Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ratzap posted:

Ok thanks. As it is I'm having a miserable time - stock ships are horrible. The basic Langley (as you no doubt know) has no AA so it can't protect itself from other carriers. So I use the fighters as protection but they are stock too so anyone who's upgraded kills them. I'm trying to catch other fighters over my sides ships so their AA helps out but drat, it's going to be a long painful haul to get this poo poo bucket upgraded.

I'm enjoying my first CV, but I'm finding it utterly baffling. My fighters are upgraded and they keep dying one-on-one with other Langley fighters, inside friendly AA bubbles. I have no loving clue how air combat is meant to work. That and I'm seeing torpedo planes that can actually outrun them.

Between that and the games where I'm the only carrier against two enemy CVs, yet somehow kill their whole airforce (for which you get gently caress all exp), but then have my bombers circle around the drop points instead of dropping, I'm having a really weird, really really unrewarding career as a successful carrier. But it is fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Do you have the upgrades and plane-centric commander skills? Those seem to tip the balance for me. My Langley fighters almost never even lose a plane against same tier foes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've got Expert Rear Gunner & Torpedo Armament Expertise, and am planning to pick up Dogfighting Expert next (I need two more points). I've also just fitted Air Group Mod 1 in the hope that will make it a noticeable difference

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Nothing more frustrating then hitting a max range salvo of 4+ shells (AP) into an enemy bb, only to have it decide you only did 2k dmg. I really seem to do alot better in my New Mexico at mid range, atleast there the shotguns don't ever seem to happen. Even with this gripe though it really is a great BB.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

psy.Che posted:

Holy crap the Kongo is a good and fun ship... so fun that I'm scared of moving on to the Fuso.

Don't fear the Fuso, I actually like it better than the Kongo. Or at least I did - I haven't gotten into it in OBT yet.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I think I made a mistake. I went down both the American and Japanese trees, and now that I'm within reach of Sky Cancer, I can't afford to buy them out of the gate.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Starting out on the CV line right now is going to be a lovely experience. I wish I had hopped on that bandwagon a bit sooner. I do have some really nicely upgrade DDs, BBs and CVs though.

Same, there are Langley or Bogue in every one of my Hosho game and it's a pain in the rear end.
The few guys grinding CVs in the first days with few CVs and Arkansas everywere were smarter than me.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Don't fear the Fuso, I actually like it better than the Kongo. Or at least I did - I haven't gotten into it in OBT yet.

At least the stock version of the Fuso is making it quite hard for me right now - the low range kills it for me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Three salvos in a row, the Kawachi managed to completely straddle the enemy without hits.

I hate this loving ship. :negative:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Night10194 posted:

Three salvos in a row, the Kawachi managed to completely straddle the enemy without hits.

I hate this loving ship. :negative:

Good news! The Myogi fires are lot farther.

But it has fewer guns. That are just as inaccurate.

Save your free XP.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Bah gently caress Sims. Playing on laptop is hard enough, and Sims just makes it worse. It should have been tier 5 :argh:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I think WG should add the Furutaka's 3x2 gun configuration as the final hull upgrade, so that it can go from being a pathetically bad ship to a probably mediocre one.

Aesis posted:

Bah gently caress Sims. Playing on laptop is hard enough, and Sims just makes it worse. It should have been tier 5 :argh:

If you don't like the Sims, you won't like the rest of the US destroyer line. It's basically a cross between a Mahan and Benson.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

If you don't like the Sims, you won't like the rest of the US destroyer line. It's basically a cross between a Mahan and Benson.
Well I am only grinding US cruiser line (just doing daily 1.5X or not even that these days). Should have bought Russian boat instead!

e: I play Sims/Atago/Cleveland/Murmansk for xp conversion so I can skip stock.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 9, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Well I am only grinding US cruiser line (just doing daily 1.5X or not even that these days). Should have bought Russian boat instead!

The Gremy is indeed unique, though I have a feeling that once they add in the rest of the Russian fleet it'll be in the same boat (:smuggo:) as the Sims: plays exactly the same as all the other destroyers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Which boats are slated to come out next after US and IJN? Royal Navy?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Night10194 posted:

Which boats are slated to come out next after US and IJN? Royal Navy?
No idea, but one of three (Germany/UK/Russia) for sure.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Russia, then Germany, then UK.
Blame Russian nationalists and Wehraboos.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sarmhan posted:

Russia, then Germany, then UK.
Blame Russian nationalists and Wehraboos.

Did the Russian navy actually, like, do anything in WWII?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Night10194 posted:

A bit less than the German surface ships. It's literally Russian chauvinism and their market being heavily Russian.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Got wrecked by finnish coastal defenses, got bottled up in their harbor by the german navy and maybe resupplied sevastapol if I remember right?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Borrowed a lot of Lend-Lease poo poo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Borrowed a lot of Lend-Lease poo poo.

I hope they have an option for a hypothetical lend-lease Iowa.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder if any of Germany's ships will have the ability to get killed by a 19th century coastal defense in Norway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So apparently I pissed off a pubbie, not that its that hard.

I thought he was bitching me out for my previous game which I reset the enemy cap on our base when it was at 80% but he was bitching me out for the one before that. I was going up the middle on Two Brothers and all they had left was a carrier and we had them 3 capped with about 900 points. Apparently he wanted me to completely stop and go nowhere near A because then he couldnt get his super sweet xp from spending the rest of the match hunting for their carrier he was never going to find before we ticked to 1000 points. Pubbies never change, they always would rather spend 10 minutes hunting a guy than winning ASAP and getting into another game where they can earn more xp.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Aside from going slower, are there any tips for turning tighter? I keep running into islands with my destroyer because I expect it to turn tighter than my cruisers.

E: that guy is probably used to tanks, where you can search the map for the last arty pretty quickly.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 9, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Ships is just too slow for me.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Aside from going slower, are there any tips for turning tighter? I keep running into islands with my destroyer because I expect it to turn tighter than my cruisers.

E: that guy is probably used to tanks, where you can search the map for the last arty pretty quickly.
Don't turn into land. Or turn about 1/2 rudder into opposite direction before turning to the direction you want. This should provide you more space to turn while reducing speed only slightly. Never decelerate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Go faster. Boats have momentum and slow speed means slow turning. Other than that you should probably turn more.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

So apparently I pissed off a pubbie, not that its that hard.

I thought he was bitching me out for my previous game which I reset the enemy cap on our base when it was at 80% but he was bitching me out for the one before that. I was going up the middle on Two Brothers and all they had left was a carrier and we had them 3 capped with about 900 points. Apparently he wanted me to completely stop and go nowhere near A because then he couldnt get his super sweet xp from spending the rest of the match hunting for their carrier he was never going to find before we ticked to 1000 points. Pubbies never change, they always would rather spend 10 minutes hunting a guy than winning ASAP and getting into another game where they can earn more xp.

Yeah, pubbies get weird about capping. A few matches ago I had the same thing happen to me in the gamemode with only one central cap point. I wasn't even actively trying to cap because there were still plenty of enemies in range, I was just crossing the zone to get from one point to another. Still, not one but two guys on my team got stupidly mad at me, one even telling the rest of our team to shoot me. And of course the game was far from in the bag at that point, I think in the end it came down to two ships on each side being left and us only winning quite narrowly in the end.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Probably because xp grind is brutally long so they think it's better to shoot for more xp than cap for faster game with less xp.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Aesis posted:

Probably because xp grind is brutally long so they think it's better to shoot for more xp than cap for faster game with less xp.

No its just how they treat mp games in general. In their mind a guy who goes 1:1 k:d but wins the game for their team through completing objectives isnt as good as the guy with 0 objective points and a 3:1 k:d and lost the game. All they care about is kills.

EDIT: Can I get a round thats not Two Brothers please?

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 9, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Go faster. Boats have momentum and slow speed means slow turning. Other than that you should probably turn more.

So does the Umikaze just have lovely turning or something? I swear my cruisers with 10 knots less speed turn tighter.

I know IJN cruisers have torpedoes and US cruisers are more gun-focused, but what sort of theme is there for DDs and BBs?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So does the Umikaze just have lovely turning or something? I swear my cruisers with 10 knots less speed turn tighter.

I know IJN cruisers have torpedoes and US cruisers are more gun-focused, but what sort of theme is there for DDs and BBs?

Full Speed or 3/4th's is optimal turning for most boats. The only time I have slowed down for a turn is when I'm edging close to an island and I need to cut engine power to not ram my bow into a section of it. That has it's own downsides though since you get to sitting duck status and sitting ducks are incredibly easy to citadel.
I don't remember any non-assisted (option where the game auto-turns you away from islands) issues in any boat I've driven that hasn't been due to me messing up my turns in some way.

DD's are that but moreso. For BB's, IJN has range and secondaries while US has guns and AA.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Carriers that park themselves into a corner and then whine when the team abandons them will never not be hilarious.

Also "I drove away from my team and ended up dying alone against 4+ enemies, you people are terrible and need to learn how the game works"

Best combo I have seen so far was a SouCal trying that cute WoT reversing into cover thing, failing, and then whining to their teammates that they are dumb fucks who don't understand the game.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Really enjoying this game so far. Haven't bought any premium ships because credits are not a problem at my level (max 4 across all trees) and I'm only grinding right now. For now I decided to go up the following lines (in the order of the most fun):
- JAP destroyers
- US carriers
- JAP cruisers
- US battleships

I read that JAP carrier are more "offense-oriented" but at my current (granted, low) level, having 6 vs. 4 planes in a squadron seems like a huge advantage. E.g. 3-4 torpedo hits vs. 2 on average. Or having 6 fighters chase/kill these puny 4-fighter groups. If you prefer JAP carriers - why?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

El Disco posted:

I think WG should add the Furutaka's 3x2 gun configuration as the final hull upgrade, so that it can go from being a pathetically bad ship to a probably mediocre one.

They should add the Sendai as an alternate tier 5. Whatever upgrades it would get over the Kuma would be nice, but not too important since I'd rather play a tier 5 unaltered Kuma than a Furutaka.
Furutaka should really get all its historical upgrades though. If Wargaming like the unique 6x1 guns that much they can make that a premium tier 4 with fixed torpedo tubes like the actual pre refit Furutaka.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

xthetenth posted:

A bit less than the German surface ships. It's literally Russian chauvinism and their market being heavily Russian.

Although I can't blame WG too much for letting ultra-nationalist russians throw money at them.

Unexpected posted:

I read that JAP carrier are more "offense-oriented" but at my current (granted, low) level, having 6 vs. 4 planes in a squadron seems like a huge advantage. E.g. 3-4 torpedo hits vs. 2 on average. Or having 6 fighters chase/kill these puny 4-fighter groups. If you prefer JAP carriers - why?

At tier V, Japanese carriers can get 3 torpedo and one dive bomber squadron. Which means they can basically alpha strike any ship they want. US carriers can shoot down planes, sure, but they're pretty bad at doing damage to other ships for most of the tree. Dive bombers suck pretty badly at the moment.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
I finally get why people bitch about torpedoes so much. Just got out of a series of 5 games in my Wyoming where it was nothing but tier VI-VII carriers and destroyers just demolishing me with massive torpedo spam. Tiers I-III were all pretty awesome, but if all I have to look forward to in later tiers is weaving around torpedo clouds and point blank bombing runs then I'm definitely done with this game.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Ninja-torping destroyers (can't spot till 5-6 km) and point-blank torping carriers are common in higher tier. Get very disappointed!

Also people in cruisers just pooping torp for 'i-win' button.

e: I do have Atago/Cleveland, and every time I spam HE and/or poop torp at shotgun range I can't help but feel how bullshit the game balance is.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 10, 2015

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Aesis posted:

Ninja-torping destroyers (can't spot till 5-6 km) and point-blank torping carriers are common in higher tier. Get very disappointed!

Also people in cruisers just pooping torp for 'i-win' button.

e: I do have Atago/Cleveland, and every time I spam HE and/or poop torp at shotgun range I can't help but feel how bullshit the game balance is.

Yeah I'm out then. It's too bad, the beginning tiers with the St. Louis and such were pretty awesome, and I have a bunch of gold from WOT left over I was planning on burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well the good news is carriers are not that common atm so you just need to watch out for ninja destroyers that can't be spotted and cruisers camping corner. Bad news is you still need to dodge cloud of torpedo.