Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it means your MySpace theme sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vinigre posted:

Last time something like that happened to me, I was playing Euro Truck Simulator 2. It was a combination using a mod and running the game in OpenGL mode.

So my question to you is, are you running this on Windows, and are you running any mods?

It's on Windows, yeah. I have mods installed but I can't remember which ones. I haven't played in at least a month.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

mr sad posted:

It's on Windows, yeah. I have mods installed but I can't remember which ones. I haven't played in at least a month.

My advice to you is to first figure out how to reliably make it happen again, then remove all mods and re-add them one-by-one, retrying to get it to happen until you find the mod that does it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

mr sad posted:

Assuming you have it on steam, have you tried verifying the game cache? something could have gotten messed up in a patch or something.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vinigre posted:

My advice to you is to first figure out how to reliably make it happen again, then remove all mods and re-add them one-by-one, retrying to get it to happen until you find the mod that does it.

It happens every time I load the game. All the text looks like that, in-game and in the menus. I've removed all the mods and it's still doing that.

e: I also tried reinstalling and verifying the files

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 9, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's still incredibly performance intensive, though.

And then the authors are all see it's possible why doesn't CO just do it huh.

They wouldn't even add too many buildings into one set for fear of performance issues.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Skyrim guys released an HD texture pack dlc for free that let users with high end machines have a better experience without alienating the users with low end systems.

Or at least, it would be nice to be able to subscribe to a curated mod collection. People have been attempting that in Minecraft and KSP for years with little success.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hadlock posted:

The Skyrim guys released an HD texture pack dlc for free that let users with high end machines have a better experience without alienating the users with low end systems.

That certainly didn't affect game mechanics, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It makes you wonder how CO is going to approach potentially heavily performance impacting DLC in the future, as from the sounds of it their plans going forward are to add further depth to the simulation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any road in the vanilla version that is the three single-direction lane that is the entry/exit-way into new cities?

Also, in my latest city, when I was hovering over my city I noticed that my sewage exit had dropped to a weird location:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/629725907438874100/2D7664D5B26233E5FBB0B4D2BA6E8F3640D2B500/

Can't see it?

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/629725907438873701/A30BB6686E35F98AAE0F3DD8E45F9A41A5F1A251/

It's a submersible! I really have no idea how that happened.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

Is there any road in the vanilla version that is the three single-direction lane that is the entry/exit-way into new cities?

Are you talking about highways? They're available after a certain population is hit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Are you talking about highways? They're available after a certain population is hit.

The only highways I've seen are 5-lane (or 6-lane?) single directions, I'd like 3 lanes for no other reason than aesthetics.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

The only highways I've seen are 5-lane (or 6-lane?) single directions, I'd like 3 lanes for no other reason than aesthetics.

They're three lane each direction and laid independently of one another.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It makes you wonder how CO is going to approach potentially heavily performance impacting DLC in the future, as from the sounds of it their plans going forward are to add further depth to the simulation.
Short of running entirely new agent systems on top of everything for some reason (they already have SC as an example that water and poop agents are maybe overkill), new systems will presumably be traffic dictated but otherwise fairly low overhead like the economy currently is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MikeJF posted:

And then the authors are all see it's possible why doesn't CO just do it huh.

They wouldn't even add too many buildings into one set for fear of performance issues.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

An interview with Colossal's CEO made the rounds a week or two ago, wherein she said straight out that they won't be making any major upgrades to the game's traffic simulation, because anything more complex than what's already there makes the game too resource-intensive and they don't want the bar for how powerful a user's computer has to be to play the game at all set too high.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a traffic jam issue: how would I best fix this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

double nine posted:

I have a traffic jam issue: how would I best fix this?

Get rid of the light or turn the whole thing into a roundabout.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not really a traffic jam anyway, traffic problems are kind of a joke under 30k population.

But that intersection will definitely have problems down the road. Killing the stop light will help for now, but longer term I'd add more offramps on the highway onto those cross streets you have, see if you can get traffic to disperse a bit better.

Industrial zones produce a hilarious amount of traffic so you really need to design them in advance, I usually do well with loops of 1 way roads.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Always remember, you wanna let people off highways all along the way, otherwise you're pumping a highway's worth of traffic through a single normal street.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 9, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Have they spoken about how they want to deepen the sim? Because for me the only big issues are RCI balance due to offices, and crime being basically nonexistent. The lack of air pollution is more of a visual thing. And it would be cool if garbage piled up in places and perhaps neighborhoods could look rundown, but again, those are purely visual.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think I solved the traffic situation - short term at least.

I realised that I made a mistake in that the off-ramp didn't exit onto my main thoroughfare but on the street parallel to it. So I shifted it around a bit and placed the on-ramp further from the intersection. It's a bit unfortunate that I already had those incinerators there but until they become a problem I'm keeping them there.

This is what I came up with. Also making curved roads that look smooth and elegant is bloody impossible.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

double nine posted:

I think I solved the traffic situation - short term at least.

I realised that I made a mistake in that the off-ramp didn't exit onto my main thoroughfare but on the street parallel to it. So I shifted it around a bit and placed the on-ramp further from the intersection. It's a bit unfortunate that I already had those incinerators there but until they become a problem I'm keeping them there.

This is what I came up with. Also making curved roads that look smooth and elegant is bloody impossible.

My solution for smooth curves was the precision engineering mod. One easy is to make two sections of straight road at each end of where you want the curve, and use precision engineering to make sure that they each end at an equal distance from the point where they will intersect. Then you just draw a free-hand curve from end to end.

If you want the curve to continue into another curve, you can just delete the straight sections afterwards.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I watched a friend play SC4:RH yesterday and I realized something; that game had a freakish amount of visual detail, and it still looks really pretty 12 years down the road. I miss the small ploppables, dynamic street/avenue decoration and mostly lack of green space. I realize that's comparing a huge studio vs. 13 people, sprites vs. 3D, isometric vs 3D camera, and 2003 vs. 2015, but man do I miss it.

Still, im in this weird spot where I can never touch SC4 again because I love ~agents~.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mr sad posted:

Anybody have any idea what's causing this?

If this happens to anyone else, remove "-force opengl" from your advanced launch options.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Avocados posted:

I watched a friend play SC4:RH yesterday and I realized something; that game had a freakish amount of visual detail, and it still looks really pretty 12 years down the road. I miss the small ploppables, dynamic street/avenue decoration and mostly lack of green space. I realize that's comparing a huge studio vs. 13 people, sprites vs. 3D, isometric vs 3D camera, and 2003 vs. 2015, but man do I miss it.

Still, im in this weird spot where I can never touch SC4 again because I love ~agents~.

My sole reason for being unable to go back to SC4 is the lack of a free camera, since it is a 2D game. :( I just want to design the poo poo out of cities and then take pictures or look at them go from different angles. Skylines is pretty cool for this though there is plenty of room for improvement.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Avocados posted:

Art/art direction has never been Paradox's strong point, unfortunately. Even then, Skylines has arguably worse art assets than Cities in Motion 1.

Skylines has done a great job of showing that the city builder niche still exists, but I'm hoping we see a lot more city builders. There's room in the pool for quite a few games!

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Mandalay posted:

Art/art direction has never been Paradox's strong point, unfortunately. Even then, Skylines has arguably worse art assets than Cities in Motion 1.

Skylines has done a great job of showing that the city builder niche still exists, but I'm hoping we see a lot more city builders. There's room in the pool for quite a few games!

Paradox isn't the developer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mandalay posted:

Skylines can actually look pretty cool, sometimes.

http://gfycat.com/NiceEarnestArchaeopteryx

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would be happy with simple colored, flat-sided cubes of varying height that represent the building's zoning and level. Hell, knock them down to just 10 tris, 8 if you don't render the bottom. More CPU available to calculate traffic and pedestrian flow. Take your 5,000-tri monument and shove it up your rear end :black101:

TL;DR all those pretty graphics just detract from the core game and my wonderful traffic AI mods

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Avocados posted:

Yeah, I also find myself missing all of SC4's detail. I also preferred SC4's more contemporary building themes rather than Cities' futuristic stuff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Are we talking about SC4 plus Rush Hour as it came out of the box? Or SC4 as it exists in 2015 with ten years' worth of mods?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are we talking about SC4 plus Rush Hour as it came out of the box? Or SC4 as it exists in 2015 with ten years' worth of mods?

The visual detail and style people are talking about was there from day one. It was really pretty. The props system was great. In theory Skylines has a props system but it's nowhere near as fleshed out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 10, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah out of the box is pretty impressive. Some of the modded stuff is cool, but I never really liked adding visual stuff in because more often than not it was inconsistent with the rest of the game's art style (or it looked way better and thus looked weird).I think mods will pave the way in this game for better aesthetics, considering the devs are incredibly supportive of it.

I hope this game prints enough money to warrant expansions/sequels.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hadlock posted:

I would be happy with simple colored, flat-sided cubes of varying height that represent the building's zoning and level. Hell, knock them down to just 10 tris, 8 if you don't render the bottom. More CPU available to calculate traffic and pedestrian flow. Take your 5,000-tri monument and shove it up your rear end :black101:

TL;DR all those pretty graphics just detract from the core game and my wonderful traffic AI mods

At that point you may as well become a traffic engineer so you can run simulations on supercomputers all day! :v:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Avocados posted:

I hope this game prints enough money to warrant expansions/sequels.

I think sales over 1m~ units before the Steam Summer Sale, I believe, for a game they expected to maybe shift, I think it was 200k? over its entire lifetime.. yeah, I think they have more than enough enticing them to keep working on this title for a while, and being partnered with Paradox who encourage "DLC" type expansions, It's more than inevitable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

At that point you may as well become a traffic engineer so you can run simulations on supercomputers all day! :v:

Plz post screenshots, thanks in advance.

I would love to see a goon's city approximated on a super computer traffic simulator. Maybe get a journalist from Ars Technica out there on site? I would read the poo poo out of that article. "How close is Cities Skylines traffic to the real world? We setup a city with a traffic engineer and super computer to find out!".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think I ever played RH with building mods or any mod that wasn't NAM for that matter. The styles of the buildings out of the box were very nice for putting together a very realistic looking city. Skylines has some nice buildings, but it also has some weird looking stuff too, and combined with how easy it is to get carried away with offices, a given city can end up looking very unrealistic very easily, which was the opposite of how SC4 tended to work imo.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Well to be fair, fixed view 2D sprites are a lot easier and massively cheaper to pack heaps of detail into than 3D models.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Ever since this game came out I've been praying for a benchmark or performance review, but according to Google nobody has ever bothered. Is there an appreciable difference between an i5 and an i7 once you get over the 150k citizen range? I'm looking to upgrade my aging 2.5Ghz i3 and want to know if the extra money is worth it in C:S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

More and more games are multithread aware and in fact quad core is generally the minimum recommended spec for most AAA going forward. i5 is generally a good choice in general, and if you can afford it (going against the advice of the pc part picking megathread) the i7 generally buys you an additional 1.5 generations worth of power over the comparable i5 which allows you to future-proof a bit.

Cities Skylines will use as many cores as you can throw at it, all that pathing for the (up to) 40,000 cars eats up a ton of CPU. Here, a city of 12,000 is burning up 33% of all possible CPU resources, spread over 12 cores ("cpus").

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 11, 2015