Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I can't believe the Republican primary is already delivering and it's still summer 2015. Even if they manage to whittle the field down the sound bites that come out of this debate and this debate alone are going to be depraved.

Brilliant power play by the GOP. What are the odds on Donald Trump ACTUALLY filing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

no you cocksuckers dont do this to me

First they cancel Firefly, now this!!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That story points out that Jeb and Cruz have already filed for extensions to file their financial disclosures and Walker's 30 days to file doesn't expire before the first debate so none of theirs are due before the first debate. Is FOX going to force everyone to file the disclosure or be excluded? FOX and the GOP may have just poo poo their pants more than they know.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 10, 2015

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I see a lot of posters in this thread saying that Bernie Sanders doesn't have minority appeal, which is something that kind of baffles me. I mean we're talking about the candidate that got his start protesting segregated housing, one of the only two sitting congressmen who marched on DC with Martin Luther King, and who doesn't shut up about black unemployment. I think it's kind of Sanders' fault so far that this stuff isn't getting reported on, but will minorities really be so shy voting for the guy that Barack Obama campaigned for in 2006?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Also,Trump is now making fun of the paralyzed. Republicans, please nominate this guy.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Ted Cruz's new book is being kept off of the New York Times best sellers list because "the overwhelming preponderance of evidence was that sales were limited to strategic bulk purchases."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

Also,Trump is now making fun of the paralyzed. Republicans, please nominate this guy.

Since there's no way the universe is kind enough to give him the nomination, I wonder how he will finally flame out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nanomashoes posted:

quote:

Not content with insulting a female reporter’s intelligence and professionalism, Donald "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Trump apparently mocked a conservative critic for being paralyzed.

Trump extension continues to own :allears:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I can't believe the Republican primary is already delivering and it's still summer 2015. Even if they manage to whittle the field down the sound bites that come out of this debate and this debate alone are going to be depraved.

Brilliant power play by the GOP. What are the odds on Donald Trump ACTUALLY filing?

This is pretty tame compared to 2011. At this point there had already been 2 debates and my liver was feeling it. I barely have a buzz so far this election cycle. gently caress you Prince Reibus. This poo poo only happens once every 4 years and now you wanna ruin my fun for such a base motive as, "we don't want our general candidate to dirty his suit jacket in the primary." I now understand how football fans feel when they talk about cutting regular season games to prevent traumatic brain injuries. I want my GOP bloodsport god dammit.

edit: Here's a protip for Mr. Reibus if you're reading this: Your party sucks poo poo and preventing debates ain't gonna change that, bro. Sanders gonna stomp all you mother fuckers. Kill you're parents. Sanders/Booker 2016

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 10, 2015

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nanomashoes posted:

I mean we're talking about the candidate that got his start protesting segregated housing, one of the only two sitting congressmen who marched on DC with Martin Luther King, and who doesn't shut up about black unemployment. I think it's kind of Sanders' fault so far that this stuff isn't getting reported on, but will minorities really be so shy voting for the guy that Barack Obama campaigned for in 2006?
If I were running his campaign, I'd let his record stand as self-evident for now and pull out guns like "out marching with MLK" when Hilary triangulates to Sander's positions.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dolash posted:

Edit: Trump winning a plurality and the convention handing the nomination to someone else would be the high watermark for American democracy.

Today's electorate is so unfamiliar with conventions that serve a purpose beyond optics I can hardly imagine the mental gymnastics we'd see out of This Is Are Country if a brokered convention nominated Jeb!

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

I don't know anything about YouGov and polls don't mean anything this early but...:siren::siren::siren:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For what it's worth (probably not much) Trump has said he's going to file his finances and won't need either of the 45 day extensions.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but a lot of what I hear is that you absolutely must make it to the RNC/Fox debate. Is this an actual requirement/rule of the Republican convention as far as picking the nomination, or is it just assumed that you need this in order to be able to win the nomination, which is otherwise still going to go through the primary process?

There's nothing in the RNC nomination rules about debates.

Stereotype posted:

You don't need to do anything to win the nomination. The RNC can basically pick whoever they want and are not required to have any democracy, but they obviously can not do that because Republicans would be enraged if their party didn't give them any say in who won (that's their job, against minorities).

However I wouldn't be surprised if Trump gets a plurality 40% of the popular vote in the primary and they hand it to whoever is the runner up, and there will be a President Hillary.

This isn't how the RNC nomination rules process works. The delegate selection criteria for the convention are locked in at the previous convention and can only be changed at the next convention. In 2012 the RNC adopted rules that all delegates, are bound to vote on the first ballot for their pledged candidate, which in the case of caucuses will be determined by the results of the precinct caucus vote. If more than 50% of the delegates are pledged to a candidate before the convention, that person is the nominee. There are a few unpledged delegates, like the state party chairs, and there can be credential fights and so on, but it's a fairly locked down process.

The Democrats, on the other hand, being Democrats, let basically every Democratic national office holder and all the Governors and all the past DNC chairs and all the past Presidents attend the convention as unpledged delegates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie resurrects his "respect not love" message from the 2012 RNC for his first ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuidwMSgKI

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Martin O'Malley will crash your picnic and recite poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeWl137Kos

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So WHEN Donald Trump doesnt get the nomination, how likely is it for him to run independent and just keep this chuckletrain running :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So WHEN Donald Trump doesnt get the nomination, how likely is it for him to run independent and just keep this chuckletrain running :allears:

He's said he might do that if he doesn't like the nominee, imaging a Trump campaign past June 2016 is putting the cart waaaaaaaaaay before the horse.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Martin O'Malley will crash your picnic and recite poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeWl137Kos

O'Malley is doing a drat fine job getting the "Awkward" vote. :v:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

He's said he might do that if he doesn't like the nominee, imaging a Trump campaign past June 2016 is putting the cart waaaaaaaaaay before the horse.

I'm doing just fine watching the current Trump campaign :allears:

Hell, we have a month to go before the first debate and if he keeps polling like this, no amount of Fox News trickery will keep him out of the first debate.

Here's my question though: Does Trump even go to the debate? What if he decides "My IQ is higher than theirs, I'm so awesome I don't need to debate them"?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

"Fox News is stressing that it hasn’t changed the criteria, and instead is simply clarifying them."

Yeah uh-huh :rolleyes:

Why does FoxNews always have to destroy my dreams? Sure, it'll boost his cred to be excluded in such a fashion, but we need him to attend at least one real debate.

BanjoFish posted:

I don't know anything about YouGov and polls don't mean anything this early but...:siren::siren::siren:

Welcome to two pages ago.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alter Ego posted:

I'm doing just fine watching the current Trump campaign :allears:

Hell, we have a month to go before the first debate and if he keeps polling like this, no amount of Fox News trickery will keep him out of the first debate.

Here's my question though: Does Trump even go to the debate? What if he decides "My IQ is higher than theirs, I'm so awesome I don't need to debate them"?

No matter how huge his IQ, The Donald is physically incapable of turning down the amount of attention a national Debate would provide.

Really though, the funniest thing right now is how the RNC attempts to get Trump to reign it in or find ways to shoulder him out are just making him stronger.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Alter Ego posted:

There's absolutely no way his ego lets him skip out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is that the PPACA?

Rand is trying so hard...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some quick advice, Huckabee: if you're going to steal an old LBJ ad you should probably take out the "Courtesy of the Democratic National Committee" text. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYD8MzHvig

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Joementum posted:

Some quick advice, Huckabee: if you're going to steal an old LBJ ad you should probably take out the "Courtesy of the Democratic National Committee" text. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYD8MzHvig

But if you're going to use that text, I can't think of any better place for Huckabee to put it than over footage of a nuclear explosion and absolutely nothing else.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Trump doesn't file paperwork with the FEC, what's the worst that can happen? Does anybody believe the FEC will do its job and enforce the rules?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I see a lot of posters in this thread saying that Bernie Sanders doesn't have minority appeal, which is something that kind of baffles me. I mean we're talking about the candidate that got his start protesting segregated housing, one of the only two sitting congressmen who marched on DC with Martin Luther King, and who doesn't shut up about black unemployment. I think it's kind of Sanders' fault so far that this stuff isn't getting reported on, but will minorities really be so shy voting for the guy that Barack Obama campaigned for in 2006?

It's not that Sanders himself entirely lacks minority appeal; rather, it's that the polls show him lagging pretty far behind Clinton with minorities at the moment. He hasn't really been campaigning towards minorities yet, either, focusing most of his efforts on his preexisting base: white liberals in the north. That doesn't mean he can't win over the minority vote, just that he hasn't done so yet and hasn't really started trying.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

DOOP posted:

If Trump doesn't file paperwork with the FEC, what's the worst that can happen? Does anybody believe the FEC will do its job and enforce the rules?

Even if they don't, it gives a legit excuse for the RNC to toss him out.

I think he'll do it. The crazy bastard will actually do it, though I suspect the disclosure he files is going to be full of so many insane claims and contradictions it'll be practically useless. He's polling in a position where he has an actual shot at the nomination (or at least can tell himself he does). His ego won't let him step out now.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

Even if they don't, it gives a legit excuse for the RNC to toss him out.

I think he'll do it. The crazy bastard will actually do it, though I suspect the disclosure he files is going to be full of so many insane claims and contradictions it'll be practically useless. He's polling in a position where he has an actual shot at the nomination (or at least can tell himself he does). His ego won't let him step out now.

Even then, as long as there are no (egregious) laws broken, no one who has decided to vote for Trump will care. They've already elevated him to Reagan status.

Everyone who's not crazy already knows that Trump's got more financial skeletons in his closet than the entire GOP field combined, but the non-crazy people aren't going to vote for him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

For what it's worth (probably not much) Trump has said he's going to file his finances and won't need either of the 45 day extensions.

There's nothing in the RNC nomination rules about debates.

This isn't how the RNC nomination rules process works. The delegate selection criteria for the convention are locked in at the previous convention and can only be changed at the next convention. In 2012 the RNC adopted rules that all delegates, are bound to vote on the first ballot for their pledged candidate, which in the case of caucuses will be determined by the results of the precinct caucus vote. If more than 50% of the delegates are pledged to a candidate before the convention, that person is the nominee. There are a few unpledged delegates, like the state party chairs, and there can be credential fights and so on, but it's a fairly locked down process.

The Democrats, on the other hand, being Democrats, let basically every Democratic national office holder and all the Governors and all the past DNC chairs and all the past Presidents attend the convention as unpledged delegates.

Yeah, the 2016 RNC would be hilarious if they used the Democrats voting rules.

Otoh, it could be even more fun if, somehow, Jeb! or Scott doesn't get 50%.

Unrelated, but Re: Trump; he still hasn't filed his FEC disclosure forms, and I can't possibly see him being willing to disclose so much about his company. So this is all likely for not.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Isn't there a rule where candidates cannot take part in non-RNC sponsored debates? Yes, Fox and CNN are getting around It by having "forums" but if Donald Trump gets dropped off of this one and tries to create his own, would any of the other candidates risk it? Also, no television station would pick up the debate so where would it even be shown. MSNBC? :frogc00l:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Isn't there a rule where candidates cannot take part in non-RNC sponsored debates?

Reince has said that no candidate who participates in a non-sanctioned debate should be invited to a sanctioned debate. It's unclear how or whether he can enforce this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, the 2016 RNC would be hilarious if they used the Democrats voting rules.

Otoh, it could be even more fun if, somehow, Jeb! or Scott doesn't get 50%.

Unrelated, but Re: Trump; he still hasn't filed his FEC disclosure forms, and I can't possibly see him being willing to disclose so much about his company. So this is all likely for not.

If Trump has actively planned this i'm pretty sure like others he'll release only I think the required 3 years of financial statements. Similar to what Romney did.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

If Trump has actively planned this i'm pretty sure like others he'll release only I think the required 3 years of financial statements. Similar to what Romney did.

Donald? Planned. ahahahahaha

But even three years would be more than he's ever publicly released about the inner-working of his "empire."

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

A month ago I would have agreed with you, but at this point he's gone in balls deep. He's higher in the polls than anyone imagined, and he's already burned a ton of bridges in his business that it would feel like a waste for him to not play this thing out. He's long past the point where he can about face and say "sorry Mexican's, you guys are great, no hard feelings?" and expect to get back his tv show and Macy's and Univision deals, among others. I never thought I'd say this but I think the Trump campaign train is running at full steam and will continue to do so till at least Iowa.

This may make me a terrible human being, but the same part of me that can't look away from a 10 car pile up on the highway, wants to vote for Trump in the primary to see how big a disaster his campaign in the general would be. And in the <1% chance he wins the nomination AND the presidency (let's say Hillary murders a puppy on live TV), we can at least expect a record number of congressional veto overrides to keep the federal government from completely imploding.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Reince has said that no candidate who participates in a non-sanctioned debate should be invited to a sanctioned debate. It's unclear how or whether he can enforce this.

Trump is Kobayashi staging his own Hotdog Eating Competition in protest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'd honestly like to know more about his actual Campaign, specifically who is staffers are. How much money is he taking in etc..

http://www.p2016.org/trump/trumporg.html

This is all I found on it, looks like he just released some stuff on his staff which was why I could find articles.

Oh I didn't see this part

Iowa

quote:

State Director Chuck Laudner
(reported by Breitbart on Feb. 24, 2015...advisor) On Jan. 24, 2015 the Des Moines Register reported that Laudner had been named camapign coordinator for Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund. Campaign manager on Sam Clovis' U.S. Senate primary campaign in 2014. Prominent supporter of Rick Santorum in 2011-12 Iowa Caucus campaign. Managed the anti-retention campaign (Iowa for Freedom) in 2010. Executive director of the Republican Party of Iowa, 2007-08. Chief of staff to Rep. Steve King, 2003-06, and senior policy advisor for several months at the end of 2006. In 2002 Laudner guided Steve King to victory in four-way special nominating convention in the 5th CD. Managed Bill Salier's 2002 primary campaign against Sen. Chuck Grassley. Worked on Steve Forbes' 2000 campaign.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 10, 2015

• Locked thread