Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xcore posted:

I actually said i would pay if there wasn't a free one that did it. I just wanted a recommendation.

Edit: And apologies for venting my frustration. I shouldn't said that expecting it not to be received as whiny threadshitting.

Got a Mac? Buy Waltr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Last pass got hacked a month ago. Individual passwords weren't compromised but plenty of account based info was.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

baram. posted:

Last pass got hacked a month ago. Individual passwords weren't compromised but plenty of account based info was.

Also it's a subscription service and your access to every account you own depends on their service being up and running and the company being in business.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

baram. posted:

Krebs has a post about this and an explanation of what exactly was compromised.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

Also it's a subscription service and your access to every account you own depends on their service being up and running and the company being in business.

Well all the other ones rely on a dropbox account which comes with the same issues, that's kind of the gotcha with anything on the internet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

xzzy posted:

Well all the other ones rely on a dropbox account which comes with the same issues, that's kind of the gotcha with anything on the internet.

You don't need a Dropbox at all for 1PW

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I think I may have found a contender for best weather app: the new Star Wars app

Feels like Endor! :haw:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

Dropbox has been consistently great for the past 5 years or so, and I have no problem trusting them to store my poo poo. If they were ever hacked, it would be a massive deal with millions of effected people way more important than me.

Re: Calendar chat - this is one area where there are really a bunch of great options. I use Sunrise because I like its design, but Fantastical is also a great app, and the stock calendar app works fine as well.

Now, if only Apple would replace the stupid texture on notes to go along with making it useful in iOS9...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maduin posted:

Dropbox has been consistently great for the past 5 years or so, and I have no problem trusting them to store my poo poo. If they were ever hacked, it would be a massive deal with millions of effected people way more important than me.
Dropbox has been hacked. Multiple times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

You don't need a Dropbox at all for 1PW

If you want 1PW to sync your db to anything other than a iOS/OSX system you need Dropbox.

Unless you want to spin up your own cross platform file syncing solution.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

xzzy posted:

If you want 1PW to sync your db to anything other than a iOS/OSX system you need Dropbox.

I'm pretty sure you can do mobile to Windows or even OS X.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Dropbox has been hacked. Multiple times.

There was a big thing a year or so ago that was just people reusing passwords from other places that were hacked and there was another thing a few years before where one of the employees had his password stolen and a bunch of emails were taken from a document or something, but that's like saying iCloud got hacked in that whole celebrity nudes leak last year.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

xzzy posted:

There's a WiFi sync option, iCloud isn't needed (if that's what you meant by ios/osx).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I think I may have found a contender for best weather app: the new Star Wars app

Feels like Endor! :haw:

Hell yes. Thanks.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

xzzy posted:

Man, apparently the syncing I do has just been one big lie.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

That seems like a pretty limited solution. How do you use 1password with multiple desktops or a desktop and a laptop?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think there's a real benefit to the cloud based service of LP and you can read up on the crazy cryptographic mojo they go through if you're concerned about hacking. I'm not sure if Dropbox goes through that much effort in their encryption because they're not explicitly a security company.

I am sure that I don't really care though. Both are good services, the payment models and access schemes are different and fit different use case niches.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Except you’re entirely reliant on their service existing in perpetuity. If Dropbox were to disappear tomorrow 1PW users could easily find a different solution.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Except you’re entirely reliant on their service existing in perpetuity. If Dropbox were to disappear tomorrow 1PW users could easily find a different solution.

So could LastPass users. It's pretty unlikely they'll just completely disappear without warning.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

So could LastPass users. It's pretty unlikely they'll just completely disappear without warning.
But it would be a quicker fix. With 1P, you'd pretty much just need to go to settings and replace the "Dropbox" checkmark with "iCloud" or whatever. LastPass would be a bit more awkward. Although if both are going to last in perpetuity, it'd be cheaper in the long-run to make the one-off purchase.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I love LastPass. I like turtles. Their platform is solid and it's almost a certainty (unless they are an absolute failure) that they have a business continuity plan if something drastic were to ever happen. Sure they don't have the userbase of Dropbox but it's still an important and well-thought-out system.

Sucks about the hack, but they didn't even get hashed/salted passes right? gently caress 'em.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "no," but it's worth a shot. I recently switched to Google Photos for my online backup needs, and I'm a big fan of it now. But many of my photos exist on Facebook, from before when I switched to an iPhone. Is there some way I can get photos directly from Facebook to Google Photos, beyond downloading them all to my PC and reuploading them all to Google Photos?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't like/trust Dropbox, but I use it with my 1PW database. I use a cryptic account password that I had 1PW make up, only use it for my 1PW file, and I trust 1PW's encryption on top of that. It's a reasonable amount of security.

It has to be done this way instead of just using iCloud because I'm still using Android for tablets at the moment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

It has to be done this way instead of just using iCloud because I'm still using Android for tablets at the moment.

You can only use iCloud sync on OS X if you purchase 1Password through the Mac App Store.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Question Mark Mound posted:

But it would be a quicker fix. With 1P, you'd pretty much just need to go to settings and replace the "Dropbox" checkmark with "iCloud" or whatever. LastPass would be a bit more awkward. Although if both are going to last in perpetuity, it'd be cheaper in the long-run to make the one-off purchase.

Unless LastPass explodes in 1 day, it's just as fast to find a fix. It's also easier to pay $12\year than $40$50 one time for me right now. It's also more difficult for me to recommend since there's an upfront cost.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I paid up-front for the iOS app (which then went free like a WEEK later). The Windows app seems to work just fine without paying, it just shows a little nagging screen on launch but then is pretty functional after that. The unpaid one only lets you add so many passwords, but if you add them via the iOS app then you can keep adding as many as you like. I think my one-time iOS fee was $5 or something like that?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone know any good password managers?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

1LastDash

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Lastpass works well for me.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
In the past I've made a custom route (not multi-destination, just modifying the default route slightly) for biking by using Google Maps on my desktop and then sending the route URL to my iPhone via email. When I clicked the link in Gmail it would open up Chrome briefly, and then immediately open up the Google Maps app, which would show my custom route as the available route for selection. It was fantastic. Turn-by-turn, the whole bit.

Sadly now, possibly thanks to the latest update to Chrome and/or Google Maps, it behaves differently. Firstly, it asks you if you want to move over to the Google Maps app instead of just doing it, which is fine. But then when I do follow on over to the app, the route I've created is not one of the available routes for selection. It's just as if I searched the two locations. Clearly it's not passing my custom route from Chrome, just the originating location and destination location. Why!

I've tried using the Maps History option in the Google Maps app, and this works sometimes, but other times the route is a Frankenstein route - that is to say it contains some of the elements of my custom route, but not entirely...not even close, really.

Anyone have any suggestions? Apparently if I had a Mac I could make a custom route using the Maps app and then share it with my phone.

edit: I should say that my current predicament is not a complete disaster - I am able to see my custom route using the mobile Google Maps website in Chrome, but there's no navigation, and it doesn't even follow my location when I move, so to navigate I have to keep hitting the location button.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 12, 2015

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I paid up-front for the iOS app (which then went free like a WEEK later). The Windows app seems to work just fine without paying, it just shows a little nagging screen on launch but then is pretty functional after that. The unpaid one only lets you add so many passwords, but if you add them via the iOS app then you can keep adding as many as you like. I think my one-time iOS fee was $5 or something like that?

I like the ability to just log in to Chrome on a PC and have access to my password manager. 1pass won't work without installing an app on any pc I want to use it on.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does Google Photos sync TO the local library? I want to add a photo via the web, then have it appear in my normal Photos app, but there doesn't seem to be an option for this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think only iTunes and iCloud can sync to your Photos app on the phone.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think only iTunes and iCloud can sync to your Photos app on the phone.

Dropbox/carousel works like this. Drag into Dropbox, it shows up in carousel and then I think into photos automatically.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think you're wrong. Carousel doesn't do that for me, thankfully, and it seems like that's kind of opposite the point of Carousel. It bills itself as an app to help you free up storage on your device by backing up photos to the cloud (and even features an option to "Free up iPhone space" in the app). If it created duplicate copies of every DSLR shot that I had stuck up on Carousel in my local Photos library on my phone, I'd be out of space quick.

I'm pretty sure it's technically feasible for an app with access to Photos to save things there, so the kind of app EC is describing isn't impossible, but may not actually exist since most of these services exist to just put photos up in the cloud, not push them out to devices.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok. I've done it to get photos onto my phone but sure.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You can definitely manually save them to your Photos but it's not an automatic process.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

POCKET CHOMP posted:

You can definitely manually save them to your Photos but it's not an automatic process.

I'm pretty sure the dude can do what he wants to do with carousel. Maybe he's not explaining what he wants to do.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'll have a look at it, but it doesn't really come up that often. I just figured I was missing something obvious with Google Photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

BigFactory posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude can do what he wants to do with carousel. Maybe he's not explaining what he wants to do.

No doubt, there are a zillion ways to get photos onto your phone if you're willing to save them manually, but since he said "sync TO the local library" and you said carousel puts things "into photos automatically" I was just pointing out that it does neither of those things. /sperg