Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Amethyst posted:

What does the fact that Brianna Wu was born with the shiniest silver spoon in her mouth ever have to do with anything? Brianna Wu, who spends all day every day on twitter lecturing people about their privilege?

Absolutely nothing.

Even assuming this is true, this actually isn't hypocrisy, and the fact that you think it is implies you don't understand what people lecturing you about privilege means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Dominic White posted:

Broadly well reviewed, according to Metacritic, I gather it sold decently, there's a PC port coming...

I'd never heard of it until Gamergate started declaring it the worst game ever made, though. So that's something!

But if someone took a poo poo on your chest you'd give it a 9/10 so that means little coming from you

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Neurolimal posted:

Not sure why you're trying to drag whatever grudge you have against me into this thread, just pointing out that going "nuh-uh" when someone asks you to back up your assertions doesn't do much to make you or gamergate look good.

I don't have a grudge. You spiced up those first few threads. Also cheesy anime pizza.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dominic White posted:

Broadly well reviewed, according to Metacritic, I gather it sold decently, there's a PC port coming...

I'd never heard of it until Gamergate started declaring it the worst game ever made, though. So that's something!

Revolution 60 is not a good game. This is an objective fact, and is plainly obvious if you watch 10 seconds of video footage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sGM9DwyZw

Get this: those obviously wrong metacritic review scores are the kind of thing that get the gamergate morons frothing at the mouth angry!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Get this: those obviously wrong metacritic review scores are the kind of thing that get the gamergate morons frothing at the mouth angry!

Aaah, people liked a game that you don't like, which is clearly unethical because people aren't allowed to have other opinions! Glad we're getting to the heart of the matter.

'Objectively bad' and 'Objectively wrong' are complete bullshit non-terms in the context of inherently subjective opinions on media. Please stop using them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's interesting to think back to how this (particular) thread started- with a guy claiming that the women of Street Fighter aren't sexy. And now it's ended up with arguments about twitter screenshots. And the only thing in between that has been shown to be correct is the irrelevant reminder that people who wear fruit hats in public don't make good decisions.

But what's interesting in here (apart from the things I can't say anymore :() is that you have all these people insisting that they can't control the conversation, that controlling conversation is actually evil. People have compared this nonsense to Occupy, but funnily enough, Occupy went to great lengths to shut down white supremacists, conspiracy theorists, etc. and keep them out of the internal conversations and thus decision-making. Externally, of course, the media zoomed in on them and on the homeless people directed towards Occupy by the police, but internally a number of safeties were in place to keep crazy and malevolent people from hijacking things. If people really were concerned with harassment by the thing-they-are-definitely-not-associated-with-or-a-follower-of-but-agree-completely-with-in-practice, they would do well to learn from that example. But Occupy was put together by anarchists, who don't really put stock in "human nature", while GG seems to be a libertarian venture, focused on a belief in "human nature".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Could you fuckers leave the goalposts where they're standing for five minutes, please? Apparently she's gone from being a Dog Killer to Attention Whore to Worst Game Developer Ever to Someone Who Talks About Social Issues and all of these are supposed to be retroactive justifications for a months-long campaign of organized abuse and harassment?

Step off.

That was the second post I've ever made in this thread so I'm hardly shifting any goalposts. I haven't harassed anyone on twitter and haven't leveled any slurs at any of these women.

Brianna Wu being a giant hypocrite is funny. You should laugh at her.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Amethyst posted:

Revolution 60 is not a good game. This is an objective fact, and is plainly obvious if you watch 10 seconds of video footage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sGM9DwyZw

You'd probably think they'd get more results attacking those obviously wrong review givers than the people making the games, assuming you weren't a complete idiot, that is.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ddraig posted:

You'd probably think they'd get more results attacking those obviously wrong review givers than the people making the games, assuming you weren't a complete idiot, that is.

Hrrm.. Attack reviewers you disagree with (clearly unethical), or an all-female mobile development team (SUPER UNETHICAL). The Gamergate Dilemma.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Ddraig posted:

It's hard when the game maker in question says things like she is one of the leading unreal engine devs. How can you resist that?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Denim Dude posted:

It's hard when the game maker in question says things says she is one of the leading unreal engine devs. How can you resist that?

By being an adult rather than a child, and having willpower.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Aaah, people liked a game that you don't like, which is clearly unethical because people aren't allowed to have other opinions! Glad we're getting to the heart of the matter.

'Objectively bad' and 'Objectively wrong' are complete bullshit non-terms in the context of inherently subjective opinions on media. Please stop using them.

Wow, this is some insightful post modern perspective, and definitely not an intellectually lazy everything is relative man bullshit deployed to defend a game that looks like this:

out of a misguided sense of political obligation

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Denim Dude posted:

It's hard when the game maker in question says things like she is one of the leading unreal engine devs. How can you resist that?

I know. I just can't help myself. if I see someone I disagree with, I get everyone I know to band together to make their life miserable for months too! It's just the natural, instinctive thing to do if you're apparently a pack of screeching hyena-mutant CHUDs.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Hrrm.. Attack reviewers you disagree with (clearly unethical), or an all-female mobile development team (SUPER UNETHICAL). The Gamergate Dilemma.

i'm not "attacking" her, you idiot, I'm criticizing her lovely game

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Denim Dude posted:

So is it about ethics in games journalism or ethics in developer's sense of self importance? Because if it's the latter why has Peter Molyneux resisted their wrath? There's a missing connection, I'm sure of it. What could it be?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

Wow, this is some insightful post modern perspective, and definitely not an intellectually lazy everything is relative man bullshit deployed to defend a game that looks like this:

It can't be as lovely as this piece of crap turd:

Can you imagine how politically motivated you'd have to be to like something as ugly as that game?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Denim Dude posted:

First part, I assume Twitter post times are sync'd to your local time. Notice how they both end in :14. So someone was in a different timezone? I don't use twitter either.

Second part, might be considered doxxing. Not going to chance it even with your say so.

Third part, It's been a year of drunk posting and hazy memories. I already admitted that I was wrong.

How is it 'doxxing' to do that, but not to talk about Wu's parents giving her money? I don't get this reticence.

The twitter explanation seems likely, and that Wu may have gotten money from her parents, the lucky duck. This obviously proves that something something.

Anyway, cool that you admitted that you were wrong. Any chance you're wrong about McIntosh too? Also--why is it important?

And the other dude, who claimed Sarkeesian is also from big money--can you back that one up? Also--why is it important?

Amethyst posted:

What does the fact that Brianna Wu was born with the shiniest silver spoon in her mouth ever have to do with anything? Brianna Wu, who spends all day every day on twitter lecturing people about their privilege?

Absolutely nothing.

Even assuming that your characterization of her tweeting was correct, you do know that someone can be rich and still experience stuff like sexism, transphobia, etc., right? Being rich doesn't insulate you from that.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How anyone could defend that visual abortion is loving beyond me, but hey, go ahead.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Amethyst posted:

Dapper Dan posted:

How anyone could defend that visual abortion is loving beyond me, but hey, go ahead.

What do you think of Dwarf Fortress's graphics?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
People have to defend it for ideological reasons.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Effectronica posted:

By being an adult rather than a child, and having willpower.

I don't know. even adults can still laugh at funny things. Gamergate has been consistently funnier than most of the shows on television. Do you call people who laugh at TV shows children too?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

What do you think of Dwarf Fortress's graphics?

They're fine, because they're trying to be a rouge-like and made by one guy with OCD. That's made by an entire female game development studio over nearly half a decade.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Looks pretty awkward to me (needs some shadows, stat!), but for an iOS game meant to run on older-gen hardware? Makes sense.

Never played it. Don't have any iOS devices, so can't. Don't particularly want to, but it seems relatively well regarded as a game, so...? I'm apparently the worst? Apparently anyone that gave it a positive review is Objectively Wrong and also The Worst too.

I wonder what other games are Objectively Bad? Anyone got a list?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Can you imagine how politically motivated you'd have to be to like something as ugly as that game?

Not only is there a thirty year technological gap between these two games, they have completely different goals. The aim of that strategy game is to represent an abstract structure as clearly as possible, and it achieves that goal.

Rev60 is aiming to stage drama in an effective, cinematic fashion, and it fails.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Wu's game is unsightly, but at least it's ugly in a early 2000s sort of way.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Obdicut posted:

How is it 'doxxing' to do that, but not to talk about Wu's parents giving her money? I don't get this reticence.

Brianna Wu tweeted what she tweeted. Johnathan McIntosh never said hey guys my dads name is ______ _____!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Denim Dude posted:

I don't know. even adults can still laugh at funny things. Gamergate has been consistently funnier than most of the shows on television. Do you call people who laugh at TV shows children too?

Excuse me, I thought you were responding to a comment someone else made, instead of free-associating wildly.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The game's bad

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Obdicut posted:

Even assuming that your characterization of her tweeting was correct, you do know that someone can be rich and still experience stuff like sexism, transphobia, etc., right? Being rich doesn't insulate you from that.
Because identity politics has been hijacked by reactionary capitalists as a huge distraction and it's working. Brianna Wu Is a synechdoche of the whole phenomenon. Look up her posts about how loving awesome capitalism is

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

Not only is there a thirty year technological gap between these two games, they have completely different goals. The aim of that strategy game is to represent an abstract structure as clearly as possible, and it achieves that goal.

Rev60 is aiming to stage drama in an effective, cinematic fashion, and it fails.

This is blatant politics, and ideological besides.

Seriously, you, and the rest of the people whining about the graphics, are third-rate gamers and you should not be allowed to talk about gaming anymore.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dominic White posted:

Looks pretty awkward to me (needs some shadows, stat!), but for an iOS game meant to run on older-gen hardware? Makes sense.

Never played it. Don't have any iOS devices, so can't. Don't particularly want to, but it seems relatively well regarded as a game, so...? I'm apparently the worst? Apparently anyone that gave it a positive review is Objectively Wrong and also The Worst too.

I wonder what other games are Objectively Bad? Anyone got a list?

We're going to play a game. What year did this iOS game come out?

The answer? 2010. It was the first unreal engine 3 iOS game. They're made in the same engine.

Mutation posted:

Wu's game is unsightly, but at least it's ugly in a early 2000s sort of way.

Nobody tries to ape early 3d because it was rear end ugly. That's why nobody goes from pixel art to PS1.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 10, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

We're going to play a game. What year did this iOS game come out?

The answer? 2010. It was the first unreal engine 3 iOS game. They're made in the same engine.

Always wanted to play that. Unfortunately it runs at about 5fps on my 3GS, which is the one and only Apple device I've ever owned, rendering it effectively unplayable.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Oh no!!!! Not p-p-p-politics!!!!

quote:

Seriously, you, and the rest of the people whining about the graphics, are third-rate gamers and you should not be allowed to talk about gaming anymore.

ahahahahah you just tried to leverage gamer cred, to defend a game that is nothing but a series of unfailable quick time events.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Also can't people be allowed to make bad art? Is being a unsuccessful game dev some moral flaw?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

That looks like it could be an older game so maybe the graphics are actually pretty decent compared to the other games for the same platform, of that time.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

Oh no!!!! Not p-p-p-politics!!!!

So did you just puke onto the keyboard and not read what you wrote earlier or what?

quote:

ahahahahah you just tried to leverage gamer cred, to defend a game that is nothing but a series of unfailable quick time events.

Funny how instead of talking about the poor gameplay, you talk about how it looks. You're shallow, the Artist Formerly Known As Blue Stymie, very shallow.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Effectronica posted:

They're allowed to criticize a game

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Effectronica posted:

So did you just puke onto the keyboard and not read what you wrote earlier or what?

Funny how instead of talking about the poor gameplay, you talk about how it looks. You're shallow, the Artist Formerly Known As Blue Stymie, very shallow.

I talked about both. You literally just quoted a post where I talked about the gameplay, you stupendous idiot.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Dapper Dan posted:

They're fine, because they're trying to be a rouge-like and made by one guy with OCD. That's made by an entire female game development studio over nearly half a decade.

Oh, okay, I thought you were saying the graphics were bad by calling it a 'visual abortion'.

Amethyst posted:

Because identity politics has been hijacked by reactionary capitalists as a huge distraction and it's working. Brianna Wu Is a synechdoche of the whole phenomenon. Look up her posts about how loving awesome capitalism is

I'm sorry, this conspiracy theory is too weird for me.

Denim Dude posted:

Brianna Wu tweeted what she tweeted. Johnathan McIntosh never said hey guys my dads name is ______ _____!

Okay. Given that you claimed he'd said that his dad had a private island when he didn't and this was verifiable in like 5 seconds, I don't actually trust your information about his dad. I also am confused as to why any of this is relevant.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Excuse me, I thought you were responding to a comment someone else made, instead of free-associating wildly.

Yeah but Brianna Wu saying she is a leading unreal developer is funny. I like to laugh at the funny things.

• Locked thread