Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Jackass sent an email to an external party saying if they need help they can contact Stripe at such and such number. Yeah how about you tell them to email me not call me and also that's my personal cell phone number, way to double down idiot.

I'm not terribly put out because I pretty much don't answer numbers I don't recognize at this point. I spend half my day on the phone, why add to my misery by answering other calls. Guy with a Georgia area code called me twice in quick succession today - hmm, that must have been important. Not so important that he left a message though, so I'll sleep fine tonight.

Who even leaves messages? I don't know how to check my messages anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Jerry Cotton posted:

If someone from work or someone I don't know calls me and doesn't leave a message, I assume it wasn't important, so I don't call back. If you want me to return your call, then you can take ten seconds to actually tell me that. Similarly, if I'm calling someone and it either isn't important or I'm just going to call somebody else instead if they don't pick up, I don't bother leaving a message; I'll only leave a voicemail if I need them to get back to me ASAP.

Also, even my ancient LG Optimus has a voicemail icon right there on the phone that automatically logs in and plays back your voicemail messages, so if you actually don't know how to check your cell phone voicemail, I'm not sure what to tell ya...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dennyk posted:

If someone from work or someone I don't know calls me and doesn't leave a message, I assume it wasn't important, so I don't call back. If you want me to return your call, then you can take ten seconds to actually tell me that. Similarly, if I'm calling someone and it either isn't important or I'm just going to call somebody else instead if they don't pick up, I don't bother leaving a message; I'll only leave a voicemail if I need them to get back to me ASAP.

Also, even my ancient LG Optimus has a voicemail icon right there on the phone that automatically logs in and plays back your voicemail messages, so if you actually don't know how to check your cell phone voicemail, I'm not sure what to tell ya...

Well as it turns out, I don't have an ancient LG Optimus.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

After a bit of looking around there's an answering machine icon under the call icon (as in on the screen you get when you touch it) but it asks me for a number which I don't have so gently caress that poo poo.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not terribly put out because I pretty much don't answer numbers I don't recognize at this point. I spend half my day on the phone, why add to my misery by answering other calls. Guy with a Georgia area code called me twice in quick succession today - hmm, that must have been important. Not so important that he left a message though, so I'll sleep fine tonight.

I talk to my grandparents and to a single coworker on the phone. Everyone else can just email me.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I got rid of my voicemail entirely. Everyone I know and work with knows that if it's important, I'll get to it faster if they email.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I got rid of my voicemail entirely. Everyone I know and work with knows that if it's important, I'll get to it faster if they email.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurareston/2015/06/03/jpmorgan-chase-deals-latest-blow-to-a-dying-technology-voicemail/

More and more companies are removing voicemail entirely. Aside from a few older coworkers who insist on leaving a voicemail instead of emailing, or even worse older bosses insisting you leave a voicemail "to let them know were serious", I have zero use for it. Anyone I've worked with under 35 never uses it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurareston/2015/06/03/jpmorgan-chase-deals-latest-blow-to-a-dying-technology-voicemail/

More and more companies are removing voicemail entirely. Aside from a few older coworkers who insist on leaving a voicemail instead of emailing, or even worse older bosses insisting you leave a voicemail "to let them know were serious", I have zero use for it. Anyone I've worked with under 35 never uses it.

Good! There is nothing more annoying than a 4 minute rambling voicemail message that I could read in 20 seconds if they just loving wrote it down.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Theoretically, I can request a phone line, but the only people I can think of who would actually need a desk phone are sales people and such. Everyone else can just use one of the many phone rooms and meeting rooms.

The only voicemail I've gotten to work phones ever have either been meant for someone else, or recruiters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're about halfway through the working day, and our support dept. of 3 full-time staff and 1 part-time guy has managed to resolve one ticket out of a queue of 70.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do you do with people who refuse to fill out helpdesk tickets and either:

Call IT staff directly
Email IT staff directly
Walk up to IT staff desk and interrupt them

.45 is not an option

It's not just the interruption/scheduling/prioritization, it's the fact that I get people bugging my idiot AS/400 admin about Windows issues or browser things that he knows jack poo poo about and he ends up wasting 2 hours clearing cookies because that's all he knows how to do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Call IT staff directly
Email IT staff directly

.45 is not an option

It's not just the interruption/scheduling/prioritization, it's the fact that I get people bugging my idiot AS/400 admin about Windows issues or browser things that he knows jack poo poo about and he ends up wasting 2 hours clearing cookies because that's all he knows how to do.

Report to their bosses that they are breaking company policy in a way that affects business negatively

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

It's actually a 'THIS SITE IS HOSTING MALWARE' issue

https://www.servicechannel.com

I just have to re-explain that the vendor needs to 'fix' the site over and over and over

Oh hey we got a response!

quote:

From: Siddarth Shetty | VP, Global Services <thefixx@servicechannel-info.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:01 PM
To: Cust. Service Service E-Mail Forward
Subject: Important Message From ServiceChannel

Valued ServiceChannel Partner,

We believe our ServiceHealth communication about today's issue with our public website may not have reached all our partners. We would like to provide an update on the issue.

This morning, ServiceChannel's corporate website was affected by malware which resulted in a Google warning to appear on all ServiceChannel pages including login pages and email notes.

It is important to note that this issue only affected our corporate website that we manage and host in a different environment than our applications and your data. ServiceChannel's applications and your data were NOT compromised. However, Google chose to include all ServiceChannel pages on a warning list.

We would like to assure you that the security of ServiceChannel's applications, including your branded websites and data, is not compromised, and you could choose to bypass the warning message.

We understand this is an inconvenience, but we assure you that ServiceChannel continues to have the same security standards that you have come to trust.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will continue to communicate and keep you informed as new information is available.

Regards,

Siddarth Shetty
Vice President, Global Services

ServiceChannel
18 E 16th St, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10003

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

quote:

We understand this is an inconvenience, but we assure you that ServiceChannel continues to have the same security standards that you have come to trust.
Weird that they assume you've come to trust them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Call IT staff directly
Tell them to log a ticket, then hang up.

Bob Morales posted:

Email IT staff directly
Tell them to log a ticket, then ignore it.

Bob Morales posted:

Tell them to log a ticket. If they refuse, tell their boss that they're not following company procedure.

edit: I forgot the most important part. Make sure the user-facing interface of your ticketing system is as clean and easy as possible. Don't show a dozen fields to the user. It should be like an email. Affected user, optional subject, problem description is all you need. The worst enemy of getting people to submit tickets is making ticket entry a confusing chore to fill out.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 9, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If they get really annoying, you can always give them the line "No ticket, no fix-it."

It might just be a Zendesk thing, but we have an email address set up that we get about 80% of our tickets sent in through. The web interface is also pretty simple. What is it impacting, what is your email address, phone number, and site location. Then a brief description, and we take it from there.

Really the most important thing is we don't give them the option to select priority. Otherwise everything would be high priority.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

edit: I forgot the most important part. Make sure the user-facing interface of your ticketing system is as clean and easy as possible. Don't show a dozen fields to the user. It should be like an email. Affected user, optional subject, problem description is all you need. The worst enemy of getting people to submit tickets is making ticket entry a confusing chore to fill out.
Yea, we have a super simple form for them to use, or they can just email helpdesk@

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Call IT staff directly
Email IT staff directly

.45 is not an option

This is your AS/400 admin's fault.

"I'm sorry, my time is being managed by my boss, but if you open a ticket we'll get someone to handle it as soon as we can! :)"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Continuing the poo poo that pisses me off diary about my current job: The management structure.

My current position is on a helldesk for a global financial services focused company. That being said we have two central managers and a pair of support desk supervisors

The weekend guy is chill as all hell and you can actually ask him questions and expect a partway decent answer. The weekday guy who I have the displeasure working with is one hell of a headache. Despite being a "Supervisor" he doesn't have really any important powers aside from being able to say "I've dropped an email in your box for you to work on." He also doesn't care about if you're working something, are on an hour long call, or otherwise engaged and will check in on if you've performed work on that mail. Normally I'd say okay to this all, but he self professedly doesn't read anything he touches.

The worst thing is, you can't ask him any question without getting a smarmy reply or just a simple I dunno on any of the products, services, and/or clients we have. Not where I could look for additional information aside from "Google it" just... UGH.

The Department manager is great, I like him, but he's the gatekeeper for anything escalations or even talking to the client specific team. This is normally okay, but he gets/uses different timeoff than we do and a heck of a lot of it. He also leaves halfway through my shift so I may or may not be allowed to escalate something until he gets back on/responds to email or wait an hour, whichever comes first.

The worst thing in all of it is that our mile long list of proceedures and mandatory action items are subjectto change at their whims, and they change often. I'm frustrated, but I sholuld have seen all of this coming.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mrit posted:

As someone who has ADHD/Sleep disorder, these two almost always coexist. One is probably causing the other.
Go to a doctor that had good reviews and specializes in ADHD. My new doctor is helping me with my sleep issues instead of throwing pills at me, and I feel even better than when I started my meds.

Yeah, my armchair doctoring has confirmed this as well. I've seen a sleep doctor before and gotten a sleep study done, which showed that basically I have no breathing problems, so it's some kind of brain problem most likely. I started Adderall on Tuesday and told the doctor about the sleep stuff too. So my plan is that once we get the Adderall dosage right to focus on the sleep stuff too.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Tell them to log a ticket. If they refuse, tell their boss that they're not following company procedure.

All of this is spot on, but I'd to add that this only works if you have support from management on it. You need management on your side to deal with divas, other managers, and any other people who think they are too important to follow policy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

...brain problem...

BRAAAAAAAAINS!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Obamacare was all the reason companies needed to save a bundle on health care by gutting coverage and then passing the blame

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Good! There is nothing more annoying than a 4 minute rambling voicemail message that I could read in 20 seconds if they just loving wrote it down.

Honestly, I'll take a 4 minute message that at least has some details about what they want over the guy who leaves me messages that says "Call me about X", where X is usually a really vague subject. Yes, I really want to "call you about reports" when we have 50 different reports you could be running and I don't know if you want a new report, have a question about an old one, or just want to chat.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been guilty of leaving rambling voicemails because I had a complicated, temporally sensitive problem worked out in my brain and I needed to dump it before moving on to other work. Voicemail is a scourge tho

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Well, let me know if you change your mind. I thought you were applying for a place near Penn station?

Oh, I am. And I may end up taking you up on the offer once I get rid of my cripplingly goony combo of shyness towards strangers and laziness outside of working hours. These days all I want to do is go home and dive into my hobbies. I cook (my wife always likes it when I have days so frustrating that I want to come home and cook something), I build models, and sleep.

I'm indeed applying for a place near Penn. It went very well on Monday. They said they'd be in touch with the recruiter to schedule me to come back for another round. The recruiter's been gently pushing with no luck thus far.

stubblyhead posted:

I understand your perspective and your desire to be loyal to your colleague, but this is 100% Not Your Problem.

Oh, I'm in full agreement. Either by lack of will or financial restriction my boss can't back me up, and gently caress the company for the latter, gently caress him for the former. It's more in the context of if I was to FMLA and negotiate an exit, it'd at least give him a chance to save face going forward - "so MJP quit but we just hired this guy/girl to replace him, and we did so with enough time to get training in" or something like that. My thoughts are if I do go through with this negotiated exit (still in a pipe dream phase and not likely, just a possibility) that if I give him and HR ammo to make an agreeable situation out of a disagreeable one, it'd help them come around.

Ynglaur posted:

Apologies if i came across like an rear end. Having that large a swing is definitely odd, even in a market like SMB with sharply rising premiums.

None needed! No rear end come-acrossingness happened, at least not to me. I just wanted to point out the ludicrous and unpredictable nature of healthcare costs and how they get passed along to employees in the Freedom America States of USA.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Jackass sent an email to an external party saying if they need help they can contact Stripe at such and such number. Yeah how about you tell them to email me not call me and also that's my personal cell phone number, way to double down idiot.

Get put out, immediately. Email the guy, cc his boss and the department director, and demand he put out a retraction and clarify the correct support procedures, and that number was mistakenly distributed and not to be called.

I refused to give my personal cell # to the company directory given how much people call each other here on their personal phones. No way am I going to work after 5:30 PM unless there's an issue that warrants it, I'm on call, or there's an infrastructure change, etc.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Given my current disillusionment towards my current job I've just stopped picking up the phone for anyone. Internal or external. If it matters, they leave a voice mail. If it's important, they leave a voice mail and send me an email.

CEO? Didn't pick up. Seriously. I used to drop everything and run after it but I continued doing what I was doing. I'm still here. He didn't leave a voice mail. Huzzah!

Bob Morales posted:

Call IT staff directly
Email IT staff directly

.45 is not an option

This has always happened at my current place and management made no moves to discourage it. When it was just me, I started logging stuff in a spreadsheet: date of interruption, time, person interrupting, brief description of the issue, whether a ticket was opened before/during/after the interruption, whether or not it was a legitimate company IT issue (as opposed to what laptop should I get, etc.)

Some interesting statistics came forth. In the end it did nothing to expedite hiring, but it might be useful to break things down into numbers, or put these into some kind of graph in other cases. It was roughly over the course of one month.

quote:

As of the writing of this email, there were 70 non-ticket interactions: walk-ups, calls, IMs, questions at the coffee machine, etc.

24 of these were not related to actual IT issues - moving boxes, questions about mobile devices, %companyname% processes/procedures, etc.

46 of these were related to actual IT issues.

All percentages are rounded down to the nearest full percentage point.

Of the 46 IT issues that were non-ticket interactions:
-27 never had a ticket opened at all (58% of all non-ticket interactions)
-4 had tickets opened in advance with someone interacting asking for expedited service/questions related to the ticket (8%)
-15 had tickets opened after the fact (32%)
-42 were completed without a ticket being open beforehand (91%)

Of the 24 non-specific interactions:
-10 were %boss% requesting me to perform a task that could not have been done by a normal helpdesk person (41% of all non-specific interactions)
-14 were not %boss% and could have been handled by a normal helpdesk analyst (58%)
-0 had tickets opened (100%)

Of all interactions:
-51 had no ticket opened at any point in time by anyone involved (72%)
-60 could have been handled at a helpdesk level (85%)
-10 were related to sysadmin experience/requirements (14%)

About a week later I pulled some reports from Zendesk and compiled them accordingly. They further reiterated the actual ticketing count. And had charts. Of course, it did nothing to help. But if you don't have management buy-in it never hurts to have some kind of reporting to get them to enforce policies on ticket openings.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity: is income like that taxable there (I know it is here in Finland)?

It's essentially just store credit, so no.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Call IT staff directly
Email IT staff directly

.45 is not an option

If it's massively business/time critical, I'll take the call/walkup whatever. Otherwise I treat anything e-mailed/phoned/walked up to me as merely a suggestion as to what I should be doing with my time, much like if someone wandered up to me and said "You should really check out *sports team*". I do nudge them towards submitting a ticket though. If they refuse, gently caress it. It's not my printer that's broken.

The ticket queue is my work log. Period. It's what I work out of. Not e-mail, not phone, not smoke messages.

Or just setup your ticket system with it's own e-mail address. All you have to do at my company is send an e-mail to support@companyname.org and blammo ticket created.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 9, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So we (not the IT dept) purchased a lovely piece of combo hardware*/software by some amateur guys, in order to save money.
That's fine.

What's not too fine is that heir software has no ability to store data in a SQL server. They use MDB files.
So we told them that and they came back to us with an "ASCII file" for us to use with a script I have to create that will insert that data into our SQL db.

Here's their format:

code:
DOC Data Text File Ver 1.0
TimeStamp: 23/06/2015 2:36:01pm
Part: G1

SampleInfo
Supervisor: "G. Smith"
Operator: "R. Latour"
Line: 5
Part_to_Print: Yes
Supervisor_Notified: n/a
DENSE: n/a
SPONGE: n/a
Alpha: 5.76453
FirstName: "Joe"
LastName: "White"
Employee#: 1853
Comment:"This is where comments would be"

Measurement Data
SubDatum: DatAB
ToolName Actual PassFail
Dim1 2.48876 Fail
Dim2 26.31479 Pass

SubDatum: DatBC
ToolName Actual PassFail
Dim3 2.08657 Fail
Dim4 28.33279 Pass

EOF
Maybe I don't know poo poo, but is this even a recognizable format? It resembles nothing.

So I emailed them back, saying "Please use JSON or XML" and I even gave them this sample:

code:
{
	"timestamp": "23/06/2015 2:36:01pm",
	"part": "G1",
	"sampleInfo": {
		"supervisor": "Jon G",
		"Operator": "R. Latour",
		"Line": "5",
		"Part_to_Print": "Yes",
		"Supervisor_Notified": "n/a",
		"DENSE": "n/a",
		"SPONGE": "n/a",
		"Alpha": "5.76453",
		"FirstName": "Joe",
		"LastName": "White",
		"Employee#": "1853",
		"Comment":"This is where comments would be"
	},
	"measurementData": {
					{"SubDatum": "DataAB",
					 "Dim1": ["2.48876","fail"],
					 "Dim2": ["26.31479","pass"],
					 "Dim3": ["6.30479","pass"],
					},
					{"SubDatum": "DataBC",
					 "Dim1": ["2.08876","fail"],
					 "Dim2": ["2.32179","pass"],
					 "Dim3": ["4.31479","pass"],
					},	
					{"SubDatum": "DataXY",
					 "Dim1": ["2.08876","fail"],
					 "Dim2": ["2.32179","pass"],
					 "Dim3": ["4.31479","pass"],
					},	
	}

}
They emailed me back saying that "most of our customers prefer the ASCII format".
I replied saying to please give it to me in XML or JSON format. Waiting to see what they come back with.

* the "hardware" is a lower tier DELL desktop with all bloatware still on it and zero restrictions - they knew this computer will be sitting on the plant floor to be used as a kiosk

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

At least you don't have to pull it over a serial connection. I got to hack up a python program that pulls test results from a $20,000 electronics tester

Engineering: "We need the data from this testing machine in a streamlined way"

What format you want it in? Where do you want to put it?

Engineering: "We don't know"

Cool I'll guess I'll have it done for you today then

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

bobmarleysghost posted:

They emailed me back saying that "most of our customers prefer the ASCII format".

You should hunt down those customers and sell them a customized import solution to replace the people they're paying a salary to manually enter that stuff by hand.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

At least you don't have to pull it over a serial connection. I got to hack up a python program that pulls test results from a $20,000 electronics tester

~*just make it happen okay*~

Ursine Asylum posted:

You should hunt down those customers and sell them a customized import solution to replace the people they're paying a salary to manually enter that stuff by hand.

Holy poo poo! Yes!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

They will have a stream of 0s and 1s in a line

Boom, a streamlined way

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Turns out the AC needed charging, which is why it was running for so drat long and never seemed to be cooling the place. Just had the AC kick on 5 minutes ago and it cooled the place down nicely and shut off quickly. Hopefully that will take a bite out of the electricity bill next month.

If your AC needs charging, it's leaking. Make sure they filled it with some UV dye in so next time it happens, they can figure out where its leaking from.

Hopefully it was just an old unit, but prepare for it to happen again.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
For some reason this video reminded me what it was like to work on a big roll out of new desktops for users...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNSQ__AHt4g

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Boss: We have like 8 security certificates to renew this month.
Me: Why don't we just get a wildcard?
Boss: I don't think they would work in our environment.

I understand that there are some downsides to wildcards, but it seems better than juggling like 15 normal certificates. Am I off base here?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

I understand that there are some downsides to wildcards, but it seems better than juggling like 15 normal certificates. Am I off base here?

If you are buying separate certificates for subdomains: That's dumb as gently caress.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I started Adderall on Tuesday and told the doctor about the sleep stuff too. So my plan is that once we get the Adderall dosage right to focus on the sleep stuff too.

Adderall is the tits. It's made my life so much better since I started on it 3-4 years ago. My only regret is not starting sooner.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

beepsandboops posted:

Just got a wildcard cert today for the new place. :toot:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you are buying separate certificates for subdomains: That's dumb as gently caress.
Yes, yes it is. I would think with the cost savings and ease of management it would be an easy sell, but for whatever loving reason nobody will give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My cell phone number is xxx-888-yyyy

There is a cell phone insurance claim line that has the same yyyy numbers as my cell phone.

Getting 2 or 3 wrong numbers a month doesn't really bother me, however, if I tell you that you have the wrong number, don't loving call me three more loving times.