Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you are buying separate certificates for subdomains: That's dumb as gently caress.

Because using one cert everywhere means using the same private key everywhere, gaining access to that key allows interception of traffic to all servers using that private key.

If it's a wildcard for like one server, with many sites then I don't know what the concern is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wibble posted:

For some reason this video reminded me what it was like to work on a big roll out of new desktops for users...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNSQ__AHt4g

This guy is a pro-click zen master.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

baquerd posted:

This guy is a pro-click zen master.

Snake just lunged across four feet of space at me? No big deal, just calmly grab it by the tail and shove it back in the box. Repeat 20 times.

Jesus loving christ I would have been out of there the first loving time one got out of its box, and I LIKE snakes.

(Who am I kidding I wouldn't loving go feed a card catalog filled with snakes).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Alley posted:

(Who am I kidding I wouldn't loving go feed a card catalog filled with snakes).

*ahem*

"Other duties as assigned."

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
The phone call thing sort of struck a nerve with me. During the day shift the Messaging business line would ring non-stop, so our Exchange admins would put whatever they were working on on hold to help the person calling. This was getting major pushback from the admins, because the people calling were just hitting numbers at random on the call tree until someone picked up. Our Messaging folks couldn't tell them to go pound sand because leadership wanted them to help the caller no matter what. It came to a head when all the Exchange admins decided to not touch the phones, leading to a screaming fit by one of the leads, who was told off by a couple of the admins.

Turns out none of the other units would answer the phone, so our Exchange folks were taking calls about AD, Boundary, HBSS, and workstation issues, none of which they could work. Of course, this led to word getting out that our folks were the only ones answering the phones, so everyone just called the Messaging line instead, creating even more headaches. Finally, our unit commander sent out an email calling the other units on their bullshit, and the commander over all the detachments and units dropped the hammer and told the other commanders to get their poo poo together. Our unit was already responsible for closing 60% of the Remedy tickets that came into the queue, and after the warning the phone call volume dropped by like 75%, and ticket resolutions by our unit are even higher than before.

It was announced shortly after this that the contract was being extended for at least another 6 months. I'm thinking this is not coincidence.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
And they all appear to be cobras, that is not how you handle hots!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Today was a fun day...

Bob - Hey, Tab8715 the call you were on earlier was interesting. What was that about?
Tab8715 - Oh, moving around some data disks to another host. It was inaccessible and the only way to fix it is to mount the disk on another OS. We were going through process of re-attaching the previous data disk to another host but the customer decided the whole process of scripting this was taking too long and he's just going to re-build the environment.
Bob - Interesting, what do you think we went wrong? Couldn't have just used a for-loop or a series of pipes with the disk name?
Tab8715 - I'd assume so but I never tried it.
Bob - Why not?
Tab8715 - Because the customer just decided to re-build the environment from scratch as it be faster as opposed to messing around with scripts.
Bob - How come, it seems like if you went through with the series of pipes it would have worked!
Tab8715 - The customer told me that he didn't care any longer and would just rebuild it.
Bob - He wouldn't have to if you tried with pipes or a for-loop. I'm pretty sure it'd be faster to use scripts than re-build the environment.
Tab8715 - :mad:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A vendor sent us some firmware updates.

They are text files, with 1 byte in hex on each line.
code:
FF
6F
FF
A3
8C
BC
E7
F5
A3
FF
A0
FF
Why not just put it in a binary file?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Register posted an opinion piece that I think we can all identify with.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/09/why_i_quit_it_sysadmin_overloads

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

A vendor sent us some firmware updates.

They are text files, with 1 byte in hex on each line.

To avoid getting blocked by email/other AV filters?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nielsm posted:

To avoid getting blocked by email/other AV filters?

They're on CD :haw:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Bob Morales posted:

Someone complained that there wasn't enough data on the disk for what they were paying, so they expanded every file by a factor of 3-6x, depending on the encoding?

Alternatively, they sell a custom tool for "data conversion" to companies they hate.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I opened it up and it was like "they don't even know how computers work..."

Maybe they create the files on some big-endian system that they use to design their circuit boards on.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

The Fool posted:

My cell phone number is xxx-888-yyyy

There is a cell phone insurance claim line that has the same yyyy numbers as my cell phone.

Getting 2 or 3 wrong numbers a month doesn't really bother me, however, if I tell you that you have the wrong number, don't loving call me three more loving times.

My office number used to be xx2-xxx-xxxx and a major auto insurance claim company has the number xx5-xxx-xxxx. I had to request my extension be changed and the old extension be blacklisted due to the frequency of me having to say "No, this is not YYY insurance, you dialed 2 instead of 5 for the area code."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We're in the slow process of updating our wireless infrastructure at the varying sites here. I took the opportunity to simplify the new one over the old, since the existing had multiple guest access ssids based on their role, with varying captive portals to authenticate. In the end we have private network for the domain equipment that doesn't even broadcast its ssid, and one guest one labelled wifi.

I sent out a quick email no more than a few sentences long detailing how to connect to the new network, with a bit of feel-good info about improved performance and controls. It wouldn't even be a 30 second read for any literate adult.

So a few weeks roll around and someone couldn't connect to the new wifi. I tell them how and jokingly say that it's all in the email I sent out if they want more information. Her response - I never read your emails.

Now I doubt this is unusual, but outside of specific issues a user brings up, I send out 3-4 email a year, and they're generally critically important to the recipients day to day operations. I also expect that their eyes will all glaze over if it takes more than 20 seconds to read, and I never use any technical jargon when I can avoid it, so they're not difficult reads. But drat, I never read your emails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

grnberet2b posted:

My office number used to be xx2-xxx-xxxx and a major auto insurance claim company has the number xx5-xxx-xxxx. I had to request my extension be changed and the old extension be blacklisted due to the frequency of me having to say "No, this is not YYY insurance, you dialed 2 instead of 5 for the area code."

We have 1-800-COMPANY-NAME. A completely un-related company in another state has 1-888-COMPANY-NAME

So the front desk gets about 1 out of 4 calls for the wrong company. Best part is the other company is in Texas so many of the callers speak Spanish. The receptionists complain and want us to 'stop this from happening'. Easy solution is use an auto-attendant but the company owner wants every call answered by a live person. Sorry, can't help you there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

We have 1-800-COMPANY-NAME. A completely un-related company in another state has 1-888-COMPANY-NAME

So the front desk gets about 1 out of 4 calls for the wrong company. Best part is the other company is in Texas so many of the callers speak Spanish. The receptionists complain and want us to 'stop this from happening'. Easy solution is use an auto-attendant but the company owner wants every call answered by a live person. Sorry, can't help you there.

How much of your business is out of state? It might be an acceptable trade-off to filter calls from Texas area codes through an auto attendant but keep most going right to the real person. Receptionists get less garbage calls but boss still has his actual customers getting answered live.

I doubt an "answer every call" type boss would go for it, but I've even done whitelists for customers before where known callers get sent directly to the ring group but unknowns get the auto attendant. If your CRM doesn't suck it's often possible to tie the two together.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I wish I could quit but I can't think of anything else I can do well enough to make any appreciable living.

:-(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MJP posted:

I wish I could quit but I can't think of anything else I can do well enough to make any appreciable living.

Whenever I feel like quitting I reminisce about doing plumbing or electrician work. But then I see the price tag to do the certification and apprenticeship dance and I remember it's not so bad to sit around browsing SA all day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bobmarleysghost posted:

So we (not the IT dept) purchased a lovely piece of combo hardware*/software by some amateur guys, in order to save money.
That's fine.

What's not too fine is that heir software has no ability to store data in a SQL server. They use MDB files.
So we told them that and they came back to us with an "ASCII file" for us to use with a script I have to create that will insert that data into our SQL db.

Here's their format:

code:

DOC Data Text File Ver 1.0
TimeStamp: 23/06/2015 2:36:01pm
Part: G1

SampleInfo
Supervisor: "G. Smith"
Operator: "R. Latour"
Line: 5
Part_to_Print: Yes
Supervisor_Notified: n/a
DENSE: n/a
SPONGE: n/a
Alpha: 5.76453
FirstName: "Joe"
LastName: "White"
Employee#: 1853
Comment:"This is where comments would be"

Measurement Data
SubDatum: DatAB
ToolName Actual PassFail
Dim1 2.48876 Fail
Dim2 26.31479 Pass

SubDatum: DatBC
ToolName Actual PassFail
Dim3 2.08657 Fail
Dim4 28.33279 Pass

EOF

Maybe I don't know poo poo, but is this even a recognizable format? It resembles nothing.

So I emailed them back, saying "Please use JSON or XML" and I even gave them this sample:

code:

{
	"timestamp": "23/06/2015 2:36:01pm",
	"part": "G1",
	"sampleInfo": {
		"supervisor": "Jon G",
		"Operator": "R. Latour",
		"Line": "5",
		"Part_to_Print": "Yes",
		"Supervisor_Notified": "n/a",
		"DENSE": "n/a",
		"SPONGE": "n/a",
		"Alpha": "5.76453",
		"FirstName": "Joe",
		"LastName": "White",
		"Employee#": "1853",
		"Comment":"This is where comments would be"
	},
	"measurementData": {
					{"SubDatum": "DataAB",
					 "Dim1": ["2.48876","fail"],
					 "Dim2": ["26.31479","pass"],
					 "Dim3": ["6.30479","pass"],
					},
					{"SubDatum": "DataBC",
					 "Dim1": ["2.08876","fail"],
					 "Dim2": ["2.32179","pass"],
					 "Dim3": ["4.31479","pass"],
					},	
					{"SubDatum": "DataXY",
					 "Dim1": ["2.08876","fail"],
					 "Dim2": ["2.32179","pass"],
					 "Dim3": ["4.31479","pass"],
					},	
	}

}

They emailed me back saying that "most of our customers prefer the ASCII format".
I replied saying to please give it to me in XML or JSON format. Waiting to see what they come back with.

* the "hardware" is a lower tier DELL desktop with all bloatware still on it and zero restrictions - they knew this computer will be sitting on the plant floor to be used as a kiosk

The flat file actually looks relatively easily parseable. Line breaks are delimiters, two in a row for each new section. Key/value via colons, except for those pass fail parts.

They probably have a lot of clients that just rolled their own parser in C in the 90s and never bothered updating.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Judging from "Dim1" and "Dim2", I'm guessing it's a terrible VB6 parser.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Supervisor_Notified: n/a
DENSE: n/a
Alpha: 5.76453
FirstName:

PICK A VARIABLE NAMING CONVENTION

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So a few weeks roll around and someone couldn't connect to the new wifi. I tell them how and jokingly say that it's all in the email I sent out if they want more information. Her response - I never read your emails.

Now I doubt this is unusual, but outside of specific issues a user brings up, I send out 3-4 email a year, and they're generally critically important to the recipients day to day operations. I also expect that their eyes will all glaze over if it takes more than 20 seconds to read, and I never use any technical jargon when I can avoid it, so they're not difficult reads. But drat, I never read your emails.

Oh yeah. I've had managerial-level people just flat out say "I don't read emails from IT."

Well, I'm sorry you came in on the weekend to use the Internet (1997) on the weekend I'm pulling cable for our new DSL connection. No, I can't just "plug it back in". You had to step around spools of cable to get here from the elevator. That's a big fat no, and pouting won't help.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Unless somebody has explicitly requested/demonstrated that they're capable of handling an e-mail with detailed information about an issue, I keep my e-mails down to 1-2 sentences, a "Let me know if you have any questions or concerns" line, and that's it.

And ONE (1) question per e-mail, max.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

guppy posted:

The best thing I ever did was quit my job. I will never work in "IT" ever again. I am going to school for math/CS and will probably do a PhD and then I will be freeeeeeeeeeee.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Demonachizer posted:

freeeeeeeeeeee.

Hope you don't need student loans.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Hope you don't need student loans.

I don't :)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This guy left maybe five voicemails back to back, and two of them had no message in them. When I heard this first voicemail, I wasn't completely convinced he was talking to or about us: http://tindeck.com/listen/nrkan

But then, I listened to this voicemail: http://tindeck.com/listen/dvclh

You should turn down your volume for that second one, and :nws: for language if you've got speakers.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

I think I have finally found the worst exchange mailbox, 76GB in size, 144K items.
What kind of person possesses a mailbox like this you might ask yourself? How about a manager that has only worked for this company since September of last year.

:psyboom:

Seriously, how do you even do this? I guess I shouldn't be that surprised since ~5% of the mailbox users account for 40% of storage consumption for this client. But still, 76 GB in about 10 months, what the poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Harry Lime posted:

I think I have finally found the worst exchange mailbox, 76GB in size, 144K items.

I still have you beat

What's his filled with?

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I still have you beat

What's his filled with?

Don't know yet, haven't taken a look. Speculating on what the hell he has been doing for the past 10 months to accumulate that has been half the fun. Was that person's mailbox on the exchange server that large as well or was that an offloaded archive? Part of what impresses me about the 76GB is that is the size on the exchange server.

Harry Lime fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 13, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Harry Lime posted:

Don't know yet, haven't taken a look. Speculating on what the hell he has been doing for the past 10 months to accumulate that has been half the fun. Was that person's mailbox on the exchange server that large as well or was that an offloaded archive? Part of what impresses me about the 76GB is that is the size on the exchange server.

We didn't have an exchange server (just plain POP3/SMTP using iMail 2005) and everyone kept their mailbox local :eek:

This also means mailboxes were not really backed up, there were workstation backups but the PST's were never guaranteed to work. Before I left I began a migration to hosted Exchange, we got about 90% of the way before my last day. This particular woman was one of the last to move (because she had the most email, poo poo I would have moved her first but it wasn't up to me) and a few months after I left they still hadn't finished the migration, her hard drive crashed and the backups weren't running for whatever reason (garbage!) and she lost all her email.

:lol:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 13, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Please for the love of god someone come in even earlier and turn on the loving AC. It should not blow hot air on my face when I open the door from the already incredibly hot and humid outside temperature. I should not have to sit in this hot rear end environment for two hours sweating my balls off sitting in my chair.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Please for the love of god someone come in even earlier and turn on the loving AC. It should not blow hot air on my face when I open the door from the already incredibly hot and humid outside temperature. I should not have to sit in this hot rear end environment for two hours sweating my balls off sitting in my chair.

My office goes from 60 degrees in the winter to 85 in the summer. It's comfortable for about 3 weeks of the year. Uninsulated and no HVAC.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

My office goes from 60 degrees in the winter to 85 in the summer. It's comfortable for about 3 weeks of the year. Uninsulated and no HVAC.

I couldn't work there. It's finally down to 75ish and I"m still sweating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Owners youngest kid is interning here for the summer. He decided to use the IT department as his personal source for computer parts and supplies.

"Hey I need some DVI cables"

"do you have a monitor I can use"

"Got any spare video cards"

I don't mind the requests from the owners such as "Do we have an old PC that Peewee can have? Can you buy a new PC for Peewee?" But don't just come in here pilfering through poo poo.

I normally leave the storage room open throughout the day but he kept going in there while I was gone, so I locked it. About 2 hours later the key is missing from my desk drawer. That was Tuesday.

I haven't seen him since which is weird because he's butt-buddies with a different intern who they stuck in our area.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

This guy left maybe five voicemails back to back, and two of them had no message in them. When I heard this first voicemail, I wasn't completely convinced he was talking to or about us: http://tindeck.com/listen/nrkan

But then, I listened to this voicemail: http://tindeck.com/listen/dvclh

You should turn down your volume for that second one, and :nws: for language if you've got speakers.

:stonk:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Finally got some information from the company buying us... and I might have burned a bridge with my new manager on Friday by calling him out on a conference call. Good thing I have an interview today and he's not a reference. Wish me luck. :yotj:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gothmog1065 posted:

I put in a programmable thermostat to get around this problem but then realized it runs forever in the morning to catch up and everyone near the vents bitches about it. So now it stays at the same temp 24/7 in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

Owners youngest kid is interning here for the summer. He decided to use the IT department as his personal source for computer parts and supplies.

"Hey I need some DVI cables"

"do you have a monitor I can use"

"Got any spare video cards"

I don't mind the requests from the owners such as "Do we have an old PC that Peewee can have? Can you buy a new PC for Peewee?" But don't just come in here pilfering through poo poo.

I normally leave the storage room open throughout the day but he kept going in there while I was gone, so I locked it. About 2 hours later the key is missing from my desk drawer. That was Tuesday.

I haven't seen him since which is weird because he's butt-buddies with a different intern who they stuck in our area.

Seems like disciplining him for theft would be a useful lesson for an intern to learn that you don't steal from your employer.

Who am I kidding: his father has probably already emptied your pension fund to buy a new boat.