Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

1redflag posted:

I'm too lazy to post the clip from Dazed and Confused that would be relevant here, but just imagine I had done so.

I'm too lazy to watch a movie from thirty years ago to get one joke can I imagine someone explaining your reference to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Krinkle posted:

I'm too lazy to watch a movie from thirty years ago to get one joke can I imagine someone explaining your reference to me?

Adam Goldberg starts a fight with a tough looking jock because he figures it will only be a couple of punches before everyone breaks up the fight.

It does not go as planned, he proceeds to have the poo poo kicked out of him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh okay from context I was expecting one hit then slapping and people broke it up and everyone is crying because of the adrenaline.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nutsngum posted:

Robert Carlisles' character from Trainspotting has always epitomized "the guy you DO NOT fight" as they wont even give a poo poo about fighting you, just causing awful injury to you with the nearest dangerous object.

Even worse Bigby (it was Bigby right?) seemed to kinda WANT to hurt himself in the process. That's not somebody you wanna gently caress with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3E7UkIzt4

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jul 9, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Begbie. I had something of a run-in with a fucker like that except he looked like a smaller version of Bam Bam Bigelow and the fifteen-odd bouncers in the club I was in did not want to know, most especially including the door man who pretended Bam Bam did not get backed into him la la la, nothing to do with meeeeeeee. Never went back there but a helluva night.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaphod42 posted:

Even worse Bigby (it was Bigby right?) seemed to kinda WANT to hurt himself in the process. That's not somebody you wanna gently caress with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3E7UkIzt4

Begbie.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

flosofl posted:

This is going to sound weird, but it's because an MMA match is a sport and it is constrained by rules. An MMA fighter has trained for years and years to fight within those rules. Most "pure" martial artists haven't.

It's because I can't gouge his eyes out, or rip off his ball sack, or punch him in the hyoid bone, or... a million other strikes and response that would end in crippling debility or death.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say "RAWR martial artist is better than MMA!". A lot of MMA fighters are masters in at least one discipline themselves. But someone that has trained in something like Kenpo or Krav Maga for 20 years vs. someone that has trained for a similar period in an MMA gym in a fight to the death? I know where my money lies.

lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I want to fight each and every one of you. But let's take our shirts off first, it's manlier that way.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I want to fight each and every one of you. But let's take our shirts off first, it's manlier that way.

Can we touch penises first? It is ummm manlier that way...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm not sure that's how proper swordfighting goes, better re-read the last five pages.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not sure that's how proper swordfighting goes, better re-read the last five pages.

I'll use my heavy club give you a good bashing :heysexy:

I'll use my spear on that stud :heysexy:

I'll show you big sword if you aren't wearing heavy armor :heysexy:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
A fight isn't a fight unless you're both naked, oiled and in a sand pit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mostlygray posted:

As it is said in Adaptation "God help you if you use voice-over."

It's a movie, show me. If you need to give background information in a movie, you've not made a good movie. Show me. Show me. Show me.

This is loving stupid and retarded and there are some loving great movies with voice-overs. gently caress Adaptation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Always remove your shirt for a fight. It's one less thing for the other guy to grab onto, whipping it off makes you look keen (very intimidating), and it won't get ruined in the scrap.

Some random might nick it though, and you'll freeze your nips off walking home.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

sassassin posted:

Always remove your shirt for a fight. It's one less thing for the other guy to grab onto, whipping it off makes you look keen (very intimidating), and it won't get ruined in the scrap.

Some random might nick it though, and you'll freeze your nips off walking home.

Well if someone steals your shirt what you do is get into a fight with someone else so you can take their shirt. The shirt might get all bloody and ripped because they're still wearing it but who cares? All you want it for is to cover your freezing nips.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
This is why you throw your shirt up into a tree when you fight

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Buzkashi posted:

This is why you throw your shirt up into a tree when you fight

To protect the tree's frozen nips

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
no you should throw your shirt up in the air then beat the guy up and catch the shirt and put it back on

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You mean hold up your arms and slip right into it.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Wear a snap button breakaway shirt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frostwerks posted:

This is loving stupid and retarded and there are some loving great movies with voice-overs. gently caress Adaptation.

Also just reminds me of another Nick Cage movie that he did shortly after Adaptation that featured a poo poo ton of voiceover, The Weather Man.

Most of you have probably either not seen this film or blocked it from your memory. Somehow I ended up seeing it in theaters.
I think it was at discount theater when I was in college? I don't even remember how I ended up seeing it.

It stars a depressed Nick as a weatherman who makes bad predictions so people hate him. He gets cancer and takes up archery. The end. I just spoiled the whole movie.
In addition to the plot being a total wet fart, there was one scene that I will never be able to remove from my memory.

Nick's character is loving some whore in a hotel room, and the voice over says a bunch of really weird random poo poo, including "I wish I had two dicks"
That's not something I needed to know about you, Cage. :stare:

Actually the clip is even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRaCv5oNQ3w he's rambling about Tartar sauce, eating pussy, and Neil Young.

What in the gently caress.

E: Just noticed the kid in that film is the dude from X-Men: First Class. That's cool.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jul 10, 2015

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zaphod42 posted:

Also just reminds me of another Nick Cage movie that he did shortly after Adaptation that featured a poo poo ton of voiceover, The Weather Man.

Most of you have probably either not seen this film or blocked it from your memory. Somehow I ended up seeing it in theaters.
I think it was at discount theater when I was in college? I don't even remember how I ended up seeing it.

It stars a depressed Nick as a weatherman who makes bad predictions so people hate him. He gets cancer and takes up archery. The end. I just spoiled the whole movie.
In addition to the plot being a total wet fart, there was one scene that I will never be able to remove from my memory.

Nick's character is loving some whore in a hotel room, and the voice over says a bunch of really weird random poo poo, including "I wish I had two dicks"
That's not something I needed to know about you, Cage. :stare:

Actually the clip is even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRaCv5oNQ3w he's rambling about Tartar sauce, eating pussy, and Neil Young.

What in the gently caress.

E: Just noticed the kid in that film is the dude from X-Men: First Class. That's cool.

The thing that stuck out, the thing I cannot wipe from my memory, is Nic Cage's character talking to his daughter about her camel toe. That movie was not at all what we expected.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zaphod42 posted:

But he doesn't get cancer, his father does.

Not a good movie though, that's for sure.

Edit: I remember the trailer making it look like a movie where this downtrodden weatherman takes up archery to win the respect/fear of those who hate him, notably the general public. This is certainly not the case, but probably would've made for a better plot, that's for sure.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I really liked Weatherman I think it and American Beauty make a fantastic double feature.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

rejutka posted:

Begbie. I had something of a run-in with a fucker like that except he looked like a smaller version of Bam Bam Bigelow and the fifteen-odd bouncers in the club I was in did not want to know, most especially including the door man who pretended Bam Bam did not get backed into him la la la, nothing to do with meeeeeeee. Never went back there but a helluva night.

Actually, this reminds me of a scene that irritated me in trainspotting, where they beat up the American tourist in the toilets of the pub.

That doesn't seem to happen as far as I've seen in Edinburgh/Leith. I guess the guy was an annoying twat though, but it bothered me a little that Renton and Spud got involved. Didn't seem like their characters would do that, but then again I don't know any heroin addicts so maybe that's normal.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Weather Man stuff

Isn't that the one where he punches a woman dressed as a bear? He was dressed as the bear. Not the woman. Or maybe he punched a bear? I think there were bees involved.

Did I have a fever dream?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That was the remake of Wicker Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

:lol: that description is about what I typed out. Wicker Man/Weather Man, whatever. I refuse to see Wicker Man now just because I don't want that scene to make sense. Out of context it's just fine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MindlessHavok posted:

I refuse to see Wicker Man now just because I don't want that scene to make sense. Out of context it's just fine.

You're not in any danger of the Wicker Man remake making sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

:lol: that description is about what I typed out. Wicker Man/Weather Man, whatever. I refuse to see Wicker Man now just because I don't want that scene to make sense. Out of context it's just fine.

Not the bees!

At this point Wicker Man at least has some value on a "Manos: Hands of Fate" level of horrible. But there's no redeeming The Weather Man.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MindlessHavok posted:

I just googled 'nick cage bear punch' tbh.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

The weird thing about the bees scene is that it was cut from the movie and only added to the dvd release later, probably because it was so internet popular. In the original ending Nick Cage burns to death in a man-shaped effigy made out of wicker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

vainman posted:

The weird thing about the bees scene is that it was cut from the movie and only added to the dvd release later, probably because it was so internet popular. In the original ending Nick Cage burns to death in a man-shaped effigy made out of wicker.

That's still the ending

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Well yeah, but it isn't the ending that everyone saw in theatres. The most famous scene in the movie was cut, which is kind of neat

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My mom was watching Untold Stories From The ER (TV shows get brought up in this thread so I suppose it's okay) and I had to leave the room because the acting was so terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhwlgI2FNk

There was this show from the 80's and 90's called Rescue 911 that also involved people acting out times when they were in danger but they were so much more convincing than this.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

vainman posted:

Well yeah, but it isn't the ending that everyone saw in theatres. The most famous scene in the movie was cut, which is kind of neat

wtf, no it wasn't. I worked in a theatre when the movie came out and I saw that scene 50 times. I've never watched it on dvd.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Morpheus posted:

But he doesn't get cancer, his father does.

Not a good movie though, that's for sure.

Edit: I remember the trailer making it look like a movie where this downtrodden weatherman takes up archery to win the respect/fear of those who hate him, notably the general public. This is certainly not the case, but probably would've made for a better plot, that's for sure.

Yeah That movie had a really weird trailer for what it was. There's a bit in the trailer where he's doing a 3 legged race with his daughter and they fall. She wants to stop but he says "There's a lesson in this" and gets her to keep going while uplifting music plays. In the actual movie, the same basic thing happens except his daughter broke her ankle in the fall and everyone thinks he's a huge rear end in a top hat for making her continue the race.

Which is actually pretty funny. To be honest I remember it being ok. Not great but certainly not terrible.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The TV show Wayward Pines is alright, but the last two episodes pissed me off.
1. How come two kids that were right next to an IED, and who were actually blown away by the blast THROUGH the metal walls of a truck, were barely injured, while the driver, who was farther away, died.
2. How come the missing truck, in the latest episode, isn't traceable?

It's an alright show, but this annoyed me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Celery Face posted:

There was this show from the 80's and 90's called Rescue 911 that also involved people acting out times when they were in danger but they were so much more convincing than this.

And it was hosted by Shatner. That's the most important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

The TV show Wayward Pines is alright, but the last two episodes pissed me off.
1. How come two kids that were right next to an IED, and who were actually blown away by the blast THROUGH the metal walls of a truck, were barely injured, while the driver, who was farther away, died.
2. How come the missing truck, in the latest episode, isn't traceable?

It's an alright show, but this annoyed me.

Best I got.

1: That was a fuckup. If they'd have shown the kids heading towards the back for "privacy" and had some boxes between em, and left the music box at the front by the driver, then it'd have been 100%... well, 80% better. The kid who plays the son should have looked like hamburger after flying through a steel/metal van wall.

2: This one I kinda understand. since EVERYONE is chipped and there's no satellite coverage anymore, lojacking something isn't really an option. If you are in a vehicle, you are going somewhere, and there are very few blind spots on the cameras on the roads. It's something they should have done (and probably would have done had that fucknut not busted through the fence) but I can see the logic in not having the vehicles be traceable.