Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'd had my Megane 225 for a WEEK when some rear end in a top hat keyed the hood, four feet wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I had my car for about 2 or 3 weeks before I drove the driver-side front bumper into a high curb while pulling into a parking spot. And then opened the door into the same curb. Ironically I chose that parking spot since it was an edge and there'd be less opportunity to ding my car. Welp.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
When I lived in Anne Arundel County I didn't have this problem, but people in Essex, MD do not know how to park a loving car. In the past several years that I've lived here my car has been hit so many times in parking lots that all four corners are scraped and beat up from people pulling into or out of the parking space next to me at the grocery store. Last month somebody parallel parking their car tore the license plate bracket out of my front bumper. I think people who get a good look at my car must think I'm the bad driver, but I haven't hit anything myself. And in all that time not once has anybody ever left a note.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I was actually relieved when I got my first rock chip on my Grand Cherokee right after I bought it. I kind of stopped caring then. Once your new car has an imperfection you can stop being so OCD about it. I still take care of it, but I daily drive it, it's gonna take wear and tear and I just live with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A few weeks after getting my car, it got a huge dent in the door while parked in the church parking lot. Yelled "gently caress!" in front of a bunch of church goers. You'd think that'd be the one place someone would leave a note.

Never got it fixed. I regret it for about 10 minutes once a year or so.

A few years later I backed into the hitch of a trailer that was parked behind me and scraped the poo poo out of the corner of the bumper. Got out to make sure I hadn't punched a hole, shrugged, and forgot about it quickly. Was more worried about all the coworkers that watched me do it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When I got my car, a week after someone came into my lane and I panicked and swerved (in rush hour) and I hit a dude. It was a work truck and the guy driving it was super nice, didn't damage their truck at all aside from a bit of paint on the tire where it chewed up my door. The owner of the company tried to make a claim and long story short my insurance told him to gently caress off after I sent them photos.

Anyway, I was glad to get my car hosed up right off the bat because 3 years later paint is scraping off in some places and body panels are slightly skewed and I just don't give a poo poo. The motor runs and rust is minimal, it could be worse.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I buy beaters and either slowly make them nicer, or quickly make them a lot worse.

When I do all the bodywork on the blue comanche I'm probably going to install 2x6 1/8-wall rocker panel replacements just so if it gets doored in a parking lot, the idiot will take the damage, not me. And the front bumper is thrashed so it'll probably get whatever random offroad bumper I like the look of the most.

Last night for about 10-15 miles, I and the half dozen people I was clumped together with had 100% perfect left lane discipline. I couldn't believe it. No one was in the way, either. And this morning, I ended up in another group of a half dozen people doing ~80 in a 65 in the middle lane all the way to work... the second in line was a marked state police cruiser.

I don't know why they don't just make the limit on i90 80mph, it's quite obvious to everyone including the police that that's the de facto speed limit and everything seems to be alright that way.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 9, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Took me 5 years to get the first scratch on my 04 C70, but when I did it was a doozy. Like Karmic buildup or something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You & the daughter ok? I hope so!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

kastein posted:

I don't know why they don't just make the limit on i90 80mph, it's quite obvious to everyone including the police that that's the de facto speed limit and everything seems to be alright that way.

Honestly, I feel like no matter what the limits gets raised to, people will just continue to go 5-15 MPH faster than it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Honestly, I feel like no matter what the limits gets raised to, people will just continue to go 5-15 MPH faster than it.

From a bunch of links I found with about two minutes of searching, long term, the speeds of drivers hardly change at all when speed limits are raised or lowered. Lowering speed limits might actually be worse as most drivers will keep driving like they always have while others will slow down to follow the new limits, increasing the difference in speeds and making the road more dangerous.

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/effects-raising-lowering
http://jalopnik.com/transportation-expert-lets-raise-the-speed-limits-1715855360
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/humanfac/rd97002.cfm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In states with a 75 mph interstate limit, people actually seem to do an okay job sticking to 75. I mean yeah there's always the occasional midlife crisis that blasts by at 100+ but the normal traffic seems content to keep things under 80.

So maybe that's about as comfortable as people feel driving. Could also be the cars.. most 4 bangers these days seem to strain over 75 and perhaps people are unconsciously keeping the revs down a little bit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Until the police actually crack down and start enforcing the speed limits as posted instead of only going after people doing 15+ over, people will continue to speed at 5-15 over the limit. Here in Ohio you can pretty much speed on at 9-10 over the posted limit all day every day and law enforcement won't even give you a second glance.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uthor posted:

From a bunch of links I found with about two minutes of searching, long term, the speeds of drivers hardly change at all when speed limits are raised or lowered. Lowering speed limits might actually be worse as most drivers will keep driving like they always have while others will slow down to follow the new limits, increasing the difference in speeds and making the road more dangerous.

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/effects-raising-lowering
http://jalopnik.com/transportation-expert-lets-raise-the-speed-limits-1715855360
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/humanfac/rd97002.cfm

I pretty much agree with this. I drive on I-10 every day, going from 75mph limit area to 65mph limit area. If the traffic is light enough, the speed of the average traffic flow doesn't change at all when the speed limit changes. In the 65mph area, everyone drives about 75 on most days. In the 75 limit area, everyone drives about 75, with a few outliers (me!) doing 80. It seems like the actual area/road conditions control speed much better than the speed limit. Speeds are slower in the older/rougher areas, and faster in the newer areas with the awesome rubberized asphalt. The newer freeways around town tend to have a higher average speed than the older concrete rough ones.

I-17 through Phoenix has a 55mph limit. When I'm on I-17 in the off-hours with low traffic, the average traffic speeds run... 70-75.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Doesn't I-17 have those speeder cameras? Or are they just fakes?

I visited a few years ago and that was the first time I had ever seen one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

stuxracer posted:

Doesn't I-17 have those speeder cameras? Or are they just fakes?

I visited a few years ago and that was the first time I had ever seen one.

We had them for a couple years, they were terrible. People would go 75, come up on the camera's which had fixed sensors in the road-way, then jam on the breaks, cross the sensors at the speed limit, then speed back up to 75. Luckily people realized they were dumb, the state didn't make any money off of them (shocking that people don't willingly speed through the fixed position speed camera's), so the contract didn't get extended and they were all removed.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

The Locator posted:

We had them for a couple years, they were terrible. People would go 75, come up on the camera's which had fixed sensors in the road-way, then jam on the breaks, cross the sensors at the speed limit, then speed back up to 75. Luckily people realized they were dumb, the state didn't make any money off of them (shocking that people don't willingly speed through the fixed position speed camera's), so the contract didn't get extended and they were all removed.
Gotcha and that makes sense. That was experience wondering why people were hammering on the brakes. Glad they got rid of them.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I got to experience merging onto i84 at 35 mph last night:shepicide:

As soon as I could, I threw my 14 Corolla into sport mode and got past the fucker @ 70

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stuxracer posted:

Gotcha and that makes sense. That was experience wondering why people were hammering on the brakes. Glad they got rid of them.
The solution here is average speed SPECS cameras, so hitting the brakes doesn't help, they're timing you over several points.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

The solution here is average speed SPECS cameras, so hitting the brakes doesn't help, they're timing you over several points.

That would just move the slowing point back as long as everyone knows where the cameras are.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The Locator posted:

That would just move the slowing point back as long as everyone knows where the cameras are.

If the cameras are spaced over several miles (SPECS can be set up to6mi apart) you have to be slow for the whole thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then people will just drive slower for that corridor and gun it once they leave the area.

Unless someone can afford to cover every mile of highway with cameras there's always going to be ways around it.

(far more likely some government will just mandate gps loggers in all new vehicles to burden the consumer with the cost, and once they get the data out, tax by the mile and ticket the speeders)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

No, they're over a stretch of several miles. You may get someone not spot them and haul on the anchors every now and then, but once you're in their zone, traffic general maintains the limit.

This is as opposed to having the same stretch of road with several regular cameras, leading to much more concertina nonsense as people speed between them and brake for each one.

I can't say I like speed cameras, and view them as blunt enforcement of an arbitrary rule for its own sake, but have to admit that that SPECS do actually do what it says on the tin in terms of controlling traffic.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

xzzy posted:

Then people will just drive slower for that corridor and gun it once they leave the area.

Arguably safer than having people slam on their brakes the moment they notice a speedcamera or hiding cop. I'm not a fan of any of these, but I could see the use of SPECS in more dangerous areas (rather than as a profit making contraption) such as steep downhill sections that lead into well-known congested areas causing people, again, to slam on their brakes and rear end each other.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They mostly use them here in the 50 limit roadworks on motorways, though I have encountered them enforcing a nonsense 50 limit on an A road - one of the ones that was a 60 since the speed limit was introduced, and which you could maintain a decent clip above that previously.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I got to experience merging onto i84 at 35 mph last night:shepicide:

As soon as I could, I threw my 14 Corolla into sport mode and got past the fucker @ 70

"Sport Mode" and "Corolla" generally have never been seen before in the same sentence.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

They mostly use them here in the 50 limit roadworks on motorways, though I have encountered them enforcing a nonsense 50 limit on an A road - one of the ones that was a 60 since the speed limit was introduced, and which you could maintain a decent clip above that previously.

The A12 has lots of stretches with SPECS cameras covering mile-long chunks

And regular marked cars

And covert cars (a Mondeo)

And speed camera vans

The kicker is that you can't go that 56mph because the fast lane is invariably occupied by a lorry overtaking another that is doing 55.5mph

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sounds like those SPECS systems would be a great way to slow people down in dangerous areas where accidents are an issue. Which of course means that they would only ever get installed here in places that are perfectly safe going 80 in order for maximum revenue generation. Yay government.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GramCracker posted:

"Sport Mode" and "Corolla" generally have never been seen before in the same sentence.

But in the S model that CVT is getting 132 blazing horsepower thrown at it! It's got almost as much torque as an FR-S and that's sporty!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

davebo posted:

But in the S model that CVT is getting 132 blazing horsepower thrown at it! It's got almost as much torque as an FR-S and that's sporty!

It accelerates :smuggo:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Krakkles posted:

You & the daughter ok? I hope so!

Oh yeah, sorry not to put a timeframe on it. That happened three years ago. I had just dropped my daughter off at school so I was alone in the car. Volvo did what Volvos do, I was uninjured.

The replacement is not as mint but I'm working on it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Perhaps it's just me but I still see people on the M4 speed through roadworks at 60+ and then pile on the brakes at each SPECS camera. :cripes:

It's probably terrible but some part of my brain loves undertaking these chucklefucks simply by going at a single speed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

Perhaps it's just me but I still see people on the M4 speed through roadworks at 60+ and then pile on the brakes at each SPECS camera. :cripes:

It's probably terrible but some part of my brain loves undertaking these chucklefucks simply by going at a single speed.
It'd be terrible if you'd smacked up your number plate in a minor parking scrape and were in a hurry to get home to fix it, wouldn't it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I spend far more time glancing at the speedo on average speed sections of motorway than I ever do driving normally. It's a distraction that shittier drivers really don't need. That and it's super loving boring.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

I spend far more time glancing at the speedo on average speed sections of motorway than I ever do driving normally. It's a distraction that shittier drivers really don't need. That and it's super loving boring.
Cruise control can help, but then it gets annoying when people around you aren't maintaining their speed very well. I normally turn my speed limiter on in those situations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sadly I'm the only speed adjustment the car has. :/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Cruise control can help, but then it gets annoying when people around you aren't maintaining their speed very well. I normally turn my speed limiter on in those situations.

It's the only time I use cruise control and it's probably saved me several tickets on those long stretches of perfectly good roads with a 50mph limit just because there are cones on the hard shoulder.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Saw a guy playing a Nintendo DS while driving yesterday. Delightful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Two screens! Twice as good as a cell phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I drive a lot for work. I probably spend ~2 a day on average in my work truck, sometimes as many as 8 like when I had to go from Portland to La Grande and back in a day. Yesterday I had to drive from Portland to Eugene. Heading south on I-5 through Salem in the left lane with about 4 cars in front of me I noticed we weren't moving past the middle lane, and I saw that the problem was a red Sentra that had parked up in the left lane. The driver was pacing the semi trucks in the middle lane, and continued this behavior past Salem, when I-5 looses it's third lane and narrows down to two. Finally a gap opens up and one of the cars in front of me moves right to pass the Sentra -- Sentra speeds up. Continue this tit-for-tat game for another 5-6 miles until the cars in front of me either finally get around the Sentra or give up, move right, and slow down. Finally I get an opportunity to pass and I punch it and move right. I had to get up to about 85 to get around the Sentra, then get left in front of the Sentra with plenty of space to spare and clear the semi coming up in the right lane. I did not cut the Sentra off or flip the bird or do anything aggressive beyond the speed I needed to pass.

After a few more miles kinda watching this Sentra in my rear view, continue to park in the left lane with cars stacking up and a completely open right lane, I decided to be a bit of a dick and slowed down until the Sentra was up behind me. The driver started gesticulating disapprovingly, then moved right to pass me after a minute or so. I sped up to deny, Sentra moved back behind me with more "no no, you should move over!" finger wagging, which I ignored. In a bit of justice a semi moved left to pass another semi, getting between me and the Sentra. Eventually the Sentra FINALLY moved into the right lane and stayed there and I went on. How the driver didn't die of crippling hypocrisy is beyond me. Oh, you don't like me doing the exact thing you were doing miles back? Well how about that.

In good driver news though, on my way back up there was a dudebro'd truck heading north with me on I-5 that signaled all lane changes, stayed right except to pass, and even anticipated my need to move left to pass a slower vehicle and left room for me :shobon: