Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think I'd go down to 10k if he said "at or above" instead of "at and maintain."

Willing to play devils advocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
What Apollo said. The word "Maintain" means exactly that, and supersedes any thing written on the chart.

Going into DFW it's actually pretty common to get something along the lines of "descend via the BOOVE1 arrival except maintain 11 thousand."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

What Apollo said. The word "Maintain" means exactly that, and supersedes any thing written on the chart.

Going into DFW it's actually pretty common to get something along the lines of "descend via the BOOVE1 arrival except maintain 11 thousand."

I wonder why. What other altitude would you go to if not 11,000?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
How does this even happen?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/us/south-carolina-aircraft-incident/

Cessna 150 gets run over by an F-16 at 15,000 feet in South Carolina. WTF? What was a Cessna 150 even doing that high? That's got to be pretty close to its ceiling.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hauldren Collider posted:

How does this even happen?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/us/south-carolina-aircraft-incident/

Cessna 150 gets run over by an F-16 at 15,000 feet in South Carolina. WTF? What was a Cessna 150 even doing that high? That's got to be pretty close to its ceiling.

What indication do you have that it was up that high? I don't see that in the news stories I've read.

It's indeed exceptionally high for a Cessna 150. Impractically high.

EDIT: Here's a neat document provided by Luke Air Force Base regarding the See and Avoid concept for their local area (not the same area as mentioned in the news article):

http://www.luke.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110112-027.pdf

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 8, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

What indication do you have that it was up that high? I don't see that in the news stories I've read.

It's indeed exceptionally high for a Cessna 150. Impractically high.

EDIT: Here's a neat document provided by Luke Air Force Base regarding the See and Avoid concept for their local area (not the same area as mentioned in the news article):

http://www.luke.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110112-027.pdf

An instructor at my flight school said he heard that was the altitude where they crashed, but he could be mistaken.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't know if the F-16s there use the instrument training route IR-18 but it's my best guess for the source of the conflict. Altitude for that route is between 5,000 and 7,000ft which is a more realistic Cessna 150 cruise altitude. The training route goes right through the site of the collision.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm backing the MTR theory too. Those guys can be down at 500-1500ft at 360+kts on VR routes, and VR1059 is also right over the crash site.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Yeah no way that 150 was up at 15,000 feet.

Also we get "descend via the RAVNN5 except...." around Baltimore all the time. I'd think it's pretty common around most busy airspace.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Uh, do 152s fall under the same category as 150s?

(in case you can't read the altimeter, WingX Pro has a handy GPS altimeter readout :ssh: )

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Butt Reactor posted:

(in case you can't read the altimeter, WingX Pro has a handy GPS altimeter readout :ssh: )

Well they have 10 more horsepower. I see you're wearing gloves. I'm guessing no passenger and partial fuel. And oxygen.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 8, 2015

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Butt Reactor posted:

Was this taken in July in the south?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Ferret King posted:

Well they have 10 more horsepower. I see you're wearing gloves. I'm guessing no passenger and partial fuel.

That and it was over Colorado in mid January :shudder:

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

KodiakRS posted:

This. Southwest is the worst offender of giving me 2 planes in the same pattern at 10k, but all airlines have hosed it up. Its only by sheer luck there hasnt been a midair, weve had a few tcas resolutions and "climbing back to 11k".
Now I reiterate that the holding altitude is 11k after they read back instructions but I shouldn't need to when I'm down the shitter holding.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just watched this AOPA video about a 2013 Piper Arrow crash.

Pretty informative and a good refresher on diversions and fuel planning in GA aircraft.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Just wanted to paste this article because the first part is hilarious and I thought you guys would get some enjoyment out of it.

quote:

Tube and train drivers take 18 months to qualify. Is this necessary? I learnt to fly a plane safely in three weeks. You can obtain an HGV licence in a month. So why does it take so long to learn to drive a train?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-sack-them.html

Three weeks :laugh:

I mean, sure, ok, you could tootle around for 3 weeks and get the basics of flying but considering he's comparing it to something carrying passengers? lol.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The FAA is renaming the fixes of the IVNKA1 departure out of PBI to get rid of the Donald Trump references.

This seems like a huge pain in the rear end to pull off, so it must've been deemed a Big Problem.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

aunt jemima posted:

The FAA is renaming the fixes of the IVNKA1 departure out of PBI to get rid of the Donald Trump references.

This seems like a huge pain in the rear end to pull off, so it must've been deemed a Big Problem.

Were they even an "honor" when allocated? I thought Trump had sued the airport about approach/departure paths over his golf course multiple times.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

aunt jemima posted:

I think the article is being a bit generous by describing him as a "Republican presidential candidate", maybe "nominally Republican pretend-presidential candidate slash idiot clown".

How many approaches have silly joke/reference names like this one?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I think the article is being a bit generous by describing him as a "Republican presidential candidate", maybe "nominally Republican pretend-presidential candidate slash idiot clown".

How many approaches have silly joke/reference names like this one?

A lot.

Pretty much any large airport is going to have at least one arrival or departure that includes references to the local sports teams, and procedures named for famous local things (Vegas has a LUXOR arrival, there's a TECKY departure in San Jose with CISKO and EBAYE, etc...) are really common as well.

One of the best I've seen is an approach in New Hampshire that requires crossing (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE and TATT, with IDEED being the missed approach fix. I think the FAA usually won't approve anything that could be construed as controversial or obscene, but someone managed to put BUXOM (which sits right over a nude beach) on an approach in Portland, OR.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 9, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

azflyboy posted:

someone managed to put BUXOM (which sits right over a nude beach) on an approach in Portland, OR.

I want to believe that they put that fix/approach in after they noticed pilots were flying over that point anyways for some reason on their way in.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

azflyboy posted:

One of the best I've seen is an approach in New Hampshire that requires crossing (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE and TATT, with IDEED being the missed approach fix.

Portsmouth

ILS33L at KBOS has NIMOY (as in Leonard) as one of its fixes. And all 5 major pro sports teams have departures named after them (SSOXS [Red Sox], BRUWN [Bruins], CELTK [Celtics], PATSS [Patriots] and REVSS [Revolution]).

Another favorite of mine is an ILS in Lebanon, NH, with, in order, HAMMM, BURGR and FRYYS.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

azflyboy posted:

One of the best I've seen is an approach in New Hampshire that requires crossing (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE and TATT, with IDEED being the missed approach fix. I think the FAA usually won't approve anything that could be construed as controversial or obscene, but someone managed to put BUXOM (which sits right over a nude beach) on an approach in Portland, OR.

Kilonum posted:

Portsmouth
Yep. Flown that one.

Kilonum posted:

ILS33L at KBOS has NIMOY (as in Leonard) as one of its fixes. And all 5 major pro sports teams have departures named after them (SSOXS [Red Sox], BRUWN [Bruins], CELTK [Celtics], PATSS [Patriots] and REVSS [Revolution]).

Another favorite of mine is an ILS in Lebanon, NH, with, in order, HAMMM, BURGR and FRYYS.
I've flown all of these. You're not on the pilot list, would you like to be added?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

AWSEFT posted:

Yep. Flown that one.

I've flown all of these. You're not on the pilot list, would you like to be added?

I'm only a sim pilot :spergin: Mental poo poo would keep me from passing a physical and too poor to afford an SPL.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kilonum posted:

I'm only a sim pilot :spergin: Mental poo poo would keep me from passing a physical and too poor to afford an SPL.

As long as you use that one sim that is STRICTLY SERIOUS AND YOU MUST NOT HAVE FUN WITH IT EVER, we'll let you hang around in here ;)

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
So on the FAA's MedXpress website to apply for a medical it asks "have you seen a health professional in the last 3 years?"

How inclusive do I need to be for this? I honestly can't remember every single time I've seen any sort of health professional in the last 3 years (I take this to include dentist, optometrist, MD, DO, physician's assistant, nurse, whatever) and I just don't have records for more than a few things. What actually needs to be included? Is it ok if I'm missing stuff if I just don't remember?

Thanks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

So on the FAA's MedXpress website to apply for a medical it asks "have you seen a health professional in the last 3 years?"

How inclusive do I need to be for this? I honestly can't remember every single time I've seen any sort of health professional in the last 3 years (I take this to include dentist, optometrist, MD, DO, physician's assistant, nurse, whatever) and I just don't have records for more than a few things. What actually needs to be included? Is it ok if I'm missing stuff if I just don't remember?

Thanks.

If you don't remember it's probably not important enough to put down.

If there are no records absolutely don't put it down.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Thanks.

You don't have to report routine checkups, unless they were for substance abuse issues or resulted in a referral for psychiatric career evaluation.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Just the last three years. The easiest way to find dates is to look at your health insurance history. I include everything unless its a cold. I was having sinus infections and included those since they took me out of work.

Just remember:
Box 18: HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?

Is all inclusive. .

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 10, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I basically never pay with insurance, though. I have a high deductible so there is no point.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

I basically never pay with insurance, though. I have a high deductible so there is no point.

So you are insane. That will disqualify you.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

kmcormick9 posted:

So you are insane. That will disqualify you.

I'm not sure what about saving money on my insurance premium qualifies me as insane but ok...?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Delta pilots just rejected a TA 65/35. In included an %8 pay raise but came along with cuts to profit sharing, work rules, and sick time. Going to be interesting to see where it goes from here.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Very happy to hear it was rejected. That TA was a poo poo sandwich, frankly.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Anybody here receive instruction at
Weltzien Skypark in Wadsworth, OH?

Yep. Cut grass for them and paid for my private and instrument. Had a great experience. After training there for 100 hours or so my landing skills were vastly superior than the guys training out of the other larger airports.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
My instructor today suggested joining the local Civil Air Patrol squadron as a good way to meet other pilots and get free/cheap flying hours in. Does anyone here have experience with CAP? They sound a lot like the boy scouts. I used to be a boy scout, and quit the boy scouts because of how boy scouty the boy scouts are. But I liked it for a while. Is CAP cool/fun?

As always thanks for answering my random stupid questions.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cap is mostly idiots playing pilot dress up.

Also - it's highly "squadron" specific so any anecdotal evidence will be wrong unless they refer to your unit.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

I'm not sure what about saving money on my insurance premium qualifies me as insane but ok...?

Health insurance is intended to be used, which is why it's so expensive. The premium is fixed. It does not go up when you use it. (Cobra?) You are literally throwing money away by having it and paying out of pocket at the doctors office.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Cap is mostly idiots playing pilot dress up.

Also - it's highly "squadron" specific so any anecdotal evidence will be wrong unless they refer to your unit.

Hmm. That is useful to know. I guess I'll just ask about the unit he's in. I'm definitely not interested in the dress-up play military aspect of it. Maybe there's some sort of yelp for CAP squadrons...he said that the one he is in has really really nice new 172s that you can rent out for real cheap if you're a member.

kmcormick9 posted:

Health insurance is intended to be used, which is why it's so expensive. The premium is fixed. It does not go up when you use it. (Cobra?) You are literally throwing money away by having it and paying out of pocket at the doctors office.

I don't want to extend this argument in a thread that is unrelated, so I'll just say--I worked in a healthcare consulting/actuarial firm for two years. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

kmcormick9 posted:

At a prior job, I had a plan with a $3000 yearly deductible. They didn't pay anything until I spent $3000 in the year. Not one red cent. So unless I had major medical bills and got really sick, I was just paying out of pocket. After that deductible was hit though, they paid 100%.

I could have also had a plan with a $500 deductible... but the premium was like $200/mo more, and it only paid out 80%.

Mathwise, I worked out that I was better paying on my own in almost every scenario because when you add the $200 x 12 $2400 in additional premiums, the high deductible plan was cheaper.

(additionally, at said employer, due to the mechanics using our health care plan a lot they actually were running it at a loss and they did jack up the premium the next year, so although your use as an individual doesn't affect your premium, your "group" if on a group plan certainly does). But yeah, way off topic...

• Locked thread