Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
In Foleys book he says Terry Funk chose to be Chainsaw Charlie. How true is this? Has Funk ever spoke about it? To me it seems like a decision to try and hide the fact Funk was old as balls or make him marketable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Terry Funk was in a stable in Japan with a chainsaw-slinging maniac garbage wrestler and a blood feud with the guy's equally chainsaw-slinging successor, I'd be willing to believe it was just Terry Funk being wonderfully insane.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
when youve been the same character for 30 years its probably fun to play someone else

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

061469 posted:

Developmental for announcers? I don't know... I mean, the guy is 42 years old. When did Cole start?

When he was 28 or 29. He was an announcer for SD by 30.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And he had years of experience as an on-camera journalist too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MisterGBH posted:

In Foleys book he says Terry Funk chose to be Chainsaw Charlie. How true is this? Has Funk ever spoke about it? To me it seems like a decision to try and hide the fact Funk was old as balls or make him marketable.

For what it's worth, I read the same thing on Wrestlecrap years ago. They were like "you'll come out of this box, it'll be cool" and Funk was like "THAT'S BORING, I'LL BE CHAINSAW CHARLIE, SOMEBODY GET ME A CHAINSAW!"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Terry Funk is the coolest and the best

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LvK posted:

Terry Funk was in a stable in Japan with a chainsaw-slinging maniac garbage wrestler and a blood feud with the guy's equally chainsaw-slinging successor, I'd be willing to believe it was just Terry Funk being wonderfully insane.

Terry Funk had an idea for a gimmick called Dr Nosetal. He would blurt out random facts and berate the fans for not knowing that. He would finish babyface's sentences and scream that he already knew that. He tried to give the gimmick to Mikey Whipwreck.

Terry Funk is a man among mere ants.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

Terry Funk had an idea for a gimmick called Dr Nosetal. He would blurt out random facts and berate the fans for not knowing that. He would finish babyface's sentences and scream that he already knew that. He tried to give the gimmick to Mikey Whipwreck.

Terry Funk is a man among mere ants.

Wasn't this Bob Backlund's heel gimmick

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The only problem with Chainsaw Charlie is that it was Terry Funk and everyone knew of Funk and that it happened in the general insanity of the Attitude era.

If a new guy turned up tomorrow cutting his way out of a box with a chainsaw then you would tune into see it. People would be asking you about the guy with a chainsaw. It would start the Chainsaw era.

EugeneJ posted:

Wasn't this Bob Backlund's heel gimmick

I thought that while writing it. Further proof that Funk is a genius. He'd have out booked everyone if his horse didn't keep getting sick.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 9, 2015

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Rewatching old PPVs... It struck me that Earl Hebner kinda sucked. His counts are always super slow and he seems to insert himself into stuff too often. Just watched him mess up the finish to Rock vs. Angle at No Way Out 2001. Why was he always so well respected (until the merch selling thing anyway)? It seemed like he got treated way better than Tim White.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Scott Armstrong is the worst loving counter and he actively distracts me from Cena/Punk MITB

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

saltylopez posted:

Earl Hebner loving sucked.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

Scott Armstrong is the worst loving counter and he actively distracts me from Cena/Punk MITB

When he first joined WWE, he was with the ECW brand. This was during the time WWE was ordering officials to "treat the match like it's a shoot". So there was a main event live on Sci Fi, and a wrestler forgot to kick out. Of course Scott Armstrong counts 3 and ends the match early, loving up the entire show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

When he first joined WWE, he was with the ECW brand. This was during the time WWE was ordering officials to "treat the match like it's a shoot". So there was a main event live on Sci Fi, and a wrestler forgot to kick out. Of course Scott Armstrong counts 3 and ends the match early, loving up the entire show.

That wasn't Scott Armstrong, the ref in question did exactly what he was told to do and was fired shortly afterwards.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I think for a long time Hebner was the most recognizable partly because he interacted more with wrestlers during matches and he was the ref in a lot of big matches. So he kinda got himself over in a way.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
By god there are two Hebners, Hogan got screwed

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gonzo McFee posted:

The only problem with Chainsaw Charlie is that it was Terry Funk and everyone knew of Funk and that it happened in the general insanity of the Attitude era.

I had no clue who he was. I was a big Mankind mark, so I thought his crazy friend was amazing.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sadly I still remember Funk trying to climb the guard rail, or was it even just negotiating the arena steps when ECW was being relaunched during the RVD/Cena MITB contract signing....

Edit: Speaking of the ECW relaunch, Amish Roadkill appeared than disappeared as Vince had big plans or something for him. Did he ever reappear before he was released?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Benne posted:

loving hell, I'm glad it's not just me.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

EugeneJ posted:

So, what was the ref supposed to do in this case? How do you get around counting 3 if some dumb fucker just plain forgets to kick out, shoulders down in the middle of the ring, without becoming HEEL REF or breaking the illusion? Stop at 2.5 and yell at the wrestler about something nonspecific?

Also, how do you forget to kick out? I mean, they go over spots, and there's a specific move that the person uses to end the match. This isn't even Wrestling 101 here.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
it's not that uncommon to see refs stop counting because someone forgot to kick out.

edit: er actually thinking about it that's pretty rare, i'm thinking of the ref thinking the finish isn't the finish.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think they do 2.5 and say his shoulder's up even if it's not.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Go RV! posted:

So, what was the ref supposed to do in this case? How do you get around counting 3 if some dumb fucker just plain forgets to kick out, shoulders down in the middle of the ring, without becoming HEEL REF or breaking the illusion? Stop at 2.5 and yell at the wrestler about something nonspecific?

Also, how do you forget to kick out? I mean, they go over spots, and there's a specific move that the person uses to end the match. This isn't even Wrestling 101 here.

From what I know, aside from clearly planned spots, the refs are still told to call the match like a shoot. If the guy down doesn't kick out, or at least give some sort of physical indication that he's trying to kick out, I think the ref is just supposed to count it. This is may be different for something like a title match where it's a big deal who goes over, but I believe the thought is they would rather have the wrong guy win and fix it on the next show, than do what you describe above and have the ref obviously hold up his count for no reason. Keeping up the illusion is more important than the actual result of any particular match short of a PPV main event.

Summer Rae told an interesting story recently on some radio show about one time when she was valet for Fandango and was supposed to reach through the ropes and trip his opponent while the ref's back was turned. She hosed up and did it in full view of the ref, and the ref disqualified Fandango. And Fandango was supposed to win that match. She was super upset and apologized to everyone and expected to get a ton of heat about it, but everyone was just like "poo poo happens, whatever."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Remember that glorious five minutes when everyone became meta-marks and speculated that Undertaker was supposed to kick out of the third F5 :allears:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I didn't do that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Minidust posted:

Remember that glorious five minutes when everyone became meta-marks and speculated that Undertaker was supposed to kick out of the third F5 :allears:

Not everyone. Stupid people. Stupid people did that. Common mistake.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember people being convinced that Brock was shooting on Taker

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Minidust posted:

I remember a few people doing that and getting made fun of.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Benne posted:

I remember people being convinced that Brock was shooting on Taker

Just like he shot on Roman Reigns at the last mania

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

it was a shoot f5

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How Brock got busted open has still never been proven. Motive established.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

it was a shoot f5

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oldpainless posted:

How Brock got busted open has still never been proven. Motive established.

He was on the juice (big time)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is Jim Ross completely done with WWE? I was surprised at how harsh he was on their style of wrestling in comments he's made since then.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Jim Ross completely done with WWE? I was surprised at how harsh he was on their style of wrestling in comments he's made since then.

I think he recorded some voice over for them a few months back (not sure for what) but he isn't on any kind of legends deal.

I don't think anyone besides Chyna is ever completely done with the WWE though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

croutonZA posted:

I think he recorded some voice over for them a few months back (not sure for what) but he isn't on any kind of legends deal.

I don't think anyone besides Chyna is ever completely done with the WWE though.

Jeff Jarrett, CM Punk

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Taka Michinoku.

Not like WWE would offer to bring him back, but he would definitely never go if they did.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

DynamiteKidd posted:

Taka Michinoku.

Not like WWE would offer to bring him back, but he would definitely never go if they did.

What's the story there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
He was a comedy jobber whose gimmick was "haha look at that guy he is a race"

He was also a hundred times better than his place on the card and knew it, putting aside the insulting character.