Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Annie's emotions really seem to be heating up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Let's not jump to any conclusions here. This could be some other fire elemental, or a perfectly natural fire caused by that no good Donovan's pipe smoking father.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe the flame elemental just has resting bitch face and is actually really happy

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The moral of GC is that nerdy dudes are The Worst.

This has been my real-life experience as well.

Fecha posted:

And nerdy ladies are terrifying machine gods.

Same.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nihilarian posted:

his daughter is the elemental that killed his wife.

For that matter, his wife is the elemental that killed his wife.

I'm not saying I see it that way. Just that I could see tony seeing it that way.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Oh now this is an interesting parallel to draw. They both kinda are in similar situations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I didn't immediately make the connection that it's a flashback, so I guess I'll mention it here because I won't be the only person who does so. The corners are what shows it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Interesting parallel indeed.

Of course, nobody but Us The Audience knows that Coyote is horrifyingly editing Ysengrin's memories.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Akett posted:

I didn't immediately make the connection that it's a flashback, so I guess I'll mention it here because I won't be the only person who does so. The corners are what shows it.

And the hair right?

Right?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

And the hair right?

Right?

:doh:

I've been scatterbraned tonight, don't mind me.

Akett fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 10, 2015

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Ditocoaf posted:

Of course, nobody but Us The Audience knows that Coyote is horrifyingly editing Ysengrin's memories.
And nobody Us The Audience and the Zimster knows that Tony tried to tear out half of Annie's soul with his bone-claw-hand (and got a fist to the face in response). Neither one is a healthy relationship.

Speaking of, I wonder if Zimmy's being chased around by a certain scar again right now?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Akett posted:

:doh:

I've been scatterbraned tonight, don't mind me.

I admit that for a moment I did consider "hmm, I thought Stonefaced Annie wasn't allowed out to the forest." You can blame the fact that she's wearing gray-blue.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 1, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Coyote does not love you back. Coyote loves coyote, and that is all. He does not need or care about the love of anyone else.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Coyote does not love you back. Coyote loves coyote, and that is all. He does not need or care about the love of anyone else.

I'd agree with that. He does what makes him happy and gives him joy.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm really glad this was brought up, since I think it's the perfect parallel.

:agreed:

Now, if/when Annie unfucks her head eventually (however many chapters down the line that'll be) I wonder if any of this parallel will stick with her and affect her attitude towards Coyote.

Also FieryAnnie should totally summon up her blinker stone, do the etheric projection thing in reverse (i.e. form a real body for an ethereal being) and just up and leave as Annie2. That might crack SpergAnnie's mask. :v:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fried Chicken posted:

There is no subtext here

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I've been wondering how ysengrin was going to fit in with Annie (as the volume picture had her next to him).

I like ysengrin but his relationship with coyote and himself is very sad. I do not want Annie to become sadder :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fire Annie should escape, float over to the Forest, and catch Coyote red-handed in being an unforgivable dick to Ysengrin.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ditocoaf posted:

Ysengrin is aware his memories are hosed up. I do wonder if he suspects Coyote having something to do with it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Look we can't judge coyote yet, we don't know the full reasons for why he fucks with ysengrin's head, and can't prove that he had anything to do with ysengrin's trying to hurt Annie. Anyway, removing those memories clearly leaves him happier overall so really isn't it a good thing that coyote's doing th-:fuckoff:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Coyote is as bad as Tony but he's a charisma supernova so it's much harder to see. It's a really great parallel as well as contrast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've seen Coyote as a villain for some time now, I suppose it makes sense that he has parallels with the story's other major villain.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

EmmyOk posted:

Coyote is as bad as Tony but he's a charisma supernova so it's much harder to see. It's a really great parallel as well as contrast.

Except there's no good reason to think Coyote ultimately cares about anyone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YF-23 posted:

Except there's no good reason to think Coyote ultimately cares about anyone.
Coyote likely cares about the Forest as a whole, because he lives there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Coyote likely cares about the Forest as a whole, because he lives there.

I don't know to be honest but I think it's an interesting question whether he does or not. I don't now that he'd put the well-being of the Forest above his own entertainment, after all he hasn't always lived there.

Like Lurdiak said I've been wondering about Coyote as a villain for a while now, namely since the memory incident. In my mind it certainly makes the Court banning her from the Forest before T-money showed up much more understandable.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

EmmyOk posted:

Like Lurdiak said I've been wondering about Coyote as a villain for a while now, namely since the memory incident. In my mind it certainly makes the Court banning her from the Forest before T-money showed up much more understandable.

Moreover, while we do know that the court was all sore about something way back when they felt that putting a murderghost between the court and the forest was a good idea (and in general that the court has done some lovely things because of fear of the forest and/or what lurks within), we don't really have any knowledge of anything the forest has done to make people at the court all nervous.

While a lot of stories would state that it is only mankind that distrusts, fears and harms, and that nature is naturally peaceful and pure, I don't see that as the sort of story Siddell would tell. We've seen lots of good and bad people (and their associated actions) on the court's side, but only recently have we begun to see that things probably aren't as 100% happy and magical in the forest as we first thought. Memory manipulation comes to mind, but there's a bunch of other little hints too.

Really, I've been wondering about Coyote as a potential villain, as well as the forest in general for a long time, based only on the fact that I really don't think the author is the type to tell a "Side A is good, Side B is bad" type of story. He often shows that both sides are full of nice and awful people that just happen to fall into two distinct flavors.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

One Legged Cat posted:

Moreover, while we do know that the court was all sore about something way back when they felt that putting a murderghost between the court and the forest was a good idea (and in general that the court has done some lovely things because of fear of the forest and/or what lurks within), we don't really have any knowledge of anything the forest has done to make people at the court all nervous.

While a lot of stories would state that it is only mankind that distrusts, fears and harms, and that nature is naturally peaceful and pure, I don't see that as the sort of story Siddell would tell. We've seen lots of good and bad people (and their associated actions) on the court's side, but only recently have we begun to see that things probably aren't as 100% happy and magical in the forest as we first thought. Memory manipulation comes to mind, but there's a bunch of other little hints too.

Really, I've been wondering about Coyote as a potential villain, as well as the forest in general for a long time, based only on the fact that I really don't think the author is the type to tell a "Side A is good, Side B is bad" type of story. He often shows that both sides are full of nice and awful people that just happen to fall into two distinct flavors.

Well, 1) a god showed up a gouged a massive loving canyon right through everyone's poo poo, that is probably very surprising and shocking
2) one of the demi-gods that hangs around in there has right out said 'destroy all humans'
3) there's a bunch of crazy strong animals and spirits and poo poo in there that are at least hostile to humans in the same way a bear is. Like bears are cool and all but you don't want them loving in your backyard right? So yeah I guess if the choice is either bears or murder-ghost the murder-ghost you set up so it's stuck in a hole and not in your backyard.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Mazerunner posted:

Well, 1) a god showed up a gouged a massive loving canyon right through everyone's poo poo, that is probably very surprising and shocking
2) one of the demi-gods that hangs around in there has right out said 'destroy all humans'
3) there's a bunch of crazy strong animals and spirits and poo poo in there that are at least hostile to humans in the same way a bear is. Like bears are cool and all but you don't want them loving in your backyard right? So yeah I guess if the choice is either bears or murder-ghost the murder-ghost you set up so it's stuck in a hole and not in your backyard.

Yeah, exactly! It's easy to get angry at the dicks in the Court's history because we've seen the dickishness that the court has displayed, but I get the feeling that the forest also has a decent Naughty List that we simply aren't privy to just yet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of the earliest ideas of the comic was that the forest and court are foils to each other. They also both look down on the other. We, as the reader, are in the position of being able to judge them both.

They are essentially the same. But different, of course.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 1, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've always been very suspicious of the whole 'the court were aggressors against the forest' story that Coyote has pushed. Or even his take that before the divide things were that bad. I feel like that it might have just been that he wasn't happy with a situation everyone else was fine with, so he poked up a conflict.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if this makes me dumb but I've always thought Coyote was a villain (though not "the" villain). He's charming and strange sure, but some of his myths (outside the comic) are downright mean. Admittedly he's cast as something different in this story but I don't think the author would have chosen such a chaotic symbol to base him on if he wanted a generally benign tricky figure (Anansi maybe?). It's possible I suppose since Re(y)nard differs considerably from his origins so far as well, especially since he doesn't seem to be trying anything on his arch enemy/uncle I(y)sengrim.

Also nice touch I noticed when re-reading to make sure I didn't say anything embarrassing in this post: ever since the handover Renard has had Kat's mark on his head instead of Antimony's. I'm sure you guys noticed but I wasn't reading the thread back then. You'd think Anthony would notice that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Scaramouche posted:

Also nice touch I noticed when re-reading to make sure I didn't say anything embarrassing in this post: ever since the handover Renard has had Kat's mark on his head instead of Antimony's. I'm sure you guys noticed but I wasn't reading the thread back then. You'd think Anthony would notice that.

It's not visible when he's inactive, and Anthony is unable to force him to "wake up", therefore he hasn't seen it yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

The mark is something Renard chooses to show; it's not on him until he animates.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Giving Annie the tooth was also pretty sus. Why did he give it to her and why was he so empahtic that no one in the court could know she had it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Giving Annie the tooth was also pretty sus. Why did he give it to her and why was he so empahtic that no one in the court could know she had it.

For one thing? It has one of his eyes on it. :tinfoil:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Coyote did some things wrong.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Coyote was the dog that Steadman tripped over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

No no, he wasn't. In fact many people in the court do know she has it.

It's the forest he forbade her from telling about it.

E: See here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=824