Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

when I was in munich there were always a bunch of people right outside the apple store leeching their wifi

also lol xbone

bb-but pc is xbox! xbox is pc!! xpocs on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LastInLine posted:

that poo poo dont fly in america here wifi is free and its loving everywhere

its really bizarre how little free wifi there was in europe and the uk last time i was there tbh

yeah the only place that has paid wifi is airports, and even then only some of them

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

shadow puppet of a posted:

dumb question, but its sort of my thing,

what the gently caress is keeping ms from just dumping high-spec handsets on the market for $39 each? nobody wants them but you can grind out margin 20 years from now by sowing seeds today through poor teens, people robbed trying to complete craigslist transactions and struggling phone-replacers, winpho can find a foothold in people that cannot participate in the contract anniversary hardware update cycle

so why aren't they doing it? everything else they do is going to be a loss anyway, so why aren't they getting crazy while there is a sliver of hope in between the massive price of apple and the increasingly lumpy multi-generation android experience? an anti-dumping lawsuit could be delayed for enough years to grab a near 20% US share if they actually give them away and hire the micromachines fast talking guy to rip through a list of games, dating and social apps that will run on the dumb thing

how do they win anything by pretending they are ever going to compete using traditional value models and near-luxury placement of their phone hardware?
The same thing keeping them from dumping Xbones on the market for $100 and beating Sony in sales handily.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

is this what the winpho does when you turn it sideways now?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nash Regex posted:

is this what the winpho does when you turn it sideways now?

when you tip a windows phone sideways it's because the dumpster it's in is being emptied into a truck

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dont look a gift windows in the mouth

\:haw:/

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

that poo poo dont fly in america here wifi is free and its loving everywhere

its really bizarre how little free wifi there was in europe and the uk last time i was there tbh

just use ur 3g/4g lol what century are we in? wifi?? looks like grandad is lost again

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Celexi posted:

thats a pretty lovely post, did you write that in the toilet?

lol if your posting station isn't your wc

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
windows 10 gonna be off to an amazing start:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/09/pc-sales-continue-to-fall/

quote:

Worldwide PC shipments saw their sharpest decline in nearly two years in the second quarter of 2015, dealing continued damage to retailers and makers of computers, chips and PC software.

Shipments fell 9.5 percent, year on year, to 68.4 million units, according to the research firm Gartner. Rival researcher IDC, which doesn’t include tablets in its tally, tracked an 11.8 percent drop, year on year, to 66.1 million shipments during the quarter. Both firms released PC sales reports on Wednesday.

i can't wait to see what happens when people upgrade their shitboxes that are barely hanging on to windows 10. now that the QA department is gone I expect to see some pretty spectacular upgrade failures. and once your machine shits the bed installing windows 10 how many people are just gonna go to the apple store and get a mac mini or macbook air...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yup. it's gonna be a loving disaster. vista tier.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
vista was good poo poo if u sold printers at the time. a lotta shrugged shoulders that year

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
just noticed that google doesn't translate klingon, but bing does. thanks microsoft

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

THC posted:

microsoft aiming at the demographic that bums around for free wifi instead of disabling wifi completely because LTE is better 99% of the time

i've disabled wifi on my phone because the access point at home on my modem is some old slow pos so I actually do get multiple times faster speeds with 4g.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

mod sassinator posted:

and once your machine shits the bed installing windows 10 how many people are just gonna go to the apple store and get a mac mini or macbook air...

not many, because mba costs more than 300 bux

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

the winders bootcamp logo kinda reminds me of a nfpa diamond

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

windows 10 gonna be off to an amazing start:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/09/pc-sales-continue-to-fall/

i can't wait to see what happens when people upgrade their shitboxes that are barely hanging on to windows 10. now that the QA department is gone I expect to see some pretty spectacular upgrade failures. and once your machine shits the bed installing windows 10 how many people are just gonna go to the apple store and get a mac mini or macbook air...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

bb-but pc is xbox! xbox is pc!! xpocs on you

an xbox on both your houses

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's going to be amazing once all those free windows 10 licenses turn into monthly subscription licenses

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
So elop sends a memo saying " our current platform is poo poo, we're abandoning it and moving to windows", then it takes over a year(?) to get out a windows mobile 7 for mobile phones phone, while they are releasing doa symbian phones every other month.

Immediately after they get a windows 7 phone out, microsoft announces the release on windows 8 in a couple of months and that it will not be backwards compatible with windows 7 phones.

Also windows 8 phones have no official apps for anything and the app store is a cesspool of malware.

Why don't people buy nokia phones anymore :confused:

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
So Bing will be sold off next right? They already sold off Bing Maps to Uber so they're not against the idea

I can see Apple buying it as a way of owning the entire process and removing relying on Google because they already use them for Siri. Like not even having it as a web-based search, just obscured integration for apps.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
apple would never buy bing. nobody wants it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

also a good time to mention that apple has a 90%+ market share of computers that cost >$1000

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that 90% market share stat is ~5 years old, it must be well into the triple digits by now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Perplx posted:

also a good time to mention that apple has a 90%+ market share of computers that cost >$1000

also I believe apple is the only one on the list that is showing actual sales not just units dumped into warehouses at best buy and walmarts across the country.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
meanwhile there are 5 billion people on this planet who can't afford 300$ laptops, let alone >1000$ laptops

gently caress off with rule 36

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Wheany posted:

So elop sends a memo saying " our current platform is poo poo, we're abandoning it and moving to windows", then it takes over a year(?) to get out a windows mobile 7 for mobile phones phone, while they are releasing doa symbian phones every other month.

Immediately after they get a windows 7 phone out, microsoft announces the release on windows 8 in a couple of months and that it will not be backwards compatible with windows 7 phones.

Also windows 8 phones have no official apps for anything and the app store is a cesspool of malware.

the cell phone beta test is over :smug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

i've disabled wifi on my phone because the access point at home on my modem is some old slow pos so I actually do get multiple times faster speeds with 4g.

wtf. how do all of you not have 802.11ac yet with a 50mbps+ connection at home

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Perplx posted:

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anthonypants posted:

it's going to be amazing once all those free windows 10 licenses turn into monthly subscription licenses

this, really. once that free year is up i bet it bricks your machine or disables practically everything but the subscription signup app

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

there are two icons in my system tray demanding i get Windows 10 Private Reserve

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
garbafge

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

this, really. once that free year is up i bet it bricks your machine or disables practically everything but the subscription signup app

delusional

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

delusional

i know right? nobody in their right mind would pay for windows, let alone on a recurring basis

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i've got the giant time capsule and it suits my wifi and wired needs pretty well.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ok ok. maybe they'll be nice and just let you use windows 10 basic bitch edition without any security updates

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

i know right? nobody in their right mind would pay for windows, let alone on a recurring basis

dont know what youre getting at, theyve been giving os x away for free forever. nobody would pay to update it otherwise

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Beeftweeter posted:

wtf. how do all of you not have 802.11ac yet with a 50mbps+ connection at home

the modem is a pos. it only has 100Mbps ethernet too. everything else in my apartment is gigabit

• Locked thread