Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
In fact, maths and programming could be used to make it so your random number for any particular action is essentially predetermined from the start of the game. It could be weighted by skills etc, but just reloading over and over can be made to yield the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Are % checks linked to the luck stat in Fallout 3 at all?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bing_commander posted:

In fact, maths and programming could be used to make it so your random number for any particular action is essentially predetermined from the start of the game. It could be weighted by skills etc, but just reloading over and over can be made to yield the same results.

The new XCOM did this and it got patched out because people hated it.

And that is a turn based tactics game which is all just dice rolls and maximizing odds.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

bing_commander posted:

Not in a game where player aiming means anything.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

sout posted:

If I can't shitpost SA from my pip-boy then what's the goddamn point?

ME: SIRI. CALL HIM A human being
PHONE: Did you say CALL PIZZA HUT?
ME: N- well, okay.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Oh man I was just in the GBS Donald Trump thread and

Can someone do this but for Todd Howard and CoP's posts?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Skill check dice rolls are dumb unless the whole game is structured around them like XCOM or something because there's no preventing save scumming. Even in an iron man game I could just save, exit, resume whenever I want to quick save and then end the process when something I don't like happens and reload.

Unless you do what XCOM did with the predetermined dice rolls but then it's why even have dice rolls.

The whole mechanic is a holdover from early RPGs based on D&D; in a real setting where you can't reload a save dice rolls make perfect sense but it's time to come up with something new imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Moridin920 posted:

Because it was dumb to not have unlimited saves and then they realized by extension that dice roll checks are also dumb and outdated. That doesn't mean unlimited saves are bad.

Like my entire idea was that those two mechanics were bad when combined. So, uh, cool?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Hihohe posted:

I think saving should be in a game so that if you played for like 3 hours you wouldnt lose your progess.

You guys sure do like talking about everything but Fallout 4.

I do like what weve seen so far in gameplay with supermutants. The Behemoth looks disheveled and intimidating. Instead of just being super huge muscle beasts, it looks like the wasteland actually takes its toll on the mutants.
Their bodies aren't the only thing ravaged by the wasteland. With 10 Charisma and Intelligence you'll be able to talk the Behemoths down and repair the years of psychological damage caused by maddening FEV exposure and the horrors of the wasteland.

You will need to find a suitably giant couch, though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Like my entire idea was that those two mechanics were bad when combined. So, uh, cool?

Your argument was quicksaves destroy tension and poo poo and you moved your goalposts to 'well unlimited saving is bad combined with dice rolls' which wasn't a even mechanic that was in the last Fallout so whatever dude.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Alain Post posted:

No you can't, because when you die, you restart at the normal save point/checkpoint, not at the point where you quit the game. It's just a way to get rid of the "I have to reach a checkpoint before I quit" problem.
It might not be a "Quicksave" in the sense that it's not quick. But it really is effectively a save-anywhere feature: I used it all the time in Dark Souls when the run back to the boss got tedious.

Moridin920 posted:

Your argument was quicksaves destroy tension and poo poo and you moved your goalposts to 'well unlimited saving is bad combined with dice rolls' which wasn't a even mechanic that was in the last Fallout so whatever dude.
It was a mechanic in the last Bethesda developed Fallout. You could savescum the percentage-dialoguechecks in FO3.
Admittedly that was stupid design: It made the dicerolls meaningless. But the problem there wasn't the unliminted saving. It was having the speech checks be tied to dice rolls.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raygereio posted:

It was a mechanic in the last Bethesda developed Fallout. You could savescum the percentage-dialoguechecks in FO3.
Admittedly that was stupid design: It made the dicerolls meaningless. But the problem there wasn't the unliminted saving. It was having the speech checks be tied to dice rolls.

And? You think they're going to revert back to mechanics from a previous iteration just because Obsidian has cooties?

Any dice roll is meaningless in a game that can be saved and reloaded. And regardless, the course of the game and the quests should be determined by informed player choices not just random dice rolls. If you have the INT to make an INT comment great, if not then you don't. You shouldn't be able to skill into something then be denied that quest path because RNG.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 9, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

sout posted:

Are % checks linked to the luck stat in Fallout 3 at all?

I think so. A very small boost.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

All of this because the percentage skillchecks?

Limited saves would make percentage checks MUCH worse. 80% to success? gently caress you, you rolled bad, now you have to restart from an hour ago.

But ultimetly, who cares? There are no percentage skills at all, we have perks and the most you can do with them are binary checks.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
now what are we going to argue about

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Suave Fedora posted:

I haven't noticed complaints about the graphics for a while

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

And regardless, the course of the game and the quests should be determined by informed player choices not just random dice rolls.
Erm. Yes? i agree completely. I didn't say dice rolls were a good system.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Bholder posted:

All of this because the percentage skillchecks?

Limited saves would make percentage checks MUCH worse. 80% to success? gently caress you, you rolled bad, now you have to restart from an hour ago.

But ultimetly, who cares? There are no percentage skills at all, we have perks and the most you can do with them are binary checks.

I honestly don't get why people give such a crap. It only affects the person playing, and those who complain about it either don't do it themselves, meaning it doesn't affect them, or they do and it's a personal problem, not a problem with the game.

They should just make every line of dialog some kind of check.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Just look at it this way, the game checks that you have 100% of the required skill to pass

sout
Apr 24, 2014

JackBadass posted:

I honestly don't get why people give such a crap. It only affects the person playing, and those who complain about it either don't do it themselves, meaning it doesn't affect them, or they do and it's a personal problem, not a problem with the game.

They should just make every line of dialog some kind of check.

Call it the Hiccup (hiccough?) system - every line of dialogue has a chance of your character becoming tongue tied and saying something nonsensical.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

sout posted:

I haven't noticed complaints about the graphics for a while

I read in the wiki that there is a persistent "season" in the world due to the nuclear winter, but it created more of a hazy, desert summer. This could be why there were such horrible blue/gray/brown/fuschia filters/palettes/slashes in the last two games.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

sout posted:

Call it the Hiccup (hiccough?) system - every line of dialogue has a chance of your character becoming tongue tied and saying something nonsensical.

If it could go to the extent of you accidentally insulting a large group of armed raiders who then try to kill you unless you pass the check to say "Large Marge sent me" and then dance on the table, I'd be 100% on board with that.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

JackBadass posted:

If it could go to the extent of you accidentally insulting a large group of armed raiders who then try to kill you unless you pass the check to say "Large Marge sent me" and then dance on the table, I'd be 100% on board with that.

NV missed the boat on that one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

I was agreeing with you and that was sarcastic.

I know. I was using your explanation in response to the question, because it was well-stated. :)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Suave Fedora posted:

How I want most of the Vaults to have a survivable crop of freaks to potentially unleash onto the Boston wasteland instead of just be empty ghost towns you slump around for materials or treasures for about an hour and then never come back to because I liked the Boomers? I want to see John Fallout go up to Vault camera, tell them s/he's from 111 and mingle to see what kind of horrible social experiment this batch of idiots went through. Would they be good allies or trade partners even if they'd likely become another Vault City but with Fatties from Judge Dredd because they had too many food regulators or whatever? Or, if they're too messed up or you just don't like them, then you can go in and kill them all to claim the vault as a new settlement, with or without vault townies to populate it.

Now someone tell me how its too against canon or RPG standards for there to be more than one surviving Vault in a Fallout.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
There's going to be a vault made up of half Red Sox fans and half Yankees fans. Everyone was given bats and baseballs and gloves upon entering. It will be the most graphically violent vault seen in the history of Fallout.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

New Leaf posted:

There's going to be a vault made up of half Red Sox fans and half Yankees fans. Everyone was given bats and baseballs and gloves upon entering. It will be the most graphically violent vault seen in the history of Fallout.

This is utterly preposterous, as the Yankees fans would not have lasted two years in the city, let alone 200.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I know. I was using your explanation in response to the question, because it was well-stated. :)

Oh well I haven't eaten today and I am dumb my apologies :)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

There's going to be a vault where whenever someone farts, the entire vault has to find the culprit or the vault computer will kill everyone.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I would like to open a vault where all the dwellers are immediately found inside, with their backs to the door. They start slowly backing out of the vault and into the Wasteland. When prompted by the player, all you get is "..." with horrified, misshapen The Ring-esque expressions on their faces.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 9, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

There'll be a vault that has another vault inside of it and inside that vault is the wasteland and in the wasteland is a vault with some lovely special gun.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

JackBadass posted:

There'll be a vault that has another vault inside of it and inside that vault is the wasteland and in the wasteland is a vault with some lovely special gun.

Unfortunately, you can't move the special gun without collapsing the original vault, Temple of the Ancients style.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Delsaber posted:

Unfortunately, you can't move the special gun without collapsing the original vault, Temple of the Ancients style.

Unless you save and keep reloading until it doesn't collapse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

JackBadass posted:

Unless you save and keep reloading until it doesn't collapse.

No, trap the player in a "Skinner Vault" by implying that there's a skill check involved in getting the sword out, when it's actually impossible. Then they save scum forever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How exactly would you design a game around quicksaves/save states anyway? I mean you can design mechanics around limited save systems (since you have something to hang them on) but a free/open save system is literally the opposite of a mechanic. It's a lack of structure.

I concede that random speech checks and other skill %'s aren't really compatible with free saves but I still feel like the smartest thing to do is segregate anything more hardcore than the default into a separate game mode. Maybe some kind of thing where the game gives you a single game file that auto-updates any time you make a skill roll?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mendrian posted:

How exactly would you design a game around quicksaves/save states anyway? I mean you can design mechanics around limited save systems (since you have something to hang them on) but a free/open save system is literally the opposite of a mechanic. It's a lack of structure.

I concede that random speech checks and other skill %'s aren't really compatible with free saves but I still feel like the smartest thing to do is segregate anything more hardcore than the default into a separate game mode. Maybe some kind of thing where the game gives you a single game file that auto-updates any time you make a skill roll?

That'd go over well in an open world sandbox-ish game.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You can only use any sort of save-limiting mechanic as long as you are 100% confident that the game won't crash or corrupt your save. This being a Gamebryo game, if the vanilla crashes don't screw you up then trying to uninstall a lovely bug filled mod will corrupt your save.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

JackBadass posted:

That'd go over well in an open world sandbox-ish game.

Who cares, it's a special mode for people who want to be stuck with their choices anyway.

"Save will corrupt" is a much better reason not to do that though.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mendrian posted:

Who cares, it's a special mode for people who want to be stuck with their choices anyway.

"Save will corrupt" is a much better reason not to do that though.

They already have that mode, though. It's called "just use one save because no one's forcing you to make more than one save" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

When you die the game should uninstall itself and revoke your license so you have to buy a new copy.

Physical console editions should eject with enough force that the disc disintegrates on contact with the nearest obstacle or kills a household pet or small child.

• Locked thread