Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm a level 30 frieza clan with most of my points in health and basic attack with a few in strike supers, stamina, and ki

i feel like i do chip damage while the enemy can take half my bar with a energy beam. am i doing it wrong? if i grind out 3 more dragon balls and wish for respec what should my stats be?

Here's the key for Frost Demons.

(Also due to some unfortunate things, GE Brisk is now known as Rider GE Brisk)

If you want to be a punchman, you have one huge advantage over other species- your stamina is amazing. It's basically a second health bar if you use the right poses.

So if you like punches, just figure out the right way to get the combos flowing, and throw in a pose or two to boost your powers.

I can kill things WAY faster than my two friends who are Buu Girl beam spammers- I'm just a lot easier to kill. It's a risk reward kind of thing. They can survive way better than I can, but I can beat the poo poo out of anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Basic attacks, even when they've got a bunch of points, don't really do a ton of damage. Even strike supers aren't great compared to ki supers. Are you doing it wrong? No, there's no bad build. Just play with different strike supers until you find ones that you like. Putting more points into health is always good. That being said, the game seems to be biased towards ki users. While a good strike ultimate like Blue Hurricane may do good damage, most ki ultimates consistently do more damage.

The game is hardly biased towards Ki users, quite the opposite really, ESPECIALLY for Friezas. Ki attacks are often more damaging, but they are also harder to land and have less good clothing options than strikermans. Evil Rise Strike, Deadly Dance, Pearl Flash all do great damage. Friezas have all the Frieza unique armor options that boost strike, basic and stamina, as does every one else. There, as far as I know, is no equivalent armor for Ki users.

Ki is good, as is Strike as are Annoying rear end Tanky Male Buu Punchmans, but honestly it is how you break it, everything can be busted in this game.

Insofar as your build, in low level, you really only want to dedicate yourself to one damage source, either strike, ki or basic attack since you don't have that many points to go around. I, like you Hip-Hoptimus favor going the Punchman+ Pose route. Having Phantom Fist/Afterimage, Pose E, Pose K and whatever else can just be silly. Having Final Pose/Mach Dash as an Evasive is also useful. You just run in, combo them out and kill.

Also, across classes, unless you are a Super Saiyan build you almost never actually need points in your Ki Gauge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Madmarker posted:

For the future, if you are wondering why something isn't dropping/triggering here is the answer: RNG

If you completed the requirements to trigger ultimate in a PQ and it didn't happen: RNG

If the item/skill didn't drop, either you didn't meet the trigger of the Ultimate or RNG.
SO try again and trigger Ultimate. If it still doesn't drop: RNG

IF you can't figure out where to find dragonballs, go to a PQ where there is a time patroller and fight them. There are tons, but I really like PQ 2 "Prepare for the Attack of the Saiyans" You start by having to kill Tien, Yamcha and Krillin on Kame's Lookout. Afterword there is a chance for a time patroller to appear. If he doesn't appear, thats the RNG loving with you, hit retry. If he does appear talk to and defeat him. If you do the guy will drop two items. If the second item message says a Key item was dropped, great, you got a Dragonball, go ahead and finish the PQ to claim your prize. If not, RNG still hates you, hit start and retry, and repeat the process.

Ugh that's really unfortunate to hear. I really enjoy Xenoverse despite it being a fairly flawed game, but the only thing worse than this RNG is my score on the GRE.

I'll have to mess around with PQ 2 and PQ 12.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I tried to change Masters and lost the "test your might" fight. Now all of my Masters are gone. Is this a fixable thing?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

I tried to change Masters and lost the "test your might" fight. Now all of my Masters are gone. Is this a fixable thing?

yeah they're randomly appearing. run back and forth between offline battle and offline parallel quest desks, talking to the robot at each one and backing out to refresh the hub zone if you couldn't find your guy in one of the spawn locations. you'll get the one you want eventually to appear.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How the flying heck do you increase the friendship bar of Elder Kai? I want Unlocked Potential but I also want the Z rating on PQs but doing so makes me want to put my head through some dry wall. Either way, I'm doing them and his bar is still on zero. I've done the first thing he asks you, that was easy, but now I've hit a wall.

Also, why does Big Bang Kamehameha suck? Instead of a beam it's just a blob that stretches out from the source and has no tracking whatsoever. That's disappointing coming from probably the most powerful Fusion in the universe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I believe that, in place of teaming up with your mentor to increase their friendship rating, Elder Kai's goes up whenever you team with women.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

I believe that, in place of teaming up with your mentor to increase their friendship rating, Elder Kai's goes up whenever you team with women.

Ultimate Gohan as well.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jimbot posted:

How the flying heck do you increase the friendship bar of Elder Kai? I want Unlocked Potential but I also want the Z rating on PQs but doing so makes me want to put my head through some dry wall. Either way, I'm doing them and his bar is still on zero. I've done the first thing he asks you, that was easy, but now I've hit a wall.

Also, why does Big Bang Kamehameha suck? Instead of a beam it's just a blob that stretches out from the source and has no tracking whatsoever. That's disappointing coming from probably the most powerful Fusion in the universe.

Increasing rating with him is the same as anyone else, completing PQs and getting Z ranks. It takes longer because he doesn't have a move you can use while leveling compatibility. I have heard that using original cast female characters as assists in PQs can increase the rate you increase friendship with Elder Kai, but I have not seen anything that confirms it.

BBK still does a poo poo ton of damage if it hits. Yeah it is kind of a poo poo move, but it is there to look cool when you are fighting in PVE.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I love BBK in PvE, it's so easy to game when the CPU is about to rush you and punish them for it. It's probably one of the most outright damaging Ki Supers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I am having more fun than is reasonable spamming Instant Transmission throughout PvP.

During a 3v3 match, I accidentally teleported in the way of someone using Ginyu's body swap on one of my allies. Suddenly I became some CaC Saiyan that I had no idea how to use, despite probably being a basic build. For all the game's flaws, moments like that are just peak DBZ.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 9, 2015

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
If you can land a blue hurricane it can do about half a health bar to anyone. If you can land a good blue hurricane on two people with good health bars and they both remain stuck in it anywhere between 50% and 2 healthbars. More and you can just giggle without touching the controller for about a minute as you hear them die one by one. Its the only attack I know of that legitimately seems to do more damage the more people are caught in it. Its like you get slowed down by the number of people being hit and so it hits more often or goes for longer or something. (This was experienced on the ps4 not the pc so if its something to do with that sorry.) I got lucky and grabbed it early and it has NEVER left my Human's build since even though everything else has been traded around over time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wanted to thank you guys for the help but i realized what i was doing wrong on my own. i had a thin character doing a melee build. dragon balled a new fat body and tripled my basic attack damage output just about. they should tell you this stuff.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I picked this up for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, but I'm glad I did. I was only into Dragon Ball for about a month and half back in 7th grade so a lot of this is lost on me, but I do appreciate how drat doofy it is. My character is 3 foot tall coal black rubber band alien dressed like a mardi gras reject that zips around throwing explosions at people. My favorite moment so far is the time Me, Vegeta, and Vegeta went back in time to help Vegeta beat up a 10 year old, but then the kids dad got super pissed and kicked all our asses.

Game's really fun. The animation is really impressive, some of the in game cinematics look exactly like a scene from the TV show, and the camera during the fights is really great at selling the super powered bad assery.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there's plot to read in the vault if you go in there. each saga is basically goku is dead or training for a long time while all his friends get their asses beat then he shows up at the last minute, glowing a order of magnitude brighter than last time, and destroys the menace in a cataclysm that leaves his whereabouts once again unknown.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I didn't remember a lot about Dragon Ball from my childhood, but there were enough iconic scenes recreated that they could jog my memory from sight.

One thing that did surprise me to be reminded of was just how much death and murder the show had. Stuff like Dragon Ball Z tended to be pretty clean of actual death, or at least had it scrubbed out of localizations (like Yu-Gi-Oh's constant trips to the Shadow Realm). Vague comparisons to western media would also have a lot of parallels drawn to western comic book heroes, who usually have a code against killing; for all Superman's power, he really shies away from it.

But Dragon Ball Z itself? No, there's A LOT OF DEATH AND KILLING. And not just off-screen stuff like the unseen effective-genocide of Namek, there's a fuckload of people dying on-screen. And the heroes are doing a lot of it, too! I started counting it out with a friend, the only member of the main warrior cast that didn't kill anyone was Tien, and then if we extend it to later additions Videl (who still snapped a guy's neck, which should've killed him) and Hercule.

It also says things about Bulma's mental state that she not only hangs out with all of these people, she married the worst one of the lot, and really doesn't raise much issues with them. At least Chi-Chi seems aware that the people around her are terrible influences on Gohan.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 10, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ahem

They're not dead, they were sent to another dimension! Get your facts straight, buster!

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
To be fair, Goku repeatedly tries to not kill people. He let Vegeta live. He would've let Frieza live if he hadn't have attacked Goku that last time. Although, Goku's final attack didn't even kill Frieza. I guess once the androids show up, Goku realizes the only way to deal with unrepentant murder-machines is to kill them.

I will admit, there is much more violent murder and brutality in the show than what I remembered as a kid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you go back to the original Dragon Ball (And you should), even Tien's goal in one of the World Tournaments is actually to kill Goku at one point.

Tien also savagely breaks Yamcha's leg during the same Tournament and then laughs about it. It's great.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tien is not a killer.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Tien is not a killer.

gently caress Androids, gently caress Super Saiyans and gently caress YOU......KI KO HO!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jimbot posted:

Ahem

They're not dead, they were sent to another dimension! Get your facts straight, buster!

Then again, they do treat the afterlife as a place that can be visited, so you're both right.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

To be fair, Goku repeatedly tries to not kill people. He let Vegeta live. He would've let Frieza live if he hadn't have attacked Goku that last time. Although, Goku's final attack didn't even kill Frieza. I guess once the androids show up, Goku realizes the only way to deal with unrepentant murder-machines is to kill them.

I will admit, there is much more violent murder and brutality in the show than what I remembered as a kid.

To be fair, death/going to another dimension really isn't that big of a deal when you have magic balls that will bring people back at least once and magic beans that can heal near fatal injuries upon ingestion.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also time travel apparently means you can use those Dragonballs as often as you like.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Death in the DB universe seems less like the final journey of the spirit, the great final, inescapable moment that everyone faces in the end and more of a change of address.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Goku literally goes to the afterlife to train whenever he can. He's not even loving dead.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if Ocean Dub didn't translate that correctly!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Funimation dub got incredibly better but boy I remember first hearing the new dub for the first time having spent all that time with the Ocean dub and absolutely hating it. Goku was fine but something was kind of off with the line readings, Krillin sounded like he was trying to pass a massive poo poo, Frieza sounded like he had a massive cold, Gohan sounded fine, Vegeta and Piccolo sounded ok too. The trouble with that early stuff coming off of the Ocean dub, on top of all that, is that they all sounded like they were doing something with their voices to make it sound like a character. The Ocean dub sounded way more natural to me. Yeah, they were doing it too but they hid that fact better.

They all got better over time. I fell off the series before Cell showed up but playing Xenoverse, they all sound really great. Except Trunks, I really can't stand the direction they have that voice actor going in. Sounds like he's talking like that because he has something stuck in his throat and is trying to clear it as he talks.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Goten's voice is like a hot poker stabbing your brain. There are a couple of other awful ones(Vegeta has some really dead lines), but over all I was pretty impressed by the voice acting in Xenoverse.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jimbot posted:

. Except Trunks, I really can't stand the direction they have that voice actor going in. Sounds like he's talking like that because he has something stuck in his throat and is trying to clear it as he talks.

HEY

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

guys

e: ^ohoho you wiley fucker you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Trunks sounds like he's REALLY trying to sound badass to impress everyone, but falls short. It honestly works well for his character.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trunks' hey when you talk to him is the funniest sound

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zeron posted:

Goten's voice is like a hot poker stabbing your brain. There are a couple of other awful ones(Vegeta has some really dead lines), but over all I was pretty impressed by the voice acting in Xenoverse.

Gotenks is the loving worst. He has Goten's annoying voice while also being actually annoying.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There are some funky things in the game too. Supreme Kai of Time sounds like they recorded her over Skype. Trunks has a line he says and it sounds like they caught the voice actor on the street for a quick reading (it's not even in that gravely voice either). But beyond that, yeah, the acting in Xenoverse is pretty great. When in the series did the voice actors hit their stride anyway? They all sounded great in Battle of the Gods too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

djw175 posted:

Gotenks is the loving worst. He has Goten's annoying voice while also being actually annoying.

yeah i wish they killed trunks and kept goten instead of smooshing the two together

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

djw175 posted:

I thought that was the point with Gotenks. He's two hyped-up kids in one body, of course he's an insufferable little gently caress.

The only real issue I had with the voice acting in Xenoverse is that Freiza at full power has a bunch of mis-assigned lines. I didn't like listening to Jeice and Recoome either, but that's a personal thing both times.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jeice and recome are awesome though. i use recoome kick all the time for boosted basic attack so i hear him all the time. its like the melee equivalent of a kamehameha with its sick range. spike the enemy into the ground --> recoome kick is very satisfying.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Whoever the new voice actress for goten is, she's super new to the fusion thing because all of Gotenks's lines feel like they're slowed down so she can match Laura Bailey. Before, Gotenks was talking a a mile a minute, and also using less "yo, wassup, Gotenks in the house!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Real hurthling! posted:

jeice and recome are awesome though. i use recoome kick all the time for boosted basic attack so i hear him all the time. its like the melee equivalent of a kamehameha with its sick range. spike the enemy into the ground --> recoome kick is very satisfying.

I still tend to bring Burter and Jeice on PQs with me, I love the Ginyu Force :allears:

• Locked thread