Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

- It is once again always possible to transfer occupations to warleader, but AI might not do so unless they have good reason to.

:worship: In the HRE, you sometimes fight someone you don't immediately border. If your based allies immediately siege everything, then they can't transfer occupation and you can't take territory or vassalize them, which didn't happen often that I wanted provinces that far away but it is insanely ridiculously frustrating when it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Randarkman posted:

Playing France->Rev. France game. I have an army about 350,000 men strong (I am over force limit, but gently caress that, planning on fielding 50-100,000 further men, I can afford it), with client states (currently only Republican Spain in Catalonia, Aragon and central Spain and Republican Italy in Milan) adding a further 150,000 to this. Now I want to expand into the Netherlands and Alsace-Lorraine against Austria, however Austria and much of Europe is in a coalition against me.

If I declare war on Austria's ally Russia, that won't drag in the coalition against me automatically will it?

If Russia is not in the coalition & is not the subject of someone in the coalition, declaring on them will not trigger a coalition war.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PleasingFungus posted:

If Russia is not in the coalition & is not the subject of someone in the coalition, declaring on them will not trigger a coalition war.

Of course, if you lose enough troops/manpower to Russia, there's no guarantee the coalition won't smell blood.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How far northwest do the Turkish names for provinces go? I like watching the Balkans turn into Turkworld and I'm only as far as eating Serbia and Wallachia.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
So I got humanism for Japan with the hopes that the 50% cultural acceptance idea would allow easy integration of Ainu and Korean cultures - but both are still red to me; bug?

Unrelated but also:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=477002639

There is a Polandball flag mod - this is good. :thumbsup:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thunder Moose posted:

So I got humanism for Japan with the hopes that the 50% cultural acceptance idea would allow easy integration of Ainu and Korean cultures - but both are still red to me; bug?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Thunder Moose posted:

Yeah, what's the actual acceptance threshold? Even with the discount, Ainu is never going to clear 10% of your development total without some crazy intervention. Korean probably could, depending on what exactly you own.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Korean is like a good quarter or so iirc if he holds all their provinces.

Thunder Moose posted:

Have you waited a couple of months? It can take a while to tick over. Ainu will never be accepted I don't think, but Korean should be fine even if you don't have Humanism.

Only thing I can think of is that you developed the Japanese provinces a whole bunch or something.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
How feasible is it to get Master of India and Definitely the Sultan of Rum in the same run? It's the Ottomans so I assume 'very', but I'm not super keen on doing another megablob run and I'd like to minimise my play time as them.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Very easy

Sultan of Rum is one of the easiest achievements now that Muscovy implodes every single game

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Worst map color in the game?

I guess it's pretty similar to Tunis', it's just a bummer to form a relatively tough country and be greeted with that as a reward, and ideas I don't like as much as the ones I just had. If it wasn't ironman I would edit it to Romania's color in hoi2. Wishing I had hit that button in 1820.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gitro posted:

How feasible is it to get Master of India and Definitely the Sultan of Rum in the same run? It's the Ottomans so I assume 'very', but I'm not super keen on doing another megablob run and I'd like to minimise my play time as them.

Why bother doing something if it isn't going to be fun.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That should be perfectly doable, unless you get the rare game where Muscovy actually manages to both take a bunch of land early and get its poo poo together enough to actually hold it. I'd say try to grab Rome relatively early, then while all of Europe hates you sneak your way up towards Moscow through the Timurids/Uzbek/Kazan/Nogai area of the map. Grabbing up India will be the easiest part, especially once you get a couple admin efficiency bonuses combined with the Imperialism CB, although drilling your way there through the Qara Qoyunlu/Timurids/Persia blob will take time. Just stay focused and alternate your wars so that you don't accidentally build up AE across multiple continents and have this happen to you:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Also, about the Jihad achievement, I think the only reason it's not one of the rarest achievements is because at one point it was bugged and all you had to do to get it was to load the game as Najd in ironman. It's doable, but it's in the "insane" category with 3 mountains, world conquest, Norwegian wood and raja of the Rajput reich.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Has anyone actually done 3 Mountains since Common Sense? It pretty much seems straight up impossible now.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trujillo posted:

Also, about the Jihad achievement, I think the only reason it's not one of the rarest achievements is because at one point it was bugged and all you had to do to get it was to load the game as Najd in ironman. It's doable, but it's in the "insane" category with 3 mountains, world conquest, Norwegian wood and raja of the Rajput reich.

People also use SAM to unlock achievements. Ryukyu is not even nearly one of the rarest achievements.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I thought Three Mountains was basically used as a test for exploits? As in, if you can do this, this bit of the game needs fixed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Knuc U Kinte posted:

People also use SAM to unlock achievements. Ryukyu is not even nearly one of the rarest achievements.

It pretty much is. Most of the achievements that are rarer than it are only like a month old. I'm sure some people used SAM, and 3 Mountains might be targeted more than most achievements 'cause it's kinda infamous, but I still don't think it's a common thing? I used to get kind of pissed off at the lengths Paradox went to for making achievements hard to exploit in game (and I still think monthly autosaves make ironman a chore to play) but the achievement culture around this game is actually kind of serious, people care about them a lot more than in most games.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why bother doing something if it isn't going to be fun.

It'll be fun the first time, but the ottomans are pretty easy and I don't find that terribly appealing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koramei posted:

Has anyone actually done 3 Mountains since Common Sense? It pretty much seems straight up impossible now.

Someone did it in 1.9 using crazy personal unions.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...chanics.833582/

I don't think personal unions have really changed that much, so it might still be doable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah I didn't know that tool tip existed!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

It pretty much is. Most of the achievements that are rarer than it are only like a month old. I'm sure some people used SAM, and 3 Mountains might be targeted more than most achievements 'cause it's kinda infamous, but I still don't think it's a common thing? I used to get kind of pissed off at the lengths Paradox went to for making achievements hard to exploit in game (and I still think monthly autosaves make ironman a chore to play) but the achievement culture around this game is actually kind of serious, people care about them a lot more than in most games.

I like the achievements because they make me play games I normally never would. I've played a pope game but I never would have thought to make marches out of the holy orders which is a pretty fun idea and makes me want to try it again etc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Woah I didn't know that tool tip existed!
Its fantastic because with the new development mechanics you can pump up anything that looks like it will drop too low. I love it because I have accepted culture OCD :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trujillo posted:

Worst map color in the game?

I guess it's pretty similar to Tunis', it's just a bummer to form a relatively tough country and be greeted with that as a reward, and ideas I don't like as much as the ones I just had. If it wasn't ironman I would edit it to Romania's color in hoi2. Wishing I had hit that button in 1820.

The game really just needs to have a little button where you can customize your name/rgb color/ and flag with the nation creator interface at any time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bort Bortles posted:

Its fantastic because with the new development mechanics you can pump up anything that looks like it will drop too low. I love it because I have accepted culture OCD :v:

Me too, I always have to play a custom nation with -20% threshold and then take the idea that gives another -50 or what ever. If a culture isn't accepted I get really fussy and OCD and either need to conquer more of it or convert it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Me too, I always have to play a custom nation with -20% threshold and then take the idea that gives another -50 or what ever. If a culture isn't accepted I get really fussy and OCD and either need to conquer more of it or convert it.
I dont play custom nations often, but when I do, I also have the -20% threshold idea.
________________________/

(I also find Humanist irresistible)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I always go for genocide instead. feels cleaner.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
What's the new threshold for a March being "too big" in terms of total development (used to be 60 base tax IIRC)?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nitrousoxide posted:

Someone did it in 1.9 using crazy personal unions.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...chanics.833582/

I don't think personal unions have really changed that much, so it might still be doable.

I feel like smaller starts have become even more dangerous due to the new fort mechanics. Usually when everyone had 3-4 provinces you used to be able to ping-pong stack wipe armies at your leisure, because they couldn't run that far. However, now a nation has a real chance to recover if the fort layout is unfavorable.

Of course, the same goes for you, to a degree.

But if you can get the luck to pull off the first 50 years or so, I'd guess it's probably still viable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What's the new threshold for a March being "too big" in terms of total development (used to be 60 base tax IIRC)?

It's still 60 IIRC but that's only to make them a march. They can be expanded past that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

No limit. A March can have as much basetax/development as you can feed it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, I just checked, and 3 mountains is more common that Venetian Sea...which is fairly old and not really that difficult. It definitely had the SAM treatment.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

No limit. A March can have as much basetax/development as you can feed it.

There is a soft limit - there are development thresholds where the March takes progressively larger Liberty Desire penalties. This is on top of the "power relative to liege" Liberty Desire.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Jackson Taus posted:

There is a soft limit - there are development thresholds where the March takes progressively larger Liberty Desire penalties. This is on top of the "power relative to liege" Liberty Desire.

That's sort of what I was asking about. Someone had posted this image awhile ago:

and apparently that occurred when the marched exceeded 60BT.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought the technology neighbor bonus was a discount that applied from both physical neighbors and/or other people in your tech group? Lithuania is my neighbor and has Admin tech 13 while I only have 12 yet I have no adm tech cost discount?

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

That's sort of what I was asking about. Someone had posted this image awhile ago:

and apparently that occurred when the marched exceeded 60BT.
Huh, that is the old message that you got when they got too large. I wonder if it was never removed? Did you look at their total development when you got that message?

Jackson Taus posted:

I never saw any patchnotes or anything describing this but it would not surprise me.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Really enjoying my current game as Brandenburg/Prussia with the current patch, I don't think I've enjoyed a game as much since my Timurid/Mughal achievement game. France seems like a much more solid ally in this patch though, they don't seem to be as busy or aggressive and it feels like they would give me the shirt off their back if I asked, even with lowish trust and relations.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

i took humanism now as Spain and now no more North African Revolts! I pump dip or adm if i'm maxed and way over time and have Morrocan and Berber accepted. That Language event when you form spain helps too.

Also, Will Iron or Copper ever develop in colonies? I'm pushing into Louisiana and am wondering if I'm gonna be getting Iron in Wisconsin/Minnesota.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 10, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PrinceRandom posted:

i took humanism now as Spain and now no more North African Revolts! I pump dip or adm if i'm maxed and way over time and have Morrocan and Berber accepted. That Language event when you form spain helps too.

Also, Will Iron or Copper ever develop in colonies? I'm pushing into Louisiana and am wondering if I'm gonna be getting Iron in Wisconsin/Minnesota.

I've never seen either in a colony now that you mention it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

PrinceRandom posted:

Wiki says not in North America. I wouldn't take anything in there as gospel, but it suggests that Siberia (both) and South America (Copper only) are your only choices. This section does look to have been done in-depth: if nothing else it's worth reading to figure out where to get your gold. I once had an MP Australian CN that was, for whatever reason, swimming in gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
wrt najd chat, jihad was pretty easy before common sense; once you got off the ground (conquering arabia), which required the usual amount of luck for a 'small nation surrounded by countries that hate you', it was just about... conquering, conquering, conquering. conquer india, conquer africa (tons of terrible provinces = cheap to core!), eventually pick a fight with otto mann and fight him too. always be at war with someone, if not someones; whenever you finish coring a set of provinces, you should be ready to finish a war to get another set of uncored provinces. until admin efficiency hits, coring times (and truces) are the limiting factor on expansion.

absolutely no idea how you'd do it in common sense. everything is so expensive now...

• Locked thread