Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

:lol: Yeah it is.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Sea Lioning is from this comic which really makes it odd that its been used to describe GG. Is the sea lion wrong to call out prejudice against him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is perfectly okay to filter out sea lioning. Twitter users are not obligated to accept political discourse being messaged to them.

Note that what is even sea-lioning or not is not a distinction any singular member of the Blockbot bubble gets to determine. That call is being made by someone else, who isn't making that call just to filter out harassment and isn't being very effective at that even if they were, according to the reports mentioned.

It's not a good thing.

Perhaps especially with this brand spanking new Sea-Lioning crime, which as I understand it is someone attempting to civilly discuss an issue with someone who doesn't want to discuss it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Circ Dick Soleil why are you being so weird and asking for proof like a weirdo? Why can't you just listen and believe everything GamerGate has to say?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

To normal people, this is proof that you are batshit crazy true believer. These do not substantiate your claims. Did you even read what you linked?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Nonsense posted:

:lol: Yeah it is.

No.

When you mention a political or "controversial topic" on a twitter when you have a decent amount of followers, you are going to get more than a Fav or an RT. You are going to get people tweeting back saying something in disagreement to you. It's the nature of a public social media platform and why big celebrities have people who manage their accounts.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Can you provide some evidence to back up this post?

quote:

4 twitter users were turned away by Burch before he left Gearbox because they replied to that tweet. He bragged about it. He later bragged about how the company he worked for was loving over Sega with regard to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Which caused him to "resign" and Sega filed a lawsuit against Gearbox.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Indeed. Though my response was to your statement:

Which sounds as if you'd be fine with such a thing, were they doing it.

I'm generally pretty on the side of "what you do in your private time is none of your employer's (or prospective employer's) business," but the reality is that employers can and do see the things you post publicly on the internet. Therefore if you can't get a job in a given industry because the people in that business who would hire you can readily see you being a maladjusted shitlord to total strangers, no I'm not going to shed any tears for you.

But also, in that post I was specifically responding to the idea that companies using a blocklist is the same as The House Committee on Un-American activities, which is ridiculous

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Snark posted:

Note that what is even sea-lioning or not is not a distinction any singular member of the Blockbot bubble gets to determine. That call is being made by someone else, who isn't making that call just to filter out harassment and isn't being very effective at that even if they were, according to the reports mentioned.

It's not a good thing.

Perhaps especially with this brand spanking new Sea-Lioning crime, which as I understand it is someone attempting to civilly discuss an issue with someone who doesn't want to discuss it.

Yes. You do not need to talk with people if you do not want to. It can be a good thing, and necessary if you're a public figure, but you do not need to have your social media rendered unusable.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Did you even read what you linked?

Yes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't even know what the gently caress is going on in this thread anymore, who the gently caress brought up sea lions. I'm saying there have been literal threads on SA with dudes pretending they have balls that get crushed sitting like a normal human being.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

circ dick soleil posted:

Circ Dick Soleil why are you being so weird and asking for proof like a weirdo? Why can't you just listen and believe everything GamerGate has to say?

People are showing you proof and then you move your goal posts or change the subject. Like I don't agree with Flu about the seriousness of this but you are just being obnoxious about being proven slightly wrong.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm generally pretty on the side of "what you do in your private time is none of your employer's (or prospective employer's) business," but the reality is that employers can and do see the things you post publicly on the internet. Therefore if you can't get a job in a given industry because the people in that business who would hire you can readily see you being a maladjusted shitlord to total strangers, no I'm not going to shed any tears for you.

So it's ok to try and get people fired for a joke they told online?

You know how many times they got the wrong dude fired and why this view is seen as hosed up?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

circ dick soleil posted:

I can't help but think you're projecting like hell on this topic. Any narrative from on high is definitely not pro-gamergate, they didn't coin the phrase 'Listen and Believe', it wasn't a series of loosely synched articles calling Social Justice dead and that Law and Order episode didn't feature Social Justice zealots going on a shotgun rampage in a gamer convention.

Serf
May 5, 2011

circ dick soleil posted:

It's funny that Gamergate hates the "listen and believe" thing so much when that's pretty much exactly what they do. It's how you end up with wild rumors like "Zoe Quinn is a billionaire who murdered a man", "Brianna Wu is transgender" or "Anita Sarkeesian is just a meat puppet for Jonathan McIntosh." If it gets said by enough GGers or a high-profile one, no one questions it, it just becomes fact. Well, some GGers do express skepticism or call out the lies, but they get no traction.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

People are showing you proof and then you move your goal posts or change the subject. Like I don't agree with Flu about the seriousness of this but you are just being obnoxious about being proven slightly wrong.

He said 4 people were prevented from working at poo poo developer GearBox because of professionally unemployed man Anthony Burch.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ok, then you should have no trouble using that evidence to prove your points, right? Because you read the tweets, for real.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Do you understand that you can say that segregated classrooms benefit minority and female students and not be pro-segregation?

Do you think that Morehouse is pro-segregation?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Please gas this thread, there is nothing but pedantry left.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

I don't think it's super serious. I just find the hypocrisy "bad when they do it, good we we do it" mindset really hosed up.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

NutritiousSnack posted:

Since when does asking for proof of something equate to moving goalposts? Fluo claimed that people were fired because they were blocked on Twitter. I would like to see proof of that instead of blindly believing whatever GamerGate supporters tell me. And in what way have I been proven "slightly wrong" about this?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Obdicut posted:

Do you understand that you can say that segregated classrooms benefit minority and female students and not be pro-segregation?

Do you think that Morehouse is pro-segregation?

It doesn't benefit minorities though and she didn't say that it did.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Please gas this thread, there is nothing but pedantry left.

Did you just notice the traces of mental instability by this point?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Yes. You do not need to talk with people if you do not want to. It can be a good thing, and necessary if you're a public figure, but you do not need to have your social media rendered unusable.

I think you can still easily tweet and read replies by people you follow actually. It takes less energy than to hit or install a blockbot.

It's obvious that it was done entirely to avoid having someone tell you they disagree on your twitter account, which is perfectly fine but underlines how unimportant what they were actually mad about was.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Now "women" are winning the world cup. This is the world you wanted SJW's, hope you enjoy it.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nonsense posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress is going on in this thread anymore, who the gently caress brought up sea lions. I'm saying there have been literal threads on SA with dudes pretending they have balls that get crushed sitting like a normal human being.

Wait, you've never sat on your balls before by sitting down too quickly into a desk chair? It's unpleasant, but it happens.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Serf posted:

It's funny that Gamergate hates the "listen and believe" thing so much when that's pretty much exactly what they do. It's how you end up with wild rumors like "Zoe Quinn is a billionaire who murdered a man", "Brianna Wu is transgender" or "Anita Sarkeesian is just a meat puppet for Jonathan McIntosh." If it gets said by enough GGers or a high-profile one, no one questions it, it just becomes fact. Well, some GGers do express skepticism or call out the lies, but they get no traction.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is just not the same. The thing that isn't the same still doesn't matter, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

That seems like way more of a comment about how Burch never got poo poo on for his "ethical violations" to the extent of someone like Jenn Frank or even Felicia Day, despite having much more blatant ties; he used to work at Game Trailers and Destructoid, his sister's a professional VA, and he had enough stroke at Volition that they let him borrow the Penetrator for a "Hey, Ash" video. None of this is even remotely hidden.

If you were actually going to go after somebody over "ethics in games journalism," Burch would be a natural target, but in the event people do poo poo on him it's to talk poo poo about his marriage breaking up.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Someone at my friend's job sat on their balls and had to go to the hospital. This was at a government-contracted engineering firm, and it resulted in lots of long, official emails about ergonomic safety, as well as a 3 hour safety meeting for the entire office (male and female).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

Did you just notice the traces of mental instability by this point?

We've had meme pictures as arguments, I don't think there's much to salvage.

e: Like this interminable derail about whether or not this AGGer got people fired through twitter fuckery.

e2:

Wanderer posted:

That seems like way more of a comment about how Burch never got poo poo on for his "ethical violations" to the extent of someone like Jenn Frank or even Felicia Day, despite having much more blatant ties; he used to work at Game Trailers and Destructoid, his sister's a professional VA, and he had enough stroke at Volition that they let him borrow the Penetrator for a "Hey, Ash" video. None of this is even remotely hidden.

If you were actually going to go after somebody over "ethics in games journalism," Burch would be a natural target, but in the event people do poo poo on him it's to talk poo poo about his marriage breaking up.

It's wanting to suppress those people. Those people who make things bad for you.

(This is also applicable to AGG, but with more justification).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 9, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Not attempting to sit fellas. People actively sitting down say in buses, but spread their legs taking up multiple seats.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wanderer posted:

That seems like way more of a comment about how Burch never got poo poo on for his "ethical violations"

He was and is

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fluo posted:

"a joke"

quote:

[You know how many times they got the wrong dude fired?

I don't. Why don't you enlighten me? :allears:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

StashAugustine posted:

how the gently caress does any of this matter

Because AAA games are totally super important vehicles for social issues that will Change The World (tm) and not mass-market consumer products requiring untold millions to make and market, priced at the better part of a $100 bill.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Fluo posted:

It doesn't benefit minorities though and she didn't say that it did.

It does, and the link she was responded to was about a study showing that.

The reason why segregated classrooms--not 1950s era segregated educational systems, but segregated classrooms--benefit minority and female students is because in mixed classrooms, white students and men are privileged by the teachers over the minority and the female students.

I have already explained this to you. Do you understand the concept? is there any part of it that you don't get?

bloodysabbath posted:

Because AAA games are totally super important vehicles for social issues that will Change The World (tm) and not mass-market consumer products requiring untold millions to make and market, priced at the better part of a $100 bill.

Hey did you ever find your source for the claim that Sarkeesian et al. are all actually from super-rich families?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fluo posted:

I just want to be sure you know but in any sort of professional setting you do actually have to be careful about what you say online. This isn't exclusive to games but "it was a joke" isn't a defense to your HR department, nor does a company want to be associate with someone who causes controversy for them by making offensive jokes.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Not attempting to sit fellas. People actively sitting down say in buses, but spread their legs taking up multiple seats.

Women do it and...get this...put their purses and bags on other seats. But get this, and this is the amazing part, when the bus fills up both women and men stop taking up space and let other people sit next to them.

loving amazing.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hulk Krogan posted:

But also, in that post I was specifically responding to the idea that companies using a blocklist is the same as The House Committee on Un-American activities, which is ridiculous

The bolded is actually what concerns me about this blocklist. From what I've read in this thread, it adds you to the list if it even detects that you follow a set number of "known" GamerGaters and has nothing to do with your actual posting habits. That could very easily catch innocent people who don't belong there, and to get it removed you have to prostrate yourself to some hipster and "prove" yourself? gently caress that.

For example; I'm not a fan of Anita Sarkeesian's work, but I follow her to see what new idiocy she or Macintosh will spew forth next. If GamerGate had a blocklist, I'm sure I'd be on there for the people I watch the tweets of.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fluo posted:

4 twitter users were turned away by Burch before he left Gearbox because they replied to that tweet. He bragged about it. He later bragged about how the company he worked for was loving over Sega with regard to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Which caused him to "resign" and Sega filed a lawsuit against Gearbox.

So, are you going to provide evidence for any of these claims? Or is that "taking it too seriously"?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I just want to be sure you know but in any sort of professional setting you do actually have to be careful about what you say online. This isn't exclusive to games but "it was a joke" isn't a defense to your HR department, nor does a company want to be associate with someone who causes controversy for them by making offensive jokes.

So the fact Alex, Harper, and Burch are unemployed for stupid statements they've said is good and normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Women do it and...get this...put their purses and bags on other seats. But get this, and this is the amazing part, when the bus fills up both women and men stop taking up space and let other people sit next to them.

loving amazing.

You've never ridden the bus, nor know what I'm talking about, and you brought loving womendoittoo!!1 and purses. Be silent dog.

• Locked thread