Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Another mod comparison I wonder if anyone has any input on: Spellmaking vs. Spell Crafting
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49032/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33598/

I tried Spell Crafting a while ago but didn't use it enough to get much of an impression. I don't remember the spells I made quite working out as I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've picked up a weird glitch that's happened twice now where the camera on my world map flips, so instead of being above looking down on the map it's under the map looking up at nothing. Managed to either fix it or it quit on its own both times -- I reinstalled my map mods, changed locations via cart since fast travel is impossible when the map is like that, went to the map from the journal instead of the menu -- really not sure what worked if any of it but it went back to normal eventually -- but it happened pretty much out of nowhere because everything was fine then "whoops world map is hosed" when nothing had changed so I guess this is something my game is just going to do periodically now. :cripes:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey guys, have you ever used Glowing Ore Veins 300 but been miffed that the normal and less glow options are just "so blindingly bright that you can't tell whether it's iron or quicksilver" and "visible, but completely dull color without any kind of sheen whatsoever"?

I readjusted the original glowy cubemaps so that iron and corundum are half again as dim as the Less Glow options so they're closer to earthy red and orange and the rest are only half as bright as the standard ones, so they shine in the darkness but don't make you reach for the gamma lever. Iron still gleams under sunlight, but you can actually tell that it's red.

e1: actually no the .dds files just saved as total blanks for some reason! back to the drawing board
e2: I forgot to regenerate the mipmaps, buhh. works now

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 9, 2015

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Anyone know what would cause a certain tree model to be at constant 100% brightness (even at night)? Other trees are fine, it's just the average pine whatever model. I tried dropping in a new texture for it, no go.

Also, that Sands of Time mod isn't too bad. It's got some really dumb stuff in it but it has a huge MCM where you can turn everything on/off bit by bit so you can just keep the cool parts.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Catts posted:

Anyone know what would cause a certain tree model to be at constant 100% brightness (even at night)? Other trees are fine, it's just the average pine whatever model. I tried dropping in a new texture for it, no go.

Also, that Sands of Time mod isn't too bad. It's got some really dumb stuff in it but it has a huge MCM where you can turn everything on/off bit by bit so you can just keep the cool parts.

That's still going to be, like, a gigabyte of just sitting in your mod directory for no reason, though...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

That's still going to be, like, a gigabyte of just sitting in your mod directory for no reason, though...

Disk is cheap.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Isn't there a similar thing to FO3/FNV's RobCo Certified for Skyrim? I'd really like to take over Skyrim now with a small army of robots (likely dwemer constructs) that I make and customize myself, even if it makes things super unbalanced.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Colgate posted:

Isn't there a similar thing to FO3/FNV's RobCo Certified for Skyrim? I'd really like to take over Skyrim now with a small army of robots (likely dwemer constructs) that I make and customize myself, even if it makes things super unbalanced.
I've never used it, but I think Dwemer Certified might be what you're looking for.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

There are also seperate dwemer dragon and dwemer dog mods

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Maxed out conjuration in SPERG. Turns out it gives you a daily power to raise 3 atronachs/ turn every corpse around into zombies! This is the best!

Kinda wish the zombies lasted longer, though. They barely have time enough to get into a fortress, much less take it over.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Colgate posted:

Dwemer Certified. It's awesome. You'll need the compatibility patch I made to use it with SPERG though. Search the nexus.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is there some way to modify how fast skills level up? Because even with SPERG Alchemy levels at a snail's pace. It's easier to just go to an NPC and have them raise it for you. I want all the flowers I pick and butterflies I catch to mean something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sitchelin posted:

Is there some way to modify how fast skills level up? Because even with SPERG Alchemy levels at a snail's pace. It's easier to just go to an NPC and have them raise it for you. I want all the flowers I pick and butterflies I catch to mean something.

The Character Uncapper let's you manually set how fast skills lvel up, and how much the contribute to your character level, so you don't end up super high level really quickly from leveling up Alchemy when you have lovely combat skills.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Catts posted:

That's more likely to be a mesh problem. Probably a bad custom mesh with the shader flags set up wrong. If it's a vanilla model, then I'm not sure what would cause that. Corrupt files, some kind of bizarre plugin error? In any case, texture files have a pretty limited effect on brightness.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's more likely to be a mesh problem. Probably a bad custom mesh with the shader flags set up wrong. If it's a vanilla model, then I'm not sure what would cause that. Corrupt files, some kind of bizarre plugin error? In any case, texture files have a pretty limited effect on brightness.
Yeah the refID in game is pointing at Skyrim.esm as far as I can tell. Steam found 5 files that need to be redownloaded when I tried validating, so I'm assuming maybe I touched something by accident in TES5edit or something.

e: Validating files didn't work, time to hunt for rogue mesh files :downs:

Catts fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 10, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Catts posted:

Yeah the refID in game is pointing at Skyrim.esm as far as I can tell. Steam found 5 files that need to be redownloaded when I tried validating, so I'm assuming maybe I touched something by accident in TES5edit or something.

e: Validating files didn't work, time to hunt for rogue mesh files :downs:

Try to find the particular mesh name if you can, then you can just search your entire mod/data directory. Opening up a wilderness area with the tree should let you track down the actual base model.

Also, I've made some progress on the Rayek's End improvement, instead of posting a bunch of giant screenshots as timgs, here's a link to the gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/o3zMK

The first screen is without the ENB, the second is a creation kit view of the display rack WIP, and the rest are more angles of the stuff I'm mostly done with.

EDIT: I should clarify I'm not quite done with the hallway and stuff, finishing the rooms then I'll make one big pass on all the detailed stuff like symmetry (where I can).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 10, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mazz posted:

Try to find the particular mesh name if you can, then you can just search your entire mod/data directory. Opening up a wilderness area with the tree should let you track down the actual base model.

Also, I've made some progress on the Rayek's End improvement, instead of posting a bunch of giant screenshots as timgs, here's a link to the gallery.

The first screen is without the ENB, the second is a creation kit view of the display rack WIP, and the rest are more angles of the stuff I'm mostly done with.

EDIT: I should clarify I'm not quite done with the hallway and stuff, finishing the rooms then I'll make one big pass on all the detailed stuff like symmetry (where I can).

Much roomier than the old mod, I like it. Nice work.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks for the help, turns out it was Skyrim Flora Overhaul acting up for some reason. Cleaned out the folder and reinstalled, trees are back to normal. Though now my chicken textures are missing :smith:

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

Catts posted:

Thanks for the help, turns out it was Skyrim Flora Overhaul acting up for some reason. Cleaned out the folder and reinstalled, trees are back to normal. Though now my chicken textures are missing :smith:

skyrimmodding.txt

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I am thinking about starting back with Skyrim again. I played when it first came out and have a lot of .ess files from that. I was thinking about buying the entire game with all of the extra features and was wondering if I could just start playing again with one of these saves? I really liked my character but would like to explore all the new stuff with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I am thinking about starting back with Skyrim again. I played when it first came out and have a lot of .ess files from that. I was thinking about buying the entire game with all of the extra features and was wondering if I could just start playing again with one of these saves? I really liked my character but would like to explore all the new stuff with it.

Yeah, all the DLC is compatible with old saves. If you weren't using any mods, then you should be good to go.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Mazz posted:

Been using Rayek's end as a player home since I started modding my game, and your improvements make it look way better. Looking forward to that.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How do I work around (mostly) Open Cities corrupting my saves with what I assume is simple overloading of scripts and such? Turned it on and off the first time, but that just reset my guild jobs which is relatively minor annoyance in comparison...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Sorry to say that I found not using Open Cities Skyrim to be the best way to fix the problems I had with Open Cities Skyrim.

When I first tried it, I got horrible FPS lag every time I so much as looked at a major city. When I checked around for info about this, I found that Arthmoor maintains in shrill and strident terms that it's impossible for his mod to cause FPS lag. All I know is that when I looked at a city with it in installed, it tanked to 10 FPS, but when I removed it, it stayed at its normal level.

ETA: This is worth keeping in mind though. It may not actually have been Open Cities' fault, it may have been a bunch of other stuff I had. But it wasn't worth as much to me as the other stuff and I have enough headaches getting poo poo to work together as it is.
\/\/\/\/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 14, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I had good luck with Open Cities way back when I had maybe five or six other mods installed. These days with ~100 mods it just chugs and I haven't had it enabled in a long, long time.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Nymix posted:

Been using Rayek's end as a player home since I started modding my game, and your improvements make it look way better. Looking forward to that.

I should have a .zip ready in the little bit here, I'm about 90% done, just gotta sort out a few remaining texture/mesh/placement issues I found in my last check, make sure everything is working in game, etc.

I was happy to find out that I got pretty much everything to work the way I hoped it would, which means all the display room stuff is scripted and functional. This includes a bunch of quest item displays that will auto-update as you load the cell(this was mostly the work of someone else, I just got it to work for my layout, so I can't take credit), fully functional mask and claw displays, and some of the civil war banners you'll find in a couple rooms will actually change to your faction after the battle of Whiterun (or as far as I can tell that should be exactly what happens, the initial code is functioning right but I have no test save. Whiterun specifically as it is the earliest CW event I could find accessible garrison markers).

I'll post some additional screens in a bit if I can't get it outright done in the next couple hours. I should mention now that there is a bug feature with a certain static item that produces audio, I'll probably have to end up removing it but its a pain in the rear end to get at so goons will get to experience it in all its glory.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 14, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just FYI SkyUI 5.0 was released today officially. Some nice changes to the crafting/creation menus and general bugfixes.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Just FYI SkyUI 5.0 was released today officially. Some nice changes to the crafting/creation menus and general bugfixes.

Yes, finally. FINALLY.

A non poo poo Alchemy menu. Or at least less poo poo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Could really do with having the old categories as an option, but

:swoon:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

scamtank posted:

Could really do with having the old categories as an option, but

:swoon:

Speaking of categories and SkyUI, I was playing recently when I noticed the Type column had vanished from my food category, what gives?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Question about mods like, iNeed. There seems to be enough food in the world to make a mod like that seem sort of pointless, does it actually make a big difference? I've been thinking of using it.

I've also been wondering if anyone's tried modifying uncapper settings to set skill gain from use to 0, got something that allowed them to train an unlimited number of times (as long as you had money), and played that way, making leveling up skills almost completely manual and money-based (aside from skill books, quests, and SPERG's quest level ups)

More importantly, does it create any problems?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Colgate posted:

Question about mods like, iNeed. There seems to be enough food in the world to make a mod like that seem sort of pointless, does it actually make a big difference? I've been thinking of using it.

Despite the author doing his best apollodown impression in the description, maybe this is worth considering: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49421/

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

iNeed has to option of altering interior cells so most or all of the free food lying around is gone, container lists that the vegetable barrels of plenty sitting everywhere just have salt in them and farms so you either need to pay for grabbing the crops or commit theft.

Not sure how the last one works with the whole "harvesting stuff for pennies" thing, but it still keeps you from just vacuuming every field into your bottomless maw.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The spoilage mechanic and options to make your follower(s) also need to eat and drink can increase how much food you use up while also making it less feasible to load up with 100 cheese wheels before you head out into the wilderness.

I used You Hunger in conjunction with iNeed for a while; turned it off because I wanted to add another food-loot related mod and didn't want to have too many mods adjusting the same stuff, but can confirm it does make the game way more stingy with loose food. edit: Thinking back I think it had also become redundant after an iNeed update.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 15, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Alright, this should be good to go. There are couple things I might add later, but right now it's 99% and those last few are :effort:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B035zWtfRbz1SVdEOERNY2lNd0U/view?usp=sharing

I haven't had to share a file larger then 50mb (just using TinyUpload) in a while, so lemme know if that link doesn't work. It should, but whatever.

Feel free to give me feedback on literally anything you find lacking, including elements of the layout. I'll probably call you an idiot and just link you to Arthmoor's best posts, but I'm still interested in hearing it. Also, please point out any bugs you might find since I haven't had a lot of time to play test it, just run through it a bunch of times. Bringing a follower in would be good since that's probably the least tested part, although it all seemed to work fine.

You may notice a tiny bit of flickering in the main forge area as you come around the hall corners, this is a byproduct of a couple JIT lighting scripts keeping the overlapping light sources to a minimum. Without them there was some real bad texture flickering I really couldn't get around with the lighting in place.

To TP right into the zone from the main menu, just console coc 00MazzRend.

The mod shouldn't be touching anything else at all, but if you see a piece of furniture in the noble set without legs or textures in Whiterun acting weird, let me know, I could've easily missed something in the last week of fighting the Creation Kit.

I should mention that if you see any big empty space on desks or shevles, it's likely either 1 of 2 things: Something will show up there as you complete a quest chain (display, book area), or I didn't actually get around to the arrow poison mod yet (Crafting room).

EDIT: Since I haven't even reached out to any of the other modders yet, please don't share this with anyone publicly.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, it's not at all configured for actual use, because I'm an idiot. Just make a new folder in your MO/mods area and drag the 7z contents in there. Load order shouldn't matter at all.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 15, 2015

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Thanks, man! I've been interested in seeing how this turned out and I can't wait to give it a try.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Colgate posted:

I've also been wondering if anyone's tried modifying uncapper settings to set skill gain from use to 0, got something that allowed them to train an unlimited number of times (as long as you had money), and played that way, making leveling up skills almost completely manual and money-based (aside from skill books, quests, and SPERG's quest level ups)

More importantly, does it create any problems?

I did this via SkyXP. Basically Sky XP makes killing enemies, crafting, completing quests, etc give you experience. That experience can then be spent on raising skills or acquiring additional perk points. I did not have any problems, so I can't imagine why just setting the skill gains to 0 and getting skills via trainers would screw anything up. I also had SPERG on at the time, so no conflicts there either.

Edit: Make sure what you're setting to 0 is the 'skill gain per usage' and not 'contribution to character level per skill level up'. If you get the second one by accident you'll never gain any levels.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 15, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Mazz posted:

Alright, this should be good to go. There are couple things I might add later, but right now it's 99% and those last few are :effort:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B035zWtfRbz1SVdEOERNY2lNd0U/view?usp=sharing

I haven't had to share a file larger then 50mb (just using TinyUpload) in a while, so lemme know if that link doesn't work. It should, but whatever.

Feel free to give me feedback on literally anything you find lacking, including elements of the layout. I'll probably call you an idiot and just link you to Arthmoor's best posts, but I'm still interested in hearing it. Also, please point out any bugs you might find since I haven't had a lot of time to play test it, just run through it a bunch of times. Bringing a follower in would be good since that's probably the least tested part, although it all seemed to work fine.

You may notice a tiny bit of flickering in the main forge area as you come around the hall corners, this is a byproduct of a couple JIT lighting scripts keeping the overlapping light sources to a minimum. Without them there was some real bad texture flickering I really couldn't get around with the lighting in place.

To TP right into the zone from the main menu, just console coc 00MazzRend.

The mod shouldn't be touching anything else at all, but if you see a piece of furniture in the noble set without legs or textures in Whiterun acting weird, let me know, I could've easily missed something in the last week of fighting the Creation Kit.

I should mention that if you see any big empty space on desks or shevles, it's likely either 1 of 2 things: Something will show up there as you complete a quest chain (display, book area), or I didn't actually get around to the arrow poison mod yet (Crafting room).

EDIT: Since I haven't even reached out to any of the other modders yet, please don't share this with anyone publicly.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, it's not at all configured for actual use, because I'm an idiot. Just make a new folder in your MO/mods area and drag the 7z contents in there. Load order shouldn't matter at all.

This is actually pretty drat nice. But you asked for some feedback so and I have some nits to pick that you'll probably ignore.

The Dwemer contraption in the magic/alchemy section could stand to be a little quieter and or have a smaller range on its sound, its a little distracting.
Jumping will make lights flicker and grey areas show up in the distance, especially when facing towards the open bedroom.
I'd love to see an autosorter but I get you're probably not intersted in implementing one.

Could someone with an accomplished character available show a few screenshots of the additional decorations and features that show up ?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is it the base game that makes the final room orders of magnitude harder than the rest of the dungeon, or has some random mod ruined my good time?

Been fighting 1/2/3 Falmer and some rats through 3 zones, then at the end it's upgraded fighter falmer, upgraded wizard falmer and a flying bug with a million hitpoints.

Marcurio and I are barely level 10 and very scared. Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

No mention of Realistic Needs and Diseases? Has it fallen out of favor? It's the one I've always used and I like it, it has spoilage mechanics but I never see anything spoil (though I usually carry soup around or otherwise eat stuff soon after getting it) and I think that's the one that makes food you find in dungeons "stale" or grossly inedible. I have to turn the hunger and thirst rates down though or I get hungry every five minutes.

• Locked thread