Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Kalman posted:

Looks like there's lots of people willing to step up against him, it's just that he keeps steam-rollering them under his feet.

Can't wait for an ad with a giant comical Sestak stomping on kids, dogs, jobs, etc.

Bonus points if his shoes are Hillary-boks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

mandatory lesbian posted:

whoa new hampshire has a heroin epidemic, i should live there
Most of the country does I think.

It's because almost all of the opiate-prescribing doctors have come around to the fact that they were basically drug dealers in the getting-people-addicted/dead sense and that the drugs are a bad solution for chronic pain.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pangstrom posted:

It's because almost all of the opiate-prescribing doctors have come around to the fact that they were basically drug dealers in the getting-people-addicted/dead sense and that the drugs are a bad solution for chronic pain.

You're forgetting to mention that the doctors came around to that after the cops finally started to come knocking. Not exactly an "out of the goodness of their hearts" sort of thing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're forgetting to mention that the doctors came around to that after the cops finally started to come knocking. Not exactly an "out of the goodness of their hearts" sort of thing.
Well sure on the tail end but most doctors stopped because the word belatedly got to them. There was (and to some extent still is) a PATIENTS RIGHTS TO HAVE THEIR PAIN TREATED thing which, hope you're sitting down, had some industry support!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

The state party is backing Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski. Allentown City Hall is currently taking some heat from the FBI.

Wrap it up, Pawlowskiailures. Turns out an FBI raid is a bad sign for your campaign.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Does Rendell seriously have something better to do? He can still back Clinton I the process.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pangstrom posted:

i disagree, opiates are awesome for treating chronic pain

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

On the other hand they're bad for treating low-grade or incidental pain which is what bad doctors prescribe them for and broadly considered a contributing factor to the widespread abuse by prior patients.

I imagine eventually MMJ will be considered a front line treatment for chronic pain, and maybe at that point opiates/opioids will be relegated to rare and under supervision.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

De Nomolos posted:

Does Rendell seriously have something better to do? He can still back Clinton I the process.

He wants a cabinet position. He speaks constantly about infrastructure ~ at think tanks, on TV, on the radio, and on Twitter, so I suspect he's angling for Transportation. Although if the Clintons asked him to run for Senate instead, he probably would.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Well maybe you're the set of people that don't get habituated/hyperalgesic and hopefully you're not prone to addiction, but regardless good luck with that!

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

He wants a cabinet position. He speaks constantly about infrastructure ~ at think tanks, on TV, on the radio, and on Twitter, so I suspect he's angling for Transportation. Although if the Clintons asked him to run for Senate instead, he probably would.

No funding for it without a Dem congress at this point. The GOP will block any funding to President Hillary.

Do it, Ed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pangstrom posted:

Well maybe you're the set of people that don't get habituated/hyperalgesic and hopefully you're not prone to addiction, but regardless good luck with that!

Opiates can really sneak up on you, too. I have basically no addictive tendencies at all. I used to smoke heavily, and after two years just got kinda bored with it and quit cold turkey without any withdrawals or issues at all.

I was on Vicodin off-and-on a couple of times over the course of having a root canal redone 3 times because the surgeon kept loving up, and then being on more after I immediately sprained my ankle and tore my meniscus simultaneously after the tooth drama was done.

One day I wasn't in pain anymore, but still had a few pills left. I decided to stop taking them. A day or so later I felt like I had a really terrible flu and called in sick to work. When I felt no better the next day, I figured "gently caress it, I've got a few of these pills left, I'll take one just so this flu isn't so bothersome and I can go to work".

After taking the Vicodin, all of my flu-like symptoms disappeared nearly instantly. It was a real "holy poo poo" moment for me, because I realized I was physically addicted to these things that I'd only been taking for a couple months. I rationed the remaining pills to get myself to the weekend to cut them off, and it still took til the following Wednesday before I felt 100%. I can't even imagine how hard it would be for someone who had been on them for a truly extended period of time.

That's not to say they don't have their uses. I could not have coped with the amount of pain those root canals caused me without them. I literally cried from the pain. Like, straight up sobbing. It was unbearable. But doctors are insanely cavalier about prescribing them and don't really discuss a strategy to wean yourself off them or what to expect when you stop taking them.

And if you call your doctor to tell them "hey, I'm having trouble stopping this prescription", you're going to be branded a drug addict and all your interactions with healthcare from then on are going to be significantly worse because they won't give you drugs when you truly need them.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeesh, scary. Yeah they're great for short term pain relief and for end-of-life stuff but yeah using them long-term is a bad plan unless it's literally the only other option... which I guess is the gist of the suboxone model for incurable addicts etc.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
As if Trump wasn't feast enough for this electoral cycle, Alan Grayson is running for FL Sen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Franco Potente posted:

As if Trump wasn't feast enough for this electoral cycle, Alan Grayson is running for FL Sen.

The state party would be wise to get well shut of him, that's for sure.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That creates a big problem for Hillary, if he wins the primary.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Grayson?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Yeah. She's going be campaigning in Florida, which means she's going to be appearing at campaign events with the Democratic Party's candidate for Senate.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Yeah. She's going be campaigning in Florida, which means she's going to be appearing at campaign events with the Democratic Party's candidate for Senate.

Didn't Mitten's skip out on some events with crazy Republicans?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Didn't Mitten's skip out on some events with crazy Republicans?

Skipping Florida is not an option however. Flyover state that Steve King analogue #4 represents is a lot easier to avoid.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Skipping Florida is not an option however. Flyover state that Steve King analogue #4 represents is a lot easier to avoid.

I was thinking Nevada, but that was 2010.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Florida's gonna make it interesting in 2016. Hillary's going to be palling around with Grayson while Jeb!(or Walker) has to share the stage with Voldemort and DeSantis. Which candidate will lose the most support in the other 49 States campaigning in Florida?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gyges posted:

Hillary's going to be palling around with Grayson

One of the problems with Grayson is that he might make a big deal of not palling around with Hillary.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

One of the problems with Grayson is that he might make a big deal of not palling around with Hillary.

So you're saying there's nothing but upside for her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The FL Supreme Court ordered that 8 congressional districts be redrawn (this isn't even the first time either, my district was supposed to change before the 2014 elections but that was pushed back) due to them violating our 2010 state ballot initiative. It amended the state constitution in order to force fairer district boundaries.

The majority opinion in the case specifically points out how state Republicans deliberately redrew districts against state law to favor Republican incumbents.

quote:

The 5-2 decision was written by Justice Barbara Pariente, who ruled the Legislature unconstitutionally favored the Republican Party in redrawing its maps. She also scolded the legislative leaders for destroying redistricting records and adjusting maps in secret meetings with Republican political operative to create an appearance of a transparent process while conspiring to favor Republicans.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-florida-high-court-orders-congressional-maps-redrawn-20150709-post.html

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

The FL Supreme Court ordered that 8 congressional districts be redrawn (this isn't even the first time either, my district was supposed to change before the 2014 elections but that was pushed back) due to them violating our 2010 state ballot initiative. It amended the state constitution in order to force fairer district boundaries.

The majority opinion in the case specifically points out how state Republicans deliberately redrew districts against state law to favor Republican incumbents.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-florida-high-court-orders-congressional-maps-redrawn-20150709-post.html

They're just going to do the same thing they did last few times and take the opportunity to violate the 2010 amendment again. Even if by some miracle they manage to not blatantly violate the law, Corrine Brown will sue in Federal Court because she's a corrupt piece of poo poo who would still win her gerrymandered to gently caress district anyway but that's not good enough for her.

I'd like to at least have a chance at some loving Democrats in my district Corrine.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Rep. Todd Young (R-IN) joins the field to replace Sen. Coats

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Grayson looks like every big dumb guy I went to HS with that wanted to be a bully but was too stupid to even manage that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Grayson looks like every big dumb guy I went to HS with that wanted to be a bully but was too stupid to even manage that.

Plus he's corrupt as poo poo, a lousy campaigner, and DU supports him, so there's three reasons to not back him.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

pangstrom posted:

Well sure on the tail end but most doctors stopped because the word belatedly got to them. There was (and to some extent still is) a PATIENTS RIGHTS TO HAVE THEIR PAIN TREATED thing which, hope you're sitting down, had some industry support!

Opiods are well-known and generic as gently caress though. It's gonna take a lot of work on your part to convince me that what pharma interest exists in this is anywhere near as strong as the anti-drug warrior interest. These drugs are tightly regulated and tightening it further is unlikely to be helpful because pain control is a very important thing.

Getting appropriate pain control is very difficult for a lot of people, and blanket statements about classes of drugs don't help anything. Physical dependency and addiction are risks, but they have to be balanced against living in intense pain when other medications don't work.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lyesh posted:

Opiods are well-known and generic as gently caress though. It's gonna take a lot of work on your part to convince me that what pharma interest exists in this is anywhere near as strong as the anti-drug warrior interest. These drugs are tightly regulated and tightening it further is unlikely to be helpful because pain control is a very important thing.

Getting appropriate pain control is very difficult for a lot of people, and blanket statements about classes of drugs don't help anything. Physical dependency and addiction are risks, but they have to be balanced against living in intense pain when other medications don't work.
I won't use the "it's gonna take a lot of work on your part" construction BUT drug warriors generally don't butt heads with pharmaceutical companies. Guessing you're on opioids for something, sorry about that and yeah sometimes it IS the only option.

Here is an article with a decent overview if you are interested:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/do-people-in-pain-have-a-right-to-relief/375948/

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Some rumblings on the PA Senate front.

Seems like the DSCC wants Katie McGinty to run. She is currently Governor Wolf's Chief-of-Staff. It's still possible she will decline to run in order to focus on the budget fight currently under way between the Governor's office and PA's moronic and reactionary GOP-controlled legislature. But:

quote:

Katie McGinty’s flirtation with a U.S. Senate run appeared more ardent after her weekend trip to Martha’s Vineyard for an event for potential candidates hosted by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Sestak must be panicking! The DSCC, courting a challenger to his presently unopposed candidacy? How will he react?

quote:

Danielle Lynch, a spokesman for Mr. Sestak said he, too, had been invited to the DSCC event...

Oh! I guess they were both just there so DSCC members could feel them out and -

quote:

...but chose not to attend,

żWhat could have happened? Is the prospective Senator unwell?

quote:

spending his weekend instead “meeting Pennsylvanians from Elk County to Bucks County.”

Ah.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've met Sestak a few times and he is a legitimately good guy and has generic liberal Democrat policy positions, but whoever is advising him is doing a terrible job. Also, he polls a lot lower than generic Democrat for some reason and seems like this Senate seat, which should be a reasonably easy win, is going to get thrown.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
McGuinty is an awful choice and shows that the Anyone But Joe group is getting desperate. Her campaign for governor went absolutely nowhere aginst Schwartz, McCord, etc. At least Sestak won his primary and took Toomey to the wire, as far as I can tell she's done nothing electorally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are rumors circulating that Florida's current Lieutenant Governor, Carlos Lopez-Cantera (R), will be announcing his run for Rubio's seat tomorrow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/elections-2016/article25078312.html

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've met Sestak a few times and he is a legitimately good guy and has generic liberal Democrat policy positions, but whoever is advising him is doing a terrible job. Also, he polls a lot lower than generic Democrat for some reason and seems like this Senate seat, which should be a reasonably easy win, is going to get thrown.

It probably has to do with him being seen as a loser. Hasn't he run and lost before?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are rumors circulating that Florida's current Lieutenant Governor, Carlos Lopez-Cantera (R), will be announcing his run for Rubio's seat tomorrow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/elections-2016/article25078312.html

Poor guy is already only the 3rd most crazy person in the race. He's going to have to work hard to put out enough crazy to compete in the Republican primary. Also being linked to Rick Scott isn't exactly a bonus even for a Republican.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gyges posted:

Poor guy is already only the 3rd most crazy person in the race. He's going to have to work hard to put out enough crazy to compete in the Republican primary. Also being linked to Rick Scott isn't exactly a bonus even for a Republican.

Watch Pam Bondi win it in a landslide due to starbursts around the room, etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, Pam Bondi would probably win in a landslide. I wish I could find a picture of her campaign signs from 2010. The ones around here were her picture with the with the text Pam Bondi FL Attorney General. All the other chumps didn't shell out the money for anything other than text. Pretty sure this was the picture she was using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doesn't change the fact that she's a batshit right wing shithead who probably has some form of indictment out there with her name in the defendant field.

• Locked thread