Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love that dude, I want to meet that guy irl and ask what part of the script writing team he works on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That reminds me that I haven't played DeSu2, so how's the gameplay compared to Overclocked, and how many times am I responsible for taking care of suicidal NPCs?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

That reminds me, I haven't played DeSu2, so how's the gameplay compared to Overclocked, and how many times am I responsible for taking care of suicidal NPCs?

Not too often actually. I can only think of a few times I had a mission to protect NPCs.

A lot less than the first DeSu at least.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
i am meeting laura bailey tomorrow and will beg her personally to come back as rise and also to sign dungeons and dragons paraphernalia

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please tell her I said hi and loved her in the new Gears of War trailer.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

Not too often actually. I can only think of a few times I had a mission to protect NPCs.

A lot less than the first DeSu at least.

That's nice to hear. It wasn't really that bad since even the generic salaryman could take a hit or two, but it was still more of an annoyance than a challenge.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm fairly impressed with some of DeSu2's voice acting besides that one police officer who must have been a temp track placeholder because holy poo poo there is no good reason that take would have been kept otherwise.

Daichi, Joe, and Fumi's performance styles stand out as the best, at least to me. Fumi's actress does this kind of nonplussed naturalism and actually reminded me of an attitude/speech style I've seen in real life.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
A lot of people are saying they'd rather import it since the menues are mostly English either way.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The policeman is clearly a devil in disguise, it's no wonder he's not used to speaking naturally.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Szurumbur posted:

The policeman is clearly a devil in disguise

Just like all cops :rolleyes:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just like all cops :rolleyes:

ACAD

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm currently playing through the new story of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, and boy did they introduce one hell of an overpowered skill. Roughly at the same time as you get Drain, you can get Shield All EX, a super-bullshit Auto Skill that gives you an automatic Shield All at the start of every fight for 18 MP. In case you've forgotten, Shield All nulls one non-almighty attack, with the associated loss and gain of bonus turns. Essentially, whoever is using it might as well be invincible.

The new skills I've seen up to now range from kind of useless (Extra Zero removes all skill costs during extra turns) through situationally useful (Demon Dance is a Curse-element Dance-type move that does 2-5 hits for 25% of current HP -- it's very good against bosses and mid-bosses that don't negate it; Kinetic Vision is an Auto Skill that buffs the whole party's stats by 50% whenever someone dodges an attack) to super-overpowered (Shield All EX).

I get the feeling they slipped up on the difficulty in general, to be honest. The first boss has an attack range of one and is therefore a complete joke, and while the second one can be a bit of a dick move (there are four mid-bosses; they and the final boss gain Null against whatever element you used to finish the others off, leaving you one element and Curse at the end), his over-reliance on Ice makes him a bit of an offensive pushover. Ice is the best element to leave him vulnerable against, because you get Wendigo -- a demon who reflects ice -- at the same time as you fight the boss, allowing you to kill him just by reflecting his own Bufudynes.

As for the story... eh. They could have done something good with the intrigue that they introduce at the start, but it quickly gets jettisoned in favor of the crew getting back together and picking up DeSu2's jarring superposition of summer comedy slapstick jokes and a hopeless apocalyptic scenario. I don't like the plot, but the dialogue's good enough.

Neeksy posted:

I'm fairly impressed with some of DeSu2's voice acting besides that one police officer who must have been a temp track placeholder because holy poo poo there is no good reason that take would have been kept otherwise.

Daichi, Joe, and Fumi's performance styles stand out as the best, at least to me. Fumi's actress does this kind of nonplussed naturalism and actually reminded me of an attitude/speech style I've seen in real life.

Yeah; it ranges from bad to good enough. I don't know what they told Io's voice actress to do, but she consistently sounds like she ran ten miles to get to the studio and is desperately trying to catch her breath. I also don't like the pick they made for Jungo -- he sounds way too high-pitched and wimpy for the coolest, manliest character. Other than that, it's okay which I'm thankful for because for some reason Atlus hates the idea of leaving the original japanese voice acting in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Extra Zero is great why would you call it useless

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I appreciate that Atlus kills the JP voices and records an English version for the English speaking parts of the world.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Only Atlus can tell why Atlus doesn't leave in JP voices, but if smaller localization companies can do it, I figure Atlus probably could, too.

As for Extra Zero, it's too situational in my view and you're better off sticking to Tyrants and Divines for MP.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
we're going to save all the idols

and return to our world on our own terms

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
persona 4: let us all scum together: dancing all night

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

hubris.height posted:

persona 4: let us all cum together: dancing all night

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
drat dude, that's kinda hosed up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Only Atlus can tell why Atlus doesn't leave in JP voices, but if smaller localization companies can do it, I figure Atlus probably could, too.

As for Extra Zero, it's too situational in my view and you're better off sticking to Tyrants and Divines for MP.

They feel like having Japanese dialog makes people completely ignore the English one and then the English one becomes less important and eventually terrible.

Personally I don't mind, a game like Persona 4 had amazing VA in English

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They feel like having Japanese dialog makes people completely ignore the English one and then the English one becomes less important and eventually terrible.

Dubs being phased out and removed due to loud people demanding subs/boycotting is one of my big fears for localized games cause I really like some peoples' voices.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah, the dubbing in both P3P and P4G was really good, so I'm generally fine with it, but let's hope Rise's new VA's actual dialogue lines are a lot better than what was in the trailer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HGH posted:

Dubs being phased out and removed due to loud people demanding subs/boycotting is one of my big fears for localized games cause I really like some peoples' voices.

Ultimately that will never be the case, it will always be if dubs are too costly for the scope and timing of the project.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like the lack of original VO because it makes sub-only people get really mad.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, the dubbing in both P3P was really good

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

no I will never let this go

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

THE ENEMY

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fuuka is good and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I have zero problems with Fuuka's voice acting. :shrug:

This is completely distinct from the fact that she never shuts up in combat, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have zero problems with Fuuka's voice acting. :shrug:

YOU might be. deaf

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Fuuka has the most robotic voice in a game that features a literal robot.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The weird thing about JP dub vs Eng dub is that in most cases it WOULD be far cheaper to not do english voices, since they cost waaay more than Japanese voices (who are paid peanuts in comparison)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
tales of hearts isn't done any favors by having no dub imho

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

her voice sounds exactly how she looks so it is good idk what you can possibly complain about in relation to Fuuka except that Girl Who Bullies Fuuka is not a dotable S Link

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Use. pa-tra or. a. me pa-tra gem

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hubris.height posted:

tales of hearts isn't done any favors by having no dub imho

Mainly because they clearly translated the text with the intention of dubbing it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

The weird thing about JP dub vs Eng dub is that in most cases it WOULD be far cheaper to not do english voices, since they cost waaay more than Japanese voices (who are paid peanuts in comparison)

They are absolutely not and most english VAs who are both union and non-union have to take multiple acting jobs over the course of a single year so that way they can make ends meet unless they are in Triple A games like Troy Baker is and even he is still in more games than he probably should be. The only VAs in America who are paid relatively well are actual actors who do voice work for animated films and the Simpsons voice actors. Comparatively most JP vas are actually treated like stars over there and while they aren't paid as much as some actual actors are, they don't need to do more than what the normally do because they are usually paid well.

It would be cheaper not to do English voices, but beyond the fact that most Japanese-only games don't get much publicity and end up niche, some Japanese companies actually ask for it and fund it. Atlus is probably one of those very companies and it might even be their decision to not have a Japanese voice track rather than anything Atlus USA has a say in. That being said, this is all conjecture because there's never been official word on this whole thing from Atlus beyond someone saying "The audio files for the JP voices take up too much disc space." which used in relation to Vanilla P4 some years ago.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ruggington you will always be wrong about Fuuka's VA, because part of that voice's charm is that is sounds really stunted and dorky.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think I remember some atlus employee tweeting that including the JP dub was admitting that they don't have confidence in the english dub, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

Ruggington you will always be wrong about Fuuka's VA, because part of that voice's charm is that is sounds really stunted and dorky.

I agree with you.