Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Amberskin posted:

Ouch. Time to reread the book.

I have a cat in my lap, so I can't go find the passage. but the author also mentions it in his "behind the scenes" blog post on the book:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/07/crib-sheet-saturns-children.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

it is weirder when god's plan is to give people submissive sex dolls until they die out

its ok though because he spares the people who have pet dogs. all other humans must die, but dog lovers survive

this is already happening in japan :tinfoil:

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

platero posted:

What series can people recommend with a similar world to that of these books? I really enjoy the "way after some sort of apocalypse, but now there is magic". For the records, I've read Vance's Dying Earth stuff, and the Wolfe Urth books.
Who Fears Death, by Nnedi Okorafor, is exactly mythic fantasy set in a barely recognizable Sudan. Not a series, but a solid single volume with imagery that will stick. Worth the read.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Finished KSR's Aurora tonight. It was great, of course. Interesting choices in POV and overall plot. He wields his trademark awe of environments in a slightly different way here - far more judiciously, but to great effect. His evolving stance on spaceflight/exploration/colonization is a (or the) central theme, and after this I'm not sure if there's much more to say. It's strange, since I like his space-themed novels very much, but if this was the last one he ever wrote it would make sense.

As a side note, I find his unabashed reuse of themes/ideas/places/characters/names/conversations to be interesting and unique among authors. Meditative. He doesn't change things for the sake of changing them, but he doesn't try to fit them together for the sake of, either. There's no shared universe, but they're not totally separate either. It gives his body of work more of a body. It lends to the sense that he's circling around some bedrock of truth, poking at it from different angles. I like it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

You can buy it, both for real and on ebook, in europe. Just not if you'reAmerican.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monday-Starts-Saturday-S-F-MASTERWORKS/dp/1473202213/ ??? amazon.de looks the same.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Kesper North posted:

I have a cat in my lap, so I can't go find the passage. but the author also mentions it in his "behind the scenes" blog post on the book:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/07/crib-sheet-saturns-children.html

Got it, thanks. And my memories of the book came back. I got the idea mankind just died of boredom, and didn't realize the sexbots had an important role about that; after all, sexbots where available just for the elites; on the other hand, in that kind of society where work was not necessary and there were no real challenges for a human being, probably most of the society qualified as elite.

I'll reread the book anyway. I probably missed more stuff along it. Right now, after going thru the complete Revelation Space books (I think the only one I've not read is "The Prefect") I'm reading the first book of the Laundry Files. 1/3 thru it, I'm enjoying the read. Lovecraft + Dilbert + 007 = blast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

If you have an american address or card you cannot buy it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm reading "Poseidon's Wake" finally (grr Gollancz) and to my suprise, I'm enjoying it a good deal more than the previous books in the series. It has a lot more of the cosmic-horror-creepy elements, and competing agendas that Reynolds does well.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Prince of Fools and The Liar's Key are very good. I really liked the Jorg books too though. They give me a Gene Wolfe Book of the New Sun vibe. The Wheel being the ruins of the LHC still causing all sorts of problems, and all the other technology and nukes running amok in a fantasy world, is just so cool in every way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sheri Tepper has written lots of books and won several awards. She is crazy, and you should read some of her books. The Companions, which ends with God destroying the human race by giving them really good sex toys, is especially bizarre.

This review needs linking again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, Dean Koontz is 70.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Sheri Tepper has written lots of books and won several awards. She is crazy, and you should read some of her books. The Companions, which ends with God destroying the human race by giving them really good sex toys, is especially bizarre.

At the weird hippy private school I went to the book The Gate to Women’s Country by Sheri S. Tepper was required reading in one of the English classes. It was a pretty interesting book (and doesn’t have any over-the-top fantastic elements,) but I remember it doing that uncomfortable thing some science fiction novels do where you can’t tell if it’s using eugenics as a theme or outright advocating eugenics.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 10, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really loving confused about that woman's philosophical standpoints. From that review and the posts here it's... eco-determinist catholic feminism?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kesper North posted:

I'm reading "Poseidon's Wake" finally (grr Gollancz) and to my suprise, I'm enjoying it a good deal more than the previous books in the series. It has a lot more of the cosmic-horror-creepy elements, and competing agendas that Reynolds does well.

I love the concept of a really advanced race collectively becoming nihilist due to the not being able to stop the heat death of the universe. "Whoa is me, the universe will end eventually so what is the point of this dyson sphere I've contructed if my no one can marvel at it trillions of years from now." Then the humans are like "Knowing that nothing ever matters makes good deeds truly altruistic" :smuggo:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blastedhellscape posted:

At the weird hippy private school I went to the book The Gate to Women’s Country by Sheri S. Tepper was required reading in one of the English classes. It was a pretty interesting book (and doesn’t have any over-the-top fantastic elements,) but I remember it doing that uncomfortable thing some science fiction novels do where you can’t tell if it’s using eugenics as a theme or outright advocating eugenics.

Gate to Women's Country is explicitly pro-eugenics.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I'm really loving confused about that woman's philosophical standpoints. From that review and the posts here it's... eco-determinist catholic feminism?

No, she hates organized religion too. Especially Catholicism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gate to Women's Country is explicitly pro-eugenics.

As is the rest of her oeuvre, yes.

Tepper is that rarest of things, a literal eco-fascist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, check out this Strange Horizons interview. The rabbithole has no bottom.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I loved Glen Cook's Black Company series, is his Dread Empire series any good?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mustang posted:

So I loved Glen Cook's Black Company series, is his Dread Empire series any good?

I liked Dread Empire, but I recommend Instrumentalities of the Night over Dread Empire.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Prolonged Priapism posted:

As a side note, I find his unabashed reuse of themes/ideas/places/characters/names/conversations to be interesting and unique among authors. Meditative. He doesn't change things for the sake of changing them, but he doesn't try to fit them together for the sake of, either. There's no shared universe, but they're not totally separate either. It gives his body of work more of a body. It lends to the sense that he's circling around some bedrock of truth, poking at it from different angles. I like it.

What cases did you catch being reused? It's been a while since I read the rest of his stuff, so I only noticed Pauline.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

No, she hates organized religion too. Especially Catholicism.
Really? Because the whole "people need to atone for what their ancestors did" thing seems pretty unoriginal but rather Original to me.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Blastedhellscape posted:

She also wants to put all mentally ill people into death camps, which is pretty ironic.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Finished KSR's Aurora tonight. It was great, of course. Interesting choices in POV and overall plot. He wields his trademark awe of environments in a slightly different way here - far more judiciously, but to great effect. His evolving stance on spaceflight/exploration/colonization is a (or the) central theme, and after this I'm not sure if there's much more to say. It's strange, since I like his space-themed novels very much, but if this was the last one he ever wrote it would make sense.

I totally agree and I love him for it. It's like how I read Icehenge after the Mars Trilogy, you can see it was just an early idea that he then tempered into greatness.

If I were to model myself after a writer it would be him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Really? Because the whole "people need to atone for what their ancestors did" thing seems pretty unoriginal but rather Original to me.

Grass is pretty unabashedly anti-Catholic, and also anti-foxhunting. And in the end our supermensch heroine Majorie Westriding rides into space on her giant fox boyfriend, who is also invisible

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New trailer for the Expanse:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/09/expanse-trailer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dammit. Tom Piccirilli died.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The Quantum Thief was really good. Is the sequel as good? I don't want to get gotten by a Lies of Locke Lamora situation again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not as good but still plenty enjoyable. I feel the third one takes a drop in quality, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Speaking of drop in quality, Queen of Fire is a two and a half stars on Amazon right now. It was just two stars earlier today.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Quantum Thief was really good. Is the sequel as good? I don't want to get gotten by a Lies of Locke Lamora situation again.

The entire trilogy is worth it but yeah the first is the best.

Edit: I think everyone saw that Queen of Fire was going to be a dud.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, not really? Tower Lord was a swerve in a different direction from Blood Song and it was somewhat rougher, but I still enjoyed it. The reaction this time goes way beyond "this is not what I expected", though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Maybe not dud but I think most were leery of the third book even though the second was ok. Too bad I really liked the first book.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think the thing with The Causal Angel is that the sense of wonder diminishes somewhat because it's not doing anything completely new like The Quantum Thief and The Fractal Prince. It's still worth reading but it doesn't grab you the same way. Also by the third book the author's style of throwing you in the deep end is not as powerful as a device because, on the one hand, you already know a lot of the jargon (at least by context), and on the other, it's growing thin from repetition.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I just finished the latest Django Wexler (Thousand Names, Shadow Throne) book, The Price of Valour. I have to say, I'm impressed. It's like Wexler took every single complaint I had with The Shadow Throne and tackled it head on.

And that ending. It was obvious from the start that Jane wasn't exactly stable, but I wasn't expecting her to try and shoot Winter, holy poo poo. :stare:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Good news, apparently the Expanse pilot doesn't suck:

http://io9.com/the-expanse-is-the-show-we-ve-been-wanting-since-battle-1717279167

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doesn't suck so far. SyFy doesn't have a good track record maintaining even mediocre quality.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Doesn't suck so far. SyFy doesn't have a good track record maintaining even mediocre quality.

Supposedly this is going to be their most expensive series to date. Might not mean much, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

I mean, not really? Tower Lord was a swerve in a different direction from Blood Song and it was somewhat rougher, but I still enjoyed it. The reaction this time goes way beyond "this is not what I expected", though.

I thought Tower Lord had a completely different tone and pace from the first book. It wasn't bad in it's own way but it felt like too much of a shift from Blood Song. I haven't read Queen of Fire yet and I'm not sure I'll bother, the reviews are absolutely scathing. Maybe I'll try the next Django Wexler book, Shadow Throne was a mess but at least I'm hearing better things about Price of Valour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Today's UK Kindle daily deal includes a number of decent sci-fi books, including Ancillary Justice, Starship Troopers, Proxima by Stephen Baxter, a couple of Arthur C Clarke's, Metro 2034 (but not 2033), and Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds.