Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

KozmoNaut posted:

don't sound like they record on a worn-out Fisher Price tape recorder in an empty oil drum.

deal breaker right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

I started off by listening to Burzum and Bathory(mainly Blood Fire Death).
:stare:

I only started off with Iron Maiden.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I got into harsh vocals through Death and Atheist.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Has anyone taken a structured approach to introduce a friend to extreme metal? I imagine it starts with something heavy-ish with clean vocals and slowly works in heavier music before moving into partially clean and then death before black.

My friend listens to punk and loves Propaghandi who I think sounds fairly heavy for a punk band.

Any recommendations? Doesn't necessarily need to be chronological since I know some people will say listen to Maiden, but I think that could potentially lead someone to think it sounds outdated.

I'd start with Motorhead. After that probably High on Fire because Matt Pike's doing his best Lemmy anyway so the vocals aren't too far off but you get more riffs and poo poo. After that it's open season.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I got into harsh vocals through Death and Atheist.

....I "got" harsh vocals for the first time because of late 90's/early 00's metalcore. :negative: That's like all that came through town back then, I swear!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
don't feel bad. i think what got me into metal was system of a down lmao

then i found opeth's ghost reveries and btbam's alaska

i still kind of want to go listen to system of a down now though

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think the first 'harsh' vocals that I decided I liked were from Exodus' Tempo of the Damned, I think he only actually really screams on a track or two. Then I came across Arsis' A Celebration of Guilt and that kinda set me on the path of tolerating and eventually digging the screams.

Metal is definitely an acquired taste, I don't know how people could jump right in with hard poo poo like Bathory. I needed Bruce Dickinson to ease me in.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

I think the first 'harsh' vocals that I decided I liked were from Exodus' Tempo of the Damned, I think he only actually really screams on a track or two. Then I came across Arsis' A Celebration of Guilt and that kinda set me on the path of tolerating and eventually digging the screams.

Metal is definitely an acquired taste, I don't know how people could jump right in with hard poo poo like Bathory. I needed Bruce Dickinson to ease me in.

I didn't have any real preconceived idea of what vocals 'should' sound like, so I never found them to be much of a problem. Bands with unusual production or structures different from what I'd heard before were more difficult to get into at first.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I sort of jumped head first into Death Metal the chance I got. I think my first metal album I was listened to as a kid (besides Metallica) was a Seasons in the Abyss. Then a friend lent me a copy of Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face EP and there I was.

That cover of Zero the Hero is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl65Oatlo30

Looking back on it this is practically every Six Feet Under song.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
My first exposure to metal was the music video for Immortals "Call of the Wintermoon", but what actually got me into death metal was Ensiferum's "Slayer of Light". At the time, I had been listening mostly to house and trance music when a friend sent me a single track over MSN Messenger and it was pretty much purely death metal from then on.

I wish Ensiferum wasn't poo poo now. I also wish that Jari would give up on this weird symphonic epic bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF7qQR7-dY4

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I would never recommend anyone start with a band that I would later label "only useful as a gateway" (or more accurately, poo poo). You don't want to undermine the introduction you've made by basically saying "and now you're okay with that, let's move onto what I was really introducing you to". It makes the whole thing look like shitlord central, especially since people tend to view things that get them into a genre/scene/movement with nostalgia and sympathy if it ends up being something that resonates with them.

As for structured: You can pretty much show the development of heavy metal by playing Judas Priest, Motorhead, Slayer, Razor, Rigor Mortis, Possessed, Poison (german), Sadus, Master, Morbid Angel, Morpheus Descends etc...

There's a rudimentary development of Slayer basically being Judas Priest on crack on Show No Mercy and this having a massive influence on bands going forward, Motorhead's punk sound is also incorporated into rudimentary death metal as it develops (eg. Death Strike/Master), and the technicality of bands such as Sadus and Coroner is a callback to both shred artists of the 80s and classical stylings - which in turn are reflected in the riffing style of early Morbid Angel as well (ANUS was always possessed with applying classical theorem to the whole of metal, but it is unquestionable that Azagthoth is/was obsessed by Mozart).

You can also see in the Swedish scene a lot more of a punk attitude displayed and most of the swedish death metal scene arises out of discharge style percussion driving the classic stockholm guitar sound. The swedish black metal scene tends to delve into the area's death metal sound, or back into classical heavy metal.

At some point you're going to realise that there's almost absolutely no one "proper" way to bridge the development of certain subgenres, since sometimes a sound just appears out of "nowhere" (not really, but the components that comprise the sound are too widespread to nail down to any one influence). If your friend listens to punk and knows the development of hardcore etc, then he should also understand where thrash, grindcore and their ilk come from too - and why it's difficult to pinpoint the emergence of these sounds (and basically modern metal) without including both metal and hardcore bands. Eventually you end up realising that there are a lot of metal bands wandering around at the moment (ie. formed post-2000) who owe absolutely everything they record to Neurosis...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Thanks. It's been helpful just hearing different bands that I can start with.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
It's weird, I don't remember ever not being into metal. I remember one of my brother's friends left his ...And Justice For All tape over our house one day when I was four or five years old and for some reason, he couldn't find it for a couple of weeks. I always had a predilection for Sabbath and the darker stuff that was on the local classic rock stations at the time. By the time the end of middle school rolled around I was swept into a couple of nu-metal bands for a little bit (Deftones, not Disturbed), but as I de-angsted I came out the other side with a big fistful of Gothenburg melodeath albums, since that scene was starting to get huge in the States around the time of Napster. From there I think I backtracked to everything else coming out of Sweden that I missed in the early '90s.

If your bud's into Propagandhi, some crossover thrash probably isn't a bad thing to throw his way. I hate most of the revival stuff, but you hate fun if you don't love this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9Dovtluo4

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

poo poo, if he's into Propaghandi, throw some D.R.I. and early Suicidal Tendencies his way.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I didn't listen to music until I got in 7th grade besides classic rock my Dad listened to. Then some friends got me started with hardcore/metalcore, then got introduced into black metal and At The Gates by older friends.

It's all been downhill from there.

I always recommend Iron Maiden, Mastodon, and Megadeth for people trying to get directly into metal. At The Gates, Cannibal Corpse, and Killswitch Engage for people trying to get into extreme metal/harsher stuff, they seem to hit both ends of the spectrum in my opinion. Not that I like Killswitch Engage or anything, but people tend to like the clean vocals mixed with the harsh a lot more than straight harsh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mine brutal entry was watching Napalm Death on Beavis and Butthead, wondering, "holy poo poo.... this is real?"

First band was White Zombie tho. I used to be such a weird stupid catholic I thought listening to WZ on Sunday was a bad idea.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 9, 2015

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

heh my musical transition from middle school on went something like - Limp Bizkit/Disturbed/Drowning Pool -> Metallica/Megadeth/some other thrash -> In Flames/Iced Earth/Children of Bodom -> then I heard "Underneath The Waves" by Strapping Young Lad and was like welp I loving love all this kinda poo poo I guess

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I forget how mine went since I started listening to rock in like 6th grade (only Metalhead in a Catholic middle school).

Rock Radio poo poo->Iron Maiden/Priest/Sabbath->Motörhead/Megadeth/Metallica->Slayer/Exodus/Possessed->Whatever sounds good to me (a lot of grunge and alt rock lately for some reason.)

Somewhere along the way I also started getting big into punk (around the same time as the Big Four I think).

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

Started off with Iron Maiden as well. I was 13 years old at summer camp in New Jersey and we had these camp counsellors from England. One of them had Somewhere in Time which was their latest at the time. Fell in love with it. Never heard metal before since I knew nothing about music other than what was popular on the radio. Was pretty life changing to say the least. After getting home from camp, I basically had my dad buy me as much IM as possible. Even got him into it, as he always wanted to watch Live after Death with me.

WASP was the second band I got into since someone else at that camp had Inside the Electric Circus. Loved that too!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Varg posted:

In Flames/Iced Earth/Children of Bodom

This used to be my go-to intro-to-metal, and now it's just modernized to Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Mors Principium Est.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Varg posted:

classic In Flames/Children of Bodom

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This used to be my go-to intro-to-metal, and now it's just modernized to Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Mors Principium Est.

None of those bands did Moonshield though. :colbert:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
This got me thinking and I'm fairly sure that I got into metal via Metallica. I can't believe I never thought about this.

Of course, after that it was tons of Tool, nu-metal, and classic rock that eventually led to grindcore and doom.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Limp Bizkit and Slipknot got me into metal :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I grew up with all the 80's acts, when Limp Bizkit and Slipknot were a thing I was in my "loving kids and their loving noise, what is this poo poo" phase.

Still kind of like that with a lot of modern stuff but there are some gems out there that work with my tastes, it seems whatever effect the 90's had on metal kind of played itself out and people are getting back to the good stuff. Still a lot that sounds like rocks in a garbage disposal but there's also a lot I can really dig.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Punk got me into metal because stuff like the descendants, minor threat, and bad brains got boring so then I got into suicidal tendencies and bands I'd now consider kinda crossover-ish like a global threat. Then in sophomore year my friend finally convinced me to give slayer a shot (I was really stubborn back then, same year a different friend showed me the haunted but he hosed up and showed me the dead eye) and I loving loved reign in blood. Also around the same time I was getting bored of playing punk songs and wanted to get better at the guitar, so getting into iron maiden at the same time really sealed the deal. Phantom of The Opera was my favorite song back then and was the first one I learned. Years later I would learn that slayer got signed because they did a cover of that song.

I think that all is why I really like blackened thrash and crusty poo poo still.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I guess since I got all this started, I'll share mine.

I'm 29, didn't really start listening to metal until I was 18 but then just barely. I started with Dream Theater and lots of prog rock/metal. That became Opeth which just led to rabbit holes of European metal on Wikipedia since it's so incestuous. Melodic death and atmospheric black/folk are my favorites now.

edit: and I've still really haven't listened to much Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, etc.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

DeusExMachinima posted:

None of those bands did Moonshield though. :colbert:

Speaking of Moonshield, that's one of the songs that got me deeper into metal

Back in 10th grade, fall of 2000, a friend of mine brought in a burned audio CD with the following on it:
In Flames - Bullet Ride, Jotun, Moonshield
Children of Bodom - Everytime I Die, Taste of My Scythe, Bed of Razors
Blind Guardian - Valhalla (live)
Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come, Engines of Hate, Narcosynthesis
Sonata Arctica - Full Moon
a couple songs by Sentenced and one by Nightwish, I don't remember which

I loved all of it except Moonshield, which was too heavy for me at the time but made me curious just how much else there was to find. Prior to that, the only metal I'd been exposed to (primarily through my dad) was Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Dream Theater.

Then I discovered Snakenet Metal Radio and it was all over.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I skipped the melodeath phase and started with Nile. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
My first metal album was Planetary Duality by the Faceless and for my first like 4 months of being a metal fan I only listened to tech death. Strange times.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nerve posted:

My first metal album was Planetary Duality by the Faceless

I'm sorry to hear that

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm sorry to hear that

I mean before that I was listening to a lot of ska punk so now you know that's the kind of person I am

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'd never have guessed :allears:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I actually forgot before about my power metal/sorta cheesy metal phase around the same time as the intro to melodeath phase.. or maybe I just blocked it out of my memory.. listened to a ton of Dream Theater, Edguy, Evergrey, Firewind, Nightwish, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, and way more Stratovarius than anyone should.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Varg posted:

I actually forgot before about my power metal/sorta cheesy metal phase around the same time as the intro to melodeath phase.. or maybe I just blocked it out of my memory.. listened to a ton of Dream Theater, Edguy, Evergrey, Firewind, Nightwish, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, and way more Stratovarius than anyone should.
Oh, yeah, I definitely had this bad boy in my collection at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpIzENS9rss

e: this is making me nostalgic for super-indulgent prog-power, I just found this again too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPbTigz-mnc

e: okay just one more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reEspKi7VTQ

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 10, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

this is making me nostalgic for super-indulgent prog-power

hell yeah, i'm always in the mood for this album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdx0rq8j3sY

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My neighbor played a bunch of Rob Zombie and Load-era Metallica when we were kids so I always had a predilection for heavier stuff when I actually started listening to music. The first time I heard Master of Puppets (the song) a few years later it blew my loving mind. Among my first CDs I bought (I had a Barnes and Noble gift card so I got 5) were that album and Dream Theater's Octavarium. Later I found Atheist and from there it just expanded.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
mine was dimmu borgir

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Octavarium as one of your first albums. Way to make everyone feel old hehe. First album I remember buying was Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie. Not a huge step from there to more heavy stuff. Initially Metallica, Maiden, Manowar and Pantera. First 'extreme' band was probably In Flames as others have said.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I listened to a bunch of Guns N Roses, who were of course cool to a ten year old because they said gently caress a lot. Then we got MTV, I watched Beavis & Butthead and discovered White Zombie. My cousin lent me her copy of Chaos AD and everything just kinda spiralled from there.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember initially watching metal videos on Much Loud on Much Music back when they set aside an hour for metal videos, and getting into bands like Fear Factory, Machine Head, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, and Pantera and buying some metal albums like Chaos AD, Roots, Reign In Blood, Demanufacture, Master of Puppets, and Burn my Eyes. My interest in thrash and groove metal led me to explore more technical bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, and I eventually got into death metal and grindcore, stoner metal, while still being interested in groove metal and thrash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I think the first metal album I bought was Will Work for Food by Uncle Slam based solely on the cover.

Still think it's a pretty cool cover.