Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

uranus posted:

this is correct but play people, not ai

If you don't have time to play people, then basic problems (e.g. Graded Go Problems for Beginners vol. 1 then 2) are not terrible once you have some of the real basics down. Coupled with regular play, GGPv2 is great for pushing towards 10-12k once you have the basic tactics handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

o.m. 94 posted:

whoever brought me this avatar, i haven't even been trolling recently so i don't know what i did to deserve it

but it is true that like Eio i don't give much care to the opening

that's a great avatar. you must be proud, admit it

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, those two games last night have put IWTG into such better context, especially since half the demonstrated scenarios they play out in the early 19x19 board lessons are showing the results of mistakes I made and the more effective ways to respond :v:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Go is the process of discovering new mistakes you try (and typically fail) to avoid making in the future.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Pander posted:

Go is the process of discovering new mistakes you try (and typically fail) to avoid making in the future.

much like life

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Xom's guide for newbies

TL;DR:
The road to 20 kyū
  1. The Interactive Way to Go
  2. Make sure you understand eyes, false eyes, and Japanese scoring.
  3. Killing Shapes and Beginner's Mistakes
Then you can get to 10 kyū mostly by internalizing shape instincts.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Chinese scoring is infinitely better because eyes in seki count for score and you don't have to deal with that hypothetical play bullshit when it comes to a bent 4 in the corner. :colbert:

I think it's more intuitive than Japanese scoring too.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It's a matter of pragmatism. Almost all online Go is Japanese scoring.

EDIT: Also, Japanese scoring removes strategy involving ko fights over dame, which I don't miss at all.

Xom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 8, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
anyone who wants to add me on skype or gchat to TALK ABOUT GO be my guest:

lets be go friends

gchat: thrdeyeopen@gmail.com

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
To clarify, when I say "understand Japanese scoring", I mean understanding that playing a teire, or a throw-in, or a dead stone has the same effect on the score in either system*, that it's basically the same as the Chinese scoring that you call intuitive, that there's nothing really strange and different, that it all adds up to normal.

What I don't mean is understanding the corner cases where they differ; you can get to 10 kyuu without worrying about that.

*The average effect is the same; something that changes the score by 1 in Japanese scoring changes the score by 0 or 2 in Chinese scoring, depending whether an even or odd number of dame are left.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I was careless and nearly lost my corner in ko…

Fortunately my opponent only had 7 significant ko threats, so their only compensation for the ko was 3 ₧ in the lower right. I won by ˝ ₧. :kheldragar:

Xom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone want to play on OGS, I'm literally just starting and mostly have no idea what I'm doing terrible. Thinking a 9x9?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

It's a matter of pragmatism. Almost all online Go is Japanese scoring.

EDIT: Also, Japanese scoring removes strategy involving ko fights over dame, which I don't miss at all.

But at least my ogs and kgs custom games can be scored in Chinese! :argh:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Anyone want to play on OGS, I'm literally just starting and mostly have no idea what I'm doing terrible. Thinking a 9x9?

challenge me to a correspondence game (oiseaux) and we can do some teaching games. 9x9 is always a good start

YagerX
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the helpful links!

OK So I've played a few games, would anyone care to review this game?
https://online-go.com/game/2382941

Also, how do I go about adding you goons?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I've invited you to the SA group

As for the game, there's not really much to review that would be useful at this stage, as you guys made so many fundamental mistakes. But your opening was good, taking corner and side points. Then the game descended into a mess around Move 45 where you played the empty triangle (http://senseis.xmp.net/?EmptyTriangles) and tried to kill groups that could not be killed.

The best way to improve at this point is to keep playing games! But also start doing Life and Death problems. If you do at least 10 problems a day you'll see yourself getting better every single day at this point.

http://tsumego.tasuki.org/

The elementary collection will probably be really difficult but stick at it! Because it will give you fast results!

YagerX
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks! The feedback is really helpful! There are a few things I find I really struggle in games that if like to read up on but not sure what it's called.
The first is what to do after 'engagements' start. I get that I should aim to join up groups and make living shapes but I'm not sure how to start! I've read up on joseki but they're not very helpful at this stage as other players don't really follow them and I don't know how to exploit that haha.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

YagerX posted:

Thanks! The feedback is really helpful! There are a few things I find I really struggle in games that if like to read up on but not sure what it's called.
The first is what to do after 'engagements' start. I get that I should aim to join up groups and make living shapes but I'm not sure how to start! I've read up on joseki but they're not very helpful at this stage as other players don't really follow them and I don't know how to exploit that haha.

The middle game is hard, particularly because tactics and strategy start to interplay in complicated ways. The classic reference for this is Attack and Defense, but just watching lots of games of somewhat stronger players and playing more will help, too.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Apologies to everyone who is playing me in the tournament. I really don't have time to concentrate on a serious game these days, so I'm playing like crap and almost certainly going to end up resigning all my games.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Borachon posted:

The middle game is hard, particularly because tactics and strategy start to interplay in complicated ways. The classic reference for this is Attack and Defense, but just watching lots of games of somewhat stronger players and playing more will help, too.

I've read the entirety of attack and defence 5+ times and no, I still don't get anything.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

xopods posted:

Apologies to everyone who is playing me in the tournament. I really don't have time to concentrate on a serious game these days, so I'm playing like crap and almost certainly going to end up resigning all my games.

i miss your lessons xopods :'(

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xopods taught me about a leaning attack and how it is OK to attach to strong stones and make them stronger.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just ordered Tesuji and Lessons in the fundementals of Go

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i will get to sdk dammit! *shakes fist at self*

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will get to 20K *shakes fist at self*

I played a 9 stone rushed game on my lunch break today and got absolutely slaughtered by a 13K player. I need to start reading up on early game Joseki and practice life or death problems, and probably start internalizing basic patterns that are inherent mistakes

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mederlock posted:

I played a 9 stone rushed game on my lunch break today and got absolutely slaughtered by a 13K player. I need to start reading up on early game Joseki and practice life or death problems, and probably start internalizing basic patterns that are inherent mistakes

i was just going to recommend you read 'the second book of go' but hot drat that thing has gotten expensive since i got it. is it a collectors item now or what

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Mederlock posted:

The Proverb is "lose your first 100 games as quickly as possible" for a reason. It just takes a number of beatings to get a better sense of what kinds of moves to consider when, and that, barring special circumstances, some moves just aren't worth considering.

uranus posted:

i just ordered Tesuji and Lessons in the fundementals of Go

They're both fabulous.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Where do you people go to play Go? Noone around me plays it so its a bit sad that I keep having to play on my own.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

AttackTheMoon posted:

Where do you people go to play Go? Noone around me plays it so its a bit sad that I keep having to play on my own.

If you mean in real life, I haven't. I've never seen a goban in person.

If you mean online, then I use OGS (online-go.com, a browser-based go server). Others use kgs (https://www.gokgs.com a java-based go server). Others still have preferred sites, often in Chinese or Korean.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

If you mean in real life, I haven't. I've never seen a goban in person.

If you mean online, then I use OGS (online-go.com, a browser-based go server). Others use kgs (https://www.gokgs.com a java-based go server). Others still have preferred sites, often in Chinese or Korean.

I'm in a lovely tier for matchmaking so I start looking for games on KGS and OGS simultaneously and cancel the search on the one that doesn't catch anything. IRL there's a club at the local university that I plan to check out this weekend

E: god drat this game is hard. The :spergin: inside me is very pleased for the challenge

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 10, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Mederlock posted:

In a 9 stone handicap game all you need to do is basically stay connected and you're golden since while white is busy trying to live the rest of the board will slowly turn impossible for him to live in. Actually, that's a good lesson for all go games. Stay connected. I remember one time I was playing a game and I thought, "Hey, I could connect now but he'll also connect and will live. But hey, if I allow myself to get cut I could kill him!"

I died. I resigned.

AttackTheMoon posted:

There's a go club that meets Saturdays about 40 minutes from my house. The last time I went was Christmas.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 10, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AdorableStar posted:

. Actually, that's a good lesson for all go games. Stay connected. I remember one time I was playing a game and I thought, "Hey, I could connect now but he'll also connect and will live. But hey, if I allow myself to get cut I could kill him!"

I died. I resigned.

This happens to me all the time, I'm starting to see what the other guy is doing to stay connected and cut me in half simultaneously.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Playing on OGS as Vortikai if someone could invite me to the group

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Invitation sent. I hate your username!!!

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

AttackTheMoon posted:

There are local clubs all over in the states ( http://www.usgo.org/where-play-go ), though many of them are small and may meet intermittently. If there's a club listed for you on that link, contact the person on it for more information. I do vastly prefer playing in real life compared to online.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I don't usually play on OGS but I might as well join you guys there anyway. Could I get an invite? My username is "Sent"

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
If any of y'all are Chicagoons, there's a club in Schaumburg, thursday nights, at a Starbucks. I used to go a lot, but stopped since it's a bit far away. I'd go again if there were goons though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Quad posted:

I'd go again if there were goons though.

That sounds horrifying.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I won my first game on OGS...only took like 20 maybe 30 tries :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Quad posted:

If any of y'all are Chicagoons, there's a club in Schaumburg, thursday nights, at a Starbucks. I used to go a lot, but stopped since it's a bit far away. I'd go again if there were goons though.

Yeah I'm southwest suburbs. I could try that out sometime. Saw the groups on the go association site but didn't know if they were active or just relics.