Triss explicitly abuses Geralt's amnesia to get with him. It's not just like "Oh he forgot Yen, maybe he will like me now!" it's straight up "oh when someone mentions he was with a sorceress before the amnesia, I will act like it was me", and tricking him.

Also (though this part is simply conjecture) don't forget that the spell Phillipa casts on Saskia uses a rose of rememberance, and it wasn't just straight mind control. The spell was described as making Saskia love Phillipa more than anything else in the world. Triss ostensibly wanted to use the rose to restore Geralt's memories (which he got back just fine without), but could have had a more... sinister purpose?

Anyway Yen rules triss drools peace out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
CDPR, please patch in the ability to romance Roche. This will get rid of all the Yen/Triss talk since everyone will go for the obvious choice.

Thanks.