Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I was half being facetious, half believing (perhaps wrongly) that the Ariel today was a revival of the old motorbike company name. Like the new Triumphs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Haha guys I was just joking, duh.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that a v4? UGHHHH THE SOUND THEY MAKE.
I've posted this before, I must have, but here, have this 4-cylinder motorcycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8R4tYbX5w

:allears:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Toyota back in WRC for 2017, could this finally be the rallying revival I've been waiting for since about 2005? Tommi Makkinen is team principal.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

LiquidRain posted:

I've posted this before, I must have, but here, have this 4-cylinder motorcycle:

Didn't even know those existed, thought the CBR250RR was it. I want one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Farmland Park posted:

Toyota back in WRC for 2017, could this finally be the rallying revival I've been waiting for since about 2005? Tommi Makkinen is team principal.

I doubt it, while WRC cars aren't really based on a car that you can buy from a dealership, there is a big disconnect compared to the 90s WRC

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Homologation actually meaning you have to homologate a model would breath a lot of life into WRC. I don't even think there is an AWD Yaris model.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Didn't even know those existed, thought the CBR250RR was it. I want one.

The four tiny fours were:

CBR250RR (Honda)
ZXR250 (Kawasaki)
GSXR250R (Suzuki)
FZR250R (Yamaha)

I want to sound like an F-1 car when going 60 MPH... Why couldn't they have been brought to the states.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Homologation actually meaning you have to homologate a model would breath a lot of life into WRC. I don't even think there is an AWD Yaris model.

There isn't even a Yaris model with more power than a DOHC 1993 Tercel right now.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 9, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

The four tiny fours were:

CBR250RR (Honda)
ZXR250 (Kawasaki)
GSXR250R (Suzuki)
FZR250R (Yamaha)

I want to sound like an F-1 car when going 60 MPH... Why couldn't they have been brought to the states.

I had a gixxer 250. Fun to ride but the ownership experience is really overrated. You also sound, and therefore look, like a humongous dickhead all the time because it is literally impossible to ride it so it doesn't sound like an F1 car considering 50km/h is 10,000rpm.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slide Hammer posted:

CBR250RR (Honda) I want to sound like an F-1 car when going 60 MPH... Why couldn't they have been brought to the states.
The funniest part is having CBR250R owners come over and ask how they can make their bike sound the same way.

Plugging my own ride in here - sounds decent for a 4 cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NKUs5oLeE

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Spotted this prototype BMW 1-series north of Ingolstadt, Germany.
It looks a bit like mini SUV.

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 9, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

88h88 posted:

If I were gently caress you rich I'd get a Singer then send it over to Japan to Rauh Welt just so I could make all the purists cry. :colbert:

:ssh: it would be a lovely 911 painted up like the Singer in all the photos, I'd keep the Singer as is because I'm not a loving idiot

This really needs to be RBW so it can stand for Ruined By Wankers

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tommychu posted:

There isn't even a Yaris model with more power than a DOHC 1993 Tercel right now.

The gently caress? I thought cars were getting notably more powerful. Like I figured if a modern Yaris is cranking out a buck-six I figured that age of Tercel would be about room temperature, or maybe a wee bit warmer.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 9, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
A twincam Tercel of that vintage was something like 90-100 BHP. I had a 91 singlecam that was 82. Even if the Yaris doesn't have a ton more power it probably has a much flatter torque curve (and doesn't drink oil like a rotary :v: )

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_E_engine#5E all the way to 110 :monocle:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drove an 08 Yaris hatchback for a while, even at 100 hp it was pretty fun. Had a relatively stiff suspension so it felt lively and the car didn't weigh much so off the line it got all it could out of the power it did have. Not going to win any drag races tossing it into a corner was entertaining.

Awesome cup holders too. :colbert:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

88h88 posted:

If I were gently caress you rich I'd get a Singer then send it over to Japan to Rauh Welt just so I could make all the purists cry. :colbert:

:ssh: it would be a lovely 911 painted up like the Singer in all the photos, I'd keep the Singer as is because I'm not a loving idiot
If I were gently caress you rich, I'd have a 944 all singered up.

With cupholders.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Falken posted:

With cupholders.

Same but a 928. And then take on dirt trails

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I was half being facetious, half believing (perhaps wrongly) that the Ariel today was a revival of the old motorbike company name. Like the new Triumphs are.

If they ever made a new square four, though, it would be the coolest thing ever. The coolest bikes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

As was posted earlier:

revdrkevind posted:

Correct, the current "Arial" company just uses the name of the old bike maker.
They just use the name. I assume they have some kind of agreement with the owners club for the old bikes, as technically that organisation is "Ariel Motors Ltd", whereas the cars are made by "Ariel Motor Company Ltd". It could be that as their areas of business are different (one is a society/club, one is a manufacturer). it's not considered to be a conflict.

You Am I posted:

I doubt it, while WRC cars aren't really based on a car that you can buy from a dealership, there is a big disconnect compared to the 90s WRC

1500quidporsche posted:

The rules for racing in a rally or saloon car class should be "you can strip the interior and put a cage in it, but everything else should be off the showroom floor".

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Das Volk posted:

This really needs to be RBW so it can stand for Ruined By Wankers

I just assumed it was Rife with Badness

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

InitialDave posted:

The rules for racing in a rally or saloon car class should be "you can strip the interior and put a cage in it, but everything else should be off the showroom floor".

:hf: hell yes.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

davebo posted:

I just assumed it was Rife with Badness

But like, Michael Jackson bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

I nodded so hard in agreement that I got whiplash.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Falken posted:

With cupholders.

Worse would be RWB with cup holders I think.

Mar 25, 2004

88h88 posted:

Worse would be RWB with cup holders I think.

Cup......holders?????? Not in my Porsche.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

655321 posted:

You really needed to use this emote :wotwot:

Mar 25, 2004

Torn Quad Jones posted:

You really needed to use this emote :wotwot:

drat, missed opportunity of a lifetime! I'll never make that mistake again.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5KE44xluo

Relevant to thread title

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

LiquidRain posted:

That video reminded me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvWxhhi0_yk

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If they ever made a new square four, though, it would be the coolest thing ever. The coolest bikes.

I'd be first in line, day one, for a new square four.

InitialDave posted:

As was posted earlier:
They just use the name. I assume they have some kind of agreement with the owners club for the old bikes, as technically that organisation is "Ariel Motors Ltd", whereas the cars are made by "Ariel Motor Company Ltd". It could be that as their areas of business are different (one is a society/club, one is a manufacturer). it's not considered to be a conflict.

Ah, I missed that. My mistake.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

D C posted:

But like, Michael Jackson bad.

Come on man. Sure the car looks pretty dumb but it doesn't molest kids or anything.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

KingPave posted:

That video reminded me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvWxhhi0_yk

The V8 sounds the best in there to me. The high pitch in the 10 and 12's make my ears tingle in a bad way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kidney Stone posted:

Spotted this prototype BMW 1-series north of Ingolstadt, Germany.
It looks a bit like mini SUV.

That's probably going to be the wrong thread for it, sadly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

655321 posted:

That's what they call the chauffeur

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

DiggityDoink posted:

The V8 sounds the best in there to me. The high pitch in the 10 and 12's make my ears tingle in a bad way.

I'm the opposite - the V6 obviously sounds the worst, but I think the V10 and V12 sound amazing. The V8 is merely okay (for a loving F1 car).

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

davebo posted:

Come on man. Sure the car looks pretty dumb but it doesn't molest kids or anything.

I think you and I have different interpretations of what he meant by "Michael Jackson bad." Cuz I thought of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUXAEzaC3Q

Which, as far as Michael Jackson songs go, is pretty great.

Also, RWBs are loving baller and look cool :colbert:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

655321 posted:

http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/cupholder/cupholderlate/

:v:

I would smash those cups with my elbow so gofdamn much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went to some museums and stuff and saw some cars, I'm not gonna slam you with all the pics, so i'll just link the gallery and my favorite vehicle of the bunch, a 4x4 conversion mercury woody wagon

Here's the gallery, it should be noted i am a terrible photographer: http://imgur.com/a/np5R6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I was going to go say hi to Boots Riley over there, but this thing showed up and I got distracted.