Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just saw this. I guess it's the 4th best Terminator movie. It was interesting until shortly after they left the 80s. Maybe right until Arnold goes into the security room to find Kyle and Sarah. The characters very rarely felt like they were in grave danger.

Genisys wasn't really explained beyond it links social media and electronics, it makes life easier. So the plan is something along the lines of
Step 1: activate and link everyone's Facebook/instagram to their cars. Step 2:??? Step 3: Judgement Day/World Domination

Not revealing who sent Pops back is annoying, clearly a set up for a sequel. If the second half hadn't been so boring I would have liked it a lot more. The movie started to feel very by the numbers and the pg-13 rating probably hurt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sasquatch! posted:

Yeah, jumping forward in time to what - a day before Genisys was released? - was just dumb. Even Connorbot said that he had been around for three years helping to make sure that Skynet went online.

They go to 2017 because that's what the prophetic dream told them to do, and Kyle had the prophetic dream because going to 2017 was totally successful.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Spacebump posted:

Genisys wasn't really explained beyond it links social media and electronics, it makes life easier. So the plan is something along the lines of
Step 1: activate and link everyone's Facebook/instagram to their cars. Step 2:??? Step 3: Judgement Day/World Domination

It's weird because if they just made it super siri it would have made way more sense and felt less vague.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I could swear there was explicitly a part of the movie where they say "Even defense systems" or something along those lines and it shows military dudes to make sure we super understand that This Is How Judgment Day Happens while explaining that Genisys will be linking literally everything together.

Maybe I imagined that.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Shima Honnou posted:

I could swear there was explicitly a part of the movie where they say "Even defense systems" or something along those lines and it shows military dudes to make sure we super understand that This Is How Judgment Day Happens while explaining that Genisys will be linking literally everything together.

Maybe I imagined that.

I just got out of the movie 10 minutes ago and they do mention that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Duke posted:

I just got out of the movie 10 minutes ago and they do mention that.

But what is the point of the app? What exactly does it do that makes linking everything, including militaries to an unreleased app a good idea?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spacebump posted:

But what is the point of the app? What exactly does it do that makes linking everything, including militaries to an unreleased app a good idea?

The movie basically stops the plot at one point so that Pops can point out that humanity is made up of morons who have become hopelessly dependent on unnecessary phone products.

"Killer app" has ironic context in this movie, outside the movie it has no meaning.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The movie basically stops the plot at one point so that Pops can point out that humanity is made up of morons who have become hopelessly dependent on unnecessary phone products.

"Killer app" has ironic context in this movie, outside the movie it has no meaning.

I was going to mention, didn't a goon from a platoon on here mention that at one point his CO was sending orders to people on a public Facebook account or something? Of all the things wrong with the movie, the world buying into hype that an app is going to be the next Facebook or whatever is completely plausible to me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie from Pops attempts at smiling :stonk: , to the throw away line as to how many people he's hobbled over the years via leg wounds. That loving Matt Smith could go jump in some molten metal though gently caress that. I was hoping that Connor would have come to the conclusion himself that in order to survive the war he'd have to make himself a machine instead of getting some weird infection. His delivery of how he'd never eat, sleep, be bargained with as he's wide eyed smiling and being shot at was pretty great.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Remember all the posters with Matt Smith firing a gun and yelling? I don't expect every poster to have scenes from the movie, but what a silly red herring.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Firstborn posted:

Remember all the posters with Matt Smith firing a gun and yelling? I don't expect every poster to have scenes from the movie, but what a silly red herring.
I just like to imagine Matt Smith Skynet, in infiltrating John's resistance group, screaming and firing the plasma guns at it's own Terminators and Hunter Killers

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone shut up something important just happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJiSZhA5cg
And they don't even get into The Sarah Connor Chronicles!

I never caught the age discrepancy in Terminator 3, huh.

And I wonder what does happen to Robert Patrick T-1000 when he shows up....

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

He gets a job building Cyberdyne and invents the liquid metal made from melted down nanomachines.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Cardboard Box A posted:

I just like to imagine Matt Smith Skynet, in infiltrating John's resistance group, screaming and firing the plasma guns at it's own Terminators and Hunter Killers

I'm pretty sure that's what is supposed to have happened!

I still haven't seen the film yet, though, I'm disappointed to learn that Matt Smith wasn't actually shown fighting alongside John and Kyle before the big reveal.

It wouldn't Skynet wouldn't be shooting its own Terminators... since Matt Smith Skynet is from a different timeline or other universe or something. Doesn't care about the Skynet in this timeline being destroyed, its plan is to take over John Connor and then rewrite everything so an entirely different future war takes place.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 10, 2015

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

I never caught the age discrepancy in Terminator 3, huh.

I never caught the Sarah Connor headstone thing, but I think they got John's age from T2 wrong also. I only just started the video so maybe it's mentioned.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

AdmiralViscen posted:

I never caught the Sarah Connor headstone thing, but I think they got John's age from T2 wrong also. I only just started the video so maybe it's mentioned.
T2 is when all of the timeline got wacky. The movie came out in 1991, but is supposed to have taken place in 1995 when John Connor was 10 (despite the fact that the actor was like 14).

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sasquatch! posted:

T2 is when all of the timeline got wacky. The movie came out in 1991, but is supposed to have taken place in 1995 when John Connor was 10 (despite the fact that the actor was like 14).

No, I mean in T3. John Connor misstates when the second movie took place (I think he gets his own age wrong). The stuff in your post isn't actually a contradiction within the movie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone shut up something important just happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJiSZhA5cg

This is a pretty fantastic parody of trying to make objective sense of time travel movies.

The joke, rather than being that Genisys is complicated (it isn't), is that when nerds put on lab coats and try to be 'timeline scientists', they cannot really make any sense of movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shima Honnou posted:

Maybe I imagined that.

In 2017, all fighter planes, boats, drones, and machine guns will have their own facebook pages.

Kinda funny Genysis is like facebook/xboxlive but they also dabble in the creation of time machines?

Kinda like facebook and VR, what the hell are they planning? The Matrix?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

In 2017, all fighter planes, boats, drones, and machine guns will have their own facebook pages.

Kinda funny Genysis is like facebook/xboxlive but they also dabble in the creation of time machines?

Kinda like facebook and VR, what the hell are they planning? The Matrix?

Remember when the social network presence of a squadron of apache helicopters got them all mortared? Good times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sasquatch! posted:

I just love that Furlong grew up into the gooniest loving goon who ever did goon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

Remember when the social network presence of a squadron of apache helicopters got them all mortared? Good times.

There's also Brown Moses who has made a career recently by following Russian soldiers loving up their super-sekkrit invasion of Ukraine by posting selfies everywhere where they weren't supposed to be. Also, he and his Bellingcat site were able to track the anti-aircraft missile vehicle that shot down MH17 to it's home unit in Russia, including a selfie of possibly the man who shot it down.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Ddfffcccx

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Young Freud posted:

There's also Brown Moses who has made a career recently by following Russian soldiers loving up their super-sekkrit invasion of Ukraine by posting selfies everywhere where they weren't supposed to be. Also, he and his Bellingcat site were able to track the anti-aircraft missile vehicle that shot down MH17 to it's home unit in Russia, including a selfie of possibly the man who shot it down.

You got a link to that stuff?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Spacebump posted:

The idea is that it's a 'universal' operating system - able to work on any device. So you can be like "Siri, start my car." Then you tell the car "car, boot up my office PC, and head over there." This all works because it's secretly an AI.

In the military, you can just tell software "send the bombers over there," and whatever. Everything is will be perfectly coordinated.

The end-goal of all this is illustrated by the new Connor: people will hook thier own brains up to the software, joining Genysis's army entirely voluntarily. They won't even realize they're the bad guys.

Like I was saying, this movie is extremely good with the show-don't-tell. When you watch the ending, it's important to keep in mind that - according to the rules of Terminator time travel - little Kyle Reese is now doomed to travel back in time and 'become' this Reese. That's why the ending is bittersweet. A lesser film would spell this out.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ive not read any of the thread yet, and im fresh back from the thearter. Please for give train of thought phone posting.

It was a good scifi movie, and a bad terminator movie. Terminator to me has always seemed like it should be tight and gritty. It felt like a fun ride with Arnold along. It wasn't as terrible as I was expecting but it was still bad.

I didnt think the future lasers were as dumb as I thought theyd be

The intro to John was loving retarded, descending from heaven like a savior

john being a terminator is certainly....something....they could have done better. Like for sure, time travel make no sense in universe and theres a billion of em, and like we got terminators poppin outta the woodwork so poo poo is just all hosed up basically at this point but Im just underwhelmed. Could have been executed better

I like young arnold

I liked young arnold saving sarah at the lake

Have you mated lol

Lotta throwing and letting people live and walking away when they coulda killed someone

I thought the sequence with Reese running from the revived t800 was well done

Arnold lives was dumb as gently caress, but hey more upgraded Arnold for the sequals

The post credit was dumb. $$$

I really enjoyed Reeses introduction and that whole scene of running through the department store

That cop that surivied and helped them was cool

Genysys lol

I wonder how much nike paid for that shot of Reese slipping them on in the photobooth and he even STRAPPED THE VELCRO AND PATTED IT.

Dolla dolla bills yall

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Waroduce posted:

Lotta throwing and letting people live and walking away when they coulda killed someone

That's why I made a proper Terminator film, for the true fans.

Waroduce posted:

I wonder how much nike paid for that shot of Reese slipping them on in the photobooth and he even STRAPPED THE VELCRO AND PATTED IT.

Dolla dolla bills yall

You mean this shot?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't believe people got mad at that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I can't believe people got mad at that.

Yeah, that's probably the single shot of the whole movie that felt like I was watching a truly authentic '80s movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably because it was actually shot for shot taken out of one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

You got a link to that stuff?

Pretty much the entirity of the Eastern Europe thread in D&D. Threads been going on for over a year now and there's so many instances of this stuff happening.

However, a bit shorter would be Simon Ostrovsky's
Selfie Soldiers documentary on VICE, the documentary where he got banned from entering Russia ever again for recreating shots in Ukraine taken from geolocated selfie shots of Russia's "vacationing" soldiers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The idea is that it's a 'universal' operating system - able to work on any device. So you can be like "Siri, start my car." Then you tell the car "car, boot up my office PC, and head over there." This all works because it's secretly an AI.

In the military, you can just tell software "send the bombers over there," and whatever. Everything is will be perfectly coordinated.

The end-goal of all this is illustrated by the new Connor: people will hook thier own brains up to the software, joining Genysis's army entirely voluntarily. They won't even realize they're the bad guys.

Like I was saying, this movie is extremely good with the show-don't-tell. When you watch the ending, it's important to keep in mind that - according to the rules of Terminator time travel - little Kyle Reese is now doomed to travel back in time and 'become' this Reese. That's why the ending is bittersweet. A lesser film would spell this out.

The idea that all militaries with nuclear arsenals would link those to a new app on launch day is ridiculous and not believable. Even if other military mishaps have already happened involving social media.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The idea that all militaries with nuclear arsenals would link those to a new app on launch day is ridiculous and not believable. Even if other military mishaps have already happened involving social media.

Nuclear arsenals are always going to have a man in the loop, if it being the President or a military officer, especially after you have incidents like Stanislav Petrov to contradict erroneous orders.

I believe I brought this up elsewhere in the thread, but even connecting everything through a centralized network wouldn't fix anything since the missiles themselves have a limited amount of targeting and telemetry data that can't be reprogrammed on the fly: Minuteman warheads either take a magnetic tape or an EPROM cartridge with two attack profiles, because Strategic Air Command assumed that the crewmen would not have enough time to get confirmation, do prelaunch, and set new coordinates before they'd get hit in a first strike, so they went the simple route to assign a first strike and retaliatory launch profile and turn a key once everything hits the fan. And subs, ships, and bombers, that can possibly have mutable target changes, have their arsenals firmly under human control.

Also, the military tends to be very conservative when it comes to technology and it takes years if not decades for them to accept new systems for field use.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 12, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Spacebump posted:

It's not really an app, and they didn't say anything about nukes in the movie.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just returned from seeing the film.

It's better than Salvation. It's got some good moments and scenes - better than I expected, but overall, kinda meh. Rather bloodless and tensionless, too, and there's the amusing nudity censorship, but I guess that's to do with the ratings.

Jai Courtney is blandly acceptable as Kyle, Emilia Clarke is pretty awful as Sarah Connor, and there's zero chemistry between them. Arnie is Arnie. It's an acceptable, but forgettable movie.

On the plus side, it got my friend into being interested in seeing the first two movies (why he chose to start with the fifth film in a franchise is beyond me).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not really an app, and they didn't say anything about nukes in the movie.

The closest they come to it is showing missiles on a tv screen while talking about Genisys's launch day. They weren't nukes, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like there could've been some really good tension and stakes until the end. Arnold dying could've been huge, but then not only do they bring him back, they upgrade him and completely remove the "you're getting old." plotline. Same with the stinger. Did Skynet really need to reactivate? Having the fifth movie be about the status quo trying to reassert itself would be way better than "Judgment Day just happens anyway, deal with it."

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Is this going to be released in China? :confused:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hbomberguy posted:

This is a pretty fantastic parody of trying to make objective sense of time travel movies.

The joke, rather than being that Genisys is complicated (it isn't), is that when nerds put on lab coats and try to be 'timeline scientists', they cannot really make any sense of movies.

Yeah I guess you can deliberately misinterpret the video that way.

Cardboard Box A posted:

No one should get into the Sarah Connor chronicles.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
TSCC > Terminator 3-5, I said it. Lena Headey should've been SC in a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I guess you can deliberately misinterpret the video that way.
How is it a misinterpretation?

• Locked thread