Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Equilibrium posted:

I'm trying to set up gzdoom so it begins each level from a pistol start for anthology megawads like 10sector and 1024. I tried creating a mapinfo that does a resetinventory and resethealth for each level, and that much works, but now all my maps are missing skyboxes. I'm new to this so I don't really know what I'm doing, any suggestions?

There's a mod that will do this for you. It might be in the op? If not, Google pistol start wad and you should find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Doom 3 discussion count here? I am interested in a graphics mod with widescreen support and maybe some nicer textures. I saw the BFG edition and reviews said it runs at 60fps instead of 30, I assume that is for consoles? Or will the BFG edtion perform better on the same PC hardware? I think I don't want the BFG edition because the screenshots I see are are too bright. I just want the flashlight to stay on when I shoot and have a slightly larger radius. I would also love to remove the flashlight and fists from the weapons scroll.

Side note, so far in my play through I am finding that it is annoying when mobs spawn directly in front of or behind you, I don't remember that happening a lot in classic Doom. Thus far, I think my favorite FPS is still Quake 2. . . and I lost my Q2 CD.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Get Sikkmod. It allows you to set up a body armor light as a setting, as well as IR goggles, character walk and run speed, ammo counts and a slew of other settings you might like.
Also, it's probably best not to play the game on Veteran difficulty. It's fun at first, but by the point of the reactor core and the introduction of lost souls, the game becomes unfun reeeeally fast due to the sudden shift in power the game starts to have. (also Lost souls have the worst AI ever and are like fighting daikatana flies all over again.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've recently become a convert of the Pistol StartTM way of doing things. I've started another effort to PS my way through Doom II cough with Brutal Doom v20 cough and it's a lot of fun. I always thought it would be a pain in the rear end to lose all your stuff every map, but part of good map design is making sure the player has the tools they need to do the job.

It also encourages more aggressive play because 1. you need to run out into the chaos more often, since camping the start area killing Imps and Pinkys isn't going to get you any more shotgun shells, and 2. there's no reason to hold anything back for the next map so you might as well use everything you find. Of course this also means that on maps with light weapon/ammo drops you might end up needing to punch some dudes to conserve ammo, which comes with its own set of challenges and strategies for each map.

One thing that was bugging me is a lot of maps don't seem to have a SSG spawn, I guess they're assuming most players will have one from a previous map? Since the SSG is kind of a big part of Doom II gameplay I wanted a way to get it more consistently so I finally sat down with SLADE and figured out how to add custom monsters into the game. Hint: use a PK3 not a WAD (what do you mean this format doesn't support directories? :downs: ). My goal is to pick out the cool stuff from Realm667, tweak their stats and have them spawn in replacing appropriate monsters in a way that just adds a little variety without going overboard. I really like there being a few variants of the different monsters rather than mowing down rooms full of clones, but being attacked by a rainbow of custom sprites all the time also gets old. One of Doom's greatest strengths is its simplicity after all.

Right now I've got a SSG Zombie spawning in replacing 1% of regular Shotguy Guys, so on an 'average' Doom map it should only happen one or two times. I hope to slowly work through and get a few different flavors of all the different monsters. Are there any good resources for Doom sounds? The most I've been able to find is a SFX pack with higher quality stock sounds, but I'd really like to be able to give certain custom monsters unique idle/view/death sounds.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

I've started another effort to PS my way through Doom II cough with Brutal Doom v20 cough and it's a lot of fun.
I thought Brutal didn't have pistols anymore.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I've recently become a convert of the Pistol StartTM way of doing things. I've started another effort to PS my way through Doom II cough with Brutal Doom v20 cough and it's a lot of fun. I always thought it would be a pain in the rear end to lose all your stuff every map, but part of good map design is making sure the player has the tools they need to do the job.

It also encourages more aggressive play because 1. you need to run out into the chaos more often, since camping the start area killing Imps and Pinkys isn't going to get you any more shotgun shells, and 2. there's no reason to hold anything back for the next map so you might as well use everything you find. Of course this also means that on maps with light weapon/ammo drops you might end up needing to punch some dudes to conserve ammo, which comes with its own set of challenges and strategies for each map.

One thing that was bugging me is a lot of maps don't seem to have a SSG spawn, I guess they're assuming most players will have one from a previous map? Since the SSG is kind of a big part of Doom II gameplay I wanted a way to get it more consistently so I finally sat down with SLADE and figured out how to add custom monsters into the game. Hint: use a PK3 not a WAD (what do you mean this format doesn't support directories? :downs: ). My goal is to pick out the cool stuff from Realm667, tweak their stats and have them spawn in replacing appropriate monsters in a way that just adds a little variety without going overboard. I really like there being a few variants of the different monsters rather than mowing down rooms full of clones, but being attacked by a rainbow of custom sprites all the time also gets old. One of Doom's greatest strengths is its simplicity after all.

Right now I've got a SSG Zombie spawning in replacing 1% of regular Shotguy Guys, so on an 'average' Doom map it should only happen one or two times. I hope to slowly work through and get a few different flavors of all the different monsters. Are there any good resources for Doom sounds? The most I've been able to find is a SFX pack with higher quality stock sounds, but I'd really like to be able to give certain custom monsters unique idle/view/death sounds.

Once you feel confident enough, go to Shotgun starts in Quake 1 and Blaster starts in Quake 2. Nothing like slowly pinking each Gunner to death with a wimpy laser pistol to really get the challenge going. :v:

When you've done them, beat Daikatana doing a pistol start in each map. In Hard. With Superfly and Mikiko. :unsmigghh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

closeted republican posted:

When you've done them, beat Daikatana doing a pistol start in each map. In Hard. With Superfly and Mikiko. :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWpZ-Y_KvU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is Quake 2 actually designed for blaster starts like that? When would you strip your weapons?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure it was not, but if you want to fight gladiators with a blaster, knock yourself out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
[quote="Geight" post="447556840"
Is Quake 2 actually designed for blaster starts like that?
[/quote]

Nope not at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it implemented a more connected style of progression, so no, there's no way a 'pistol start' would even really work. someone could try doing it but no matter what it would end up being awful.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Most of Quake 1 isn't built for Shotgun starts either. You could do it early on in an episode, but the the time you reach the halfway point in an episode, it would consist of you speedrunning to the nearest Grenade/Rocket Launcher or Super Nailgun, then picking off only essential enemies in order to conserve valuable nail and rocket ammo. It'd be a speedrun with a little more killin'. Some custom mapsets, like the ikspq and terra series, are built for it from start to finish, though.

Blaster starting each Quake 2 map is possible in theory, but it would be very boring and a few mistakes would make things extremely difficult.

Pistol starting Daikatana might actually work in Episode 2 without partners. The Discus is quite powerful and you can get extra Discii without Mikiko grabbing them and using it like a dipshit. Trying it any other way is loving insane.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought Brutal didn't have pistols anymore.

True, so it's really a Rifle Start. And it's even worse because my HUD mod tries to emulate Doomguy's power armor with a helmet HUD and various forms of battle damage as you lose and gain armor, so I also spawn with 80 armor :v: Still get my rear end kicked half the time, I'm not good at Doom.

The mod is really nice though, if you don't mind a little more clutter around the edges of your screen I recommend checking it out. Can't link it from work but it's on Moddb as the Ultimate DoomVisor. The author has been really good about continually developing/improving things, and most parts of the mod are toggle-able so if you don't like something (like the voice options to warn you of low ammo etc) you can turn them off. The latest version includes a helmet- or shoulder-mounted flashlight, and a monster HP bar when your crosshairs are on them. The HP bar sounds weird, but it's actually really useful to be able to look at a thing and tell how much more it will take to kill it, and to keep track of identical enemies when you're trying to focus them down one at a time. I've saved a lot of shells by kicking the last bit of life out of Pinkys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two things I always hated about Quake, despite loving the game, are the sound of the shotgun, and how every weapon was centered.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two things I always hated about Quake, despite loving the game, are the sound of the shotgun, and how every weapon was centered.

yeah I'd say from playing so far, the weapons are the weakest part of the game, with the shotgun and double barreled shotgun being completely useless

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

As opposed to nearly every other FPS until that point?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

yeah I'd say from playing so far, the weapons are the weakest part of the game, with the shotgun and double barreled shotgun being completely useless
Funny, the shotguns are the guns I tend to get the most mileage out of in Quake. At least, for fights that tend to get close-range, in which explosives would do more harm than good; as a wise man once said, "a bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat".

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

The Shotgun's low spread makes it a great weapon for long range-work. I use it to pick off far-away Scrags and Ogres.

The Super Shotgun is the jack-of-all-trades weapon. It isn't as powerful as the high-tier weapons, but it has a good firing rate and shells are very common. The only bad part is that you need to get in close. I use it the most if the map maker is feeling stingy with explosives.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

As opposed to nearly every other FPS until that point?

For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me with Doom/Doom 2, but as soon as you get to 3D, it looks weird.

By the same token, I find Duke's forced perspective kind of weird. I've mentioned it before, but his pistol almost looks like a microphone.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Takes No Damage posted:

True, so it's really a Rifle Start. And it's even worse because my HUD mod tries to emulate Doomguy's power armor with a helmet HUD and various forms of battle damage as you lose and gain armor, so I also spawn with 80 armor :v: Still get my rear end kicked half the time, I'm not good at Doom.

The mod is really nice though, if you don't mind a little more clutter around the edges of your screen I recommend checking it out. Can't link it from work but it's on Moddb as the Ultimate DoomVisor. The author has been really good about continually developing/improving things, and most parts of the mod are toggle-able so if you don't like something (like the voice options to warn you of low ammo etc) you can turn them off. The latest version includes a helmet- or shoulder-mounted flashlight, and a monster HP bar when your crosshairs are on them. The HP bar sounds weird, but it's actually really useful to be able to look at a thing and tell how much more it will take to kill it, and to keep track of identical enemies when you're trying to focus them down one at a time. I've saved a lot of shells by kicking the last bit of life out of Pinkys.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/doomvisor-hud-for-pa1nki113r-v51

With screenshots!

With intact armor.

With damaged armor.

:frogsiren: You can tweak almost every single aspect of the hud via an ingame menu :frogsiren:

That means switching off the damaged visor and blood, along with turning off stuff like those weapon and ammo lists.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Klaus88 posted:

With screenshots!

With intact armor.

With damaged armor.

:frogsiren: You can tweak almost every single aspect of the hud via an ingame menu :frogsiren:

That means switching off the damaged visor and blood, along with turning off stuff like those weapon and ammo lists.

I'm sure someone will come in with :byodood: "VANILLA Doom OR GTFO" :byodood: but I like it :)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm sure someone will come in with :byodood: "VANILLA Doom OR GTFO" :byodood: but I like it :)

I can be applied to vanilla doom. :eng99:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It seems like there's always more posts about those rabid vanilla doom-lovers who will surely decry this thing than there are posts by vanilla doom-lovers decrying a thing. I would not use that HUD, but it looks neat.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I'm gonna say that HUD looks pretty great. A bit too cheesy, but I like the small features like Doomguy's face still being there and all the weapons available.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Geight posted:

It seems like there's always more posts about those rabid vanilla doom-lovers who will surely decry this thing than there are posts by vanilla doom-lovers decrying a thing. I would not use that HUD, but it looks neat.

Nah

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me with Doom/Doom 2, but as soon as you get to 3D, it looks weird.

By the same token, I find Duke's forced perspective kind of weird. I've mentioned it before, but his pistol almost looks like a microphone.

Whoa man, Quake 1 center weapons are as they should be :colbert:

I'm so glad they added the quake 1 rocket to TF2 and when they did they made it center. Its the only centered gun in TF2. Its so perfect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Klaus88 posted:

With screenshots!

With intact armor.

With damaged armor.

This just reminds me that someone once got most of the way to a working HUD based on the Doom Alpha 0.2 HUD, but then stopped working on it:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Takes No Damage posted:

One thing that was bugging me is a lot of maps don't seem to have a SSG spawn, I guess they're assuming most players will have one from a previous map?

It depends on the specific level you're playing, but basically every Doom mapper these days knows that the SSG is really imporant and the map will be designed accordingly (including maps where you have to do without the SSG for a while if you're pistol starting).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it implemented a more connected style of progression, so no, there's no way a 'pistol start' would even really work. someone could try doing it but no matter what it would end up being awful.

The game has configuration files you can exec that will send you to the map at the start of one of each of the game's units (the interconnected map sets that you have to backtrack through before finding the final exit) and it adds weapons, armour, ammo, and items appropriate to that part of the game. So even id didn't think a blaster start was appropriate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never really liked Quake 2 :bahgawd:

The sounds, the feel of it all, the atmosphere... Q1 kind of really felt like a Nine Inch Nails game, with its mix of gothic and machine architecture. Quake 2 felt devoid of personality, and I didn't find it that fun. Then again, I never played it online nor did I ever play Action Quake 2, which was raved about by people I knew.

I had dial up for such a long time :negative:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

I never really liked Quake 2 :bahgawd:

The sounds, the feel of it all, the atmosphere... Q1 kind of really felt like a Nine Inch Nails game, with its mix of gothic and machine architecture. Quake 2 felt devoid of personality, and I didn't find it that fun. Then again, I never played it online nor did I ever play Action Quake 2, which was raved about by people I knew.

I had dial up for such a long time :negative:

Quake 2 is fine as a game, but it's disappointing in retrospect when you compare it to Quake 1. The killer is that it doesn't have Romero's frantic speed and combat you seen in Doom and Quake 1. It's technically fast, but if you play some Q2DM right after Q1DM, you'll notice a big difference in speed and combat pace. Q1DM is basically a fast-paced cartoon, with people bouncing around everywhere because of rocket blasts and your fast speed meaning very quck kills and deaths. Q2DM feels a lot more controlled with the Rocket Launcher nerf and Railgun removing the crazy close-quarters cartoon feel of Quake 1 deathmatch in favor of more ranged blasting. It's fun, but it doesn't have Quake 1's magic. Ironically, Daikatana DM is a much better successor to Q1DM than Q2DM is becuase Romero kept Q1's frantic pace, but added even more crazy projectile weapons, like a remote-bomb launcher and an electric ball shooter that works very well as an anti-pursuit device and can clear out a hallway in seconds.

Q2SP's map design is a lot more flat compared to Quake 1's amazing vertical maps, which kills some of the fun. Combat is also a bit slower paced compared to Q1. It seems I spend most of my time a decent distance away from enemies in Q2, while in Q1, I'm zooming past them while hamming them with the Super Shotgun, Nailguns, and Lighting Gun while dodging Ogre grenades like a pro.

I will say that the weapons feel quite fun to use. The Chaingun is godly as a weapon and the Q2 Super Shotgun is one of iD's best weapons.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

Eh, it's a HUD. Not really gameplay-changing; as far as I care, use whatever floats your boat.

Well, really, the same goes for gameplay mods, too, but HUDs in particular seems like a dumb thing to get :byodood: over.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I will say that the weapons feel quite fun to use. The Chaingun is godly as a weapon and the Q2 Super Shotgun is one of iD's best weapons.

Q2's super shotgun still remains as one of the weapons that impressed me the most the first time I used it. Even today it sounds awesome because of the BOOM and clunky pump sound. The chaingun actually resembles better the sound of a minigun since is a long fart once it gets its max rate of fire. I still like Quake 1 more than 2 for the whole level design and look but I like Q2's weapons more.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

I feel like Quake 2's real killer was the level design. I could've tolerated the orange, brown and gray if it had been as well-designed and as creative as 1's. Instead it feels like this awkward transitioning period between Half-Life's nonlinear realism and Quake's linear surreality.

The weapons kicked loving rear end, with the thunderous super shotgun gibbing anything smaller than a Berserker and the ultra-satisfying grenade launcher's KACHUNKATHUNK lobbing grenades everywhere. The enemy design was also metal as hell, with cyborg humans geared up to be all sorts of machine-raped monstrosities like hovering laser UFOs and garden hose tongued mechdogs. If Quake 2 had more linear level design like Quake, it wouldn't have revolutionized much in the FPS industry, but it never really did when it was released either, so it would've came out a better product anyway as the team knew just how to make those kinds of maps, even if they didn't have Romero on the team then.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

One of the Q2's biggest draws was the praised system of hub levels and interconnected sections if the maps, because it seemed very new at the time, with only Hexen trying to do something like this before.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The only level I had problems with was the Power Plant. I had to skip past it because I had no idea what I was doing.

I am desperate for some Blood-like game or mod right now, anybody have any suggestions?

Also, I like the look of that HUD, but I like fairly clean HUDs so I'd likely never use it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Douk Douk posted:

I feel like Quake 2's real killer was the level design. I could've tolerated the orange, brown and gray if it had been as well-designed and as creative as 1's. Instead it feels like this awkward transitioning period between Half-Life's nonlinear realism and Quake's linear surreality.

The weapons kicked loving rear end, with the thunderous super shotgun gibbing anything smaller than a Berserker and the ultra-satisfying grenade launcher's KACHUNKATHUNK lobbing grenades everywhere. The enemy design was also metal as hell, with cyborg humans geared up to be all sorts of machine-raped monstrosities like hovering laser UFOs and garden hose tongued mechdogs. If Quake 2 had more linear level design like Quake, it wouldn't have revolutionized much in the FPS industry, but it never really did when it was released either, so it would've came out a better product anyway as the team knew just how to make those kinds of maps, even if they didn't have Romero on the team then.

That's my feeling with Q2SP as well. Q2 revolutionized the genre because of the technology, not because of the gameplay and map design, both are which are a step down from Quake 1.

I think another problem with Q2 is that there isn't really a lot of content for a player in 2015 to use. Almost all of the mods for it were made for MP, which is pretty much dead, and the majority of them do not have bot support. Once you've played the SP campaign, suffered through the expansion packs, and picked up Eraser bot and the AQ2 bot, that's pretty much all you have as far as content goes.

Meanwhile, Doom and Quake 1 both have two decades of content for you to tear through that a single person can enjoy. Doom has a ton of high-quality SP maps and mods along with active co-op, while Quake has a lot of excellent SP maps, two expansion packs, some mods, and great bots whenever you want to play some deathmatch.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 10, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

laserghost posted:

One of the Q2's biggest draws was the praised system of hub levels and interconnected sections if the maps, because it seemed very new at the time, with only Hexen trying to do something like this before.
The pre-Wolf3D Catacomb 3-D had a small hub level leading into four levels where you had to collect clues and find the exit from the hub.

Edit:

catlord posted:

I am desperate for some Blood-like game or mod right now, anybody have any suggestions?
If you haven't done them yet try Catacomb 3-D and its follow-up trilogy. They're old but Blood-like. You have only one main weapon and specials that fire in bursts and in a circle around you, but the level design is decent and varied. There are enemies walking out of walls, evil trees and statues coming to life and a few other enemy quirks. Also, there's a status bar of sorts that always tells you what the area you're in is called so it's not like Wolf3D where what square room #247 is supposed to be is anyone's guess.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 10, 2015

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

catlord posted:

Welcome to my life.

If you haven't played the Death Wish mod for Blood now, go do it and find all of the secret levels and love every second of it.

As someone that personally loves Blood above any other FPS, I liked Chasm: The Rift actually despite its boring level design, mostly because of the fun dismemberment system, unique weaponry and strange bestiary. It leans more towards the Quake side of things, but it's still pretty fun.

Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi is also excellent in spookiness and dark horror movie-inspired monsters, though again it can be kind of plain as far as level design. I like how it randomly generates levels, though. There's also Shadow Man, which is more like a third-person action adventure than an FPS, but it has a dark and thick atmosphere that reminds me a lot of what Blood also had while also having unique level design and art direction.

Vivisector: Beast Within is something that I've almost never seen talked about in this thread. It's buggy as hell like all Eastern European games, but I found it very unique and fun. It's not very dark, but it's gory as hell and its dynamic flesh and armor gore thing going on never really made combat dull for me, though other few people that played it said it felt awkward to control and the enemies were bullet spongy.

It goes without saying Clive Barker's Undying is excellent as well, and is probably better than any of the other games I've talked about. Excellent story, great dark atmosphere, and awesome-feeling weaponry and exploration.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Q2 chaingun plus quad damage pickup is the most powerful I've ever felt in a FPS. HL2's overcharged gravity gun came close, but even that was pretty limited compared to nearly instant death you could inflict in SP and MP in Q2 with that weapon combo.