Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Judge Tesla posted:

Yeah I got the heck out of the underground tunnels once I blew up Carlito's dumb van and got the bombs out, that was a horrible part of the game..

What, you never went back down there in a future playthrough to get thousands of zombie kills for the Mega Buster? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

King Vidiot posted:

What, you never went back down there in a future playthrough to get thousands of zombie kills for the Mega Buster? :v:

Only once, I spent over 2 hours driving around in circles killing Zombies, naturally my van would blow up in the deepest part so I'd have to do a death run to get out and respawn it back.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Judge Tesla posted:

Only once, I spent over 2 hours driving around in circles killing Zombies, naturally my van would blow up in the deepest part so I'd have to do a death run to get out and respawn it back.

Funny, I would just drive the one car in the parking lot outside to the truck and then back. Worked quicker for me! Also, ask me about playing the original but only owning Chop Till You Drop, which among other things removed the time limit but made almost every survivor mandatory.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

King Vidiot posted:

Oh my god. I spent most of a day (real world day) just driving that loop. I wanted the Mega Buster before I beat the game.
I could have found such better uses of my time...

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Fifty Three Thousand Five Hundred Ninety Four

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The only two achievements I'm missing in the original Dead Rising are the survivor achievements. I keep telling my self that I'm going to go and do 7-day survivor one of these days.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Seven day Survivor would be doable if you could save. But 14 hours in real time, constantly refilling a draining health bar in one go? Yeah, nope.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Seven day Survivor would be doable if you could save. But 14 hours in real time, constantly refilling a draining health bar in one go? Yeah, nope.

Reminder, Dead Rising 1 was released close to if not at launch of the Xbox 360 and the Red Ring of Death was rampant then, many an Xbox probably died trying to do this achievement, and my best was 5 days, to push 7 you needed to be super ultra conservative with food supplies and zombie attacks.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Judge Tesla posted:

Reminder, Dead Rising 1 was released close to if not at launch of the Xbox 360 and the Red Ring of Death was rampant then, many an Xbox probably died trying to do this achievement, and my best was 5 days, to push 7 you needed to be super ultra conservative with food supplies and zombie attacks.

So, the achievement was as much for your machine as it was for you, the player?

I didn't have one of those first-run 360's but I can only imagine how disappointed some engineer was that his idea to use cheap solder to shave off the cost didn't pan out.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Speaking of Dead Rising 1, which is the only one i've played, I have a super spoilery question.

are the people with the neck tats like Nick the original 50 time bomb kids that Carlito sent out for his evil plan?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I know the answer but shall respond in tags, don't read if you care about the plot. :v:

Yes, Nick and another person are some of the original 50 orphans

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, that's been super obvious from the start. I do sorta like them running with it though.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 27 - I Want To Believe [YouTube]

I know I've said it before, but it constantly amazes me the type of people who manage to survive in this type of situation.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

At 15 minutes when the muscle car should have made the jump, I think it helps to not hit a pile of rubble instead of landing on the ramp. The pride psycho was weird as hell though.

And am I just noticing it, but is Nick wiping his forehead like he's sick or has a fever now? It only seems to happen when you slow down or stop for a minute.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Funfact about Dwayne riding shotgun, the term actually comes from the Wild West days when people travelling by stagecoach would have one of the passengers ride outside next to the driver as lookout, usually armed with a shotgun. Ever since then taking the front seat next to the driver of a vehicle has been "riding shotgun".

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

seaborgium posted:

And am I just noticing it, but is Nick wiping his forehead like he's sick or has a fever now? It only seems to happen when you slow down or stop for a minute.

I think he's been doing it the whole time. He wipes his head after you have been sprinting a while, like he's sweating.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
That coop talk reminds me of cooping in dying light, where trying to hit each other with with grenades is a constant.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 27 - I Want To Believe [YouTube]

I know I've said it before, but it constantly amazes me the type of people who manage to survive in this type of situation.

Man, Nick felt really out-of-character in those boss cutscenes.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Wheany posted:

He was channeling Frank West who would have acted exactly like that, Frank was an rear end in a top hat during DR1 and Off the Record.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's why Frank is The Best :colbert:

e: Specifically because while he saves all these people because they don't deserve to die, he treats their idiocy with the barely concealed indulgence it does.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Haerc posted:

I think he's been doing it the whole time. He wipes his head after you have been sprinting a while, like he's sweating.

Yeah it's just a random idle animation. Sometimes he stretches instead and sometimes he looks at his feet as if checking to make sure they are still there.

Wheany posted:

I think the intro cutscene was fine, Nick is still all socially awkward and "oh no, I don't want to fight." It's the post-fight cutscene where he does the whole smirk and pose thing that's weird. Actually now that I think about it, it's the first Psycho who really hasn't done anything wrong. Every other Psycho had been murdering or raping(?) people, and Jherri was just upset because Nick offended her. Man, that feels even worse now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How Nick acts during regular gameplay and cutscenes is already hilariously at odds so it didn't really bother me.

Cutscene Nick: "Oh no I have to hide so those soldiers don't kill me, oh no they have the president but I can't do anything because they have guns. Oh no she's dead. :ohdear:"

Gameplay Nick: "gently caress yeah, IT'S GO TIME" :black101: *effortlessly murders a dozen heavily armed men and a hundred zombies*

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
So, zombies are fine, but little grey aliens are crazy? You just can't see the truth, man!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Actually now that I think about it, it's the first Psycho who really hasn't done anything wrong. Every other Psycho had been murdering or raping(?) people, and Jherri was just upset because Nick offended her. Man, that feels even worse now.

Yeah that too, the second "sir" felt really out of place and inappropriate.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Actually now that I think about it, it's the first Psycho who really hasn't done anything wrong. Every other Psycho had been murdering or raping(?) people, and Jherri was just upset because Nick offended her. Man, that feels even worse now.

I thought Jherri attacks Nick because she thought he was going to beat her in Miss Gigantic California, not because he called her 'sir.'

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
They're called Psychos for a reason. Most of the psychos we've seen in the games are people who just flat-out can't deal with the world ending around them, so they focus more intensely on whatever it is they were doing before. Like the meatpacker from the first game who became obsessed with finding fresh meat, which was limited to a few human survivors.

e: She was driven to rage not by wrong pronouns, but by Nick asking her to acknowledge the real situation and leave what she was doing.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, not seeing anything unfortunate about depicting a stereotypical female weightlifter as delusional and violent, then mis-gendering her.

Dead Rising 3, I thought you were better than this. At least have her get mad because he's hogging the squat rack or messing with her workout.

Also surviving disasters is mostly just a matter of luck and chance. People think they can prepare, but when earthquakes hit or volcanic eruptions, it turns out that preparing was more often than not just an illusion to make you feel safer.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kal-L posted:

So, zombies are fine, but little grey aliens are crazy? You just can't see the truth, man!

I Nick's defense, the zombies are right loving there. A whole city of them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea, not seeing anything unfortunate about depicting a stereotypical female weightlifter as delusional and violent, then mis-gendering her.

Dead Rising 3, I thought you were better than this. At least have her get mad because he's hogging the squat rack or messing with her workout.

Also surviving disasters is mostly just a matter of luck and chance. People think they can prepare, but when earthquakes hit or volcanic eruptions, it turns out that preparing was more often than not just an illusion to make you feel safer.

You... thought Dead Rising 3 was better than that? Really?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rotinaj posted:

what am a joke? how to are for why joke is made be formed?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
How is jokke formed?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just...Why? Why would anyone ever a joke?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
There can be no such thing as a parody character, you have hurt someones feelings and therefore

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

There can be no such thing as a parody character, you have hurt someones feelings and therefore

1v1 me, katanas only, Final Destination

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

She'd have died anyway when the city gets firebombed, at least she died doing what she loved, flexing a lot and throwing weights at skinny dudes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

rotinaj posted:

An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. The level of betrayal I felt when I watched this episode tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

ORRR I mean in the sense the joke was weak, not that they'd be respectful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe it was Dead Rising 1 that had the over-the-top cliche fat butch cop that kidnapped/sexually harassed a bunch of young women Frank had to rescue. This series is not known for its social sensitivity when it comes to the nutbars.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think calling them "Psychos" might have been the first clue

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I think the intro cutscene was fine, Nick is still all socially awkward and "oh no, I don't want to fight." It's the post-fight cutscene where he does the whole smirk and pose thing that's weird. Actually now that I think about it, it's the first Psycho who really hasn't done anything wrong. Every other Psycho had been murdering or raping(?) people, and Jherri was just upset because Nick offended her. Man, that feels even worse now.

If you look around Jerii's place, there are several corpses with their heads stoved in with dumbells. Jerii has probably killed every survivor who stumbled on her and either asked her for help, or tried to talk her out of staying,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It fits Nick's character though - he's a bit naive, a little awakard and prone to bumbling. He seems like the kinda of guy who would make a mistake that would escalate quickly due to a misunderstanding.

Frank always seemed really horrifed by the bosses, which I liked, since it made him seem more like an everyman in a crazy situtation - the one with the Vietnam veteren with PTSD is actually pretty :smith:. His burned out, smugger personality in OTR was funny, but he was harder to empathise with. Chuck was just on a misson and was very very serious. Though his :smug: one liners after boss battles were great.

• Locked thread