Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Denim Dude posted:

I don't know man, I don't have archives but I did a google search for "effectronica gamergate" and http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663824&userid=176390

9 pages of posts. not too shabby.

How many pages do I have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Obdicut posted:

If you say "I was going to call you a retard, but then I didn't 'cuz of rules", it does actually equate to calling me a retard, just in a really wimpy and pathetic way.

No man. That's My way of telling you that you were right. You said I wouldn't get in trouble for just chat posting and I didn't believe you so I was going to call you the bad R word. Then I looked at the rules and didn't see that mentioned I posted that you were correct. Yeah I was going to call you a retard at first though my bad.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
So S4T has just switched to a hardcore anti-Gamergater and posted this video in an effort to get on the SPJ panel debate. How funny it will be if they let him on and he winds up taking up half the debate time representing the entire antiGG side.

https://youtu.be/5bxI_03FShQ

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 10, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One interesting thing that I've noticed is that people talk about how "trolls" who have no ideological association with the hashtag are the cause of 99.99% of the harassment, and that this is inevitable. And then these same people disclaim any ideological association with the hashtag. Curious indeed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

One interesting thing that I've noticed is that people talk about how "trolls" who have no ideological association with the hashtag are the cause of 99.99% of the harassment, and that this is inevitable. And then these same people disclaim any ideological association with the hashtag. Curious indeed.

They also tend to say that death threats are a normal and natural part of the internet.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Denim Dude posted:

No man. That's My way of telling you that you were right. You said I wouldn't get in trouble for just chat posting and I didn't believe you so I was going to call you the bad R word. Then I looked at the rules and didn't see that mentioned I posted that you were correct. Yeah I was going to call you a retard at first though my bad.

Okay. I'm sure in time you'll come to terms with the fact that this thread is here in this forum and learn to accept it as a part of life, and that you can still dance, sing, and laugh.

I said you wouldn't get in trouble, it seems to me, for saying that some public figure's father was somebody, instead of just broadly hinting at it. I don't know what you mean by 'chat posting'.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

Okay, great.

I think you're pretty accurate about GG, except that it's also about being reactionaries who don't like that the world is changing, and it's in total a pretty sad picture.

Some are, some aren't. Depends on which you point at (hello Discount Kane and Fake John Romero).

Effectronica posted:

Not what I'm asking. Why were you going back and forth on this instead of setting out a clear statement and sticking with it from the beginning? Because you want things to be the way they were in the past, and nothing to change?

If you're talking about the Old Hellthread, I'm ambivalent. It was funny, sure but it was actually getting slower than this one unless Trezzor came in and started posting and then it would be crazy. If you aren't talking about old hellthread then I have no idea.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

a bay posted:

How many pages do I have

4 pages. Thats a pretty good page to riling people up ratio. Nice one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dapper Dan posted:

Some are, some aren't. Depends on which you point at (hello Discount Kane and Fake John Romero).

If you're talking about the Old Hellthread, I'm ambivalent. It was funny, sure but it was actually getting slower than this one unless Trezzor came in and started posting and then it would be crazy. If you aren't talking about old hellthread then I have no idea.

Still not what I'm asking. I'm asking why you shifted between graphics being unimportant and important depending on what I was saying at the time. I used an unflattering rephrasing of a thing you said in the post I was responding to as an example of a "why" you could use.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Obdicut posted:

I don't know what you mean by 'chat posting'.

Shootin the breeze brother.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Effectronica posted:

Still not what I'm asking. I'm asking why you shifted between graphics being unimportant and important depending on what I was saying at the time. I used an unflattering rephrasing of a thing you said in the post I was responding to as an example of a "why" you could use.

Because I thought about it more and saying graphics were completely unimportant to the quality of the game was wrong? It wasn't anything malicious.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 10, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So while I'm caught up with the thread I have some questions for anti-GG supporters.

First, does your side have any leaders? I've been told Anita, Brianna and Zoe are those, but there are some here who think they are not. I've also been told that leaders are what help make anti-GG stand out against pro-GG, who do not have leaders.

Second, have any of your leaders (or anyone even remotely notable from the anti-GG side) publicly denounced the May 3rd bomb threat against the pro-GG meet up in Washington D.C.?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Denim Dude posted:

Shootin the breeze brother.

Okay, yeah, that's not allowed in this thread and you'll get probated for it. Read the OP. Also it's super-boring.

There does seem to be this repeated theme of people who were really happy when this was only being talked about in a slapfighty way being really pissed off that it got moved here. It's weird.

Freakazoid_ posted:

So while I'm caught up with the thread I have some questions for anti-GG supporters.

First, does your side have any leaders? I've been told Anita, Brianna and Zoe are those, but there are some here who think they are not. I've also been told that leaders are what help make anti-GG stand out against pro-GG, who do not have leaders.

Second, have any of your leaders (or anyone even remotely notable from the anti-GG side) publicly denounced the May 3rd bomb threat against the pro-GG meet up in Washington D.C.?

Why would I need a leader to say that GG is incoherent and makes no sense?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Freakazoid_ posted:

You don't need a leader to oppose online harassment of non-journalists done in the name of ethics in games journalism.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sinnlos posted:

You don't need a leader to oppose online harassment of non-journalists done in the name of ethics in games journalism.

Yep. There's not so much agg as people who are anti-gg.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread has done a great job of solidifying my lack of interest about any of the concerns expressed by GamerGate supporters. You can certainly express disdain, concern, and advocate for better "ethics in games journalism" but 99% of what GamerGate does or focuses on isn't even related to that.

If their members actually wanted to promote better ethical practices in journalism, they'd abandon the hashtag and twitter bullshit and actually do non-harassment related work to advocate for that sort of thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's really no such thing as anti-GG. I personally don't like Gamergate, and I don't need a leader to tell me why, I witnessed it personally.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

This thread has done a great job of solidifying my lack of interest about any of the concerns expressed by GamerGate supporters. You can certainly express disdain, concern, and advocate for better "ethics in games journalism" but 99% of what GamerGate does or focuses on isn't even related to that.

If their members actually wanted to promote better ethical practices in journalism, they'd abandon the hashtag and twitter bullshit and actually do non-harassment related work to advocate for that sort of thing.

I have a lot to say about how much I don't care about Gamer gate.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think what distinguishes GamerGate from Anti-GamerGate is that GamerGate was started by a co-ordinated harassment campaign on a woman for no real reason and evolved into even more harassment campaigns against even more women and Anti-GamerGate didn't. Among other things.

I think if you were looking for a pretty definitive and concise explanation in how they differ you're probably not going to get a better answer than that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The real problem with rev60 isn't the grotesque looking people in it. It's that the game is insanely tedious and boring to play and the dialogue is full of overdone cliches and lines that would make Ed Wood cringe. Not to mention the story is nigh incomprehensible. But there are multiple endings unlike bioware games so thumbs up!

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If there is an "Anti-GamerGate", rather than an attempt to make this into a war between two "sides", then I still would feel they're irrelevant to the GG thread.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Obdicut posted:

Okay, yeah, that's not allowed in this thread and you'll get probated for it. Read the OP. Also it's super-boring.

Well poo poo.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I've honestly never cared. Because in order to save something you have to give a poo poo about it in the first place. I have never, ever cared about gaming journalists except to laugh at them. The thing that GG should be focusing on is the obvious one: murder the ever-living poo poo out of Metacritic. Force publishers to take money out of review scores so if a reviewer at 'Polygon' got PTSD from playing 'Tropico 5' and gave it a 4, it won't matter. The journalists can say whatever stupid poo poo they want and some poor studio isn't going to be denied a bonus because it didn't make an 85 or whatever. That's the real thing that's stifling creativity, the focus of money and review scores so people will only take the safe option to get a good score instead of taking a risk. But that poo poo is hard and it requires organization and focus.

So they shout about disclaimers, because everybody reads those and you can never, ever bury something inside a disclaimer.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Dapper Dan posted:

I've honestly never cared. Because in order to save something you have to give a poo poo about it in the first place. I have never, ever cared about gaming journalists except to laugh at them. The thing that GG should be focusing on is the obvious one: murder the ever-living poo poo out of Metacritic. Force publishers to take money out of review scores so if a reviewer at 'Polygon' got PTSD from playing 'Tropico 5' and gave it a 4, it won't matter. The journalists can say whatever stupid poo poo they want and some poor studio isn't going to be denied a bonus because it didn't make an 85 or whatever. That's the real thing that's stifling creativity, the focus of money and review scores so people will only take the safe option to get a good score instead of taking a risk. But that poo poo is hard and it requires organization and focus.

So they shout about disclaimers, because everybody reads those and you can never, ever bury something inside a disclaimer.

I really don't think the gaming public gives much of a poo poo about the critic scores on metacritic, but otherwise, sure. How do they do this murder? I don't think it's so much 'hard' as
'not really possible'.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Two ways I can think of immediately:

Petition sites to stop submitting their reviews to Metacritic, or assuming this isn't possible (i.e. Metacritic does it of its own accord) then figure out a way for those sites to block their reviews from appearing on the site.

If this fails, just petition sites to scrap numerical scores altogether.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

I really don't think the gaming public gives much of a poo poo about the critic scores on metacritic, but otherwise, sure. How do they do this murder? I don't think it's so much 'hard' as
'not really possible'.

Get review sites to abandon scores, stars and any rating altogether which makes it that much more of a pain in the rear end to aggregate a number.

EDIT:
And beaten!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Obdicut posted:

Why would I need a leader to say that GG is incoherent and makes no sense?

Because I was under the impression anti-GG had leaders early on, but now several of you are saying there aren't and that's kind of odd. Did something change since then? It was once a point that anti-GG could be taken seriously because of those leaders, and pro-GG could never be taken seriously because they are leaderless.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Dapper Dan posted:

Get review sites to abandon scores, stars and any rating altogether which makes it that much more of a pain in the rear end to aggregate a number.

EDIT:
And beaten!

Yes, I'm am asking 'how'. People want review scores. They like having them to disagree with.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Because I was under the impression anti-GG had leaders early on, but now several of you are saying there aren't and that's kind of odd. Did something change since then? It was once a point that anti-GG could be taken seriously because of those leaders, and pro-GG could never be taken seriously because they are leaderless.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm sorry. I think GG is idiotic. I didn't come to this conclusion because of what anyone else said, but because of what GG has said and what they've stated their goals are and what they've done.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Freakazoid_ posted:

Because I was under the impression anti-GG had leaders, but now several of you are saying there aren't and that's kind of odd. Did something change since then? It was once a point that anti-GG could be taken seriously because of those leaders, and pro-GG could never be taken seriously because they are leaderless.

You seem to misunderstand. GamerGate can't be taken seriously because in lieu of coherence, achievable goals, or any sort of policy that might seem to contribute to the cause they've facetiously claimed to represent, they instead have a frothing mass of rage that is entirely focused on what it perceives to be the leaders of the opposite side, that is to say women with opinions (or just women in general)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Its not so much "Leaders", as we all want to see the Gaming Industry change. Once upon a time, we all banded against GamerGate, but now we've mostly moved on to talking diversity in media.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

Yes, I'm am asking 'how'. People want review scores. They like having them to disagree with.

I don't think anybody cares and MetaCritic would probably switch over to a Rotten Tomatoes style system. Which is still better than what it is now when it is trying to make sense of all the numbers and metrics a site uses. And some sites are already switching to no numbers on their reviews.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ddraig posted:

You seem to misunderstand. GamerGate can't be taken seriously because in lieu of coherence, achievable goals, or any sort of policy that might seem to contribute to the cause they've facetiously claimed to represent, they instead have a frothing mass of rage that is entirely focused on what it perceives to be the leaders of the opposite side, that is to say women with opinions (or just women in general)

So then how does anyone on the anti-GG side expect to counter their movement? Are they going to for the same leaderless approach as pro-GG tries to do?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Dapper Dan posted:

I don't think anybody cares and MetaCritic would probably switch over to a Rotten Tomatoes style system. Which is still better than what it is now when it is trying to make sense of all the numbers and metrics a site uses. And some sites are already switching to no numbers on their reviews.

Okay, again I'm asking 'How'? Like, how would they make them do this?

In the past, some sites have gone no-scores, and eventually put up scores. I think that probably there will be some places doing no-scores, and have been, but in general there will be plenty of places doing scores, unless you can describe some mechanism whereby that change could be forced, which doesn't seem likely to me.

Freakazoid_ posted:

So then how does anyone on the anti-GG side expect to counter their movement? Are they going to for the same leaderless approach as pro-GG tries to do?

The movement doesn't really need to be countered, since it has no achievable goals, no coherence, and is mostly just people upset that the world is changing. They'll kick up a fuss and whine about poo poo for awhile, but nothing has to be done to actually 'counter' them, their movement doesn't have a hope of doing anything long-term.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Most of the "leaders" were just the people who got the most death threats on twitter and didn't deactivate, but instead stuck around long enough to get interviewed by actual journalists about harassment.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Video games with sexy babes with big hooters: good or bad?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

a bay posted:

i thought they were bad because of the objectification of women, but then notable-person Liana K got mad at those pesky sex-negative feminists for conspiring to make people think that big boobs are not sexy (because that would decrease her youtube ad revenue???) and now i'm really confused!!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

a bay posted:

Metal Gear Solid V isn't out yet.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Slanderer posted:

i thought they were bad because of the objectification of women, but then notable-person Liana K got mad at those pesky sex-negative feminists for conspiring to make people think that big boobs are not sexy (because that would decrease her youtube ad revenue???) and now i'm really confused!!!

Can someone explain to me what her deal is? I feel like I missed something because suddenly one day she's flipping poo poo at people attacking gamergate yet condemning harassment after having zero involvement in the whole matter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dapper Dan posted:

EDIT:
And beaten!
This has actually been happening with a lot of major game blogs; many are generally switching to a "What I like, what I don't like, is it worth buying" summary right at the end of reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Slanderer posted:

Maybe gamergate is just a giant conspiracy to bring back Ed the Sock.

• Locked thread