Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weirdo posted:

"It's not so far fetched to see a future where GamerGate (or one of its intellectual descendants, for you gaming-ethics purists) coalesces into a full fledged political movement with parliamentary seats in all manner of Western democracies."

:madmax:

They're called reactionaries and we've had them for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

whoa look at that you're still full of poo poo

Next up: "Well she may have contacted them but the evidence wasn't acceptable, so that's a kind of lying!"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably not but I can see it as a future outlet for modern conservatives who are smart enough to play the game and not sound like a hukabee/trump in public to get votes from younger people. or it will just end up being more /pol/ stuff.

What do you mean "future"? Milo and Sommers et al. are already there.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

GG's genesis is rooted in harassment of women. Literally the very first tweet under the GamerGate hashtag was a video slandering her for false allegations about her sex life.

She admitted all things in that Internet Aristocrat video, the only thing GG falsely fixated on was she did so under to get better coverage, but even then much of the outrage was it was attributed it to Nathan Greyson and the correct idea that there was zero professional line between journalists and their friends on the indie scene. Then Quinn did something dumb and tried to stop discussion on it rather than let idiots gossip, which lead GG writing a bunch of conspiracy theories about her involvement in this.

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem
I`m anti-censorship of any media, which in my opinion has nothing or little to do with all of this.

But reading this thread a bit makes me wonder, should i be worried or is it just alot of shouting?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

NutritiousSnack posted:

She admitted all things in that Internet Aristocrat video,

Did she now. I guess the evidence of that is filed right next to the portfolio on Arthur Chu's widely acknowledged nazi activity between 2011 and 2014.

quote:

Then Quinn did something dumb and tried to stop discussion on it rather than let idiots gossip, which lead GG writing a bunch of conspiracy theories about her involvement in this.

Gosh, when you put it that way, GG's origins seem perfectly noble and not at all rooted in irrational hatred!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Solemn Lemons posted:

I`m anti-censorship of any media, which in my opinion has nothing or little to do with all of this.

But reading this thread a bit makes me wonder, should i be worried or is it just alot of shouting?

Gamergate has actively focused on defunding sites that participated in the "Gamers are Over" discussion. They claim that feminists are trying to censor games but have yet to provide an example of this happening, will update post in the event that it does.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Solemn Lemons posted:

Its just a lot of shouting. Games makers are going to follow the money, AAA titles are not going to take that many risk, and the twitter war will be forever. Don't use twitter and this will whole thing will never affect you.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
It's pretty obvious that Brianna Wu injected herself into all of this to try and get publicity for her crappy n64 looking bad game, and she doesn't deserve anyones attention, and also she looks like a muppet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ddraig posted:

I'm not aware of the situation you're referring to. Is it perhaps on par or worse than the time the evil harpy queen mounted an assault on the wizards?

There was a realy good fyad thread about it, but pretty much what he said actually happened and was insanely sad to watch

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Now you're just changing your own argument.

No. You can't create or make a "poisoned well" argument exclusively targeting one bunch of hashtag idiots from another and just want to avoid it. Saying GG members did a bad thing...therefore all GG is bad and harassers, when twitter feminists stalked and obsessively followed those who oppose them on their social media avenue of choice and then harass them only to excuse them is contradictory.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
gamergate is about state's rights.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NutritiousSnack posted:

No. You can't create or make a "poisoned well" argument exclusively targeting one bunch of hashtag idiots from another and just want to avoid it. Saying GG members did a bad thing...therefore all GG is bad and harassers, when twitter feminists stalked and obsessively followed those who oppose them on their social media avenue of choice and then harass them only to excuse them is contradictory.

Poisoned well implies the well was a functioning thing to begin with. It wasn't. It was a poo poo-pit from the get go.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Gosh, when you put it that way, GG's origins seem perfectly noble and not at all rooted in irrational hatred!

It's also vastly different from the account you spiel and why GG "neutrals" take GG word as often as yours. Because you'll defend Wu taking an MDE comedy act seriously or lying to police...but telling them later as "truth"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solemn Lemons posted:

Nobody even remotely meaningful has ever talked about censorship.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

The GG well has not been poisoned. It is working as intended. GG has not been corrupted. I do not think that all GGers harass people: they're merely complicit because of their dysfunctional ideological stance.

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

Neurolimal posted:

Gamergate has actively focused on defunding sites that participated in the "Gamers are Over" discussion. They claim that feminists are trying to censor games but have yet to provide an example of this happening, will update post in the event that it does.

Always hated this poo poo, "[Thing] is Dead !"
Nothing is dead, nothing is over. Everything has its ups and downs, hyperbole just keeps messing up communication.

Anyway, keep me posted and send me a pm when the sky is falling.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Fluo posted:

4 twitter users were turned away by Burch before he left Gearbox because they replied to that tweet. He bragged about it.

Are you going to provide any proof of this? Because it's a pretty serious accusation to be throwing around without evidence and the way I'm seeing it is that the Twitter blocklist is just that, a blocklist so that people can ignore unwarranted spam that prevents them from seeing tweets that are actually relevant.

It's you and the rest of the GamerGate warriors that has intentionally conflated this to mean a McCarthy-style blacklist that's effectively shutting people out of an industry for good, all because they're upset over choosing not to pay attention to their extended tantrums. But again, this is just the way it looks from my end. You can change that by providing proof of your claims.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
You probably shouldn't be using Breitbart as a source for anything after that whole Shirley Sherrod poo poo that went down.

I know I keep bringing this up, but that is because it just makes so much sense to me. GamerGate should organize and do something under an actual organization. I mean plenty of people against GamerGate are actually doing things such as creating their own spaces to talk about their perceived problems within the industry and what things combat them or creating their own games or being a kind of support group for harassment but you don't really see that on the opposite end.

I mean this is a good reasoned out example, and yet if you read the comments, nobody wants to actually do anything.

http://www.zenofdesign.com/dear-gamergate-please-form-a-consumer-organization-kthxbye/

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 10, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The GG well has not been poisoned. It is working as intended. GG has not been corrupted. I do not think that all GGers harass people: they're merely complicit because of their dysfunctional ideological stance.

You've never made that argument with anything to back it up. Other than the Zoe post which is far from unique in twitter social justice circles, and something you are utterly willing to forgive if GG title isn't placed on front.

It reminds me of "change the hashtag" like anyone would seriously give a poo poo or stop bad mouthing them if they did. It's a weak cop out that ignores the fact Z list bloggers created this type of hashtag activism and now have it deployed against them and seeing the type of discourse they helped shape on the web.

Serf
May 5, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

You've never made that argument with anything to back it up. Other than the Zoe post which is far from unique in twitter social justice circles, and something you are utterly willing to forgive if GG title isn't placed on front.

It reminds me of "change the hashtag" like anyone would seriously give a poo poo or stop bad mouthing them if they did. It's a weak cop out that ignores the fact Z list bloggers created this type of hashtag activism and now have it deployed against them and seeing the type of discourse they helped shape on the web.

Zoe Post created Gamergate, not the other way around. If you remember, the hashtag was coined by actor Adam Baldwin in a tweet referencing (unsubstantiated) accusations about Zoe Quinn's sex life.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A poisoned well implies that the well was a source of water to drink from to begin with. Some nefarious person has come along and poisoned the well, so anyone who drinks water from it is now going to get sick.

GamerGate is not a poisoned well. It was a cess pit. Some people willingly chose to consume its contents because they're crazy. Who knows why they did it, maybe they like eating poo poo. Some other people decided that everyone else is eating poo poo and seemingly enjoying it, so maybe it's a good thing to do? They tried it. They might have initially reeled at the taste but, well, if other people are doing it how bad can it be, really?

I don't understand why these people, who don't like eating poo poo or find it distasteful, don't go and dig their own well and prevent the poo poo-eaters from coming and trying to drink with their poo poo-infested mouths out of it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

You probably shouldn't be using Breitbart as a source for anything

Ignoring the fact another article backed it up, or that Popehat a respected little circle of lawyers that blog about legal poo poo confirm it, no poo poo.

The writer is a mostly normal dude though and backed up his claims and directly quoted someone, which was the only thing interesting about it I brought up. But please more about semantics on how it was from evil right wingers and while Wu lied for months, eventually reported poo poo to the police.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

I am not advocating GGers to change their hashtag so that they can disassociate themselves from the trolls, harassers, etc. That would imply that there is something redeemable in it that is obscured by the harassment and the trolling.

GG ideology or methodology is not redeemable. Like how you spoke of GG being "falsely fixated" on Brianna Wu because she didn't actually do something. The obvious question to this is what is "correctly fixated"? What do most GGers do, the vast majority who do not troll or harass or doxx or stalk?

They complain about those people. The malevolent outgroup that is corrupting society. The Jews.

At best GGers, in their capacity as GGers, engage in empty of politics of toxic subjects: "Things are bad. Why are they bad? Because of those people. This chart proves it. Let's suppress fight those people"

Hence the common observation that GGers sideline the immense ethical issues that plague video game journalism and the video game industry itself, like the basic advertainment nature of video game journalism. Because GGers don't care about corruption, they care about corruption that doesn't serve them. Video game

Of course, AGG to a degree assumes this viewpoint. But AGG is not "Feminism", it's mostly a bunch of liberal feminists on Twitter. They're part of The Problem, but they tend to be misguided at worst. GGers are misguided at best. It is perfectly possible for a side not to be actually worthwhile, not actually "another perspective". There are times when countless people will be totally wrong.

With this you need to ask "if she lied, what did she lie about, and what are its ultimate consequences?"

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 10, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Ignoring the fact another article backed it up, or that Popehat a respected little circle of lawyers that blog about legal poo poo confirm it, no poo poo.

The writer is a mostly normal dude though and backed up his claims and directly quoted someone, which was the only thing interesting about it I brought up. But please more about semantics on how it was from evil right wingers and while Wu lied for months, eventually reported poo poo to the police.

What does popehat have to do with this, other than retweeting that article?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Serf posted:

Zoe Post created Gamergate, not the other way around. If you remember, the hashtag was coined by actor Adam Baldwin in a tweet referencing (unsubstantiated) accusations about Zoe Quinn's sex life.

And most of the spill out even then focused on mocking Kotaku's Greyson until Reddit/4chan blacked everything out, with preceding events with nerds getting angry at Kotaku/Polygon/IGN left and right months leading up to this.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

I am not advocating GGers to change their hashtag so that they can disassociate themselves from the trolls, harassers, etc. That would imply that there is something redeemable in it that is obscured by the harassment and the trolling.

GG ideology or methodology is not redeemable. Like how you spoke of GG being "falsely fixated" on Brianna Wu because she didn't actually do something. The obvious question to this is what is "correctly fixated"? What do most GGers do, the vast majority who do not troll or harass or doxx or stalk?

They complain about those people. The malevolent outgroup that is corrupting society. The Jews.

At best GGers, in their capacity as GGers, engage in empty of politics of toxic subjects: "Things are bad. Why are they bad? Because of those people. This chart proves it. Let's suppress fight those people"

Hence the common observation that GGers sideline the immense ethical issues that plague video game journalism and the video game industry itself, like the basic advertainment nature of video game journalism. Because GGers don't care about corruption, they care about corruption that doesn't serve them. Video game

Of course, AGG to a degree assumes this viewpoint. But AGG is not "Feminism", it's mostly a bunch of liberal feminists on Twitter. They're part of The Problem, but they tend to be misguided at worst. GGers are misguided at best. It is perfectly possible for a side not to be actually worthwhile, not actually "another perspective". There are times when countless people will be totally wrong.

With this you need to ask "if she lied, what did she lie about, and what are its ultimate consequences?"

I'm going to need proof for every single one of these claims.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Slanderer posted:

What does popehat have to do with this, other than retweeting that article?

He agreed with it, mocked idiots who doubted it because "breithart", and vouched for the person who made it. So pretty much what I said.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's also vastly different from the account you spiel and why GG "neutrals" take GG word as often as yours. Because you'll defend Wu taking an MDE comedy act seriously or lying to police...but telling them later as "truth"

Except that wasn't what you accused her of, you claimed she never spoke to police, and the article you cited to support this claim specifically mentions that not only did she go to the police but she also went to the DA's office and the FBI. I'm not defending her lying to police, mostly because she didn't, and the article YOU provided as evidence that she did proves it.

But your ego is too damned important to you to even consider that maybe you got a thing wrong that you'll never see this.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

I'm going to need proof for every single one of these claims.

The idea that GG is a terrible thing, but far from unique or online KKK is too much of a strech and makes you a dread "Gator". Likewise that it is instead the result of the lovely online discourse that Weird Twitter and Z list Gawker media bloggers helped reated, with the people contained and continuing it on both sides being asshats who care about political wins for their internet tribe not "ethics" or "harassment" is a bridge too far.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Oops, she didn't go to the DA's office, she went to the Department of Homeland Security. My bad.

See that? That's what "owning up to inaccurate poo poo you say" looks like.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is the poo poo that I am talking about. This is the thing that has convinced me that all GamerGate wants to do is spin its wheels without going anywhere. If people are really serious about ethics in games journalism, they would create an organization and then actually focus on achieving that objective. But as it stands, GamerGate is this over encompassing thing that can mean a bunch of poo poo that kind of protects people from having to do anything.

Yeah, people may tie you to the GamerGate movement, but if you are committed then you might actually get something done and then who gives a poo poo if people compare you to GamerGate?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Except that wasn't what you accused her of, you claimed she never spoke to police,

I claimed she lied about going forward to the police over her death threats, saying she never did. She didn't. She went months afterward, waiting until the first articles hit mentioning she never contacted the police, after the DA get snippy about her being an idiot. Something Breithart, Popehat, and anyone with two brain cells can see for what it is if they aren't looking at things from a political angle.

The only thing that will ever convince that Wu is full of poo poo, and even then you'd deny it, is Wu going to a court of law and losing over it. Something that will never happen because her lying isn't against the law let alone something police are going to bother with. Keep in mind this is after she pretended to be scared over an MDE comedy act, her insulting herself her Steam page, or her crying harassment when her auto meme thing was taken over and replaced with ones insulting her.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Brianna Wu is a motherfucker. Brianna Wu is a bitch. Brianna Wu is a liar".

What does it even matter? Should we all make a mock thread to document her latest supposed misadventure? Should we try go past hating GG and reach "post-political" consciousness? What?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

I claimed she lied about going forward to the police over her death threats, saying she never did. She didn't. She went months afterward, waiting until the first articles hit mentioning she never contacted the police, after the DA get snippy about her being an idiot. Something Breithart, Popehat, and anyone with two brain cells can see for what it is if they aren't looking at things from a political angle.

The only thing that will ever convince that Wu is full of poo poo, and even then you'd deny it, is Wu going to a court of law and losing over it. Something that will never happen because her lying isn't against the law let alone something police are going to bother with. Keep in mind this is after she pretended to be scared over an MDE comedy act, her insulting herself her Steam page, or her crying harassment when her auto meme thing was taken over and replaced with ones insulting her.

The mark of a great comedy act is that it is indistinguishable from a schizophrenic man threatening your life.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Plom Bar posted:

Oops, she didn't go to the DA's office, she went to the Department of Homeland Security. My bad.

See that? That's what "owning up to inaccurate poo poo you say" looks like.

I want evidence to back up your claims. Her saying it is not good enough. Please provide copies of the reports and a 3rd party who can legitimate them. If you can't do this you're a lying piece of poo poo who needs to loving kill yourself.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Slanderer posted:

The mark of a great comedy act is that it is indistinguishable from a schizophrenic man threatening your life.

It was obvious satire.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Okay, but get this: The link you showed definitively proves that she spoke to police, the FBI, and the DHS about the threats. Your claim, that she didn't go to the police, is FALSE, according to YOUR source.

O__O posted:

I want evidence to back up your claims. Her saying it is not good enough. Please provide copies of the reports and a 3rd party who can legitimate them. If you can't do this you're a lying piece of poo poo who needs to loving kill yourself.

Why, just ask my good pal NutritiousSnack, as the link they posted suits this need precisely!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

O__O posted:

It was obvious satire.

Oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe you missed this because it was at the bottom of the last page so here it is again, just in case you missed it:

Plom Bar posted:

NutritiousSnack posted:

I did. Her doing so at a much later date doesn't change that fact she lied about contacting police.

quote:

Law enforcement overall is failing her, Wu said. She’s pleaded with local authorities, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, but no one has ever been charged. In April, the FBI said it couldn’t use evidence she’d been sending agents for months unless it was transferred to a hard drive. When she did so and mailed it, agents returned it without comment.

whoa look at that you're still full of poo poo

Her mistake here, if you actually read the article, was naming the wrong party responsible for inaction/lack of response. She absolutely was in contact with authorities far prior to this incident. Your own source confirms this.

• Locked thread