Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

With what we've seen I can't really imagine what a win state would be unless you have to arrange your 5 videos in some incriminating order or something, but how would that, as an objective, even be communicated to the player with what we have?

Certain videos in the search engine reveal more than others. There's a subtle effect when you collect one that's "important". When you've viewed enough of them to reasonably piece together the entire story, you get the option to go through an ending sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Beef Chief posted:

I really want to get excited for this because G1 Transformers is awesome and all of the aesthetic stuff they've done is cool, but the gameplay is really unremarkable and has time slowdown when it doesn't feel like it needs it. It just keeps screaming Korra 2 to me.

Given Korra was less than $20 at launch and Transformers will be a full $60, I have to assume there's more going on than just bare-bones Platinum action and palette swapping the same 3 enemies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd like to believe that, but this game was literally announced a month ago and is coming out this fall and is still being published by Activision. So until I see someone assure to me that this game is up the rear end with Platinum features or has MGR style craziness, I am not holding my breath. I also saw the E3 Interview with Saito and them and my feelings only seemed to be reinforced, because apparently the story mode only has five characters playable and they are all Autobots.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Rhonne posted:

Who is that teased at the end of the trailer?

Hard to say. I went through it at .25 speed, you don't ever got a full shot of the face at one time. Expression reminded me of Honda, but very little else. Might be a new character?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a new character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It could be zombie Alex.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hubris.height posted:

the only legit complaint i'll hear against this is that it isn't a video game.

unless there is a game over / fail state in it beyond "BAD END"

Lots of good games don't have game overs anymore and plenty don't even have fail states

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
are there any you can think of that wouldn't fit a category like 'interactive fiction' or 'visual novel' better?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

are there any you can think of that wouldn't fit a category like 'interactive fiction' or 'visual novel' better?

Prince of Persia reboot fits the description. It's a far cry from a good game, but it's certainly a video game without a fail state or game overs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Batman Arkham Knight

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lots of good games don't have game overs anymore and plenty don't even have fail states

hubris.height posted:

Terraria, Kirby's Epic Yarn, TF2, Dark Souls, Animal Crossing

Wait, what's a fail state now? All I can think of is adventure game bullshit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fail state is you literally can't finish the game because you reached a point of no return and put yourself in a situation in which you literally can't win no matter what.

Dark Souls is not remotely this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Terraria, Kirby's Epic Yarn, TF2, Dark Souls, Animal Crossing

Wait, what's a fail state now? All I can think of is adventure game bullshit.

Dying/failing in such a way that the game resets you at a checkpoint/spawnpoint and you lose some progress as a result of the failure. I would count even the BioShock games as having failstates. This term is probably real subjective tho.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Fail state is you literally can't finish the game because you reached a point of no return and put yourself in a situation in which you literally can't win no matter what.

I can't think of very many games that fit this definition of fail state.

Also, arguing that something isn't a game because it doesn't fit whatever your weird definition of what a game should be is the silliest thing. Why is it so important to some people to prove that something isn't really a "game" because of reasons?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Dying/failing in such a way that the game resets you at a checkpoint/spawnpoint and you lose some progress as a result of the failure. I would count even the BioShock games as having failstates. This term is probably real subjective tho.

Could you not argue Her Story has those as well? When a word you thought was a lead goes nowhere, and you have to go back to earlier videos and try again.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This invisible biker poo poo is insane

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Not many modern games, at least. You can easily get into an unwinnable situation back in the memory card era and especially in RPGs where you reached the point of no return and can't grind.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Rhonne posted:

Also, arguing that something isn't a game because it doesn't fit whatever your weird definition of what a game should be is the silliest thing. Why is it so important to some people to prove that something isn't really a "game" because of reasons?

it's not, its just something i find interesting. it seems really condescending to call something someone enjoys thinking about silly.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Could you not argue Her Story has those as well? When a word you thought was a lead goes nowhere, and you have to go back to earlier videos and try again.

That's just part of puzzle solving though, I think what we're talking about is more about you failed and you're being punished for it- to me, what you described is more like trying to fit a physical jigsaw puzzle piece into the wrong place and throwing it back into the pile and grabbing another one.

Rhonne posted:

You don't have to participate in the conversation if you don't want to, no one is forcing you to post. I think it's an interesting discussion.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

beep by grandpa posted:

this is pretty much how i have always thought of it. loss of progress, or generally just an encounter being considered "lost".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hahaha I just realized, I am now totally down for the "no fail state = not a game" definition because I think that definition precludes Sonic Boom

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hubris.height posted:

it's not, its just something i find interesting. it seems really condescending to call something someone enjoys thinking about silly.

People also enjoy having the games are/are not art conversation and it's just as silly/bad as the what is/is not a game conversation.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Dark Souls is not remotely this.

My post was more to games that match what Improbably Lobster was saying than hubris.height

I should've put them above his post, my bad.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Tae posted:

Ken was announced for SFV!!!!! SHOCKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weC0L9eBiyE

I really like the look also was that a motherfucking Red Hot Kick?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

hubris.height posted:

I've just seen way to many people on the internet get really angry when a games like Gone Home or Her Story get critical praise because "they're not games!"

I'm not saying you are one of those people, I've just seen how ugly these conversations can get.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It looks to me like Ken has a divekick hurricane kick and it's really cool looking and Ken looks super cool and SFV looks cool.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rhonne posted:

I've just seen way to many people on the internet get really angry when a games like Gone Home or Her Story critical praise because "they're not games!"

I'm not saying you are one of those people, I've just seen how ugly these conversations can get.

No one's been angry or ugly about it anywhere on this page except the very slight exception of one of your posts which someone has already pointed out so in this poster's opinion you should be the change you want to see.

Also, what I was referring to with sonic boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSL3j4WLGQ

31:50, I don't know how to embed a link that autojumps to the timestamp I want :shobon:

Beef Chief posted:

It looks to me like Ken has a divekick hurricane kick and it's really cool looking and Ken looks super cool and SFV looks cool.
gently caress you it's dumb, bitch...fucker.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I've just seen way to many people on the internet get really angry when a games like Gone Home or Her Story get critical praise because "they're not games!"

No need to fear dude. We have a very powerful individual in the thread with us who we can count on to put the kibosh on discussions if they get too dumb.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Beef Chief posted:

It's a new character.

Tae posted:

It could be zombie Alex.

return of Urien???

Beef Chief posted:

SFV looks cool.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

Jake's reaction shots are my favorite part of Ride to Hell. Reminds me of Samurai Cop. :allears:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ride to Hell is not a game, it is art. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEItCGjqcmc

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

bumble posted:

Jake's reaction shots are my favorite part of Ride to Hell. Reminds me of Samurai Cop. :allears:

YOU'RE THE DEVIIUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL!!!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Man, I just realized that Nier 2 is one of the most likely games to be Frog Fractions2, just because it would fit into Yoko Taro's MO.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ride to hell is the best thing SBF has done

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Can't find the link but there's this amazing exchange between a steam forum user and the Her Story devs which goes along the lines of

"How do I know when I've beaten the game?
"When you feel satisfied with what you've learned and reached your conclusion."
"How do I know when I'm satisfied?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, if I'm looking at this right, the Sell All button is just a 'Get rich quick' option that actually rips you off.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

No, that all adds up t be $580. Not like money has been a problem for them anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

No, that all adds up t be $580. Not like money has been a problem for them anyways.

Ohhh, I see what my problem was. I thought that the price on them was for a single unit, not the total price of all of it. So I thought that they'd sell 3 units of Gravity and get $135.