Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

BLM or BRD are probably the best for that.

hahahahhahhahahahahaha.

no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: wrong button

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

For what it's worth, I got the 5 clears achivement on A4 yesterday and saw exactly one shaft drop.

I got the shaft; I didn't get the shaft :q:

The body is the worse tank piece. Why would you want that? Unless it's better for warriors? Also you push back your ability to get more pieces quicker by not pushing the body till the end.

efb

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KaneTW posted:

hahahahhahhahahahahaha.

no.

Well to be fair that used to be true before Enochian

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boten Anna posted:

BLM or BRD are probably the best for that.

it's drg because as much as some of them are bitching about how harrddd the combo is they have exactly four positional attacks and the rotation is dead simple

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

KaneTW posted:

hahahahhahhahahahahaha.

no.

BLM is pretty simple up until 58 when you start having to worry about making sure you hit B4 in time before your Enochian runs out. And you get F4 and oh god I have no clue what I'm doing.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

BLM was simple in terms of rotation in 2.x. it's one of the harder classes to optimize DPS on.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Belzac posted:

Let's see how you all feel after your 400th A2 run by August. Wow this is so much more exciting...

gotta grind out those alexander pieces so that you can get the chest piece after 4 weeks, just in time to buy a chest piece with the new law currency instead

oh, wait

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

it's drg because as much as some of them are bitching about how harrddd the combo is they have exactly four positional attacks and the rotation is dead simple

This is what I needed to hear. I really like this game but its still super confusing when youre new, especially what each classes role and play style actually is. :shobon:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
So I keep having these moments in A1 where it seems like everything is going perfectly smoothly and the missiles are getting blocked and there's no reason why things shouldn't be just fine... but then a missile falls in a puddle and goes off anyway. I literally just watched a missile fall right in the middle of a puddle that I placed myself, but it didn't shrink and exploded on us anyway. What gives? Is something broken? Is the timing or the placement just super finicky for some reason? It really sucks.

Also I've played every job, leveled the majority of them at least to 50, and the only macro I've ever made is one for Living Dead that says "hey somebody needs to heal me" in chat (because I know if I was healing a pub group and the DRK used Living Dead there's a decent chance I would totally miss it if I was looking at something else at the time).

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 9, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Furnaceface posted:

This is what I needed to hear. I really like this game but its still super confusing when youre new, especially what each classes role and play style actually is. :shobon:

Red class icon means DPS. Blue class icon means tank. Green class icon means healer.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Right now MNK, BRD, NIN and maybe SMN are prob the easiest to do 0.8 quantile DPS on.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ Fell Cleave is pretty overkill. Getting Deliverance made leveling go faster than MNK and getting Fell Cleave meant I could occasionally just pop CDs and explode a mob because a level 54 person can crit for upwards of 3.5k damage, twice, in a couple seconds with it.

Please tell us about the wonders of One-Ilm Punch (outside of PVP). :allears:

The worst part of offtanking A4 is the one Photograph Room* where berserk and even infuriate is still on cooldown and I can't murder the robot with a double berserked fell cleave :smith:

*(Quarantine, for those of you with no sense of humor or imagination)

KaneTW posted:

hahahahhahhahahahahaha.

no.

It isn't like any of them are no effort, but BLM's rotation is pretty simple (and yes I know poo poo gets weird past 50 but that's not really the point here), and BRD can be played to a decent degree of competency by just mashing everything on cooldown. None of them allow you to faceroll through extremes/raids. What would YOU suggest for someone who wants to play the simplest class? Also, I forgot DRG,

sword_man.gif posted:

is right.

Holyshoot posted:

The body is the worse tank piece. Why would you want that? Unless it's better for warriors? Also you push back your ability to get more pieces quicker by not pushing the body till the end.

efb

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vOv posted:

BLM is pretty simple up until 58 when you start having to worry about making sure you hit B4 in time before your Enochian runs out. And you get F4 and oh god I have no clue what I'm doing.

The Blm rotation now is so simple it hurts.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The Blm rotation now is so simple it hurts.

[citation needed]

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

What would YOU suggest for someone who wants to play the simplest class?

I posted above what's IMO the easiest DPS to do decent DPS on judging by what I've seen but I'm unqualified to say what's the simplest DPS because I try to max DPS on anything I play and none of them are simple in that regard.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The background art here is a nice throwback to ye olden final fantasy, is it anywhere without the credits overlaying it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And dragoon, to maximize DPS, does actually take a good amount of work. Blood of the dragon is vital to keep up almost all of the times because of the boosts to jump and spineshatter dive, but also because hitting your random positional is a DPS boost. Geirskogul is an amazing off-GCD skill to use especially if there are any adds or multiple mobs but must be timed well otherwise you lose your BotD.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I absolutely hate how they are doing Alexander loot. I do not want to run these things the amount of times it would take to get 4 tokens every week. I would definitely much preferred WoD loot lock outs combined with the ex token system to cover for variance.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Thyrork posted:

The background art here is a nice throwback to ye olden final fantasy, is it anywhere without the credits overlaying it?

That was the ARR collector's edition artwork.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

[citation needed]

Buffs>(2x fire4>fire1) repeat intill oom or 10s on enochain > bliz 3 > bliz 4 > repeat

Enochain about to wear off and its not off cd> use all your mana in fire 2.0 dps mode > bliz 2.0 dps mode > repeat or go back to enochain rotation

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

KaneTW posted:

I posted above what's IMO the easiest DPS to do decent DPS on judging by what I've seen but I'm unqualified to say what's the simplest DPS because I try to max DPS on anything I play and none of them are simple in that regard.

Right, you were reacting to what I said as if a different question was asked. None of the classes allow you to be really good at them and faceroll, but some are easier to faceroll in expert-and-lower content without getting singled out by randos as terrible. BLM is very simple to get decent DPS out if if you just pay attention for 5 seconds and know how to fill up MP in ice and spend it all in fire. BRD is simple if you know you basically just hit everything on cooldown and keep a couple dots up. DRG is simple if you hit 1-2-3 and apply some buffs or something idk it's been a while.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm beginning to wonder if suddenly Monk is the easiest to be 80% or whatever effective at. DRG has BotD and required positionals (unlike Monk where you just lose potency), Ninja still has lag loving up Mudras, BLM has Enochian, SMN has using aetherflow/aethertrail correctly, and... well I can't speak for BRD or MCH but I'm sort of led to understand they have their own sort of fuckery to deal with at 50+.

Then again I'm on two hours of sleep so am probably not thinking it all out. :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Buffs>(2x fire4>fire1) repeat intill oom or 10s on enochain > bliz 3 > bliz 4 > repeat

Enochain about to wear off and its not off cd> use all your mana in fire 2.0 dps mode > bliz 2.0 dps mode > repeat or go back to enochain rotation

this is how you do 800 dps

now try a rotation with 1300

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's actually super easy to be 80% at drg because you can just not use Geirskogul. Using it only when BotD is off cooldown is even close to right in some fights (A2), though it's never entirely right.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Why would you wait until 10s on Enochian when you can use B3 -> Swiftcast -> B4? And I'm pretty sure going B3 -> B4 -> F3 won't leave you with all your mana, and you've completely ignored Ley Lines (which can affect what you cast in Umbral and how many F4 casts in a row you can do), Swiftcast, and Sharpcast. Plus movement can really gently caress you up; if you move after your second F4 then you might not be able to cast F1 in time to keep AF3 up and you'll have to swiftcast something unless you have a Firestarter proc up.

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vOv posted:

Why would you wait until 10s on Enochian when you can use B3 -> Swiftcast -> B4? And I'm pretty sure going B3 -> B4 -> F3 won't leave you with all your mana, and you've completely ignored Ley Lines (which can affect what you cast in Umbral and how many F4 casts in a row you can do), Swiftcast, and Sharpcast. Plus movement can really gently caress you up; if you move after your second F4 then you might not be able to cast F1 in time to keep AF3 up and you'll have to swiftcast something unless you have a Firestarter proc up.

You gotta live in the moment, no wonder its hard you think up a paragraph when something happens.

You blow swiftcast to refresh enochain when you don't have too, haha moron.
Even with ley lines you can still only do 2 fire 4!, With firestarter you can do 3 fire 4.

ilifinicus posted:

this is how you do 800 dps

now try a rotation with 1300

Just showing a simple rotation to show its not hard as some are making it seem. All you gotta do to go higher is ride some lightning procs and let enochain fall off at the right moment.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
so inquiring minds want to know; what IS the 1300 dps black mage rotation? i got a lot of great openers from the ffgoons thread the other day but I didn't see much talk about actual rotations beyond

Tenzarin posted:

e: unless you just mean proper cooldown usage/knowing when to switch to F4 > F1 instead of 2x F4, etc

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 9, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Aaaarrrrrgh it's Enochian not Enochain :tizzy:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Countblanc posted:

so inquiring minds want to know; what IS the 1300 dps black mage rotation? i got a lot of great openers from the ffgoons thread the other day but I didn't see much talk about actual rotations beyond

Just practice that and everything else falls into place naturally. Just don't over think it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Aaaarrrrrgh it's Enochian not Enochain :tizzy:

poo poo is off the enochain

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

Genesis 5:24

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

You gotta live in the moment, no wonder its hard you think up a paragraph when something happens.

You blow swiftcast to refresh enochain when you don't have too, haha moron.
Even with ley lines you can still only do 2 fire 4!, With firestarter you can do 3 fire 4.

Just showing a simple rotation to show its not hard as some are making it seem. All you gotta do to go higher is ride some lightning procs and let enochain fall off at the right moment.

With i159 gear and Ley Lines I was able to do F3 F4 F4 F4 F1 and still have AF3 up afterwards. Though I'm not 100% sure if it's still a DPS gain because you can't precast your next F4 and you have to wait a bit between when F3 finishes casting and when you actually get AF3.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is anyone here playing on Windows 10? Does it work ok?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Moghome is a commentary on stoner culture.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm bad at MMOs and I'm pretty good at dragoon at this point, it's hella easy. I recommend that to the guy who's looking for an easy class to play.

It has a lot of buttons but you always press them in the same order every time, and when you get to the end, you go back to the beginning (compared to other classes which are more about keeping track of timers and using abilities according to a priority system). Manage that and you're a good dragoon. Manage to use your cooldowns, too, and you're a great dragoon. Manage to use them correctly and you're an excellent dragoon good job you mastered the game

Even the number of buttons isn't bad because 6 of them break down into 2 different combos, so it's easier to think of it as 2 combos instead of 6 buttons. And, like every class, you slowly learn new abilities as you level so by the time you're 50-60, yes you're doing a long rotation with a bunch of cooldowns but it feels like second nature because you learned it slowly along the way. Every time you get a new ability or trait you just have to think "how do i use this with what i have" and practice it for the hour or so it takes to learn a new one.

I'm not sure what this means though:

Ciaphas posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if suddenly Monk is the easiest to be 80% or whatever effective at. DRG has BotD and required positionals (unlike Monk where you just lose potency)

What do you mean by "required positional" compared to something that just loses potency? The only thing I can think of that applies to this for DRG is that you only get a dmg bonus to ring of thorns if you correctly position heavy thrust; otherwise, all of the drg positionals just give you extra damage too (though for the new 4th combo abilities, it's a potency difference of 290 vs. 100 so that could easily be described as "required" i guess).

Blood of the dragon isn't bad, just think of it as a buff that you need to keep up at all times. Even if you ignore Geirskogul completely you're still doing pretty good dps (but you should take a risk and learn to use it) as long as you keep BotD up, which is pretty easy to do if you aren't using Geirskogul and remember to actually attack stuff. I didn't level pugilist any higher than I needed to to unlock DRG, but it seems like it's the same basic idea as Greased Lightning in that it's something that falls off if you stop fighting for too long.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vOv posted:

With i159 gear and Ley Lines I was able to do F3 F4 F4 F4 F1 and still have AF3 up afterwards. Though I'm not 100% sure if it's still a DPS gain because you can't precast your next F4 and you have to wait a bit between when F3 finishes casting and when you actually get AF3.

I have seen that alot you cast fire 1 before AF wears off, you lose AF during fireball flight, and gain it back when it hits the target. I perfer doing 3 f4 with a firestarter proc because you can just start casting again right after you come off the gcd.

The basic combo isn't hard to do at all, Neverreap is my favorite ex roulette to do now too.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Even the number of buttons isn't bad because 6 of them break down into 2 different combos, so it's easier to think of it as 2 combos instead of 6 buttons. And, like every class, you slowly learn new abilities as you level so by the time you're 50-60, yes you're doing a long rotation with a bunch of cooldowns but it feels like second nature because you learned it slowly along the way. Every time you get a new ability or trait you just have to think "how do i use this with what i have" and practice it for the hour or so it takes to learn a new one.

This also segues into an important point that levelling exclusively through FATEs is bad and is for pissbabies who are bad. Play dungeons, learn your class, build muscle memory.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the old days of absolute required positionals for DRG went out the window a while back so even if you miss the positional your entire combo doesn't fall apart. You do however miss out on the increased potency so don't miss your positionals. :v:

My quick rule for Geirskogul use is to use it when I have about 21 seconds left on BotD. Obviously you can cut this down if you're in the middle of the Full Thrust or Chaos Thrust combo but beyond that it's worked fairly well for me. Some mechanics heavy fights you won't get it off as much but it isn't too difficult to weave in there. If BotD's off CD you can also just fire the Geirskogul while giving no fucks and just bring BotD back up a second later.

But seriously use Geirskogul. It doesn't even require the minimal amount of aiming as Doom Spike, thing's a giant loving cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Boten Anna posted:

This also segues into an important point that levelling exclusively through FATEs is bad and is for pissbabies who are bad. Play dungeons, learn your class, build muscle memory.

Are you trying to say that lvling to 60 doing fates that are lvl 45 over the time period of 60 hours is a way I will learn nothing?

• Locked thread