Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Some weak poo poo from The Wicked + The Divine this week. I got distracted by the horrendous anime art. But, then again I'm not sure there was much going on in the story to distract from. Ugh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Yeah, that was a really inconsequential issue. Getting real tired of Baphomet's poo poo. Thankfully the art for next issue looks fantastic. So that's what Supreme Blue Rose looked like? I'll have to check it out.

The surprise post-letters page was nice, though. Makes me think this could be the actual last we'll see of Inanna.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. Not much happening except confirming deaths. :(

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

So I found out about Spurrier's new book, The Spire, purely because someone in the weekly shipping thread pointed out that they didn't know it was coming out. Grabbed it on the virtues of the cover alone, and I really enjoyed it! Cool art and interesting worldbuilding. It's a scifi/fantasy hybrid murder mystery and I'm real interested to see where it goes. If you didn't realize it was happening either, it's worth checking out!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Late to the Sejic is off Rat Queen's boat. I really like his art, particularly his facial expressions, which were perfect for Rat Queens. Glad to see that the book won't have a big hiccup, but I wasn't 100% sold on Fowler after the Braga side issue. I'm willing to give her a chance though.

I hope Sejic gets some luck with Death Vigil. That book is a fun take on Cthulhu-style horrors.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The Spire was pretty fantastic, I'm definitely looking forward to more.

We Stand on Guard was pretty, but I'm not totally hooked like I expected to be. Skroce's art doesn't communicate movement very well, and I felt like the issue could have used a little bit more time to get going. Hopefully the next issue will be a bit more bigger-picture.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Brian K. Vaughan is writing a electronic-only issue of The Walking Dead. So I guess The Walking Dead is going to finally get a good issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The cover image for the new Brian Lee O'Malley thing has me thinking he should probably just always draw his own stuff, because that poo poo's gross in a naturalistic style.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Agreed on We Stand Guard. Could have used a double sized #1 or something. Still, cant wait to get more murder of Americans though. :patriot:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Gaz-L posted:

The cover image for the new Brian Lee O'Malley thing has me thinking he should probably just always draw his own stuff, because that poo poo's gross in a naturalistic style.

I think that he and Hung want the allergies the main character has to look gross, it would look too cartoony and cute in O'Malley's art style.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Really excited for 2 (!!!) books by Ron Wimberly announced yesterday

After Aaron and Stewart got the rights to The Other Side from Vertigo (great comic, by the way), I hope he republishes Prince of Cats on Image too.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm personally very excited for Black Magick by Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott, and also fairly surprised that the premise isn't actually one for an existing urban fantasy series because it's perfect..

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

fatherboxx posted:

Really excited for 2 (!!!) books by Ron Wimberly announced yesterday

Never heard of the guy but I'm in based on that promo image alone.

Edit - Oh wait, he did a couple of issues of the recent She-Hulk run, right? Those were grand.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm really excited to see where We Stand On Guard goes. I don't really dig the token Francophone whom everyone else automatically understands, though. I don't like having to expend the effort to translate what might be informative/important dialogue. I don't like how it's used by Vos in Transformers, or Doop in X-Men, either. It's just a device that bugs me. Make him swear in French (ie every third word is some derivative of Tabernac), make him snarky that nobody else in the group bothered to learn French past grade 7. Those would be better for the average reader not from Quebec, NB, or Ottawa, imo, not to mention provide more opportunities to inject a bit of humour in.
I liked the idea of the bilingual American drones with awful French, though. Anyone here a Franco who can tell me just how bad it is? Like Google-Translate-level, I'm assuming.

WicDiv and Deadly Class were both sorta filler issues this month. I liked both, though (albeit not keen on the WicDiv art). You gotta slow down a bit after the big holy-gently caress moments while setting up the next ones.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The untranslated French kind of bugged me, too, but I ended up ignoring it and letting it be part of the ~IMMERSION~ like I did with the Esperanto in Saga.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Never heard of the guy but I'm in based on that promo image alone.

Edit - Oh wait, he did a couple of issues of the recent She-Hulk run, right? Those were grand.

He also did part of the WATXM issue that was like a eulogy for Wolverine. His bit was siiiiiiiick. Dude has a great style.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gently caress!

Well i hope the next artist is also good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally started to read Sex Criminals, and it is so much better than I ever would have guessed, especially given the title and concept. It's hilariously funny, but so warm and heartfelt and honest about sexuality and relationships. And I love how well Zdarsky's art works with the dual narrators, and all the little gags and details he puts into everything. It's such a creative and clever series, and now I'll definitely have to pick up the second TPB.

Is it continuing after these two existing TPBs? I certainly hope it does, assuming it stays this good.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It's continuing, but it comes out slow. Fraction and Zdarsky both have a lot on their plate.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is it continuing after these two existing TPBs? I certainly hope it does, assuming it stays this good.

It is, but with Zdarsky achieving such popularity (and writing three other books) and Fraction's new television deal, I'm worried the series is going to fall by the wayside.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I have the eightball complete hardcover series coming in from amazon tmrw and I am too excited.

This leads me to a general question, what are some of your favourite alt comics? And who might be local to your city that I might not know about?

I live in Toronto and some of the best from here include: Micheal Deforge (Ant Comics), Jesse Jacobs (And You Will Know Him), Kate Beaton (Hark, A Vagrant) and Chester Brown (I Never Liked You)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is Cerebus an alt-comic? I liked that until it went insane.

In Columbus we have Drew Toothpaste.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Shitshow posted:

It is, but with Zdarsky achieving such popularity (and writing three other books) and Fraction's new television deal, I'm worried the series is going to fall by the wayside.

What's Fraction doing TV wise?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

hadji murad posted:

What's Fraction doing TV wise?

Sex Criminals :getin: (among others, including Wicked+Divine, apparently)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

New Rob Liefeld comic is about a Deadpool analogue searching for his stolen penis - rendered lovingly on the splashpage closing the issue.
Glorious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

After browsing through that at the comic shop I'm just going to assume Rob Liefeld's never actually seen a human penis. That book looked all kinds of bad.

As for alt comics, Evan Dorkin's Dork! And Johnny Ryan's Hate were staples of my teenage years, along with David Lapham's Stray Bullets, tho that last one couldn't really be considered alt I guess.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I just finished reading the first Lazarus HC, and while I liked it, it comes off like a sci-fi/post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones, although I suppose "competing groups vying for control" isn't exactly the most original setup in the world. But having a pair of blonde incest twins in each is just a weird thing to throw in there. That being said, I still enjoyed it and I like the art a lot, but one minor question was why Forever (Vol. 2 minor spoilers) let the guy run off with the bomb-making chemicals without doing a thing to stop or track him. Wasn't she on the rooftop of the shed that was being stolen from?

Did the trade have all the back matter text about the different houses and their histories?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Soonmot posted:

Did the trade have all the back matter text about the different houses and their histories?

Yeah, it did. I didn't delve too deep into it yet since I kinda wanted the worldbuilding to be a bit more organic and through the story etc, but it's there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Neat!

Joelle Jones' Lady Killer book is getting a second mini from Dark Horse. I really liked the sort of campy 50s-sploitation vibe of the first run. Basically, imagine if June Cleaver was La Femme Nikita. But with possible Nazis involved.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, it did. I didn't delve too deep into it yet since I kinda wanted the worldbuilding to be a bit more organic and through the story etc, but it's there.

There's a lot done through the story, but outside of a prequel series, I dOubt we'd ever learn most of what the text portions were about. I'll be picking up the trades then.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Soonmot posted:

There's a lot done through the story, but outside of a prequel series, I dOubt we'd ever learn most of what the text portions were about. I'll be picking up the trades then.

Note that I don't know if the softcovers have them, since I picked up the HC.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Gaz-L posted:

Neat!

Joelle Jones' Lady Killer book is getting a second mini from Dark Horse. I really liked the sort of campy 50s-sploitation vibe of the first run. Basically, imagine if June Cleaver was La Femme Nikita. But with possible Nazis involved.

Thats great news. I really enjoyed the first mini. Joelle Jones is the bees knees.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I just read God Hates Astronauts #6 on a whim with no info about it and I have no idea what's going on. It had:
- Admiral Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger (that is not a description, it is a proper name)
- A Rhino with a mustache called Dr. Professor
- A giant (time travelling?) Robot Giraffe called Time Giraffe
- Some kind of Green Lantern squadron looking equivalent called Star Bears flying around with star rings
- Mr Whorecules

Like is the whole thing like this? Is it a piss take or just monkey cheese throughout, or is it supposed to make sense at some point?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

So I just read God Hates Astronauts #6 on a whim with no info about it and I have no idea what's going on. It had:
- Admiral Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger (that is not a description, it is a proper name)
- Some kind of Green Lantern squadron looking equivalent called Star Bears flying around with star rings
- Mr Whorecules

Like is the whole thing like this? Is it a piss take or just monkey cheese throughout, or is it supposed to make sense at some point?
I don't know if the talking animal thing has been explained but it's not outlandish for comics (some of them are supposed to be mad science things). The star bears were explained in an earlier issue and sorta make sense in-universe. In general it's meant to be a comedy pastiche of superhero stuff mixed with some random elements which aren't discarded (NASA exists to prevent hillbillies from flying homemade rocketships off the planet) and everyone generally behaving like total assholes. I think the reason it gets so weird so fast is that random inputs aren't discarded, so by issue 5 you have the main team being led by an unkillable ghost cow head man fighting a 19th century boxer robot.

The closest parallel I can think of would be if the gang from Always Sunny in Philadelphia were superheroes and episodes didn't end with a return to the status quo, so characters like Cricket or the milk brothers became something more than one-offs.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

- Mr Whorecules

I read the trade, and the whole thing's mostly like that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God Hates Astronauts is a beautiful and completely batshit insane book. I've read and loved every issue since I was introduced to it months ago but I have no idea what I've read at all. I just know it's completely off the rails in a way that makes me smile and that's enough.

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

So I just read God Hates Astronauts #6 on a whim with no info about it and I have no idea what's going on.

Did you press <START> with your mind-finger as directed before beginning? If not, you may be reading it wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone asked about the bad French in We Stand On Guard earlier.

It's not Google Translate bad. There's more effort in it than that actually. It's bad in the way an Anglophone who had to take French in high school is bad.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Deadpool posted:

God Hates Astronauts is a beautiful and completely batshit insane book. I've read and loved every issue since I was introduced to it months ago but I have no idea what I've read at all. I just know it's completely off the rails in a way that makes me smile and that's enough.

Sounds like my experience reading Prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dik-dik posted:

Sounds like my experience reading Prophet.

Hah! I read and liked (contemporary) Prophet, in that it seemed to actually be building toward something. GHA is like something else entirely. Part of it is the breathless pace I think, this stuff just piles up and up over 4 page spans broken up by in-house ads for Mintz. I'm still not sure if I like it or not, but thanks for the feedback guys.

As for We Stand On Guard, I understood all the French in it and I'm an anglophone who took French in high school so that summary may be apt.